[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts as a daily?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: Nissan_Skyline_R32_GT-R_001.jpg (312 KB, 1280x715) Image search: [Google]
Nissan_Skyline_R32_GT-R_001.jpg
312 KB, 1280x715
Thoughts as a daily?
>>
>>14438037
Are you prepared to drive a right hand drive car on left hand roads?
>>
>>14438051

Where I learned to drive it was like that, it has always felt more natural to me. IDK maybe because thats what I started with
>>
>>14438037
Can you afford to buy more than one?
>>
>>14438122

In what reference? If I go through with this I would also import some pats that would be hard to find in the states as extras.
>>
>>14438037
prepare for guys jacking it to your car every morning
>>
>>14438037
Prepare to lose to Corollas on the toegay
>>
So what makes you think a 25 year old Twin Turbo AWD Japanese Car that was never sold here and can only be insured with liability coverage would be a good daily driver OP?
>>
>>14438162
I wonder if insurance covers that... anyway the big shit where I am are the Italian sports cars, I dont think that a 25+ year old nissan would turn many heads. If anyone knows this car I would be pleasantly surprised
>>
>>14438180
Look, this may seem like a dumb reason but I have always loved old Nissans and Datsuns and a friend of mine explained the process to me and I was a little excited. You might call me stupid but I am a huge fan of the car and thought of owning one is pretty neat.
>>
epik simply epik
>>
>"car enthusiast" board
>every mildly sporty street car
>no dude you can't DD that it's too extreme!
>>
>>14438239

I don't know about the others but I never daily my fun car or parallel park it out of fear of someone fucking my shit up. It's bad enough that my dumbass mother in law parks her shit box so close to my bumper.
>>
>>14438037

no, youre 16 and cant afford it.
>>
>>14438239

This is objectively a bad DD. RHD, terrible fuel efficiency, firm ride and the seats hurt after an hour. It's a great car for fun but as a DD you need something else if you want to keep your sanity.
>>
>>14438407
oh c'mon, shut it. Who are you to say what is and is not a DD
>>
>>14438407
>>14438419
As a DD you would probably want to sit on the left side of the car
>>
>>14438311
>>14438407
>effeminate numale millennial problems
>>
>>14438407
I own an R34 that I DD in the summer, it's really not bad. You get used to the RHD in about an hour, I actually had more trouble going back to LHD in the winter. The fuel economy is surprisingly good, and the seats aren't that bad.

The ride is firm as fuck, even with the shocks adjusted as soft as they'll go, so if the roads are shit like where I live you gotta have a rout planned and spare cash for when something inevitably wears out. Some parts may be hard to find, If its a GTR its almost guaranteed to be bagged to shit, you may not be able to get an English service manual, and people ALWAYS want to talk to you about it. These are the reasons to not DD a skyline.
>>
>>14438037
No. I wouldn't even daily a gtst. Old, expensive to maintain, including gtst's if you aren't in Japan, australia or new zealand.

Perfectly great as a few times a week/weekend driver though.
>>
>>14438037
Get a Celica instead.

You will regret driving an AWD boat off the boost in traffic. Get something easier to live with (and more fuel efficient, and less expensive for maintenance)
>>
Owned one for a month or two and then it got stolen - pretty much fine as a DD outside of being stolen before you even finish parking it.

Suspension isn't as much of a pain as a Type R, though make sure to get one with stock springs since retards seem to think that no body roll and no suspension travel makes a car handle better.

Wouldn't buy anything but a GTR in the states though since there's always more maintenance shit coming up on skylines and you can't just go to supercheap for the gear over there.
>>
>>14438037
I did for a few months, then realised-
A: It WILL get stolen
B: It's not happy as a DD
C: I will go mad and broke from the maintenance/fuel costs
>>
>>14438419
Look, you can DD anything but some things are less practical than others.

An R32 is fun but it's also a magnet for trouble. Cops, envious faggots, thieving niggers etc. Not to mention all the shit >>14438407 listed.
>>
>>14438037
I daily drive my 33 GTR.

There's some pros and cons to it.

Pros:
>You're driving a GTR and always have enough power to do whatever you want
>You get cheers and thumbs up from people who know what it is
>AWD is really good

Cons:
>Coilovers are not comfortable
>You get negative attention occasionally (people trying to steal your badges)
>Prepare to pay out the ass

Most people think that skyline GTR's are cheap because you can get a good one cheap in australia.

This is wrong, it's a 100 thousand dollar car, just not on the surface. The maintenance costs will rape your asshole a new one, trust me.

I'm 60 grand in the hole already, but do i regret it? No, it's a blast to drive.
>>
File: ooooh.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
ooooh.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1728
>>14438455

I don't mind the gutted rear, the AO48 tires, or that it's loud, and it's stiff, It brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it, I can do it for hours.

What I do mind is Chung King gook or Stacy in her SUV fucking my shit up.
>>
>>14438234
Yeah, which is why you'd pay $15-25,000 for a 25 year old car that isn't much faster than a 10 year old $15,000 350Z/WRX STi/Evo around a road course. Perfectly fine.

So what makes you want it as a DAILY DRIVER instead of something more sensible like a used Prius or Camry? Maybe keep the Skyline as a SECOND WEEKEND CAR so you're not shitting yourself when you have to overnight parts from Japan after breaking some obscure part on a Sunday before work on Monday from driving it 5 days a week 80 miles a day?
>>
>>14438562
Can confirm.

If you have a skyline GTR you are loaded. They're somewhat cheap upfront these days, but all the hidden costs rack up very, very fast.

My motto was to always put aside what you pay for fuel in maintenance costs for later.
>>
>>14438075

Burma?
>>
>>14438594
It'd probably be a little less if you can wrench on it yourself though I'd rather just get an R34 GT-T. Cheaper all around and your average normie can't tell the difference between Skylines anyway.
>>
>>14438564
>What I do mind is Chung King gook or Stacy in her SUV fucking my shit up.

I drive in Sydney and its a fucking nightmare, add to that you'll have every cunt with P-plates and a VT commo trying to race you and kebabs will probably steal it
>>
>>14438606
Its 60 grand sofar for me and i've been wrenching everything i can. Give me a second and i'll post some pictures of the diff i was installing after the old one shit itself.

If i was not wrenching half of it, it would be even more.
>>
File: 1453767749043.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
1453767749043.png
1 MB, 852x854
>>14438311
>>14438564
>OH NO WHAT IF SOMEONE BUMPS INTO MY SHITBOX COROLLA
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>14438622
>>
>>14438576
>why would anyone want to do what makes them happy and not do what I feel is the most practical thing!?!

>Prius or Camry
Why are you posting on a board for car enthusiasts?
>>
>>14438622
I take it she's a labour of love, then. Just don't get married or the missus will try and force you to sell it, or worse.
>>
>>14438606
My R34GTT was an awesome daily driver, occasional track car and all-round, reliable and problem free little wagon.
About the only shit was the cops would always pull you over and its generally a good idea to load it up with alarms, immobilisers and kill switches to make an aircraft pre-flight check look short.
>>
>>14438630
>>14438622
>>14438562
And don't get me wrong, it's the best car ever (at least in my eyes) because it's simply so much fun.

Every dollar is worth it, just be aware that these cars are not "cheap" or easy.

I thought people were exaggerating as well, turns out they were not.

There's something magical about all 4 wheels powering you through a corner at triple the advised speed, without even barely approaching the limit or sliding a fucking inch.

Oh and for those wondering about tyres on a GTR, go for a p zero corsa system. I tried a few before i settled on the P zeros, they are on fucking rails.
>>
>>14438638
There's a difference here. He's got solid advice, I very much look forward to the day I don't have to daily my 32 anymore.

I love the car but it is NOT a good DD if you're on any kind of budget. Especially in America.

By all means if OP wants to go for it then go for it but it's not the best choice to try and DD a 25 year old GT-R.
>>
>>14438628

Stay salty, bitch nigga lmao.

>>14438617

We get that too. I see so many fucked up rears and cars with fucked up front ends driven by new drivers and ricers on a daily basis.
>>
>>14438638
There's a difference between being a responsible car enthusiast and a reckless car enthusiast. Its called a second car or using public transportation. You can't be a car enthusiast when you're unemployed and can't afford shit.

And there's the whole Datsuns rusting out very easily, uncommon parts, RHD, many insurance companies not wanting to insure RHD imports with collision/comp, complexity of a AWD Twin Turbo car with 25 year old rubber/bearings/etc that cost the equivalent of $60-70,000 today, etc,
>>
>>14438673
It's doable, just be aware coilovers are not comfortable (but you can get comfy seats so there's workarounds...

The real thing is just the hidden cost. Buy a skyline GTR if you want a supercar that will eat modern cars alive, despite being 20 years old....just be expected to pay out the ass.

Or, for the same amount of money you'll spend making it fast and ON THE ROAD you can pick up a 1-200 grand "supercar" that will still be plenty fast, with a fuckton more luxury.

It's up to what you as a person want, honestly.
>>
>>14438677
I'm not salty, after all I didn't blow $6k+ on a shitty gutted drift project corolla with mismatched wheels.
>>
File: 1371421683047.gif (1 MB, 266x268) Image search: [Google]
1371421683047.gif
1 MB, 266x268
>>14438679
>you have to have a shitty econobox or take the bus to be a car enthusiast
>you can't have a job unless you have an econobox or take take bus
>>
File: 148b581af4aee0e6e09880e0780aa684.jpg (327 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
148b581af4aee0e6e09880e0780aa684.jpg
327 KB, 1620x1080
>>14438692

>All that projection.

Keep hatin', bitch nigga :^)
>>
>>14438691
This is pretty accurate.

For 150k you can get a r35 GTR, which is hella more comfortable and still crazy fast, but you can also get the older GTR and bomb 100 grand on making it as fast as possible, which will buy you enough power to take down aventadors and 35's.

Skyline GTR's are for pure speed and fun cornering like you're god. Expect zero creature comforts and don't expect it to be cheap.
>>
>>14438628

Your post seems lonely, so here's your (You).
>>
>>14438695
>you have to drive your obscure unreliable pristine example of a car to work during rush hour every day even when the roads have ten tons of salt on them instead of picking up a cheap shitbox to beat on while the nice car sits in a warm cozy garage

ok then
>>
>>14438711
>commuting in traffic
>living where they salt the roads
>driving a boring car when you claim to be a car enthusiast
Guess life just sucks when you are a wagecuck
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 360x267) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 360x267
>>14438729
Nigga you a fucking parking lot bitch for some high end shop

And you daily a fucking 60's Falcon, which I'll remind you is easy as shit to get parts for.

Stop pretending like you're some hot shit "enthusiast"
>>
>>14438742
>says real enthusiasts take the bus or drive a Prius
>gets offended at the prospect of someone driving an interesting car or working in the field
Maybe there is an enthusiast buried somewhere down in there, otherwise you wouldn't be so clearly frustrated
>>
>>14438705
You don't even know what that word means.

Makes sense though; only a retard would spend that much on a shitty weeaboo car.
>>
>>14438765
>implying I'm the other kid
I just can't stand what an uptight cunt you're being because you drive a (shitty) Falcon and have taken pictures sitting in some expensive cars.

You can call yourself an enthusiast all you want, but that doesn't make you not a cunt.

I could give a shit that you're a parking lot bitch for them. Cool story bro.

What I want you to do is stop commenting on a topic you're unfamiliar with.

Falcon drivability =/= R32 GTR drivability

Get that through your thick head
>>
>All this talk about fuel mileage

It cant be that bad, can it? Surely its better than a LS1 or GT Mustang?

If you can get 20mpg mixed then its not much of a problem...
>>
>>14438765
There's a midway point somewhere between DD'ing an R32 GT-R and commuting in a soulless shitbox.

>>14438776
Bread on hood or fuck off, busposter.
>>
>>14438776
tell me more about your 06 base model mustang is the best thing since sliced bread
>>
>>14438455

>I drive real cars that are not comfortable for my commute just so everyone knows I'm manly grrrrrr

I love my gtr but fuck I do not want to drive 40 minutes on shit roads in it. Plus gook and his brother will hit me in the parking lot, which means I have to spend a month waiting for parts to arrive to fix whatever they hit
>>
>>14438795
Just sort of trying to figure out the metric to burgerspermile
My old R32 (modified) was about 25mpg (9-10km/l) on the highway, around town it was about 14-15mpg (4-5km/l), which is pretty typical of most of the TT-6's of the era.
They like a drink
>>
>>14438794
Aha, now that you've told us you aren't mad in 5 different ways we believe you
>>
>>14438828
>lol u jus mad bro
Stay assblasted you fucking loser
>>
>>14438802
>>14438819
>some overweight weeaboos jump to the corollas defense

It's like pottery.
>>
>>14438037
I revere skylines mostly because of Fast and Furious and Need For Speed Underground. Someone explain to me why they're good cars in real life?
>>
>>14438848
I'm "assblasted" that other people take the bus and drive econoboxes? The only emotion I feel towards these people is confusion as to why they would spend time posting on car boards/forums, it would be like going to /ck/ and saying GUYS YOU CAN ONLY COOK ON THE WEEKENDS YOU SHOULD BE EATING FAST FOOD OR FROZEN PIZZA 90% OF THE TIME
>>
I don't like the new one, but the old ones are a relatively robust (when new) car that can afford to be driven badly without killing the driver and have an engine design that takes relatively well to modification, though the engine is hugely heavy.

From a country that has thousands of them, they're not super special, but they're better to drive than some of the other 90s Japanese coupes like a Supra.
>>
>>14438896
They were fast for their time, their engines can be modded to produce crazy horsepower(same with supras), awd handling
>>
File: mootaussies.png (43 KB, 404x238) Image search: [Google]
mootaussies.png
43 KB, 404x238
>>14438742
>>14438765
heartbreaker is an aussie?

explains alot
>>
>>14438968
Fortunately not, but I can see why they are always so upset with the spiders, 56k modems, no fun allowed, and whatnot, can't really blame them for their behavior on the board
>>
>>14438206
Nigga pls, Skylines in the US are a big fucking deal. I'd be surprised if someone didn't recognize it.

I saw an R34 once and almost snapped my neck.
>>
>>14438984
least out skylines don't get crushed
>>
>>14438927
It would seem you're assblasted that other people can afford the option to keep their fun car nicely stored in a garage until they want to drive it instead of HAVING to drive it because it's their only car.

Sorry you don't have choices like others, but no need to try and bring them down to your level.

You're just a bitter old poorfag.

>>14438968
No, he's American. He has a 64(5?) falcon that looks and runs like shit. But since it's a 1960's econobox and not a 1980's econobox then that means he's a real enthusiast.
>>
>>14438968
He's American, how the fuck do you not know they sold the Falcon in the US in the 60s? He doesn't even have a Falcon it's a Mercury Comet. Which is similar but far from identical.
>>
>>14439000
Yeah but you are a 16-25 year old white or asian male that likes cars, not everyone is in your demo

>>14439002
But I do have a second practical car, and am likely going to buy another in a few months, why would that mean that it's impossible or unreasonable to DD an oddball, classic, exotic, etc.?
>>
>>14438234
then get a datsun 240z you'll get a lot more attention from that and there are more parts for that than ur skyline. I don't really see what the problem is here
>>
>>14439021
>But I do have a second practical car, and am likely going to buy another in a few months, why would that mean that it's impossible or unreasonable to DD an oddball, classic, exotic, etc.?

So what is your explanation for this complete logic circle?

>>why would anyone want to do what makes them happy and not do what I feel is the most practical thing!?!
>>Prius or Camry
>Why are you posting on a board for car enthusiasts?
>>
>>14439051
What are you talking about? The discussion is whether it's feasible or desirable to drive an "impractical" car. It is, and if you want to, you should.
>>
>>14439077
You

>op asks if he should
>people saying it's not a good idea
>>BUD IF HE WANNA DO DAT DEN HE SHULD
>it's a bad idea, they're expensive
>>IF HE A REAL ENTHUSIAST HE WULD DRIVE IT AND IGNOR U HATERS
>he could still buy the car and get a boring DD, like a Prius
>>PRIUS!!!! WAT DA FUG NO GET OUT U NON ENTHUSIASTS!

You.
>>
File: cartoon.png (25 KB, 810x800) Image search: [Google]
cartoon.png
25 KB, 810x800
>>14439219
Not discerning any point from your post, does it have anything to do with this thread?
>>
>>14438407
>terrible fuel efficiency
It's better than a Evo or RX7
>firm ride
One an R32 it's not bad, you won't really notice it
>RHD
Why don't you live in a country where they drive on the correct side of the road?

It's a fine dd. The only reason I wouldn't is because it's an older, desirable car going up in value.
>>
>>14438562
>>14438663
>maintenance costs
I agree it's not a cheap car to maintain, but I think you guys in Australia get doubly raped because it's not that bad on my end. And yes the GT-R badge means inflated price for no real reason
>>
I'm gonna be the spoilsport who says that he's driven 32 GTRs and been underwhelmed by them. I'd buy one at Aussie prices and if I were in an RHD country, but here in the US, prices are ridiculous and they're a pain in the ass. By the time you're done getting and legalizing a nice one, and once you figure in parts and maintenance costs, a 996 GT3, 997 C2S/C4S, or an E92 M3 become really attractive options.

>>14438691
Bit of a correction to this.

Coilovers CAN be quite comfortable, IF you get good ones (which the car deserves) and not some TEIN/HKS/etc tuner shitbox ones. Motion Control Suspension or JRZ are great brands that are relatively affordable in the scheme of Skyline budget things. My friend daily drove an E92 M3 on MCS with pretty stiff Swift springs (around 10/12kg IIRC) and I was absolutely blown away when I rode in it, it felt like a factory sports car ride on the street.

>>14438663
Interesting that you went on the P Zero Corsas, we weren't that impressed with them on the 991 GT3. What else have you tried? I might suggest Hankook TDs, they're similar in performance and have the nice side benefit of costing around half as much.
>>
>>14439352
Oh, shit, I'm wrong. I forgot, the stock tires on the GT3 were Dunlop, it was the 997 that came on the P Zero Corsa. I think we may have ended up trying the PZC on the 991 after changing wheels and liked them.
>>
>>14439313
Main benefit to having a Skyline in somewhere like Australia is that there is quite a bit of support for them, got to remember we've had these here and raced them for over 20 years. So if you do get hit with some weird shit like the ATTESA doing something weird or you need parts made for some kind of mad-cunt weekend race car, it is here. Often its not cheap, but cheaping out just means tears later on and its not Wang Chins xtraspecial die-cast fuckery that will kill you.
>>
don't attempt to dd a car that you cant get parts at napa for. too many little things can go wrong with a 25 yr old car. even if you have the ability to fix it in a parking lot, you may not be able to get parts leading to towing and downtime. if you're stuck on driving an import get one with at least a usdm equivalent engine 3oozx supa rx7 evo,
>>
File: 1447036070370.jpg (50 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1447036070370.jpg
50 KB, 719x719
>>14438850

>salty ass nigga getting butt frustrated over my car.

Butthurt per gallons is high lmao
>>
>>14438819
It's much funner than the civics farting around and it has the track pack. Plus I can finally pick up High School girls
>>
>>14438311
I want to daily an 86, you're lucky dude
>>
>>14438825
Well there you go.

If people DD V8 cars than this is no worse.
>>
>>14439298

that may be the case when you had yours, but mine sucks fuel. Ive never driven an evo so I can't compare but I mine is pretty bad.

Your last point is huge, since I don't want to leave a car like that parked outside where i won't be able to check on it for a while.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.