[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5 stroke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1024x576
So why isnt it mass produced for asian cars? What are the drawbacks that keep it from being more than a working concept and not in lots of production cars, or is it and im just a retard
>>
Post an animation and explanation of what's happening
>>
>>14427848
pistons on the sides are the firing pistons, which exhaust into the center piston for additional expansion before exiting the engine.
>they could make it even more efficient by adding water injection on the center piston
>>
>>14427860

so the centre piston is actuating something? because it just looks like an empty cylinder in that picture

also who cares about third world countries, engines are for countries with fuel to spare poor countries can ride donkeys idgaf
>>
>>14427865
climate change affects rich countries too
>>
>>14427874
>climate change

>le ebin global warming meme

oh boy who let Al Gore in here

goddamn I hope Trump is elected and you faggots are forced back into the woods
>>
>>14427886
1/10
>>
>>14427865
it's at the bottom of it's stroke, where as the side pistons are toward the top of their stroke
>>
>>14427910

>giving me the odds that global warming is real
>>
>>14427921

So if I understand this correctly, they're actually deriving sufficient power from the exhaust stroke of a single cylinder to power the downstroke of ANOTHER cylinder? Or is the turbocharger aiding in the intake of those exhaust gases?
>>
https://youtu.be/u0uPmrSRM7w
>3cyl
>700cc
>130hp
>185bhp/l

imagine a v6 version of this making 260hp @1.4 liters
>>
File: typical_australian.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
typical_australian.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
>>14427945

>226 grams per kilowatt hour
>>
>>14427966
>>14427928
go be an inbred retard some place else
>>
>>14427978

spotted the Sandman

good goy, maybe Bernie will give everyone free 3 cylinder 5 stroke shitboxes when he nationalizes GM and Ford
>>
>>14427978

How the fuck does this >>14427966
make me an inbred retard?

Who the fuck uses this as a measurement of fuel consumption? Limey trash, that's who.

Horsepower and MPG are literally the only acceptable ratings, even litres/100km is fucking asinine.
>>
>>14427928
Yer a cheeky cunt, but that's some top tier bants.
>>
226g/kwh in MPG ?
>>
>>14427945

What's with all these old as fuck efficient engine theories being built recently?
Prius uses the Atkinson
Mazda had the Miller and Wankel

Then there's this one, that I read a while back. That had two firing pistons feeding a larger dead piston. But after seeing this video, I can't find it.
>>
>>14428012
100hp in ounces?
>>
>>14428012

She gets 30 hectares to a single tank of kerosene. Not bad 2bh.
>>
Its probably a pain in the ass to build for companies that have been making four strokes forever.
>>
>>14428001
but the engine cant get any mpg because it is not in a car
>>
>>14428018

because for decades fuel was plentiful and relatively cheap, so automakers needed consumers to use a LOT of it to turn a profit

in the next decade gasoline prices will go way up as a result of war and instability all over the oil producing regions, and we'll be forced to use small engines

we'll consume less fuel overall, but it will cost more per liter/gallon
>>
>>14428001
>Who the fuck uses this as a measurement of fuel consumption?
engineers everywhere. fuck, it's on my gas and electric bill.
is a kWh a new thing to you?
>>
>>14427828
>What are the drawbacks that keep it from being more than a working concept and not in lots of production cars
Increased complexity, doesn't offer much of an increase in efficiency over a decent 4-stroke. Needs a LOT more room for a much heavyer and weaker engine. The gain in efficeny is pretty small once the additional friction is taken into consideration.
It'd be cheaper to put in a variable valve train and use that to simulate an atkinson cycle (like the Prius does).
With a big turbo you could even use the remaining energy in the exhaus gas to produce power in intake stroke. (Works better with diesel engines because they don't mind high pressure as much)
>>
>>14428032

I'm on geothermal and solar, sorry you're a slave to the utility jews.

Hahahaha.
>>
>>14428032

Yeah, a kWh is like nothing new. It's how an ADULT'S electrical usage are decided.
This anon obviously isn't one, so he wouldn't know.
For example it's $0.05 a kilowatt hour where I live.
>>
>>14428027
no. when we eventually move away from oil we will leave billions of barrels in the ground.
it won't be for a lack of oil.
>>
How does that turbo even work if most of the exhaust gas energy goes into cycling the center piston?
>>
File: 1443302677618.jpg (16 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1443302677618.jpg
16 KB, 292x257
>>14428020
>>
>>14428044

yes, but those billions of barrels are not easily accessible/refined crude, they're nasty shit mixed with sand and sediment

oil sands in Alberta are exploding with dead dinosaurs, but it's expensive to get it out and the market won't generally support prices resulting from purely oilsand extractions

trust me, my neighbour celebrates hannukah so I know how these schemes work
>>
>>14428049
quite easily
>>
>>14428049
There still has to be enough energy left to get the exhaust gas to exit the cylinder again. In reality, this happens mosty by the remaining pressure rather than the piston moving up. That energy can be used in the turbo, to a degree.
>>
>>14428049

If you watch the whole video it says there's an option to use the turbo on the exhaust cycle, so I'm assuming it's some sort of meta-forced-induction that routes the ACTUAL exhaust gases (ones that are due to LEAVE the car) through a turbo, which then powers higher compression in the 2 high-pressure cylinders

this would then create higher pressure in the third, semi-retarded cylinder

2bh i think a big bomb just needs to drop and we should all go back to riding around on horses and goats
>>
>>14428061
even the arabs whos oil costs $6/bbl to extract agree when we will move away from oil for power it will be with lots of their oil in the ground.
>>
>>14427886
So many idiots sucking the Trump dick.

Inb4 go away libtard
>>
>>14428083

that oil will still be used to make (literally every single thing we use in our daily lives)

so no worries m8, your plastic world will continue to exist

>my laptop is technically made of dead dinosaurs
>>
Seems like it'd lose torque forcing the exhaust into the middle cylinder. Until the valve closed it'd be pushing up with the same force that the other cylinder is getting pushed down with. The power gained from the extra expansion must offset this, but it seems like there should be a better way. Unless my logic is flawed.
>>
File: duke engine.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
duke engine.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
Idk about you guys but I want one of these Duke Engines, shit looks TIGHT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU
>>
>>14428128
A lot of hydraulic motors are built like that.
>>
>>14428128
>conventional engines add more cylinders, increasing weight and complexity
>increasing complexity
>so here's our frankenstein monster of an engine thats equal parts piston engine, dorito and WW1 radial engine
>>
>>14428153

AT LEAST THEY'RE TRYING

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE LATELY
>>
>>14428162
Effort != value
>>
File: weed2.jpg (40 KB, 600x566) Image search: [Google]
weed2.jpg
40 KB, 600x566
>>14428167

I wish someone would tell that to Bernie Sanders
>>
>>14428167
nice excuses you lazy sack of shit
>>
How is this better than a Prius engine, other than power density? It seems more complicated than simply delaying the closure of the inlet valve and upping the compression
>>
>>14427936
its just like the 2nd turbine in pretty much all power plants. probably only scavenges like 10% more energy.
>>
>>14427936
>>14430327
ha just watched the video. funny that i pulled that 10% figure out of my ass. makes sense i guess when you consider power plant turbines recover about 20% out of the low pressure turbine and piston engines are about half the efficiency.
>>
>>14427886
1.5/10
>>
>>14428178

I wish someone had told your mom that.
>>
>>14428018
> wankel
> efficient
> recently
>>
>>14428153
it's not really any more complicated, it's just not what you're familiar with.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.