[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /o/ ready to buy their time machine http://www.maxim.com
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 630x317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 630x317
Is /o/ ready to buy their time machine

http://www.maxim.com/rides/brand-new-2017-delorean-2016-1

This is the best news ever
>>
>>14333718
You honestly think this is that kind of board?
The only thing I'm looking forward to is to someday buy a delorean and fuck it up to piss people off
body kits, lambo doors, FF conversion, make it a ute, convertible
>>
Do you think DMC will ever make a modern delorean?
>>
>>14333730
>lambo doors
But it already has gullwing doors which are even better. That's just silly.
>>
>>14333744
kill yourself
>>
>>14333730
What kind of board?
>>
Considering the last one had a V6 i wonder what new V6 are they going to put in it since i doubt anyone would want the original Renault engine.
>>
>>14333848
Well it says in the link
>The 2017 DMC-12s will feature a new V6 engine that makes between 350 and 370 horsepower. The original Peugeot-Renault-Volvo-sourced V6 produced a paltry 130 horsepower, by comparison.
>>
$100K car from the eighties that had tons of design issues beyond the engine and is also not particularly well handling/fun to drive on top of that
This is a toy for the rich to show how they have muh time machine car.
>>
>>14333889
But they are fixing the flaws
Only the exterior will remain unchanged
Its not gonna be the same as the old one
>>
I'm not really concerned about Deloreans. But this makes me interested because there are now lots of car bodies that can be built in limited numbers as kits, and have rebuilt engines dropped in them.
Could you imagine getting a brand new '79 RX7 GSL and dropping a newly rebuilt 12A or 13B with improved seals from the latest of rotary tech?
Nice.
Or old Datsuns, or old Fiats, or many other cars that can now just be built by a boutique shop.
That's what interests me.
>>
>>14333870

So it could be a GM LGX or a Ford Ecoboost V6 (too most likely candidates it seems) or they might bring something back something from Europe.
>>
>>14333718
So they're dropping making cars from spare parts to now making them from scratch? Heh
>>
>>14333718
The fuck happened to them going all electric?
>>
>Delorean Motor Company is still alive
How
>>
>>14333718
I'm not paying $100000 for a delorean replica.
>>
>>14333999
are they really replicas?
i dont think so
>>
>>14333979
you can order them however you like

>>14333987
DMC was bought by a texas company and has been selling "new" DMC-12's for years
they would rebuild chassis with new parts with whatever you wanted to pay for
engine upgrades were common

apparently you can now manufacture 325(per year) replica according to a law recently passed
>companies can sell up to 325 reproductions with a full powertrain annually of a model that's at least 25 years old

>>14334012
in this case a replica is simply any model car that was built at least 25 years ago being rebuilt with minimal changes

basically this is a pass to low volume car manufacturers to make shit without having to crash test it
>>
>>14333987
They took over DMC's old warehouse which is full of parts to make complete cars. They jacked up the price of OEM parts to be profitable.
>>
>>14333791
the kind of board that sincerely enjoys things or giving a shit about anything other than being a bitter asshole
>>
>>14333924
There is a guy in Japan that doez this stuff to old z's
>>
>>14333921
Oh boy. That car is just too uninteresting for what it is. It turns too many heads and there is no personality about since nobody does shit to them except put all those time machine fake parts.
>>
>>14334177
Good
Keep the ricer shitters out
>>
>>14333730
For that sort of cash I'd just buy a Maloo and put a Chevy badge on. You'd piss more people off with less effort.
>>
I hope deloreans appear in more games now
I pretty much only used the Delorean in forza 4
>>
>>14336440
Try a different car and you'll complete the game faster.
>>
>>14334177
>too uninteresting
>looks like a fucking retro spaceship
>>
>>14333718
>implying you'll ever get out of your car at a parking spot with those doors

this will be a hipster scene car.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 720x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 720x449
>>14336513
Do you not know how gull wing doors work
It probably would give you MORE space to open the door and easier to get out
>>
>>14336513
Teslas new soccer mom suv is going to have those doors.
>>
>>14336449
Why would I want to complete it when I already have my favorite car in it
69 charger included
Just enjoy things anon
>>
>>14333740
Eh, maybe a limited production low volume run, but I doubt it, not worth compared to how much they would make just dusting off the old molds and dyes.
>>
>>14333924
yeah in general, this is great news, not just for Delorean, which has been trying to make "new" deloreans for a while, but in general. Auto companies could start bringing back popular old models for limited runs.

>GM starts bringing back old Pontiac models without needing to bring back the Pontiac line itself
>eventually gauge interest and revive pontiac a decade or two down the line

a guy can dream
>>
>>14334177
nowadays, half the appeal is just the story of the car itself. there will always be time machine people, but seems like these days people are starting to appreciate the base car itself, since it IS pretty.
>>
>>14333718
Imagine Toyota making brand new AE86s and bursting the tofu tax bubble.
>>
>>14334028
But it's replicas that the company decides to rebuild? or can i be like hey i want you to rebuild this old shitbox so here's my money.
>>
>>14334028
>apparently you can now manufacture 325(per year) replica according to a law recently passed
>>companies can sell up to 325 reproductions with a full powertrain annually of a model that's at least 25 years old

So I'll be able to buy a brand new 80s nipmobile with pop-ups if jap manufacturers decide to jump on the bandwagon?
>>
>>14333718
$100,000
Even with the new engine, I can't see why it's that much
>>
>>14337944
Back to the future tax
>>
>>14337944
How much were did they cost back in the 80s new, adjusted for inflation?
>>
>>14337944
>>14337951
i wonder just how many stock parts they actually have left too. because once those are gone, price for newly manufactured parts will skyrocket
>>
>>14337954
>MSRP sticker price of $25,000 ($68,000 in 2015 dollars)

Wasn't that same company selling new Deloreans from left over parts for like $50k?
>>
>>14337965
they were. they also do preowned Deloreans.

they stopped doing the new-build program like a year or two ago, possibly longer, and when they redid their website that part was 'coming soon".

they also had trouble from Delorean's Ex Wife i think, who sued them because he's a bitter bitch. i think it was over the electric Delorean.

theres also the matter of how many stock parts they have left. aside from new builds, they also use those as spares for people's cars. and when they no longer have a part, they have to manufacture it, (since they have the blueprints) but that part then becomes more expensive.

so it is weird that the price is so high all of a sudden, but I dont know. might be reasons for it.

is it coming with the upgraded engine by default? because that 3 stage program added a bit to the cost if you chose it.
>>
>>14338043
The article says it's going to have a 350 horsepower V6 and stuff like modern brakes.
>>
>>14338092
well thats probably where part of the new cost comes from then. only the body is basically stock, the innards are new stuff.
>>
File: _5818768_orig.jpg (185 KB, 1100x731) Image search: [Google]
_5818768_orig.jpg
185 KB, 1100x731
>>14338113
It's still cool as fuck that they're allowing something like this to happen.
I know it's only 325 cars a year, but that could increase in the future and other manufacturers could launch similar programs.
IMAGINE buying a brand new Silvia, any RX7, old Toyotas etc.
>>
>>14338121
yeah this is a pretty big deal with massive potential for auto manufacturers.

i wonder. if Ford say, started making 300 first gen mustangs a year... wouldnt that totally ruin the boomer price gauging market? their cars would no longer be rare when you can buy a brand new 60's mustang
>>
>>14338206
>i wonder. if Ford say, started making 300 first gen mustangs a year... wouldnt that totally ruin the boomer price gauging market? their cars would no longer be rare when you can buy a brand new 60's mustang

I would absolutely love for this to become widespread.
Boomer tax gone.
Tofu tax gone.
Drift tax gone.
>>
How the fuck did DeLorean manage to fuck up his own car this badly after making such an impactful, well thought out difference during his time at Pontiac?
>>
>The new DeLoreans will be updated with larger wheels and tires, modern brakes, and amenities like heated seats, GPS navigation and bluetooth phone connectivity. "But the exterior shape will remain virtually unchanged," Espey promised.

well theres why it costs so much.

honestly who cares about that shit. just update the engine and maybe the brakes and im fine with the rest. i dont need fucking bluetooth in a delorean
>>
>>14338220
regulations, and probably some manner of terrible deal. he wanted better, but it just didnt work out and he ended up with a shitty engine, and he never hat the chance to fix the mistake, because then there was the drug thing, and then he died before he could start DMC up again.
>>
>>14337951
More like Inflation to the future
>>
File: rdlfv1uv8ozzf0hcerih.jpg (917 KB, 4385x1678) Image search: [Google]
rdlfv1uv8ozzf0hcerih.jpg
917 KB, 4385x1678
Heeeey i just realized... you know what other troubled company with broken dreams would benefit from this?

pic related.
>>
>>14338287
honestly the potential for this law is fucking massive.

shame it only covers replicas, and not just "low volume" in general. but replica alone is great
>>
>>14338227
Enjoy going to the future with no BLUETOOTH
what are ya
[spoiler]chicken?
>>
Never gonna happen.

They've been talking about making new deloreans for YEARS with no major progress.

http://gizmodo.com/291801/delorean-confirms-new-cars-to-roll-out-in-08

http://www.torquenews.com/106/new-electric-delorean-dmc-12-coming-2013

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/08/21/texas-entrepreneur-set-to-start-building-delorean-cars.html

They've been talking about this for almost 10 years. The new NSX was put on the drawing board and is closer to to showroom floors in the time Delorean has been spouting this bullshit.

Enjoy your dream car never coming true.
>>
>>14338789

Also gotta love money grubbing delorean, back round 07 when they started this "project" it was supposed to be starting at under 50K a car. Now they want to sell for "around 100K"...pssh enjoy watching this bullshit fail.
>>
>>14338789
now they have laws in place that say they absolutely can do it, without any legal grey areas involving safety standards or lawsuits from ex wives
>>
>>14338121
>IMAGINE buying a brand new Silvia, any RX7, old Toyotas etc.
Except it doesn't work like that because the vehicles still have to comply with federal emissions forcing them to have at the very least a modern drivetrain.
>>
>>14339702
Who gives a fuck, buy it an drop another engine in if you want to.
>>
>>14337894
>Buy an oldnew 82 trans am
>kitt is now siri
I AM CONFLICTED
>>
>>14338206
>>14338213

300 First gen mustangs with 6 speed manuals, IRS, ecoboost, ABS, TCS

that would be fantastic
>>
>>14336529
They actually open wider than a comparably sized car from the era on normal opening. Normal opening not being how amerifats get out of cars because of size.
>>
>>14339702
Nissan would throw a VQ in everything and mazda their 2.5L 4 banger.

I don't even know what go to engine toyota uses anymore. Fuck them.
>>
>>14333718

No, I already own one.
>>
>>14333924
>12A or 13B

But rotary engines are fucking shit, why would you want one? They're inferior to a piston engine in every way that matters.
>>
Actually saw a Delorean the other day parked outside a Brake Masters that looked pretty unmolested.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.