[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nobody, and I mean nobody....Is asking for autonomous s cars...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: nobody.jpg (71 KB, 770x513) Image search: [Google]
nobody.jpg
71 KB, 770x513
Nobody, and I mean nobody....Is asking for autonomous s cars...
>>
>>14304823
LOL what? I am. Once you have a real job and sit in traffic for 4 hours a day because faggots can't into driving you will pray for sweet relief.
I'm happy to have the god damn government step in and make driving the most efficient it can be. I'll take my toys to the track, and sit on my ass reading during the auto commute to work.
>>
>>14304823
Most normies are. They don't want to drive. They want to text, put on makeup, use their laptop, and after 30 minutes just "show up" at work.

I, for one, am excited for the autonomous cars. Less retards driving. Let them text, I'll enjoy my driving with less fear of a dumb texting bitch sideswiping me when she changes lanes without shoulder checking.
>>
I'm afraid that it's going to change from "let's see if we can actually do this" to "the results are so good let's make it illegal to do anything else".
>>
>>14304837
i guess thats all cars are to you huh?
toys?
>>
>>14304823
It looks like the car is going off the road in the pic.
>>
>>14304843
lol wow are you sad. They are toys and tools.
>>
>>14304823
I am. It'd mean a lot less bother of driving when I don't want to, or can't otherwise.

And I trust computer guidance more than normies.
>>
>>14304837
Car companies and the government are apparently only making cars and regulations for commiefornia, ny, and dc areas. My commute is 38 minutes and there's never any traffic. Fuck self-driving cars.
>>
>>14304866
>I am everyone
Okay.
>>
>>14304840
this
>>
File: 1239653917226.jpg (97 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1239653917226.jpg
97 KB, 800x600
How long until autonomous cars are completely replaced by ekrano planes?
>>
>>14304840
I've thought about this, and I seriously doubt it will happen for a couple decades, if it even happens in our lifetime, for two reasons:

1) The economics. A lot of people cannot afford to go out and just buy a brand new autonomous car. Even when there are plenty on the second hand market, there's still going to be people who won't be willing to spend $5k to pick up a cheap used Google Whatever. And for better or worse, there's no way the Republicans will let the the government subsidize buying an autonomous car for everyone.

2) Rural farmers and shit will make sure we always have some kind of caveat that allows for non-autonomous cars. Think about it, until we get a car that you can say "Yeah, just go left at the big rock over yonder" you won't have trucks and shit that can navigate the farms and oil fields. And I doubt those same farmers and oil workers would be willing to have an "offroad only" car just for work that they can't take on public roads.

So I wouldn't worry too much, our hobbies are safe for a little while at least.
>>
>>14304839
>>14304839
Speaking as a person who has probably driven 10x the miles you've driven, you're dumb. There's every reason to want autonomous cars. I enjoy driving, I enjoy off roading, and I don't mind commuting, but I would rather my commute and my trips to bars and parties be in an autonomous car. I already get the latter from cabs/uber, but they're not as convenient as owning the machine would be.
>>
I'd love it as an optional feature. I could drive when I feel like it, and turn on autopilot when I don't.
>>
>>14304840
I don't think that would be easy to legislate. Sure certain subsets of liberals would love it, but there are a lot of groups, many of them quite significant democratically, who'd be absolutely up in arms.
>>
>>14304840
>>14304880
They should. Manually operated cars should be for those who are capable. It should be left at the track. There is no reason to allow boy racers on the street. And I say that as someone who blasts up and down the street on occasion. We all know it should be done on the track. Once they make it mandatory that will be a glorious day. Only those that can afford quality cars, and have the skill will be allowed to pit it out in the battlegrounds of the track.
>>
>>14304890
I guess I'm being a little romantic/melodramatic about it, but to me this feels like the beginning of the end of true driving.
>>
>>14304870
Maybe those other people should find new jobs or move closer to their work.
>>
>>14304890
Never thought about #2, but you are 100% correct. It's the same reason you can drive a farm truck at like 8 years old. But for there every day driver I think they should make it mandatory. Shit drivers everywhere. I would say 90% of the population is shit at driving. Those that can't afford it will be offered free bus passes on automated buses.
>>
>>14304823
Practically everyone who isn't extremely passionate about driving wants them. If they're good, I say bring them. Grandfathering will keep our cars road legal, normies who would text and drive, etc won't do that.
>>
>>14304890
I have a pro-tip for you. Car ownership is going to become a thing of the past. They'll be controlled by the government, not personally owned. It'll be like minority report. You summon a car and it whisks you away to your destination
>>
except me and a lot of other people

driving is just a boring chore 99% of the time and I hate doing it

>>14304840
I hope
>>
tell any normie
>hey, what if you had a chauffeur in your car 24/7 that drives you anywhere and drives your car anywhere when you're not in it

they'd clamor for it....if it was proven safe
>>
>>14304918
once rents in metropolitan areas aren't sky high and artificially inflated maybe
>>
>>14304959
>if it was proven safe

The moment there's even a single fault that causes someone to die, people will call for the death of the autonomous car. People are stupid like that.
>>
>>14304887

>people can barely fucking drive a car with +100 driver aids
>giving them the ability to FLY

SO many deaths in the first 5 minutes.
>>
File: 1374979389158.jpg (13 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1374979389158.jpg
13 KB, 251x242
>>14304823
>buy new 2025 google autonomous car
>hefty pricetag but worth it for progress
>come into money troubles
>miss car payment
>Google(TM) AutoDrive(TM) activates and my car drives back to the dealership on its own >cannot be operated until my account is balanced
>tfw just wanted to be part of the future
>>
>>14304942
Yeah right. If there's one thing the whole Communist experiment should have taught us, it's that people like owning shit.
>>
File: tumblr_nri1wkuyge1rey868o1_500.gif (494 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nri1wkuyge1rey868o1_500.gif
494 KB, 500x380
>>14304983
>having money troubles in the year 2025
>still paying prostitutes for real sex in the future
>>
>>14304942
There are people who actually believe this. They also believe in chemtrails and are trump voters.
>>
>>14304843
that's what they are though. If you are a normie that doesn't have fun with their car then just buy a corolla.
>>
>>14304983
You do realize that they put remote ignition cuts on cars today.
>>
>>14304983
>set car to drive to keynesian benefit office
>accentually drive past secret we are the 0.1% rally
>thought crime detected
>car delvers me to fema camp
>>
>>14305007
How is it any different than public transportation? People don't own shit anymore.

>eula to use a TV
>licensing a video game, never owning a physical disk
>renting smartphone for 2 years
>financing a car for 72+ months
>rental housing

If it's convenient, people don't give a shit.
>>
>>14305026
>>14305007
Oh and GM bought sidecar and put 500 million into Lyft. Ford is starting it's own ridesharing thing like zipcar and uber and has multi-person financing now. The writing is on the wall.
>>
I want a regular car with a manual and a shitload of power for most of my driving. I also want a self-driving room for when I have a stupid long drive to make, when I wake up hungover, when I wake up still drunk, when I need to get somewhere but also need to pound back a few glasses of whiskey, and a few other situations.
>>
>>14305076
Dont be silly, that will just kill off conventional taxis. The only people who use things like that are a) drunk or b) live in the middle of a huge city and dont need a car anyway.
>>
File: 1412431633208.jpg (282 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
1412431633208.jpg
282 KB, 531x471
>>14304823
He looks like he's praying to every god he knows not to crash
>>
>>14305123
I doubt it will ever be legal for you to be behind the wheel drunk even if it was autonomous
>>
>>14305076
Just because some people want a thing does not mean all people want it.
>>
File: denton_laughing.jpg (119 KB, 524x519) Image search: [Google]
denton_laughing.jpg
119 KB, 524x519
>>14305051
>>
>>14304837
>being a traffic monkey
>not living close to work
>slowly driving yourself crazy over the course of years

haah waaw
>>
>>14305058
OK, I should have put "own" in inverted commas.

It's the difference between renting a house and living in a hostel; between leasing a smartphone and using a payphone. In the former cases there is still a thing that only you use; it's yours in everything but ownership, so to speak. You can still get exactly the things you want for the sake of the whole "self expression through consumption" the marketers know we're so fond of.

Cars are a huge part of that; there's so much we try to communicate about ourselves with our cars. Just renting a self-driving taxi won't let us do that so many, if not most, people won't want to.
>>
>>14305033
Do they? Which ones?
>>
>>14305337
any car with something similar to onstar.
>>
>>14304823
I'd rather have a car that repairs itself instead of driving itself
>>
>>14305337
I worked with a dude at a pizza place that bought a shitty mercury sable or something. He would miss one or two days of work every month when his car payment came up and he didn't have the cash to pay it because the terms of his loan allowed them to remotely immobilize the car if he was late on his payments.

Honestly, though, I don't know how someone could be so stupid as to accept those terms instead of just getting a cheaper car.
>>
I don't think legislation will need to force people to choose manually operating a vehicle or letting it go autonomous. By the time cars can be fully autonomous most people will just use them that way, except for a handful of situations where it would be impractical. From there if someone proves that they can't drive manually (like getting dui's) they will just have their license revoked, and forced to only use autonomous mode.
>>
>>14304890
Its much more likely that mist people wont own cars.
There'll be a network of auto cars. You just hit one up on your smart phone and it arrives on your doorstep and takes you where you want to go.
>>
>>14305468
this. RIP cabbies.
>>
>>14304823
the only people that aren't asking for autonomous cars are fucking casuals and tinfoilers
>>
>>14304823
Time to put that compression ignition mechanical fuel injection car into dry storage.
Fuckers run on vegetable oil too
>>
>>14304823
I am. Get shit eating texting women out from behind the wheel. Also no more drunk drivers. I'd own one if i knew the self driving was completely voluntary.
>>
>>14305404
Dude, a mercury sable is pretty down there in terms of shitty cars.
I can only think of a few lower vehicles, Echo/Tercel or a 90s sentra and all chevy cavilers.
>>
>>14304970
true, but over time there will be adopters that get one anyway, and they'll tell everyone about how easy and cool and useful it is, and people will start to disregard the risks because of its usefulness
>>
>>14305657
My point wasn't that autonomous cars are dangerous, in fact I think they're going to be far far safer than human drivers have ever been.

My point was that people are stupid, and regardless of the actual statistics people will freak out the first time a self driving car kills someone.

People are reactionary, and they want someone to blame when bad things happen. Drunk driver slams into a schoolbus and kills 10 kids? Easy, hate the drunk driver.

But a self driving car gets a sensor covered by a piece of trash, slams into a schoolbus and kills 10 children? You bet your ass there'll be self righteous small minded politicians calling for the end of these "death machines" that no oversight! Even if, by virtue of it's programming, that same self-driving car prevented 10 accidents previously.

People are dumb, and self driving cars are gonna be one of those weird things society adapts to slowly, with a lot of push back.
>>
>>14305797
actually, the preemptive paranoia might be a good thing, it'll keep a lot of (probably unnecessary) safety locks in place ready to hand over control to the driver at a moment's notice.

this has an upside, if the driver trusts the system too much or modifies it so the safety checks are removed, he'll be seen as an idiot without putting the technology under accusation.
>>
File: 0DYnS84.jpg (99 KB, 800x568) Image search: [Google]
0DYnS84.jpg
99 KB, 800x568
>>14304837
>being a wagecuck
>>
>>14305821
And that's exactly why I keep telling anyone who says "This is the death of driving as we know it!" that it really isn't.

It'll take fucking forever to get autonomous cars to be truly autonomous. Drivers will always have some kind of control.

The closest we might see in the very near future is fleets of taxi drivers replaced by autonomous vehicles in dense urban areas. They're typically lower speed and easier to map. I'm all for it, personally. I'd love to have an app like Uber where a car just pulls up, I get in, and it drops me off. And I never have to actually talk to someone because awkward beta-faggotry.
>>
>>14305161
Do you want airbags, rear view cameras, sat nav, wifi, etc?
>>
>>14304918
You are straight ignorant
>>
>>14305026
You aren't voting for the man that cannot be stumped?
>>
>>14304823

>implying normies won't love it
>>
>>14304823
Yes they are. My uncle has a Tesla P85 (got it before the D) and says he's going to upgrade once they release full autonomous driving. He's a car guy, but he realizes that commuting is boring and is a waste of his time. He'd rather have the car drive him to work, and he can actually enjoy driving the car spiritedly outside of rush hour.
>>
>>14306261
Your uncle doesn't have a D?
>>
>>14306261

Your uncle sounds like the kind of guy to watch other men fuck his wife. I think there's a name for it.
>>
>>14304837
>sit in traffic for 4 hours a day
sounds like you cant into a closer job
>>
>>14307370
>thinks distance stops rush hour
>live within 20 miles of work
>takes over an hour each down to get to the building downtown
>ever living downtown and paying cuck prices for shitty apartments and homeless niggers.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.