[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Auto-Manual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13
File: gear_shift.jpg (49 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
gear_shift.jpg
49 KB, 400x600
Hi /o/
I have never drive automatic.
What is it like? Is there any benefits over manual?
>>
Maybe less weight in between your legs? If someone finds that to be a benefit?
>>
>>14243094

Does tiptronic count?
>>
File: Citroen C6.jpg (159 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Citroen C6.jpg
159 KB, 1024x768
>>14243094
Comfort.
>>
>>14243111
>>14243116
I'm not trying to bully anyone. Just curios.
>>
You don't have to shift the gears yourself. Some people consider that a benefit
>>
>>14243094
You'll be bored tbqh, just having two pedals and the wheel
>>
>what is it like
Your engine is never really connected to your wheels so driving it definitely feels a lot more disconnected. If you're used to driving manual you're going to get annoyed at how it shifts because most of them are either a second late when you're driving for fuel economy or a second too early when you're trying to go fast.
Kickdown is also really slow, so if you're trying to overtake on the freeway you'll be accelerating at a snail's pace for a few seconds and then your car finally drop down a gear.
A lot of them will shake when idling at a stoplight.
>>
>>14243094
The driving is numb kind of annoying, but I gotta say its pretty convenient in stop and go traffic or just cruising.
>>
The assurance in knowing you won't misshift and fuck your drivetrain.

Seriously stick is really just for boy racers with inferiority complexes so they fall back on their ability to drive stick. If flappy pedals are good enough for formula 1 it's good enough for me.
>>
>>14243192
It's nice to actually be able to control your tires though. In a dca its not the same feels. It's like having sex vs masturbating. Both make you cum, but one feels alot nicer.
>>
>>14243094
Some problems with automatic...
- You can't hold a gear when descending down a hill.
- You can't pre-downshift in anticipation of passing.
- The power doesn't feel as instant because it downshifts after you press the accelerator.
- Have to be more conscious of maintaining your speed in school zones, etc, while in a manual you can just pop it into a lower gear and idle through.
The problem with tiptronic is you have to consciously listen and look to see which gear it's in, in order to decide how to shift relative to that, while a proper manual is more intuition. Most people end up driving a Tiptronic in fully automatic mode with a "stab this paddle a bunch of times when you want power".
>>
>>14243204
Also many modern autos like the 8 or 9 speeds and cvts have major reliability problems.
>>
>>14243204
>- You can't hold a gear when descending down a hill.

I can and do.

>- You can't pre-downshift in anticipation of passing.

Ditto.

>The problem with tiptronic is you have to consciously listen and look to see which gear it's in

There's a gigantic number saying which gear it's in on my dash.

What I hate about it is having to go sequentially, not like 4th to 2nd.
>>
>>14243201
Driving a manual is more like masturbating because you have full control over every nuance, while driving an automatic is like sex because she will sometimes not clue in when you want to change the pace.
>>
Its kinda cool I guess.
I rented a 2015 Toyota Corolla S & a 2016 Chevy Cruze that had this feature (Tiptronic), and although I have never successfully driven a manual car before, it does feel pretty sweet making the gear changes. Getting up to 3k RPM and then shifting at the very last second. Felt really good.

It's also nice because you don't have to downshift yourself if you don't want, as the car will do it automatically when you're slowing down. Driving this for a couple of days at least gave me AN IDEA of how driving a fully manual car would work out.

t b h though i'd never make it a feature to look for in a car. if it's there, cool, I'd use it once in a while whenever I feel like shifting myself
>>
>>14243227
Exactly, you have to consciously look at the number on the dash. You don't have to look or think about it in a manual. It's like walking - you don't have to look or think about which foot is in front, you just "know". Once you've been driving a manual for a while it because second-nature.
>>
File: vette_7speed.jpg (96 KB, 640x830) Image search: [Google]
vette_7speed.jpg
96 KB, 640x830
>>14243251
Well, you can learn to work with that without ever looking, but obviously it's not nearly as natural as manual.
>>
>>14243094

You have to understand there are many types of automatic. /o/ likes to pretend all autos are 70s 3 gear slushboxes.

You've got sport mode autos that shift like a mad cunt, tiptronics that are almost the same as manual (almost, not quite), economy autos that will put you to sleep in 10 minutes or less, god awful cvts, and some others i can't think of right now.

There are all sorts of autos. Some really aren't that bad.
>>
>>14243251

How is this any different than a tiptronic? I have the mental capacity to remember how many times I've shifted up/down and thus know which gear I'm in anyway.

You don't have to make shit up. You like driving manual and that's fine man. No one is giving you shit about it, no need to defend it.
>>
>>14243178
two pedals?
throttle, brake and clutch are essential for fucks sake!

>inb4; no brakes on auto train
>>
You don't have to be on the highway to jerk off while you drive
>>
>>14243266
autoshitfters are scared of all those numbers, but it is similar to jump on a bicycle and trying to start on 18th gear.

On older cars, you just listen to engine. It is easy and feelgood.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Like some other anons said, there are so many different auto-manuals out there, with such a wide variation of quality. Pic related has the best widely produced auto-manual trans in the world (PDK)
>>
>>14243312
DCT (PDK) is an automatic, not some middle ground. It's obvious only people who have never driven manual think otherwise
>>
>>14243094
Do you find driving a machine that is already doing your walking for you too much like hard work and too mentally stretching? Then buy an auto.
>>
>>14243316
>DCT (PDK) is an automatic,

No it really isn't it's closer to a manual.
>>
>>14243094
50% less foot per go
>>
>>14243178
>>14243182
>>14243189
>>14243204
Holy shit have you guys even driven an automatic or DCT newer than 10 years old?
>>
>>14243204
well, fuck this bitch shit!
imma stick with muh manual stick
>>
>>14243318
>walking for you
negro, i want to drive.
wheelchairs btfo
>>
>>14243388
>i want to drive.
Then You don't want an Auto
>>
>>14243340
My fathers 2012 avalanche. Its slow between gears and I always find myself playing with knobs and looking away from the road out of boredom. I dont know if smaller cars handle differently, but i doubt most cars are much different.
>>
>>14243340
I can shift even my 50 year old auto like that...
>>14243204
Take the bus like you always do you autist
>>
>>14243299

Even F1 drivers have gear indicators because while they too are capable of counting they too need to be reminded every now and then because who is going to be thinking "4th to 5th" when at the same time Kobayashi appears to be targeting you as his next kamikaze victim and you need to be evasive.

You need that number there on a sequential box as well. An H gate is much more natural to remember to the point where you literally don't need to think about it because it becomes instinct.
>>
>>14243210
Which ones?
>>
File: knoightroider.jpg (141 KB, 1677x713) Image search: [Google]
knoightroider.jpg
141 KB, 1677x713
>>14243178
>just having two pedals and the wheel
so what is left mate?
throttle and brakes? where is the foken clutch?
>>
>>14243094
A lot of automatics can vary, automatic Corollas can feel like sponges whereas automatic sports cars can be extremely fun. We're getting to a point where automatics or assisted-manuals are becoming faster than manuals.

That being said, maybe 1% of the people on here have owned or even driven a high-end sports car, so all they're exposed to is god awful shitboxes with CVTs and bad autos.

For shitboxes, manual wins, for sports cars it really depends on the car. The Snek wouldn't be the Snek without the manual.

Personally I'm used to driving manual, so driving automatic feels wierd. I can appreciate it on the track though.
>>
>>14243182
>Kickdown is also really slow, so if you're trying to overtake on the freeway you'll be accelerating at a snail's pace for a few seconds and then your car finally drop down a gear.
i hate this so much but i have no idea how to drive a manual
>>
>>14243919
If I wanted purely numbers from a track car I'd take a good DCT, if I wanted to have fun I'd take a manual.
>>
>>14243584
>2012 avalanche
>Its slow between gears
Yeah that's because it's a shit car. Drive something with a good transmission. The new Charger SRT/Hellcat and IS350 have really, really good torque converter automatics.
>>
Everyone says it's less work than manual, but your right foot is either going to be on the accelerator or brake. There's no such thing as coming to a stop, putting it in neutral and pulling the handbrake up so you can rest for a minute before the lights turn.
>>
File: 1452826583286.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1452826583286.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>14243192
>>
@14243192
Sorry I'm out of (You)s, come back tomorrow.
>>
>>14244455
>@14243192
Lurk moar faggot
>>
@14244472
I'm not giving you a (You) either, stop being greedy.
>>
>>14244480
>O noes, he just @ me!
>>
>>14243321

>automatically shifts and is designed with D being a primary function

It is an automatic.
>>
>>14244402
You can do all that in an automatic
>>
>>14244402
How big of a pussy are you if you can't handle resting your foot on the goddamn brake pedal?
>>
>>14244287
A new hellcat is going to cost upward of $60000
A high end sports /muscle car is obviously going to have a good transmission, but average cars are slower in comparison to shifting manually.
>>
>Not putting a manual valvebody in and making it manualized automatic
Breh do u even?
>>
>>14243299
desu on my motorcycle with 6 gears I'm often not exactly sure which one I'm currently in
>>
>>14243321
>no user operated clutch
>computer shifts for you (you're telling a computer to shift)
No its an automatic
>>
>>14243192
My grandma drives stick. As do most grandmas. Then again, she's not an Amerifat.
>>
>>14244780
Congrats
>>
>>14243094
Manual cars are way more fun to drive than automatics. I picked up my first manual a year and a half ago and don't plan on going back. I like being able to control power delivery and the tactile sensation of shifting gears is very satisfying.

I'm glad most people don't know how to drive stick because that means nobody will ask to borrow my car and it's way less likely to get stolen. It also means that car enthusiasts will have a much easier time getting a hold of older manual cars because most people can't drive them. So that benefits us if most people hate manual cars.
>>
>>14243192
I have that assurance anyway and I drive manual.
>>
>>14243321
It's an automatic based on manual gearbox architecture. Instead of clutch plates and a torque converter it uses the gear system of a manual with a computer controlled dual clutch system, one clutch for odd gears and the other for even. Here's more info:
http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/gearbox/tech_gear_manual.htm#Twin-clutch
>>
>>14243182
>Your engine is never really connected to your wheels so driving it definitely feels a lot more disconnected

incorrect. do you even know what a torque converter is

>Kickdown is also really slow,

depends on the trans
>>
>>14243178
what if i like being bored and physically relaxed?
>>
File: TAShifterBootMod003_edited.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
TAShifterBootMod003_edited.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>14243204
>You can't hold a gear when descending down a hill.
>- The power doesn't feel as instant because it downshifts after you press the accelerator.
>- Have to be more conscious of maintaining your speed in school zones,

your entire post is invalid because you can select any gear on a proper auto trans

1-2-3-D straight on the floor

i always hold 1st gear to roll into the throttle on launches because WOT will light the tires

i don't have to "look" at anything, i just rip it down into gear

>tfw pull from bottom of 2nd to top of 3rd

oh lawd
>>
>>14243094
It's fucking shit.

>come to roundabout
wow I have to do fucking nothing but steer
>come to hairpin bend
>come to park

I hope I never have to own a fucking autotragic.
>>
Even my slow-as-fuck cheap-as-fuck Veloster has a DCT.

Bitches don't know bout my downshift paddle.
>>
>>14247775
>>come to roundabout

>hit the gas, throw the ass out and drive around it sideways

driving a 400hp auto RWD car and a 70bhp fwd auto car is not the same experience
>>
>>14243903
thats a HQ Monaro m8
>>
>>14247760
If your post isn't satirical then have fun replacing your transmission after a good 30k miles of doing that.
>>
File: clip+(2015-09-27+at+11.50.56).jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2015-09-27+at+11.50.56).jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>paddle shifter CVT transmission
I have seen hell.
>>
>>14247793
Still boring, you didn't actually do anything to get the speed.

With a manuel you'd have to select the right gear for the speed you want, revmatch it, and then floor it. In the auto you just press your foot to the floor. Gay as fuck to be honest family.
>>
>>14247811
I bet you also buy all your furniture from Ikea.
>>
>>14247802
it doesn't harm it at all. at low speed i'm already in 1st gear. by selecting 1st on the column I'm just locking it out of shifting to 2nd

in 1st it will hit the rev limiter unless i select 2nd; but the cool thing about an auto car, i can select 2nd gear when i'm still pulling in 1st- and it will shift at redline at WOT every single time
>>
>>14247811
>In the auto you just press your foot to the floor.

if you just "pressed your foot to the floor" my car would throw your ass off the road
>>
>>14247870
>>14247891
Boring.
>>
File: this faggot.gif (566 KB, 320x277) Image search: [Google]
this faggot.gif
566 KB, 320x277
>>14243204
>- Have to be more conscious of maintaining your speed in school zones, etc, while in a manual you can just pop it into a lower gear and idle through.

Out of all the excuses to hate on a automatic, this probably the worst one I've ever heard.
>>
>>14243094
LIKE SHIT, BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DOES IT THAT WAY. I HAVE TO BE DIFFERENT, I'M A MILLENNIAL
>>
>>14247809
Does that even exist?
>>
>>14247896
so would you prefer

>911 turbo with an automatic trans

>tuk tuk with a 550cc 3 cylinder manual
>>
>>14247951
>implying I wouldn't enjoy driving either of those.
>>
>>14247882
The clutches inside your auto tend to disagree. The friction discs still slam into each gear at full speed when redlining, they still slip and burn up a little bit of material in the process, it's just like flooring a normal automatic everywhere and having the gears kickdown and destroying a little bit of life-span day by day.

Syncrows in manuals will also do this if you race all the time, but who's stupid enough to race their DD...daily.
>>
>>14247951
I literally would prefer a 200hp shitbox to a 500hp supercar. With the auto you're just along for the ride, with the manuel you're part of the action.
>>
>>14248026
>but who's stupid enough to race their DD...daily.

my car isn't a daily driver. and i don't even race it that much when i do drive it

i won't argue that redline causes more wear - but if you think that selecting a gear harms a transmission your a moron

if i don't select the gear i can either

>full throttle in D, spin my tires and bounce the limiter into 2nd gear
>feather the gas while spinning into 2nd

either one is slower than taking off in 1st manually

>>14248036
things a retard would say
>>
File: 1442721838262.gif (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1442721838262.gif
13 KB, 200x200
>all this butthurt itt
Autos are fine. I prefer them in appliance cars. Shifting for labor sucks when a machine could do it for you. That said people who actually spend money on sports cars with automatics disgust me.

Fucking casuals.
>>
>>14247934
Yup, Nissan and Audi have done this. It selects predetermined ratios. It's retarded.
>>
>>14247929
Some people just prefer the simpler operation of an automatic transmission - they're not choosing them to stand out.
>>
>>14248222

Why the fuck do CVT's have predetermined ratios anyways? Isn't the whole point of a CVT is to simply keep the engine at a specific RPM without using traditional gears?
>>
>>14248257
Yup. But most manufacturers do this in "sport mode" to make it feel like a traditional transmission. I really don't understand it because there's no upside: there's worse fuel economy because CVT power loss, there's still rubber band effect, and you're not at optimal RPM anymore.
>>
File: 1275186975838.png (8 KB, 344x341) Image search: [Google]
1275186975838.png
8 KB, 344x341
>>14243241

>up to 3k
>3k
>only 3k

This is what autofags find exhilarating
>>
>>14247929
Honestly I prefer manual and have a little more respect for people who daily a manual and I feel like if I had grown up somewhere where everyone drives a manual or in a generation where manual was really common I would feel entirely different about it.
>>
>>14248094
This
If I'm not driving a car to enjoy it an auto is great. I tend to drive cars to enjoy them most of the time, but there's some cars where it would probably be too much and I would prefer an auto. If I'm trying to help someone decide on a car to buy, I'll usually ask them if they enjoy the act of driving or if they just enjoy the convenience of it but see driving as a chore. If they enjoy driving, I'll recommend they get something manual. If they see driving as a chore, I'll recommend they get an automatic.
>>
>>14243094
People know you have an average seized benis and you're not compensating for anything.
>>
>>14243094
2 benefits

>it shifts for you so you dont have to use clutch if youre a pussy

>you can literally drive with one leg and one hand in full-on relax mode
>>
>>14248257
Some dumb reason like people want their car to feel like a normal car or something. I think the idea of putting shift points in a CVT is one of the dumbest ideas car manufacturers have had in a long time. If it's a CVT use it for the advantages that a CVT has, if you're gonna put shift points in why not just put a traditional automatic in because you're kinda killing the advantage that a CVT has
>>
>>14248665
post yfw normies think revving up to 3k is 'bad for the car'

they all shift at 2k
>>
It's also an economical decision. An automatic car will be slower (acceleration and top speed), so you have to get a bigger engine to compensate for that. And after that you're losing money on every mile due to the worse fuel economy. Money you could have spent on your car.
>>
My auto car drives very comfortably. Its not a racer car, its not meant to be. But the power speed balance is pretty good.
>>
File: 1452220124072.jpg (58 KB, 1348x760) Image search: [Google]
1452220124072.jpg
58 KB, 1348x760
You won't have to hold a (penis looking) stick the entire time you drive. You also won't feel special because apparently only people on /o/ drive manual. Not millions of people.
>>
>>14248665
I'm an autofag and shift at redline when I'm using my paddle shifters
>>
>>14247724
That's exactly what he's saying. A torque converter never truly connects the engine to the transmission. On a manual, RPM's of the engine is directly tied to how fats the wheels are spinning. In an automatic, you can rev the engine higher or lower than the wheel's speed.

You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>14250485
>what is a torque converter lockup clutch
>>
>>14243094
>Is there any benefits over manual

Not having to fiddle with the fucking thing every 15 seconds is a huge fucking plus.
>>
>>14249530
Why are autofaggots always thinking about touching dicks
>>
>>14243204
>- You can't hold a gear when descending down a hill.
>- The power doesn't feel as instant because it downshifts after you press the accelerator.
>- Have to be more conscious of maintaining your speed in school zones, etc, while in a manual you can just pop it into a lower gear and idle through.

My 20 year old Toyota automatic can do all that, though.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.