[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I thought I fixed this problem two months ago. For some reason
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 315x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 315x480
I thought I fixed this problem two months ago.

For some reason my car is losing power. The battery warning light lights up and all of the lights on the car begin to dim.

I thought I fixed the problem by replacing the alternator back in November, which everything went back to normal when I did.

So what the fuck could be the fucking problem? The battery is three years old, but it's been tested as holding a charge.
>>
What car what year?

Anything aftermarket on it?
>>
>>14230082
1990 Honda Accord

It's all stock.
>>
3 year old battery I would go ahead an replace it. They dont last worth a fuck in the desert. Other then that I cant really help, electrical is my final frontier. thats where I would start though.
>>
>>14230093
How are your ground cables? They're the only other main thing I can think of
>>
>>14230075
Buy a polimeter if you dont have one and check if any of the fuses have any consumption , if they dont, replace the battery
>>
>>14230075
Is your alternator belt at the correct tension?
>>
>>14230561
Oh shit, you said while driving, then check if the ground cables or the cables that go to the alternator have any resistance or are in bad shape
>>
>>14230075
Here is something to try,

Charge your battery with a battery charger (the kind that runs on 120volts) then start the car. If your battery light comes on immediately, it's a problem with the alternator or battery or both. If it takes a while for it to do it then you have a very large load on the electrical system somewhere (i.e. A short)

But I'd put my money on the battery. Try replacing that first, it's not a bad idea anyway.
>>
>>14230075
I had a similar problem and cleaning the battery terminals fixed it for me, as stupid as that sounds.
>>
1. Acquire a decent multimeter
2. Check battery with multimetwr car off, should be like 11.9-12.2v
3. Start car, do same test. If charging, you should be something like 14-14.5v across the battery.
4. If not, use continuity on your multimeter and check from the alternator power out to battery positive. A beep confirms the connection is good. Sometimes there is a inline fuse between the alt and battery that can burn out.

If your alternator is working, I would follow other anons suggestions. Do a battery health test and look for drains/shorts.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.