[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Head gasket?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 20160111_150433.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160111_150433.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Am I going to need a new head gasket? I've been losing coolant, and i guess this is where it's been going.

97 4banger Jeep TJ
>>
Cloudy exhaust?
>>
No. It could be a cracked block or head.
>>
File: 1421535663178[1].jpg (95 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1421535663178[1].jpg
95 KB, 720x960
May seem like it... some goop is normal if you live somewhere cold and you don't drive very long distances as your normal route, but if you're visibly loosing coolant then I'd start looking for reasons
>>
>>14219397
This, is it stupidly cold where you are OP? If you drive in the cold and at short distances you'll get milky caps.
>>
>>14219352
If you're high mileage just stick a motor in it. It'll be easier in the long run.
>>
>>14219404
>>14219405
IT's been freezing for a couple of months now. and it was my daily for about a month when it started getting cold.

The last time I drove it (xmas) I spent all day off-roading. Would that burn off the milkiness?
>>
>>14219450
>Would that burn off the milkiness?

It should. Like the other anon said if you aren't losing coolant then you should be fine.

The milkiness is caused by dry cold air. It's almost like how your body produces extra mucus to keep everything hydrated. Same with an engine.
>>
>>14219469
Also forgot to mention I live in WI so I see this on the daily with my friends who are concerned about their vehicles and forget every winter that this is a common thing.
>>
>>14219450
No idiot if you left it sitting since xmas it just came back

go drive it for 30 minutes and then check.

it could be intake gaskets as likely as it could be a warped head, but you're not gonna find out without tearing it down
>>
>>14219450
No, nothing is able to burn off the milkiness. Its basically a mixture of oil and condensation. You'll have to clean it off by hand, and for that I'd use some diesel and a tootbrush

How fast is it loosing coolant?
>>
>>14219469
>if you aren't losing coolant then you should be fine.
See
>>14219352
>I've been losing coolant
>>
>>14219477
>>14219450

Misread the post. Other anon is right, gotta keep driving this thing. Letting it sit in freezing temps is no breuno .
>>
>>14219477
>it could be intake gaskets
I didn't notice some coolant on the exhaust manifold, which is under the intake (don't ask me why), when it first started losing coolant.

I'll take it out for some errands in a minute and sere what I find out.
>>
>>14219522
did or didn't?

I'd change intake gaskets all day long rather than remove a head and have it machined and all the other bullshit that comes with it
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.