[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are ameripoors always complaining about old german car maintenace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: E38-7.jpg (151 KB, 1147x768) Image search: [Google]
E38-7.jpg
151 KB, 1147x768
why are ameripoors always complaining about old german car maintenace costs?they're everywhere all over the place in europe and its not that bad,considering that bmw/audi/merc are much better to drive than your shit chevrolets and other junks.parts arent that expensive and it doesnt cost a fortune to fix them,why are you whining /o/? its coming from a current 740i owner,i've owned a '94 535i, 2002 530d,2003 530i and neither of these caused my any headaches.
>>
>>14217376
>europoors consider 100k km high mileage
>'murricans consider 500k km high mileage

Different strokes etc.......
>>
*maintenance
*me
>lel grammar
>>
>>14217376
Realize that parts for a German car are cheaper when they don't have to cross an ocean.
Also, if the parts keep selling expensive here, which they do, why would anyone make them cheaper?
>>
>>14217379
my 740i currently has 323k on the clock
>>
>>14217396
>km

Cool, my Town Car had 434k when I traded it in. Original powertrain, the only problem I had was the rear air springs which I replaced with coils and never had to worry about again.

Some people like cars that last without needing $1k plus in maintenance every year. Again, different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>14217376
Parts are more expensive here because cause lolovernight from Germany, and American versions of said cars typically have alot standard that are options in Europe
>>
>>14217376
Your shit didn't cause any headaches because your parts are 1/2 the price and therefore the cars were always kept up with maintenance.

In the US and Aus, BMW/Mercs were at one point all owned by poor morons who think 20k miles is acceptable for an oil change and couldn't be bothered spending $2k to change some fucking bearings.
This means they are all trashed heaps of shit, no exceptions.

Meanwhile, in an LS400, everything is excellent forever.
>>
>>14217546
>Meanwhile, in an LS400, everything is excellent forever.

Until the timing belt snaps, idiot.
>>
>>14217376
Because 90% of people here cant afford proper car so they either drive japanese shitboxes or end up with beaten to death bimmer or merc and then whine about it.

There is saying that nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes, this also aplies for BMW
>>
>>14217551
Ahh yes, worry about the 1UZ.

One of the only car engines certified by the FAA.

Or i guess i could buy an audi and drop the fucking engine out to replace the chains at barely any longer than the 1UZ belt lasts
>>
>why are ameripoors always complaining about old german car maintenace costs?
Because German brands know that you won't make money with basic trims in the US, nobody's going to buy a Mercedes-Benz as a taxicab, so they only sell premium trims to begin with, and premium trims have more things to go wrong.
>>
>>14217379
>>14217379
Europoors do not consider 100k high mileage. Look up european classifieds, many of the cars are 300-500k kilometers. I have owned a 370k km e46 328ci and a 400k km e36 323i. The mileage stacks up quickly on autobahns.
also clocking is a thing. serious issue here, often "200k km" cars are sold as 400-500k.
>>
>>14217582
>In the early 1990s, Toyota began working with Hamilton Standard to develop a twin-turbocharged aircraft engine derived from its four liter V8 Lexus engine. This project resulted in the FV2400-2TC, a 360-horsepower fuel injected engine equipped with Hamilton Standard FADEC engine controls. Such an engine is twice as powerful as the non-Toyota powerplant used in the TAA-1. The FV2400 received FAA type certification in February 1996 and production certification in July 1997. Before the project was shelved, media reports indicated that the engines would be produced in Japan, and shipped to Hamilton Standard to be equipped with the FADEC controls, and it would be marketed in direct competition to engines produced by Teledyne Continental and Lycoming. Flight testing of the engine was done in a Piper Malibu, and though some media reports state that it was also tested in a “Burt Rutan-designed single”, it is unlikely that such a large engine was tried in the 4-place TAA-1. What’s more, there is some contention by industry experts that Toyota didn’t really plan on producing the engine, but rather it was an R&D exercise with the actual goal of getting their feet wet in the ways of product development, flight test and certification.
>Toyota put the best team available worldwide into the development of the 1UZFE. They really wanted to break into the market but after hitting what must have been massive market entry 'snags' in the aviation powerplant industry, I think they realized it best to stick to automotive products.

>he actually drinks the marketing kool-aid

>>14217593
I've seen yuropoors aplenty on here asking if low 100k km was too many for a used car.
>>
>>14217646
100k km is much maybe for a 1-3 year old car because for the people in western europe countries the daily commute is often a 50-100+ km trip on the autobahn.
>>
My E32 BMW has been thus far the most expensive piece of shit I've ever owned, things just keep breaking down all the time and they aren't cheap to replace, not in the slightest.
Meanwhile my old ass Chrysler still soldiers on like a true American.
>>
Parts are more expensive in the States for European cars.

Also, Americuck mechanics see European cars as an opportunity to double and triple their normal labor rates.
>>
>>14217672
the big engined e32s are quite unreliable, especially the auto trannys. however my mom used to own a chrysler stratus and it was awful.
>>
>>14217680
The small engine 7's weren't any better and yes, the transmission is fucking atrocious. I'm on my 3rd one currently.
But like I said, my little piece of America still keeps going on despite being an almost 30 years old 4 banger shitbox.
>>
>>14217695
the e32 735i i6 with manual trans is reliable though.
>>
>>14217723
The trans yeah, the engine not so much
>>
>>14217748
i mean the engine. the old 211hp 3.5 inline six is considered one of the most reliable bmw engines, which means much.
>>
>>14217766
So it's the least prone to blow up, got it.
Just as a pointer, it isn't all that reliable in global standards though. They have some horrendous cam wear problems like most early BMWs did.
>>
>>14217773
i know quite alot of e30s and e34s with m20b25 and m20b20s still holding up well despite being beat the shit out of it constantly so idk.
>>
>>14217837
Yeah, my M20B20 E34 was a fucking bomb, but the engine luckily was bomb proof. Then the timing belt skipped and all hell broke loose.
I mean, the 25k belt interval is just ridiculous.
M50's then had the cam issues like the M30, many beat to shit ones refusing to rev even 5k.
Also that fucking tick, tictictictictictictic go the lifters
>>
>>14217748
The opposite actually the m30 only needs periodic valve adjustments around 20k miles, and oil changes.

The zf auto that is mated to it craps out around 120k miles.

If it has the getrag then it'll run forever.
>>
>>14217846
>not liking the sewing machine sound of the m30

Better than the dieseling of the m62 at least
>>
>>14217852
The ZF auto has problems with the A clutch pack shaft seals that leak pressure into the clutch assembly, pressurizing it and causing it to slip in neutral and park.
I know the valve adjustment shit because no hydraulic lifters in a prehistoric boat anchor.
There was also some problem with the "hollow bolts" along the oiler tube, which like became misaligned after a while and the lubrication failed to reach the cam properly, causing tremendous wear.

>>14217867
Point is, the M30 isn't supposed to tick like a fucking paki bomb, it was once the god damn flagship model of BMW and should sound like one.
>>
>>14217867
M62 sounds beautiful. Owned one for 2 years.
>>
>>14217846
never seen an m50 or m52 running bad, seen some non working vanoses and blown head gaskets due to overheating though. maybe its different in america
>>
>>14217924
I'm not in America sadly, but live in Europe. I've seen broken M50's every now and then, they aren't all that uncommon really.
Most for sale online have overheating issues, cracked heads or >doesn't rev past 3k, needs a 20$ part to be fixed
>>
>>14217376
It's almost like it's domestic parts vs imported parts
>>
>>14217989
Except North America is the largest market for German imports.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.