[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats /o/ opinion on shopping at carmax? Ive read the reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: carmaxbig.jpg (370 KB, 2100x1691) Image search: [Google]
carmaxbig.jpg
370 KB, 2100x1691
whats /o/ opinion on shopping at carmax?

Ive read the reviews and shit but I just want more opinion

I am an autist and have no talent in haggling or even experience.

looking to buy a used car for less than $18k, sedan or coupe whichever.
>>
>>14208303
The short list:

-most of what they sell is overpriced

-most of their inventory is rental fleet/prior lease cast offs

-you don't have to haggle

-they offer extended warranties (for a price) on everything if your paranoid about shit breaking

-they can get people with shit credit financed
>>
Never sell to them.
If you do buy from them, get the warranty/service plan.
>>
I'm so glad my mom took me to yard sales growing up. I out haggled carpet sellers in Bahrain.
>>
>>14208335

any tips on haggling senpai?
>>
>>14208314

i have average credit and like I said im autistic to even haggle.

so are they my top choice then instead of a used car dealer?
>>
>>14208314
this
it's car buying for idiots that don't want to do basic research on how to buy cars, and have more money than sense.

if you trade your car in they're going to give you like 20% less than what you'd get on trade in anywhere else
>>
you will get raped, hard.

if you want a no haggling experience use your autism to wait for sales on new cars online for dealers (end of year is a good time, trying to get 2015 cars at the end of 2015).

Find your largest volume dealer in the area, typically attached to a national chain like AutoNation. They'll have online prices that are significantly under MSRP. look for those. Typically, you can negotiate, if you're good, for less than that. Typically, that advertised price comes with a credit such as "Ford Credit credit" where you get dosh back for using the dealer's credit company instead of a proper credit union.
Find that price, go in, test drive, make sure you like it. Mention the price and refuse to go any higher than that, just say "no I want this price without ferd credit". if they don't give it to you, leave. once they give you that price, you'll get to meet the financer nerd. all you have to do is say "no" to everything.

Go late-ish afternoon (so they're anxious to make a sale and go home) and go at the end of the month (when they're rushing to hit sales goals)

thus, you have an experience where you get a decent price on a car, without really haggling. just say no a lot and threaten to leave. you'll get a lot less raped.
>>
>>14208317
in all honesty, I wouldn't even buy form them

They only real pros they offer are:

-no haggling
-they have shit loads of dealerships, so if you are looking for a car in specific color and trim, they can probably find it

You can occasionally find things at a decent price, but you will regularly see shit like a 10 year old ford focus for more than 10 grand

>>14208346
If you are too autistic to deal with a dealership, stick to craigslist
>>
>>14208341
Be willing to walk away
Never be honest about how much you're willing to spend
You don't have to point out every flaw you see but maker sure the other person sees that you notice them.
Imply that you have other options
NEVER act like you're sold especially not at the beginning.
Don't say "I'm looking for X" say "I just thought I'd drop in and see what you've got". If you tell them exactly what you want it says that you're already sold. Even if you are, don't tell them.

The best way to learn haggling is to practice it but following those tips is better than nothing.
>>
>>14208409
>Never be honest about how much you're willing to spend
i thought one of the best techniques was to pick a price and stick to it, and be really bummed about it not being that price

>"aww geez if only it was $xxxx can't you do anything mister?"
>>
>>14208409
>Don't say "I'm looking for X" say "I just thought I'd drop in and see what you've got". If you tell them exactly what you want it says that you're already sold. Even if you are, don't tell them.

eh, you can tell a dealer what you're looking for to cut out the bullshit, just don't act like you've fallen in love with anything or get too specific. otherwise you risk dealing with some dude who tried to stuff you into whatever car is on the bonus spiff for that month
>>
>>14208409
thanks this was a great read, but if i did say"I just thought I'd drop in and see what you've got" wouldnt they ask me for what am looking for?

>>14208359
thanks for this, i didnt know about the end of the month and sales goals and such.

>>14208363
but wouldnt craigslist sellers fuck me up more in the long run? like sell me a lemon?
>>
I wouldn't buy from carmax but they serve their purpose. Mostly they're a good place for clueless car buyers who don't have a car saavy wingman to accompany them. Other than that, they're great for test drives since they don't have the same hangups a lot of dealers do so if you're trying to get a good feel for a few different cars a carmax is a good place to windowshop. Just don't let them know you don't plan on buying from them and they'll let you fingerfuck, explore and drive everything they have all day.
>>
>>14208431
Those are two different things though. You can be willing to spend $10k, but that's not what you tell the guy. You pick $8k and stick to it for as long as you can.
>>
>>14208451
yeah, but to frame it as "i can only afford x"

>"well i really really want that car and i could totally do it for 8k but no more, that's my maximum! Can't you do anything to help me get it for 8k?"

and make sure never to talk in terms of monthly payments, only APR and price.
>>
>>14208464

well I guess my APR would be higher because of my credit score.

so all in all, everyone would rather go to a dealer or an auto group who sells used cars rather than carmax?
>>
>>14208431
Yeah, but don't tell them what your max price is. If you wanna use that technique lie to them and round it down a bit. If you have 25k, tell them your max is 20k.

>>14208432
You can steer the conversation.
>I'm not really into___
>Hey what's that?
etc.
Still, that tip might be better for yard sales and carpets and less so for cars where you're expected to know what you're looking for before hand.

>>14208438
>wouldnt they ask me for what am looking for?
Well tell them what you want but don't sound like you're already comited to buying it. like:
>Howabout one of those Challengers? I hear those are pretty good.
Make it sound like you're still thinking about different options.
>>
>>14208438
>but wouldnt craigslist sellers fuck me up more in the long run? like sell me a lemon?

So let me preface all this by saying, I AM a used car salesman. That said,

You can buy a lemon from anyone OP, the best way to avoid one is to teach yourself some basic mechanical skills and research common problems specific to the vehicle you are interested in. This way, you can do a basic inspection of the vehicle yourself, and avoid wasting time on cars in terrible shape.

Beyond that, any car you are seriously considering as a purchase, you should have inspected by a third party prior to completing the purchase (aka pre-purchase inspection)

If you really are super autistic, you will get fucking steam rolled by a dealership. We come to work to make money, and that involves certain amount pressure in the sales processes. In a perfect world, I would tell you to man up, and learn to deal with because that's part of becoming a functional adult in the real world

BUT, I see people like you get fucked HARD on a daily basis, so as easy as it is to say you just need to go fucking figure it out, I know from real world experience most people like you end up getting fucked by some dealership somewhere if you try and go that route, and it will PROBABLY be safer for you to stick to a private seller, and focus your autism towards checking out/inspecting the car

now, that me type up a long post about car dealerships and haggling....
>>
>>14208489
so, dealerships. Lots of people in this thread have given good advice, so I will try and recap and expand

First thing to know is that new car and used car dealerships work on different sales models, so while a lot of advice is interchangeable, there are some things you have to keep in mind that are specific to each

Lets start with new cars.

New car dealerships don't really make any money off the car itself. All the money is made on the 'back end', through monthly/yearly bonuses, financing, and up-sells (warranty, accessories, maintenance plans, that sort of shit)

New car dealerships will always have a monthly sales goal, and will always have specific cars they are trying to push, because selling X number of them will result in a bonus, and again, that's where the real money is.

Also, they will try and get you to finance with them, and not your bank (Ford Credit, or Honda Financial, what have you). Again, the dealerships earn a commission on every loan they set up, plus a bonus if they convert enough customers to "in house' financing

So what does this mean? Like people said above, time is in your side. sadly, the best time of the year 9the end of december) just passed, but you always want to wait till the end of the month for a new car dealership, when they are down to the last few days to make their sales goals and earn a bonus. this will significantly increase the amount they are willing to adjust price.

catching end of model year cars also does this, as a dealership has to move out their 2015 model years for 2016 ones, or else pay tax on them at the end of year/face a penalty from the car maker
>>
>>14208538

I see. thank you for your input sir.
>>
>>14208538
hmm, is it worthwhile to agree to use their in house financing so they're more fluid on price, then immediately refinance with someone else after you get the car?
>>
>>14208538
So, for new cars, the end of the month, and if you can manage, the end of the year, are always going to be the best times for you the consumer to approach things, as the dealership will be at it's most 'desperate'

Again, as pointed out above, if you live in an area with lots of dealerships together, check online prices, then email all of them on the same email, telling them what you are looking for, with an offer to buy from whichever dealership offers you the lowest price.

in this way, you can sometimes start a small bidding war amongst local dealerships trying to get your business.

now, remember what I said earlier about how dealerships will try and lure you in on their own financing? Always have at least ONE finance offer in hand before you go to a dealership. Why? because even if they get you approved, they often won't show you the best terms up front.

you might get approved through Ford at 0 down for 6%, and the sales manager will come out and tell you that you need 1000 down, and are approved at 10%. why? because they always bet on some sucker taking the offer without negotiating, hence they make the down payment money, plus they make extra cash off the higher interest rate

keep in mind, when buying a car, EVERYTHING is negotiable, and the dealership often has strong financial incentive to not show oyu their best cards up front

This leads neatly into the next bit of advice...NEVER be afraid to walk away from a deal. You control all the power, and walking away will often net you a phone call with a better offer days or hours

>>14208573
absolutely as long as they don't have some hinky penalty clause in the loan paperwork for doing it
>>
>>14208564
I'll add that some private sellers are bigger cunts than dealers and others will outright try to rob you so make a few visits without cash
>>
>>14208580
So at the end of the day, you want to leverage as many things to your advantage as possible. wait them out till the end of the month or year. bring a pre-approval to the table, and only offer to accept their financing if they give better terms and/or come down on vehicle price, and never be afraid to walk away if you don't like the deal

As stated above, it's best to be somewhat vague. You don't want to act as though you have fallen in love with a vehicle, and you always want to talk around sales figures and numbers that are lower than what you are willing to pay. never give your top dollar, and certainly don't lead with it

A pro-tip for negotiating is this, ALWAYS haggle and negotiate on the bottom line, out the door price. NEVER negotiate around monthly payments. dealerships have far to many ways to distort a monthly payment, and hife terrible loan terms of fees, and fixing you on a monthly payment makes it easy to slip this kind of thing past an inexperienced buyer

Always ask for a full buyers order outlining the break down of fees, always negotiate off that paper, and always focus on the bottom line. If you have to keep your payment under a certain amount, whip out your phone and figure it yourself ,but never negotiate around payments
>>
>>14208617
>>14208580
you should really make a "how to get a deal" pastebin and just distribute the link around
>>
>>14208633
I have a 75% completed work document that is basically "how to fucking buy a car and deal with dealerships" that i really need to finish

>>14208617
Used dealerships are a bit different, as they have to focus more on getting margin out of the actual cars themselves, as they are not getting monthly and yearly kickbacks from an automaker to supplement their profit margin

Now, used dealerships still work around monthly budgets, so it's still worth your wild to wait to the end of the month if you can. With used dealerships however, it's all about turn time. they hate having cars linger on a lot for months on end. if you are looking to deal, start looking months before you actually want to buy. while it may not always be possible, if you can find a car that a dealer has had hanging around for 30 days or more, they will be much more willing ot negotiate price

with used haggling however, the condition of the car, and the price of comparable cars will factor far more into the negotiation. As said above, you will want to be able to look the car over well, take note of all the faults you find, and present a case as to why the car isn't worth what the dealership is asking.

In general, always make THEM make you the first offer, and again, always negotiate around bottom line price and not payments
>>
>>14208617

wait hold on, so for example a dealer wants to ask my information and credit score and such for the financing, should I give them that and can I still walk away from them if I think they are giving me a bad deal?
>>
>>14208665
Yes. They are/will still pull your credit, but that is in no way binding. They can fucking print the paperwork, and you can be one signature away from completing it, and change your mind, rip up the contract and walk out
>>
pretend you're mike brewer
>>
>>14208678

I see. I thought once I give away my info and such I wouldnt be able to walk away.
>>
>>14208821
It's NEVER too late to walk away
>>
>>14208851

ok last thing, so how do I do that pre purchase inspection by a mechanic? like bring a mechanic with me to the dealer? or after I have selected a car and they have pulled my credit and information and I am set into it, then I find a mechanic to inspect for it?
>>
Tried selling my car low balled me almost 4k. So I sold it private for that much more, they had decent cars there though. I just dont recommend selling to them
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.