[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ND springs or coilovers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: do want.png (318 KB, 867x513) Image search: [Google]
do want.png
318 KB, 867x513
I'm about to be singing off on a new ND Mx-5. Just need to choose the trim, but I've run into a bit of a dilemma.

Do I get the club spec and just change the springs over the Bilstein dampers for $300-500 or get the sport and part out the suspension to get a set of full coilovers $3K- oem suspension return. Currently looking at getting the Integral Kobe Type-S set.

Am I crazy or is this doable? Is the peformance increase worth it over just getting new springs?
>>
Get the sport and buy an LSD first
>>
>>14171915
Idk, are you a good singer? Post vocaroo?
>>
>>14171960
what
>>
File: 1448653795846.gif (2 MB, 379x452) Image search: [Google]
1448653795846.gif
2 MB, 379x452
Jap coilovers tend to suck on the street but are fine on tracks. For 3k and a street car, I'd be more inclined to go with KW or Bilstein coilovers.

Or swap the springs to something more aggressive and get some swaybars and stickier tires.
>>
>>14171964
>Jap coilovers tend to suck
>not knowing the greatness that is Integral Kobe and RS Aizawa in the Miata world

https://youtu.be/G4uFK8cOaBE?t=6m21s

Do you have proof that their quality is better than say these?
>>
get the club and keep the stock Springs in storage and put them back on when you decide to sell the miata

you will do better in the used market when you sell your miata

i should know, I was looking for my car and there were a fuckton of ones that were heavily modded that I just skipped over
>>
>>14172009
I'm never selling the car though . .
>>
File: 1434047281951.png (852 KB, 699x673) Image search: [Google]
1434047281951.png
852 KB, 699x673
>>14171998
Are you questioning the quality and rep of KW or Bilstein, or are you being facetious?
>>
>3400 buckaroos
You can get Öhlins for less.
>>
>>14172047
KW nor Bilstein make coilovers for the ND. The ones that do fit are 2 way. The Kobe's are 6 way and from what I've gathered use higher quality materials.

>>14172076
But are they better
>>
>>14172088
They're Öhlins, so yes.
>>
>>14171915
the literally who of suspension

>>14172088
all the best dampers are european
>>
>>14172099
You mind comparing and telling me a little bit why?
>>14172115
The Kobe's are from a peformance shop that has the highest number of awards and fastest Miata's in all of Japan on track and touge.

>http://rev9autosport.com/integral-kobe-master-spec-damper-kit-type-s.html
>>
>>14172115
>all the best track dampers are european

ftfy o-pai

Get the Japanese coilovers op. They'll be better made to suit the touge if that is what you plan to do.
>>
>>14171915
you will hate yourself and get made fun of if you dont get the lsd first off

imo:
>get the club
>drive hard for a few months
>then decide what you want from the suspension
by then you might realize you only want springs
or maybe you think the stock dampers are ass and want adjustment

you wont know till you drive the car
and buying mods for a car you dont have is actually retarded
if you have money in the budget for the club, why not get it?
>>
my bad i forgot the laws of physics are different on the tooj
>>
>>14172132
>and get made fun of
Literally what. I already bought the LSD and have driven a demo car for a fair bit. I honestly just want the best street handling performance out of the car for the suspension setup I choose. I already the know the stock setup is not for me.

Also the club really isn't worth the extra 3.5 grand.
>>
File: 1442805785583.jpg (6 KB, 170x229) Image search: [Google]
1442805785583.jpg
6 KB, 170x229
>have rock hard JDM coilovers
>bounce all over the touge
>get koni yellows and some used HKS springs, and some sway bars
>set the worlds fastest time
>>
>>14172192
>bounce all over the touge

Kobe hold's the fastest touge time attacks in Miata's in all of Japan and beat out Tsuchiya's 86 in battles as well. Even the video shows how smooth the NC is as if it's floating.
>>
>>14172170
Not worth dishing out $3500 for jdm dampers when cheaper stuff will do the job just fine.
>>
>>14172220
>when cheaper stuff will do the job just fine.
I WANNA BE

W
A
N
N
A

B
E
>>
File: mfw.jpg (97 KB, 1288x552) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
97 KB, 1288x552
>>14171998
that video made me rock hard
>>
>>14172088
>6 way
why not just 3 way ?
>>
>>14172285
>why not just 3 way ?
THE VERY BEST

V
E
R
Y

B
E
S
T
>>
>>14172278
As soon as I saw the MR-S spin

I knew it was Miata all day for me

Plus with the ND you save a shit load on bracing since it's already extremely stiff
>>
File: 1422223742180.jpg (109 KB, 550x375) Image search: [Google]
1422223742180.jpg
109 KB, 550x375
>>14171915
>OP spends close to $3800 for shipping and handling jdm coilovers
>OP slides his first rwd shitbox into a curb
>OP obliterates 1-2 wheels
>OP completely destroys the entirety of the suspension and steering in one corner
>OP didnt insure his mods, and like a fucking ricer child, sold all the stock pieces

hopefully you post here again when this actually happens
>>
File: 1440199383956.jpg (9 KB, 159x199) Image search: [Google]
1440199383956.jpg
9 KB, 159x199
>>14172240
>>14172305
>>
>>14172318
I was having a good day today anon, please no.

I plan to drive this car for the rest of my life. I just want it to be perfect . .
>>
>>14172343

Then leave it be for now and modify based on what you feel its shortcomings are.

This is coming from a fellow Miatafaggot, I drove it on the stock springs for a year before getting coilovers (FYI I did spring for nip coilovers from Maruha) and I don't regret it, because it let me feel out where I needed improvement and where I didn't.

Buying a mod blind is silly. Don't do it.
>>
>>14172360
>modify based on what you feel its shortcomings are.

I've already felt them, and I want the best replacement.

>Buying a mod blind is silly.
So I'm assuming you tested your coilovers before you purchased them?
>>
>>14172343
>>14172170

you already bought a lsd?

for a car you dont own?

what
>>
>>14172388
>for a car you dont own?

There's a club and a sport on the lot. I'm taking a little time to decide since all the paperwork is done and my loan amount is high enough for both trims.

There's a hold on the LSD so I can always cancel the order.
>>
http://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1219
forget the touge
>>
>>14172384

>I've already felt them, and I want the best replacement.

You said you drove the demo car "for a fair bit," and the point I'm trying to make here is that's not long enough.

What don't you like about it?
Does it not transition fast enough?
What's the terminal over/understeer situation?
Are you looking for thicker sways or a higher spring rate?
Speaing of sways, what do you plan about doing about them?
What's the balance of the sways, is it oversprung in the rear or undersprung?
What are the roads like in your area?
Can you get away with slamming it or do you need to be .5" higher than most?
Based on ride height, what sort of spring rate are you looking at?

Driving the car for a few test drives and saying "I want the BEST replacement" is silly. You need to have a plan, and that requires FUCKLOADS of data and autism to get the real best setup.

>So I'm assuming you tested your coilovers before you purchased them?
I drove countless other cars with varying setups, felt the punishing ride of shitty china brand fuckpile ones, the track oriented baller setups, and everything in between.

The particular set I ended up buying I didn't get the chance to test explicitly because they were so rare, but I had driven a car with identical spring rates, damper rates, and roughly equivalent sways. Surprise, it felt exactly like I had planned it to.
>>
>>14172419
>http://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1219

>2-way adjustable
>**SPRINGS ARE SOLD SEPARATELY**
>** NOTE: Does NOT include front upper mount. OE rear mount is re-used**

no, you
>>
>>14172437

Oh, also I forgot to add to this... TIRES

TIRES TIRES TIRES.

The best setup in the fucking world isn't worth shit if you're rolling on bargain basement boogers.

Wheel diameter, wheel width, and weight, even, will factor into what setup you want to get. The un sprung weight of the wheel factors in to how fast the shock and spring react.
>>
>>14172407
Get the club then.

1. Resale value
2. No need to buy/install LSD
3. If you really want to build it with a "the best or nothing" attitude then start with the best trim...
4. Nicer wheels
5. The shocks it comes with are probably good, but you could sell them for more to buy your new ones if you so decide
>>
File: do want 2 electric boogaloo.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
do want 2 electric boogaloo.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>14172437
>that's not long enough.
It was plenty long enough to know I didn't want it to handle like that anymore.

>What don't you like about it?
It's good for sweepers, but fuck trying to get it to go though chicanes/ multiple hairpins. Once the weight is fully loaded to one side you are basically fucked trying to redirect the inertia without over/understeer on the body roll.
>Does it not transition fast enough?
On low speed corners, yes, but hard to notice with the all electric steering
>What's the terminal over/understeer situation?
>Are you looking for thicker sways or a higher spring rate? The car is already extremely stiff. It would only really need the front and rear stiffened with shock towers since the undercarriage is already cross membered with a connecting plate. Couldn't hurt.
>Speaing of sways, what do you plan about doing about them? Not much of an opinion on it right now
>What are the roads like in your area?
Mountains, and ridiculous rolling hills everywhere
>Can you get away with slamming it or do you need to be .5" higher than most?
Please never say slamming, ugh disgusting. I was gonna just go with the recommended settings from Kobe.
>Based on ride height, what sort of spring rate are you looking at? Again Kobe settings and go from there- spring rate F: 60N / mm R: 35N / mm

There's nothing wrong with wanting the best, but there never really is a "best". For what I want though, Kobe is the best at it with the most experience and top honors that I know of.

>>14172452
That's phase 2. The shop I plan on selling the suspension to wasn't too keen on taking the sport wheels. Oh well.

>>14172512
I'm never selling the car. Just because of this post, I'll make sure it's buried with me too.
>>
>>14172640
>showing her undercarriage

L-lewd
>>
>>14172640

>Tires phase 2
Nope. You can ignore all my other advice for all I fucking care but don't be that dumb faggot who niggers out on tires and is surprised when the car doesn't suddenly become brilliant after spending 3k on suspension.

>Again Kobe settings and go from there- spring rate F: 60N / mm R: 35N / mm
That's actually quite conservative in terms of spring rate. It's 342/200 lb/in equivalent. That's not a bad thing, BTW, it's just that a lot of people are like "hurf durf give me 700/500 ouch why does my ass hurt?"

Also if you are ignoring the sways you've only got half the equation right. You say you want less body roll, that's a big key. TL;DR sway bars control body roll, but as a disadvantage make the overall system behave more like a non-independent system. A good balance of spring and sway makes for the best of both worlds without becoming ass-punishingly rough.

>Mountains, and ridiculous rolling hills everywhere
I meant surface quality. Are they fresh paved and glorious or kinda shitty and cragged out?
If they are smooth and sexy you want more spring than sway, and if they're the surface of the moon you want more sway than spring.

Anyways you could write books and books and books about design so I'm missing mountains of info and glossing over most of it, but you seem to be on the right track.
>>
File: 16x8.jpg (43 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
16x8.jpg
43 KB, 440x440
>>14172732
>niggers out on tires
I wasn't going to. I needed a place to sell the oem tires to first, but I'm still looking. Was going to get Rays 16x7.5 +25 wheels and ZII tires (215/40R17)

I still want to see how the chassis will respond. Plus still gotta see if this shop(s) will take other part outs (radio, seats, DRL's, etc)

It's the US of A. Are infrastructure has shit quality roads everywhere, especially the higher you go in elevation.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.