[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I am looking to invest in an "okay" or "good"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11
File: image.png (205 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
205 KB, 640x1136
Hey guys,
I am looking to invest in an "okay" or "good" tool set. I want to pay around $70. Just looking for something basic. I just got a Ford Explorer sports trac that I want to work on.
What are good brands and what should I be looking for in a set?

Thanks
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14171513
$70 isn't a lot of money for tools. But for that, I would keep an eye out for a sale on a Craftsman ratchet set. Or Kobalt from Lowes.

If you get a decent ratchet set, just buy the rest as you need it.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14171513
>>14171527
And as far as sockets, I would look for deep 6pt sockets. 3/8" drive should get you through most, but a 1/4" with some bigger sockets will help when you really need to use force.

You're also going to want some Torx and Hex bits for sure. And a big C-clamp for brakes. Pliers are worth their weight in gold as well.
>>
>>14171513
Set aside $150 for a decent jack and stands from Harbor Freight. That is real important if you don't want to die. Especially since you are working on an SUV.

And testing lights are real cheap and a great tool for electrical stuff.
>>
>>14171544
>1/4"
What? You're a retard.
>>
>>14171583
Test lights are shit. Buy a multimeter, they're cheap.
>>
>>14171588
Yes. Meant 1/2"

1/4" is nice to have too, I like it for those torx and hex sockets.
>>
>>14171592
True. Beyond testing fuses and basic stuff, a multimeter is very useful. I know my dad had a million of them when he died, too bad I didn't get those. I gotta grab a decent one. Maybe when I finally get to Northern Tool to grab the jack. I was right by a HF the other day while working and almost grabbed the 3-Ton for $100.
>>
File: image.png (369 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
369 KB, 640x1136
How good is Stanley?
>>
>>14171635
Dude just go to Harbor Freight. Their sockets and ratchets are fine for people who won't be doing much work.
>>
>>14171635
Pretty good, lifetime warranty but all decent tools have that now. this is the exact set i own
>>
>>14171635
That's not a bad starter kit. Their wrenches are decent. Plus they give you the spark plug socket, hex keys, and screwdriver with torx bits. That will get you far. I also like how it has a 3/8" and 1/4" wrench.

Don't forget about a jack and stands. I don't wanna see another anon ded from trying to change rusty brakes with the shitty scissor jack. If you are really broke and use the scissor jack to lift the car, at least throw a set of $25 jack stands under the car.
>>
>>14171637
At that price, I don't think HF will even be much cheaper for what all is included. He can use HF for the odd tools that he will need in the future.
>>
File: image.png (311 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
311 KB, 640x1136
Would this one be a better set?
>>
>>14171710
I like the Craftsman set. Real easy to exchange anything that breaks. And I prefer the screwdriver in the Craftsman set over the one in the Stanley. All those little driver bits for the screwdriver will come in handy as well.

Only thing the Craftsman is missing is a set of hex keys, which you will def need. But you can grab a folding set for $10.
>>
>>14171719
Nvm, just saw the Craftsman set actually does have the hex keys in the back of that pic.

I like Craftsman, but I think both sets are nice for the money and you can't go wrong either way.
>>
>>14171513

STOP OP.

Just go to Harbor Freight.

Get a tool set in either SAE or METRIC depending on what car you've got. Will be under $50.

Get a shitty 2 ton tack and some jack stands.

You should have: sockets, ratchet, jack equipment, screwdrivers.

Next to get:
flashlight
torque wrench

Should all be around $100..torque wrench and jack will be most expensive BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY if from HARBOR FREIGHT
>>
>>14171726
Thanks
>>
>>14171733
What makes hf so good??
>>
>>14171733
Pittsburg Pro shill pls

The stuff OP is looking at on eBay is a really good price. If he gets them at that price point, he will pay about the same as he would at HF, but for nicer tools.

HF is ok for a jack, stands, and odd little tools that will see limited use.
>>
>>14171740
It's incredibly cheap. That's it. Some of their stuff is ok, but lots of it is crap.

If you take care of your stuff, get the Craftsman set. It will last forever and you can always exchange stuff if anything breaks. Plus those prices you are getting are really good. You might save $5-$10 buying a similar set at HF, but the tools will be much worse.
>>
>>14171740
Nothing, but you don't have to wait for it and you can easily return stuff.
>>
>>14171758
Craftsman shit is garbage and not better than Chink Freight shit.
>>
>>14171765
At least you have the warranty.

And I have had good luck with all of my Craftsman stuff. Even when I abuse it. That's where I notice the difference between HF and more expensive brands.

The HF ratchets and sockets will work fine with light use. But when you need to get a really tight lug off with a 3/8" ratchet, the HF wrench won't want to stand up to te 3' pipe on the end. My Craftsman have been fine.

I do like Kobalt as well, about the same prices as Craftsman. I don't wrench enough to spend more on Snap-On or anything crazy. But I try to take care of my shit, and not buying garbage tools is an investment in the long term.
>>
>>14171780
God, you're an idiot. You have no authority on this subject, stop talking.
>>
>>14171784
Alright mr. Strap on
>>
>>14171784
not that guy, but that's pretty rude man
>>
>>14171784
If you're going to say something like that at least explain why.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 640x1136
>>14171784
I've used both man.

I'm not saying all HF stuff is horrible, but I'm saying OP is going to save like $10 if he buys a HF set with similar tools. The ratchets are garbage and they will break, and that is like the #1 tool that will be used. Sure they are cheap to replace, but you will replace it 5 times instead of just having one Craftsman or Kobalt. And if the more expensive one breaks, just bring it to Sears/Lowes and get a new one with no questions asked.

Seriously, my friend buys so much shit from HF and it seems like every time we are wrenching, the socket wrench just falls apart.
>>
>>14171806
He's retarded enough to put pipes on ratchets, he shouldn't be advising people on what tools to buy.
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 640x1136
>>14171812
With the HF tools, if you need to buy a ratchet from them, the Pittsburg Pro with the black and green rubber handle (pic related) seem to hold up much better than the ones with the circular head and all metal handle that comes in most of their kits. They're still cheap, but they normally last like 6 months compared to the month that the all metal Pittsburg ones last.
>>
>>14171823
Or using a flathead screwdriver as a pry bar. That is when you realize that HF tools are cheap for a reason.

I'll say it again man, not all of their tools are garbage if you don't abuse them or use them a ton. But with what OP is going to pay on eBay, spending the extra $10 will totally be worth it. Especially if he takes care of the stuff and doesn't lose it.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 575x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 575x431
>>14171823
4u
>>
>>14171667
What the fuck are you doing under the car for you brakes?
>>
File: image.jpg (214 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214 KB, 800x600
>>14171858
Idk man, not as bad as suspension stuff. But I might still stick my head or upper body under there if the bolts on the calipers are being a pain in the ass.

Even an oil change, I'm not trying to slide my arm under there to unscrew the drain plug if it is being held up by a scissor jack.
>>
>>14171867
The scissor jack is a bitch to use too. I was doing putting on my winter tires using one, but after doing the front tires I got so fed up I just borrowed a friend's floor jack.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 640x1136
Damn, this loos nice. 1/2" breaker bar and the other side is a 1/2" socket on one side and 3/8" on the other. It's only like $15 from some wholesale website.
>>
>>14171847
HF shit may be garbage, but it's pretty hard to call something garbage when you do something as retarded and unsafe as extending a socket wrench. Stop giving people advice.
>>
>>14171891
I'm not sure I'd trust it desu
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14171888
Czech'd

And I agree, they take so long. The one for my Escape sucks. I don't even have a jack now since I moved to this house, but I've been meaning to buy one. I just haven't done it yet because I can do oil changes without lifting the car.

My little bro wanted to learn how to change the oil on his Focus though. It reminded me that I really do need a jack and stands. Like I mentioned earlier, last Saturday I was delivering to a Family Dollar that is next door to a HF and almost grabbed their 3-Ton jack. There are a couple other things I want to grab while I'm there. I'm thinking about taking a drive today, but the HF isn't that close to my house.

Northern Tool had some nice jacks too for <$200, but seems like everybody who owns those 3-Ton steel HF jacks really likes them. Can't beat them for $100 either.
>>
>>14171899
That's what I was thinking. Ratchet mechanism seems kinda useless on a breaker bar when you only need that first 1/4 turn before you go to a regular ratchet.

>>14171898
Tools get abused in the real world man. And I have had those shitty HF ratchets explode on me under a lot less wear (moderate, normal use). I really, really hate their ratchets. The sockets seem OK for the most part, but I don't use them on an impact gun or anything. The screwdrivers and drill bits are pretty shitty for the most part. I haven't had a ton of experience with their regular box wrenches tho.

Drill bits are the one thing it's really worth to spend money on imo. Cheap ones will stay sharp for a day or two before they are useless. And cheap driver bits just seem to strip everything out.
>>
>>14171937
Tools get abused by idiots who want to waste time and put themselves and their property at risk.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.