[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Foreign Market-only cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 566x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 566x352
So does the trans-pacific partnership open up the possibility of getting cars directly from Japan?

My dream is to some day own a Toyota Century built with the driver's side on the left, in a country it would actually be worth to drive it (USA). Is this possible soon?
>>
We've been getting cars directly from Japan for many decades anon.
>>
>>14168910
Even if by some miracle that safety and emissions standards become unilateral between the EU, Japan and the states.

Those companies will still segregate those markets and keep some models in only those markets that sell the best in.
>>
import laws into British Columbia have been easing, so some rice fags have been importing a few right hand drive cars there for years. Word is there is some price break for imported cars made before 1990. A few right hand drive skylines and other goodies have been showing up in Seattle as a result.
>>
>>14168910
Why would they import the Century? It would never sell in the US, the car is very specifically catered to Japan in its fundamental design.
>>
>>14168910
>So does the trans-pacific partnership open up the possibility of getting cars directly from Japan?

To America? No.

>>14169823
They do make LHD ones for embassies.
Stalk them long enough when they're getting rid of them and try to buy it.

A looong time back some /o/fag in the states bought a Mitsubishi Dignity they were getting rid of and it was LHD
>>
>>14169847
Yeah but I mean importing and selling them as a competitor to other luxury sedans. What kind of westerner would buy one of these over an S-Class or a 7 series?
>>
>>14169847
They also have them in Canada, but I think those are grey market imports.

Truth is the Toyota Century was and is built with one specific type of customer in mind: the well off Japanese businessman who has a taste for tradition and is 'modest' with his wealth. Its definetly a beautiful car though, its right up there with the GTR as a Japanese car foreigners would kill to get.

Closest thing you could buy stateside is the Lexus LS, which is obviously not the same thing, but is still a very nice and luxurious car.
>>
>>14169847
The old one is literally a slightly longer Hyundai Equus, the new one is literally an Infiniti Q70L, you'd just have to change the badges and maybe order a grille from Korea.
>>
>>14169865
>>14169867
Weeb with money.
Lexus was introduced for the sole purpose of competing with Mercedes anyway, so yeah Toyota actually bringing them over for sale won't happen.

Even though the Century is a far better car, Americans are too snobbish and badgewhorey
>>
>>14169870
The Equus is a rebadged Dignity/Proudia, but the Mitsu version is much rarer.
>>
>>14169876
The Century styling is hella ugly by mainstream standards.
>>
>>14169894
>mainstream standards
Good. Because mainstream standards are shit; full of soap bars and melted dildos.
The Century is the only old school floaty brick that's still available.
>>
>>14169876
Like I said, the Century is built for a very specific type of customer, and scaling it up to an international customer base wouldn't make sense for several reasons, among them different expectations from customers, different regulations, and of course image.

Toyota's more broad appeal luxury car comes in the form of the Lexus LS, which is larger and has more features that are appealing to western consumers, such as leather trim and a longer wheelbase.
>>
>tfw no JDMtyte festiva
>>
>>14169884
The Dignity/Proudia is a rebadged Equus.

Fixed it for ya.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.