[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm really starting to get into cars, and I finally have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: terriblecarmod6.jpg (41 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
terriblecarmod6.jpg
41 KB, 500x290
So I'm really starting to get into cars, and I finally have my own house and enough money to play around with a project car.

Question is, what would be the best car for tuning? I want a car that I can buy for ~20K and tune it so that it can compete with 100K cars
>>
>>14167573
>and I finally have my own house
not saying I'm jelly but jelly.
>>
>>14167573
>so that it can compete with 100K cars
compete in what?
appearance?
performance?
>>
>>14167581
>two unique posters

Fuck off OP, this samefaggotry is beyond shameless
>>
>>14167581
Living in the middle of buttfuck nowhere kinda helps I guess. You could get a mansion for $200K where I live
>>14167585
performance wise. Don't really care about appearance.
>>
>>14167601
As I said OP, beyond shameless.
>>
File: Capture.png (151 KB, 869x680) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
151 KB, 869x680
>>14167615
what are you going on about? I don't samefag
>>
If you buy a car for ~20k you'll need to do a hell of a lot more than tune it to compete with most 100k vehicles
>>
Making a car fast isnt as simple as buying a somewhat fast car and tuning it.
Id recommend buying a 10-15K car and spending the rest on mods. Also learn how to tune so you dont have to pay out the ass for someone else to do it.
>>
>>14167601
YouTube Sloppy mechanics. Pick a RWD coupe and go to town.
>>
>>14167904
Well never mind the 100K bit of my OP...the main point of creating this post was to find a car that would be a good project car for performance tuning. Like I said I'm just getting into cars and not knowledgeable about tuning yet
>>
>>14167573
niggerz throwing around the "tune" buzzword like they know what they be talking aboot.
>>
>>14167955
Also you/we need to know exactly what you want to do with the car.
Drifting, drag racing, rally, autocross, circuit, etc....
>>
You can't really go wrong with a hot hatch. The Mazdaspeed3, Focus ST and GTI come to mind. A WRX would be fun too.

Any of the above will double as a good DD too if you stick to bolt ons.
>>
File: p104.jpg (156 KB, 980x540) Image search: [Google]
p104.jpg
156 KB, 980x540
>>14167573
>I want a car that I can buy for ~20K and tune it so that it can compete with 100K cars

Either this or an S2000.
>>
>>14167628
Before I replied this thread had two posters, >>14167585 obviously wasn't you so >>14167581 definitely was. Also any idiot can edit that text.
>>
>>14167948
>Id recommend buying a 10-15K car
Any recommendation for specific models?
>>14167987
I'm not really planning on doing any specific thing with it. I drive a boring old civic right now and initially wanted to buy a fast car. Then I thought I'd buy a cheap car and tune the hell out of it, that way I can get a fast car and learn about cars as well.
>>
>>14167989
cool good stuff. A WRX or an EVO were my initial thoughts, but I didn't if they would make a good project cars for tuning
>>
Mustangs are always good fun and boosting them won't break your pockets. For high power cheap you can get a ~2007 corvette and turbo it for a lot of power
>>
>Sub 20k
>100k car killer
>Wants full out performance

What you want is a motorcycle.
>>
>>14168037
FD RX-7
Infiniti G37x
90's Porsche 911
Literally any used RWD 2-door car.
>>
RX-7 FD, R32/33 GT-R, Evo VI/VII, Supra Mk IV, C5 Corvette and E36 M3 are probably your best bets.
>>
>>14168067
>90's Porsche 911

breh 993s and 964s in good shape go for like 50k. Never underestimate the appreciation of old Porsches. OP would be best off with a 997 if he wanted to tune a Porsche.
>>
>>14168056
WRXs make excellent tuner projects. EVOs do too but good luck finding one that isn't beat to shit or is way overpriced.
>>
>>14168056
>cool good stuff. A WRX or an EVO were my initial thoughts, but I didn't if they would make a good project cars for tuning

they do. These cars have been tuned out of their ears for a couple decades now, there's performance shops everywhere that will make them go very fast in a straight line and around a corner if you have the money.
>>
>>14168106
Oh and make sure you get an STi and not a plain WRX if you're going down the Subaru route. The STis come with more resilient drivetrains, so they can take a lot more power before they destroy themselves.
>>
>>14168076
How hard would it be to find a supra in good condition now a days?
>>
>>14168126
Where do you live? Easy in Canada/Australia/Europe, just import a Japanese one. America? You're going to be asked to pay way too much for a good Turbo 6-speed (the only one you want). Steer clear of the supra if youre in the USA.
>>
>>14168116
This times infinity.
>>
>>14168083
I ran a search on 911s literally minutes ago and found several for 20-30k in driveable condition.
>>
>>14168037
>wanted to buy a fast car. Then I thought I'd buy a cheap car and tune the hell out of it, that way I can get a fast car and learn about cars as well.

I own a car that i got for 500$, have about 10K$ worth of parts in it. It will out handle most stock cars in the 150K range. However it gets driven once a month at most, and could never be usable on the street.

There isn't a place where you buy something cheap and have it perform like a million dollar car. Whatever you buy will have a pretty low ceiling on performance before you start compromising comforts, fuel economy, looks, noise levels, etc.
You buy a wrx and install some exhaust for 3K, turbo upgrade for 2K, re flash ecu for 1K, wheels and tires another 2K, coilovers for 5K and then you run out of shit that you can just buy as a bolt on kit.
You then have to get custom. the engine gets taken apart and built to handle more power. then you want wider wheels so fender flares get bolted on. Then you gut the interior.
At this point you have a car that can out handle a Ferrari and porches and its absolutely awful to be inside of for daily use.

"Tuning" is also a buzz word that instantly lets everyone know you dont know what youre talking about.

Decide what looks like fun and build a car to do that. You can change your goals half way through a build and you probably wont lose any money. Being into cars and modifying them is tons of fun. But just wanting to make a cheap car fast is a direct route to ricer town
>>
>>14168290
>Not dding your 1,000+ HP wangan runner
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.