[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>putting premium fuel in a non premium car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 600x375
>putting premium fuel in a non premium car
>>
>>14167231
I just filled up with regular on my JDM high comp motor for the first time today. U lyk dat OP?
>>
>>14167231
i use the highest octane available

but then again my motors internals are FILTHY
>>
File: 1304911347478.jpg (73 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
1304911347478.jpg
73 KB, 1024x577
As someone who has taken "Organic Chemistry for Automotive Engineers" I can tell you all the MOST important thing about choosing octane:

▲ The best octane to use is the lowest octane which never knocks. ▲

Higher octane is harder to combust, therefore by using a higher octane than necessary, you are actually losing a small amount of power and a few dollars [or other currency] each fill-up.
>>
one time I bought a carbureted car that had been sitting for a long time, and it had bad gas in it, it smelled really sour.

I filled the tank with 93 and some fuel stabilizer and let it run all of it out, periodically checking the fuel filter which was right there next to the carb.

I eventually replaced the tank completely because even after getting all the gas out there was crud coming up into the filter.
>>
go look at yelp reviews for any gas station that has racing fuel, people post the stupidest shit like its magic
>>
I drive a car that isn't from 1983 so it can take advantage of higher octane.

Have fun with your lower power and fuel economy to 'save' money, retard.
>>
>>14167427
>The best octane to use is the lowest octane which never knocks

There's a reason higher octanes are "harder to combust", for any engine (mostly performance engines) running high compression It is very important that the fuel doesn't detonate before top dead center.

A lower octane in a high compression engine could prematurely detonate while under pressure, before the spark ignites it, causing misfiring, pinging, and knocking.
>>
>>14167473
Really the guy has taken o-chem and you don't think he knows what octane does?
>>
Ok /o/ i have a 250cc cruiser style motorcycle which i fill up with 98 octane my other option is 91. Which is better? There is only around $2-3 price difference for a full tank.
>>
>>14168647
do you notice a difference?
>>
>>14167231
if i dont run high octane fuel my engine diesels after its shut off
>>
>driving fossil fuel powered internal combustion cars
fucking plebs
>>
>>14168659
>not burning dinosaurs to propel yourself
fucking plebs
>>
>>14168651
Not tried it to be honest always thought higher octane was better for the engine
>>
>>14168725
91 is still pretty high, idk the compression ratio but i think 91 would be enough, may as well try it for one tank and see if you notice a difference
>>
>>14168729
Cheers, ill try next time i fill up.
>>
I put premium gas into my civic to make my engine sound better. You mad?
>>
>>14167231
>not putting 6 bottles of octane booster in your tank for 150+
See you later, shitlords
>>
>not putting in high octane and doing the old italian tune up
>>
Just use what your manufacturer recommends.. fuck some niggers are dumb.

if its a new car, which would likely have higher compression - then the manufacturer will definietly tell you what to use.

if you drive an old shitbox, then just use old shitbox cheap fuel.

if its an old high performance car then you obviously already know its high performance and youd know something about compression and octane ratings.

shit niggers.
>>
>>14167468
Many parts of the world, like Straya for example, were still using leaded fuel at that time so you would need to use 98 on a car that old...
>>
File: 600full-p_j_-o'rourke.jpg (117 KB, 200x334) Image search: [Google]
600full-p_j_-o'rourke.jpg
117 KB, 200x334
>>14168748
You disappointed?
>>
I use 91 or 93 because hi-comp performance carb'd v8.
>>
>>14167231
My shitbox happens to be made and also engineered I think In Germany. Despite saying in the manual it's fine to use E10, I get pinging unless I use 95.
When production moved to Thailand this stopped
>>
File: size68extrafat.gif (2 MB, 240x155) Image search: [Google]
size68extrafat.gif
2 MB, 240x155
>>14169829
>octane having anything to do with the necessity of running leaded fuel in an older car

Holy shit you're dumb.
>>
>>14169829
Leaded fuel is more about preserving the valve seats than anything else. It just had the side effects of increasing RON.
>>
>>14168647
>>14168725
Read your state fueling regulations. Some areas have ethanol requirements for 91. Here it's 10%. I always used 98 in my old bike just because the ethanol would've fucked the fuel lines eventually.
>>
>Not putting diesel in your gas engine.

Why do you faggots hate yourselves so much?
>>
>>14168671
>not riding dinosaurs
fucking plebs
>>
File: DSC_1906.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1906.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Only after I upload my email tune.
>>
>>14169712
Common sense ain't so common
>>
I just filled my econobox up with premium @ 2.12/gal.

You mad?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.