[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Land Rover owners on /o/? I've been reading up on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 2000 Land Rover Discovery ll.png (533 KB, 1032x748) Image search: [Google]
2000 Land Rover Discovery ll.png
533 KB, 1032x748
Any Land Rover owners on /o/?

I've been reading up on Land Rover Discovery's (forums) lately as I have been thinking about purchasing one even though I've heard about how terrible their electronics are.

I live in New England and I'm in need of a car or better yet an SUV.

I just found this and I was wondering if I'm making a mistake. I don't plan on keeping it for long and I can do a lot of the work of myself, also there is a small land rover shop in my town if there is something that went drastically wrong with.

So what do you think br/o/s?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/5379246128.html
>>
>>14158681
Don't bother.
>>
File: effy-34tas.jpg (531 KB, 1365x1986) Image search: [Google]
effy-34tas.jpg
531 KB, 1365x1986
I drive a 2016 Range Rover Sport and have owned lots of Land Rovers.

Don't get the older ones, the electronics on them are terrible. The newer ones are great though, just had a few oddball issues with my last one and this one.

If it isn't your daily driver and you don't mind working on it, they are fun cars though. Like driving a tank.
>>
>>14158687
elaborate?

>>14158712
its going to be daily drive and I dont mind working on it.

Id love to get a 2016 Range Rover but I'm a broke community college student.
>>
>>14158746
Just be ready to give it some attention. Lots of things can get fixed pretty easy. For sure take it for a test drive before buying it. Pay attention to everything.
>>
>>14158814
will do. Thanks.
>>
>>14158681

Theres no way that someone put 100k miles on a 16 year old discovery and in new england at that

seems suspect as hell

also don't be fooled, what you save on the listing will be lost at the gas pump
>>
>>14158681

Jesus Christ, these things were premium cars worth a small fortune when they first came out.

They rock bottomed hard and fast when the 900 people that bought them discovered they were shit.
>>
>>14159175

Not THAT weird to see low miles on these, but that price is suspiciously low. I'd suspect a serious ongoing issue (leaking headgasket) that the seller just wants to dump this thing quick. But yes if the gauge cluster has been swapped or something, giving the lower mileage reading they could be selling a much higher mile vehicle, and hence the low price.
>>
>>14158746
>elaborate?
First, you aren't going off road. So why buy something like this? Second, they're unreliable. The 2000 isn't awful since the 4.0L V8 isn't garbage like the 4.6. It's still Lucas, though, so there's the rub. There's probably a car that fits you much better, tell us what you need.
>>
>>14159285
not really especially given that it's in the city.

the price is suspect though. i would guess some people Lord Trump would like to deport went to town on it and it's a ticking time bomb.
>>
>>14159304
The price isn't suspect. It's a Disco II, it's absolutely worthless. No one wants to buy one.
>>
>>14159298
Well I wouldve liked to start offroading comfortably which is why i was thinking about getting a Land Rover but if you say its not worth it then what should I get instead?
>>
>>14159445
>offroading comfortably
ZJ or WJ Grand Cherokee
>>
>>14159445
How much money do you have?
>>
File: shia.jpg (195 KB, 1582x2048) Image search: [Google]
shia.jpg
195 KB, 1582x2048
>>14158681
>>
>>14158681
Yeah, no.
Thought the same thing for a long time. They're nice when they work, but that's about never percent of the time. Most of the things that go wrong are not terrible or impossible fix, but a major pain.
>>
>>14158681
>10/24 spline front/rear axles
>adequate
Top lel Rover.
>>
>>14160340
>>14160348
whats an alternative to a land rover discovery thats around the same price
>>
>>14160421
Budget?
>>
>>14158681
If you can deal with the shit gas mileage and expensive repairs go for it.
>>
02 disco 2 series owner

piece of shit
>>
>>14160421
Personally I like the 8cyl 4 runners, lots of power if you're looking for that. Or just any older 4 runner. If you're looking for high end the Land Cruiser is a solid piece of truck.
>>
>>14160421
Something made by Toyota.
>>
File: Land Rovers.jpg (140 KB, 800x588) Image search: [Google]
Land Rovers.jpg
140 KB, 800x588
>>14158681
OP, I'm a Land Rover owner and enthusiast, as well as being a mechanic. The Disco II is not a bad truck it's just that most owners don't take care of them for some reason. and the same seems to be true for almost every owner of a luxury vehicle. it a good truck that can be a perfectly reliable daily driver, as long as the maintenance has been kept up on. that price seems unusually low and if you look at it go over it with a fine toothed comb.

most of the people on this board have never owned, driven, or worked on a Discovery and are just being parrots that repeat everything they hear with no actual first hand experience. I have much first hand experience with Land Rovers. pic related
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (185 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
185 KB, 1920x1080
>>14158681
If you get one please keep a fire extinguisher on hand for the safety of yourself and others.
>>
>>14162161
>fire extinguisher on hand for the safety of yourself and others

your acting like that's something that special to Rovers, and that it isn't a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher in any car you have
>>
>>14162146

I owned a 98 disco, aside from replacing the engine and the ECM, it was pretty good. It had little problems here and there, but they were easy fixes. Calipers, AC lines, etc etc.
>>
>>14162210

my families first Land Rover was a '96 Disco. it was a great truck that went off roading many times and rescued many things while doing so, and from what i remember it never got stuck. in many ways I think my dad wishes he never traded it in for the P38 we currently have. not that the P38 is bad, 186k miles and still going strong, just a personal preference to the Discovery.
>>
>>14159557
ugh bye
>>
>have always wanted a Range Rover Sport
>friends and family call me a faggot for liking a girl car
Since when is a Range Rover a girl's car /o/?
>>
>>14162210

>aside from replacing the engine and the ECM
>>
>>14159175
Depends on who owned it. My wife traded in her BMW Z3 when it was 14 years old and had 52K miles on it. Dealer didn't believe it.
>>
I got a 1997 disco. I love the thing to bits but it was my old mans before he kicked the bucket. my electronics are pretty decent for a car this old. rust is my issue. don't know massive amounts about the cars but ive owned it for about 7 years
>>
>Being American
>buying some European shitbox

Do you hate your money this much?

Why not buy a Land Cruiser, or a Bajero, they do the same thing, but are better in every way. Or why not some generic American SUV?
>>
buy a pajero, land cruiser, or suzuki grand vitara (XL7)
>>
>>14163646
>shitsubishi
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 560x420
>>14158681
I shoulda responded to this thread earlier...

Best friend bought a Discovery a few years back. He got it for a great deal because some rich guy's teenage daughter drove it the last 6 months and it needed new bumpers and tail lights from little parking lot accidents because wayyy too much car for this girl. Rich guy bought her a new car and mechanic who took care of the car since new was selling it.

Aside from a couple cracked turn signals, the rest of the Discovery was 9/10. Everything worked great. But within the next year of owning it, lots of big stuff started going wrong. Leaking gaskets all around, heater core, etc.

Older SUVs like that get really expensive when stuff breaks. Big engines, overbuilt drivetrains, lots of electronics. Unless you are willing to shell out lots of $$ to get that fixed, stay away. If you want an SUV that will take some abuse, I would just grab a late 90s/ early 2000s Explorer.
>>
>>14163670
>overbuilt drivetrains
>overbuilt

Explain to someone non-Murrikan what this means.
>>
>>14163702
I'm just saying in an SUV, everything will be bigger than a little shitbox. The alternator is bigger and more expensive, 8 spark plugs instead of 4, brake parts are bigger, and god forbid something goes wrong with a complicated 4WD system.
>>
>>14163748
Your acting like a mechanically shifted transfer case is complicated.
>>
>>14163670
Land Rovers, like Jeeps, are NOT overbuilt. If you want overbuilt you buy Toyota, Mitsubishi, or Nissan Patrols.
>>
>>14160634
>>
>>14163641
>>14163646

i cant find any land cruisers in Connecticut
>>
>>14163641
>>14163660
Stop recommending Pajeros and Land Cruisers to casuals like OP.
>>14165721
Get a 4Runner or RAV-4 or something.
>>
>>14159298
>le Lucas electrical meme
Lucas made in Japan, with Ford wiring. Jaguars of the same Era are notoriously bulletproof.

I say go for it OP.
>>
>>14165771
whats wrongwith Land Cruisers?

are they hard to work on
>>
>>14165863
You're not going off road, you don't need them.
>>
OP here.

How's this land cruiser

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/5385190228.html
>>
>>14165911
>You're not going off road,
you keep telling me that? but id like to go offroading eventually.
>>
>>14165920
You live in the Northeast, there's no off roading to be done.
>>
>>14165938
meme for yourself, there is plenty of offroading to be done here
>>
>>14165913
You tell us you have a 5k budget, yet you keep posting cars under 2.5k? The good Land Cruisers that arent overpriced are the 90s era ones. You can also look for the lexus variant, which in the 90s was the LX450. Its the same truck.
>>
>>14165973
No, there isn't. Do you know people with property? Otherwise the only thing you can do is Rausch Creek, and that requires membership and multiple vehicles in a party.
>>
>>14165974
You aren't getting a decent 80 series for 5k. The 80 series is the most overpriced.
>>
monica kill urself
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.