[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in the market for a new DD. Convince me not to buy a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: DCA_06_2012_Chevy_Volt_4035.jpg (2 MB, 1950x1300) Image search: [Google]
DCA_06_2012_Chevy_Volt_4035.jpg
2 MB, 1950x1300
I'm in the market for a new DD. Convince me not to buy a Chebby Volt.
>>
Just get a Prius or something
>>
>>14158012
Maybe you should convince us why you want it.
>53 electric miles lol
>>
posting in a shitthread
>>
They're pretty decent cars. Also consider the ford fusion hybrid, it is much better all around, especially if you put a decent amount of miles in every day
>>
So what's actually what kills?
Teh Volts or Amperas?
>>
>>14158012
>buying a GM hybrid
>>
The interior is designed by the same people who designed the xbox.
>>
why not? it's a good commuter, way better than a fucking prius
>>
>>14158025

The low EV range is still attractive to people since many people's commutes are less than it, so they're still using little to no gas in their daily commute which probably equates for the majority of their yearly mileage.
>>
>>14158012
Have fun not being able to see shit
>>
>>14158095
He drives a Camaro, he already can't see shit
>>
>>14158092
For a hybrid that range isn't even low. Most volt owners use the engine very rarely.
>>
They're a bit expensive and don't get tax credits like pure EVs.

The interior space is small and it only seats two in the back.

Rear visibility is horrible with out a back up camera.

Side visibility is kind of bad too.

MPG with the engine running is low for a hybrid.

Needs a 240v charger of at least 30 amps to have a decent charge time.

Wiper stalk controls are backwards.

Though if you bought one used and kept most of your daily driving inside the EV range. You could save a fair bit of money once gas prices go back up.
>>
File: 2166329-trans_sanic.png (19 KB, 870x870) Image search: [Google]
2166329-trans_sanic.png
19 KB, 870x870
>>14158020

Why?

>>14158025

Currently my jeep is my DD and is not highway friendly. Gets terribad MPGs as well so road trips are all but out of the question.

My commute is about 5 mins of driving so EV will easily cover than. Town is small so any errands I make will always be on EV. I sometimes drive to Denver (130 miles) or Salt Lake City (390 mi) so the decent MPGs the volt gets on gas (40 mpg, 380 mi range) will help there. If I was only doing road trips I'd look for a Tdi VW, but since I commute daily the idea of using no gas makes me think I'll save more money with the volt without losing the ability to go on road trips like with other EVs. On top of that I know fuck all about diesel engines.

>>14158031

Will do.

>>14158046
>>14158107

You should see my other car.

>>14158251
>They're a bit expensive and don't get tax credits like pure EVs.
I should have stated in the OP that I'll be buying used since my budget is $15k.

>The interior space is small and it only seats two in the back.
Just needs to seat myself and my gf. Backseats will likely be always down. If we need space we have her Subaru Forester.

>Rear visibility is horrible with out a back up camera.
I'm used to that but agree it's annoying.

>Side visibility is kind of bad too.
Fat pillars suck but they're getting bigger on all cars to meet safety standards. I agree that I'd prefer better visibility though.

>MPG with the engine running is low for a hybrid.
Maybe compared to other cars but compared to what I'm used to, 40+ mpg is great.

>Needs a 240v charger of at least 30 amps to have a decent charge time.
Theres no way I'll use an entire EV charge driving around the little town I live in so I dont think that will be a problem as most time spent charging will be overnight for me.

>Wiper stalk controls are backwards.
Wot
>>
>>14158356
You never left out any questions in your exams, right?
>>
>>14158356
Used Volt is probably a great idea, the battery has a long warranty and are fairly cheap to replace (~$3000). The interior is a bit cheesy and it's pretty slow, but the mechanical bits are well regarded for reliability (higher than average infotainment screen complaints).

It's a better car than a Prius for 90% of drivers, but not as spacious or quite so efficient for long freeway hauls.

I'm considering one myself, but I might save another year and pick up a second year Bolt or second gen Volt instead, because hybrids and electrics are kinda also consumer electronics, instead of durable goods, and generational changes are a huge deal.
>>
Isn't the new volt slated to come out soon and be a massive improvement in every facet to the current one? IDK I just heard it once.

If I were still in the market for a DD I'd grab a Prius C and be done with it. I wound up with a money Mazda3 but that extra 20/10mpg city/highway would really help out with the Seattle traffic.

That being said I testdrove all iterations of the Prius, and the Volt. The Volt took three dealerships to go through until I found one that had a single one on a ramp, which wasted more of my time. But I digress, the Prius handling was so bad it actually felt unsafe, and the Volt's wonky interior setup was so awful that I barely remember the testdrive. It can chirp those tires, tho. You're probably not going to get all 50 of those miles full electric, either.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.