[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eufags, how do people handle driving on the autobahn when their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: legs.jpg (38 KB, 639x434) Image search: [Google]
legs.jpg
38 KB, 639x434
Eufags, how do people handle driving on the autobahn when their car is old, small, shit or any combination of those? Even trucks seem to drive flat stick.
>>
Old does not mean slow. Neither does small.

Minimum speed for autobahn travel is 61kph. You drive according to your car's state or ability. There aren't really any cars that go slower than 100kph (all trucks are limited to this), though, while 130 is the general flow.

Barely anyone is stupid enough to go on it with a slower car. Very rarely you see a scooter or someshit. We've got a handful of modified karts running with license plates here. That's about it.
>>
File: muh_autobahn.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
muh_autobahn.webm
3 MB, 960x540
what does "to drive flat stick" mean?
>>
>>14156809
Oh and Germany-surrounding coutries' autobahns are mostly restricted to either 130 or 120. So is...the majority, I think by now, of our autobahn.

Autonazi countries Switzerland and Austria set aside.
>>
It'll involve lots of using the right lane, sticking behind semis and thinking carefully about the situation in your rear view mirrors before attempting overtakes.
>>
>>14156809
>>14156821
So I guess driving at around 130-150km/h would be fine if you didn't venture into the overtake lane?

>>14156820
Foot to the floor, as fast as possible. not sure where that term came from, maybe aviation where throttle is controlled by a stick?
>>
>>14156828
>and thinking carefully about the situation in your rear view mirrors before attempting overtakes.

Sadly that's become a rare thing.
>>
>>14156834
130-150 kph is the speed most people will be travelling on the Autobahn, it's perfectly normal. I thought you were talking about REALLY slow cars like Twingos and Smarts.
>>
>>14156834
>So I guess driving at around 130-150km/h would be fine if you didn't venture into the overtake lane?

You can go there at 150 easy. Just move over (or don't go there in the first place) if you see someone approaching fast.
However, most people find it difficult to judge if someone approaches fast. Especially those who have no experience going fast themselves, further making it difficult to compare/judge speeds.
>>
>>14156843
Even those two have very little problem staying around 130. That's what they've been designed around.
>>
>>14156828
>>14156821
>>14156834
2bh it depends on the time you're on the autobahn. On weekdays after 10 pm you can go 180 km/h everywhere, while at 7 in the morning you will be happy if you can reach 40 km/h.
even if most parts are limited, there are no controls on your speed on the Autobahn, so you can go as fast as you can everywhere.

t. real German Autobahn user.
>>
>>14156843
I just ask because my first car was a 1990 holden astra and on an open australian highway it would do 150 and no more, that was flat out and taking forever to get up to speed. Though I only ever did it on outback roads when my car was loaded with 4 other people and a bunch of shit for a road trip. So I assume it could add some speed if empty.
>>
>>14156853
>while at 7 in the morning you will be happy if you can reach 40 km/h
Serves you right for living in the fucking Ruhrpott.
>even if most parts are limited
That's wrong, only 35% of it are limited.
>there are no controls on your speed on the Autobahn
That's also wrong, police can and regularly will put up temporary cameras in low speed limit zones such as interchanges and construction zones. The one speeding advice that is actually useful is that if you stay within 20 kph over the speed limit, your ticket will never cost more than 30€. 20 kph over the limit is the magical threshold for cheap tickets and no points on your license in Germany.
>>
>>14156853
>there are no controls on your speed on the Autobahn

Please don't bait people into speed traps. They do exist, as well as mobile controls and unmarked vehicles in normal traffic.
Obviously not everywhere, but they're around.
>>
>>14156877
>>14156876
my bad, I live in NRW our police is busy with other shit :^)

I only know of one stationary speed trap, and never actually saw them checking on the side of the autobahn for speeders.
>>
Even older cars from the 80s, if well maintained, will do 130-150 comfortably. The trade off is in safety features.

Keep in mind that in the West, our speed limits were set during the 60s and 70s with drum brakes and shit tyres in mind. Our cars now go faster, stop quicker thanks to ABS and are safer with airbags and crumple zones, yet we're still doing the same old speed limit.

It's ironic that one of the most controlling countries on earth, Germany, lets people do more efficient speeds.
>>
>>14156950
To be fair it could be a furl economy thing. By letting everyone gear for 60-70 mph we can have super long overdrive gears for good mpg.
>>
>>14156985
Are EU cars really geared to do 150+ regularly? I understood most cars got the best fuel efficency around 110-110km/h.
>>
>>14157273
A few times I've been doing 780km on one fuel tank with my S62 at a steady 160kph all the way. That's about 24mpg. Pretty good, really. It really is all about throttle control.
Once even better, but that was horrible. Fuck you, Netherlands and Belgium.
>>
>>14156796
As said before, most cars will hit 130-150kph no problem, even small cars.
What also helps is that since inspections are quite strict, most of the cars are still in quite good shape. Even people that don't care about cars and use them only for transport are forced to maintain their shit because they won't pass the inspection otherwise.
>>
>>14156796
As long as your car can get up to 95 km/h (55 mph) you're gonna be just fine on the Autobahn.
You'll be in the right lane with the semis and not disturb anyone.

If you can't manage 90, stay the fuck away.
>>
>>14156897
One of the few advantages of the refugee crisis.
I haven't seen actual cops controlling speed in a long time. They've got other things to do.
>>
Not everyone here drives pedal-to-the-metal here. Let's say that about 60% of non-truck autobahn users drive way under 130kph while 35% are between 130kph and 180kph most of the time they're allowed to and 5% - me included - love to drive as fast as their car allows it.
>>
I believe that having no speed limit is some kind of national anger management.
Germans can live out their aggressions in traffic, so they can be nice people otherwise.
I strongly believe that a speed limit would increase the crime rate.
>>
>>14157804
Obv., since speeding delicts would increase lol
>>
>>14157804
We'll see soon enough. It's inevitably coming.
>>
>>14157810
Speeding isn't a crime.
>>
>>14157841
Considering they'll take away your license for too high speeds...might as well be jailed.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.