[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello! happy new years! i havnt really made many posts here,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: buick1.jpg (61 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
buick1.jpg
61 KB, 640x478
hello! happy new years! i havnt really made many posts here, but i do enjoy browsing, i recently bought an old skylark cheap with the hopes of getting it on the road, i was wondering if anyone could throw some ideas at me?

i saw the car running pretty good 3 weeks ago before i towed it home, it ran bone dry outa gas idling in buddies driveway. i towed it home without closer inspection, apon getting it home, i fucked up and tried to start it up on the tow dolly, on a steep angle, i flooded the back three cylinders with gas and oil, turns out the sump was way over full from gas, must have been flooding out before too,

i cleared the back three cylinders of oil and fuel, and got all new plugs

all 5 cylinders run and fire normaly, but the back left cylinder refuses to fire or even try,

i checked the spark plug, and its sparking perfectly, after idling and missing for 5 minutes i pull the plug and it is perfectly clean, no burn, no wet oil, no fuel, just shiny clean metal?

i checked compression and it seems to be just fine, so what could be up?

i dont know too much about engines, so i was hoping someone could throw me some ideas of what to check next?

thanks in advance guys! hope the new year treats you well.
>>
Fuel injection or carb?
>>
File: skylarkmanual.jpg (58 KB, 258x341) Image search: [Google]
skylarkmanual.jpg
58 KB, 258x341
I'd get one of these to help. There's probably two or three thousand Skylarks left from your model year so I would hoard parts. Whatever you do, don't scrap or crush it.
>>
did u check the chuff chuff injectors
>>
>>14150018
>turns out the sump was way over full from gas
If there's gas in your oil on a carbureted GM car, it means the fuel pump diaphragm has ruptured and is pumping gas into the crankcase instead of to the carburetor.

If you're getting fuel, spark and compression, something else is wrong. These early X-car v6's sometimes wore one or more cam lobes flat; that might be your issue. Are you 100% positive it was running on all 6 when you bought it?
>>
the 2.8 is just gonna crap out anyway

should of searched for a newer skylark with 3.3
>>
>>14152059
when i was 15 years old i had an 84 skylark and i beat the shit out of it for 4 years, put 200000kms on the engine not once had a problem, im sure it will be reliable
>>
>>14152054
no, im not, i seen it running, and i hopped in and gave it some gas, it revved up pretty smooth, then died, and wouldnt start, the guy i bought it from said it ran out of gas, the gauge was bellow e, so i assumed that was it, i then towed it home next week,

if a cam lobe wore flat, with only 57000kms on it, would i hear anything? any grinding? i dont hear any chatter, tapping or any sound at all,

i guess i will pull the valve cover and check to see if the valves all move,

how extensive is replacing my camshaft?
>>
and is it possible for just the intake valve/lobe to wear on the camshaft but every other one works fine,? wouldnt the others be worn too and wouldnt i hear chatter or clicking as the worn lobe makes contact with the pushrod?
>>
>>14151360
well i paid 500 for the car and ive got about 100 sunk into it already, got almost everything done aside from getting the engine running smooth,

i really dont plan to scrap or crush it, this car is in amazing shape and beautiful, i cant wait to daily drive it,
>>
File: buick 3.jpg (70 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
buick 3.jpg
70 KB, 640x478
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.