[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if you own your car, are you legally able to adjust the automatic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 56457574.jpg (266 KB, 875x651) Image search: [Google]
56457574.jpg
266 KB, 875x651
if you own your car, are you legally able to adjust the automatic gear ratio shifts?

mostly to make them shorter

how hard and expensive is it to do that yourself?
>>
>>14149683
Swap out the final drive in your differential. Done.
>>
Of course you are. You'll need a different gearbox.
>>
>legally able to
why the fuck WOULDN'T you be legally able to? If you are referring to shift times, putting a shift kit on an auto trans will make it feel rougher but make shift times shorter and actually extend your transmission life as well. If you are referring to changing the ratios, you'd need to go through the internals of the gearbox, and you're kind of be fucked unless you were to either find aftermarket sets or have your own machined.
>>
>>14149683
>gear ratio shifts?
????
Yes B&M makes shift kits and a "TransPack". So do some other companies.
>>
>>14149692

>MUH ITS MY CAR WHO CARS IF BLACK SMOKE IS COMIN OUT OR THE BUMPER IS HELD ON BY A STRING
>MUH RITES!
>>
>>14149698
Wrong thread ya dingus.
>>
If you're trying to adjust all them them up to be longer or shorter, as said above, you can just swap out the final drive in the differential. This will cost between 100-1,000 for most cars.

Changing the tire diameter can have a large effect as well. But again, this effects all the gears.

If you're talking about changing individual gear ratios in an automatic. There are a few companies that sell transmissions with 2-3 options of ratios, these are primarily for drag racing and are the most common transmissions for that, th350, c4, c6,etc.
No idea on the cost, but probably 3k and up.

Changing individual gears on manual transmissions is much easier.
>>
>>14149714
>Changing individual gears on manual transmissions is much easier.

hurp durp
>>
>>14149698
No, really, why wouldn't you be able to modify your transmission? Either it works and its fine or it doesn't work and the car doesn't move.
>>
>>14149698
Obnoxious cunts like you make me sweat
>>
You can tell the Aussies were on when someone is asking whether it's legal to do a rather routine mod. I don't know how your car culture survives in that police state having to have engineers complete or certify almost any mod.
>>
Change the gearing in your differential, not your transmission. Truck and Jeep guys have been doing this for ages, it is pretty common practice when they get larger tires.
>>
>>14149688
Doesn't actually make the shifts any closer ratio, just makes it take off quicker and shift sooner.

Your RPM is still dropping the exact same amount from one gear to the next.

>>14149689
The one and only correct answer.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.