[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oil looks like diarrhea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 4L_pAttc14u.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_pAttc14u.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
So I went to change the oil in a old truck and this brown goo came out. It's all the way up the dip stick and at the oil cap and around a few hoses. How do I get rid of it?
>>
>>14141519
Forgot to mention water is coming out with it also
>>
Most likely blown gasket.
>>
>>14141564
How hard of a fix is that?
>>
File: wipey wipey.jpg (132 KB, 660x866) Image search: [Google]
wipey wipey.jpg
132 KB, 660x866
>>14141519
that looks like my toilet after popeye'e
>>
>>14141578
It's a $10 part!
>>
>>14141578

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KVQq9vKA
>>
>>14141578
You probably won't be able to do it yourself if you're asking. All I can say ia that it can be quite expensive.
>>
File: 1410633004470.jpg (102 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
1410633004470.jpg
102 KB, 682x600
>>14141586
>>
>>14141587
That's actually pretty neat. Didn't know they had testers like that.
>>
>>14141598

I fixed a blown head by pulling the head. Throwing on a $18 head gasket after sanding the head clean with a block sander and shaving foam in the oil passages to keep the sanding material out.

Running 2 years later so it worked. Took me about 12 hours total.
>>
>>14141718
12 hours, sounds like a pretty slow job
i think on a subaru it should be faster.
>>
>>14141718
Did you sand the block too?
>>
>>14141730

That time frame includes everyrhing related. I had no reference what I was doing and I got all the tools afterwards. It is hard to find a standing block in this country. That alone soaked up an hour. And I had to make a 10mm hex key for the head bolts from 5/8" rebar which was another 15, then I probably wasted an hour to find the empty bolt hole where the stray 14mm bolt I have still left over belonged.

The Subaru. Just getting the cam covers off a turbo forester is ridiculous so I can't imagine what it would be like trying to torque the heads down.

>>14142393

I did.
>>
>>14141578
Ask a toyotafag
>>
>>14141578
ur fugged
>>
>>14141730

It pays to take the time to do a job right if you've got the time to take. Unless it's someone elses car and there's a paycheck in it for you, why rush?
>>
>>14143179

Doing it "right" I would have done an engine swap seeing as there was a crack in cylinder no.3

So my intention was to just bolt it back together and run it on tap water until it shits itself. No oil changes since the head went on because after missing 4 oil changes, water pump, auxillary gaskets and so on I can now afford a junkyard engine but instead but she is still chugging and putting down good power.
>>
>>14143245

Can you get it resleeved? Junkyard and previously enjoyed import engines are scary. Never know what you're gonna get. That's pretty impressive it's gone for two years like that. The suspense would kill me.
>>
>>14143397

I should have taken a picture. The crack (more like fissure) goes through the steel sleeve and penetrates half way through the aluminium deck towards the nearest oil drain. It is on the upper 1/4 of the cylinder bore.

G16A 16v (although A means 8valve in most markets it seems to just mean pre-1996 in Japan)

As for junkyard engines we have thousands of escudos/trackers/sidekick/vitara on this island. Doesn't sound like much but out of a total of 30,000 cars, trucks and heavy equipment it is the most popular 4x4. So any traffic collision is likely to have a G16 with my name on it. I just have to talk to a couple police officers, get the details of the incident and speak to the owners and I am sorted.

What is interesting is that this shed of a vehicle that I beat on and treat like a dump truck has never not started and never had to be towed and I can depend on for my personal business. But the two brand new (relatively) fucking Kia's my family business has have been in the shop at least 8 times each for failures.
>>
What vehicle?

Lots of GMs had shitty intake manifold gaskets that would turn to mush and allow coolant to be sucked into the block and cylinder

That would be nothing compared to a blown headgasket
>>
As for a blown head, some nigger on youtube has a video about sanding down your head by laying down a series of sandpaper grits on a perfectly flat surface such as a big pane of glass (check with a straight edge) and then shows you how to get clearances back to factory. You'll need feeler gauges and a good straight edge.

Unless you can afford to take it to a machinist, then by all means
>>
It might not be a blown headgasket, but it is definitely coolant contamination.

Could be caused by anything from a leaky manifold gasket, to a blown head gasket, to a cracked block/head. Only a teardown will tell you the source for sure.

Now that it's been driven with water in the oil, it's possible that the bearings or other internal components are kill; safer to swap engine than actually fix it.
>>
>>14143600
to be honest family, if it's just an intake gasket it's worth the <$30 part and a weekend to find out.

You won't hurt the engines feelings if it spins a bearing 500 miles down the road.
>>
>>14141578
If you have to ask, take it to a mechanic
>>
>>14141519

>diarrhea

I think you mean milkshake. In the auto repair world the coolant in oil that is most often produced from a blown head gasket is referred to as milk shake.
>>
repost from qddtot:

will having a misfitting/broken air filter cause my engine to eat moisture from the air (it's been raining for weeks) and cause oil emulsion in my dipstick tube?I have a '96 Volvo 850 turbo; the hash mark is still oil but the tip and the rest of the dipstick are all covered in milkshake. No milkshake inside the valve cover or on the oil cap, coolant looks fine, level has been consistent, just the dipstick shaft and tip...
>inb4 that's gay
>inb4 u blew your head gasket dingus
is possibru but i doubt it the car isn't smoking more than a Volvo should
>inb4 u turbo's leaking oil and u live in a fog doofus
this is probable, but should i be worried about a little emulsion or should i be doing compression tests to make sure my shizzle ain't all frizzl'd??
>>
File: 20150108_174847.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150108_174847.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Dont be scared OP. Head gaskets really arent super hard. Biggest thing is put it back together the way it came apart. Vacuum lines get tape tags with numbers and where they go gets a tape tag with the same number as what came off. Make sure the head bolts dont need replaced when you put it back on. Changed a head gasket on a 2.5l turbo dodge in two days by myself.
>>
Could be moisture, blown head gasket, coolant leaking through intake. Do an oil change and see if it repeats in a week or two.
>>
>>14141578
I have found that I can literally do anything to a car following youtube vids and with the proper equipment. No joke. Huge pain in the ass though.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.