[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you buy a sub-100 HP Sidekick? Is that safe for a first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: golfcart.jpg (21 KB, 300x189) Image search: [Google]
golfcart.jpg
21 KB, 300x189
Would you buy a sub-100 HP Sidekick? Is that safe for a first manual vehicle? I don't drive particularly fast in my automatic. Safe and steady.
>>
>>14138141
Corolla
>at least 125 HP
>>
>>14138141
I have the 16 valve version tracker, which I think is over 100hp but not by much. Plenty of torque but don't expect to bust 85mph even floorboarded in 5th. It's pretty happy around 65-70mph on the highway though.

The thing is a cracker box if you're talking about safety. It's very light and rides high. But it's reliable, good on gas, cheap to work on, will go just about anywhere a big jeep can go etc. It's pretty fun, but not safe.
>>
>>14138416
>but not safe
what would you suggest under $5k?
>>
>>14138425
Dunno, I love the Sidekick/Tracker and don't put the safety of the design real high on my priority list. Give me those big side windows and tall cab over stuff like side airbags any day.
>>
>>14138467
cool. cos i'm going to look at one to learn on. also decent MPGs
>>
>>14138484
Here's a list of stuff that breaks/needs fixing on pretty much all of them

>replace clutch at around 100k-150k miles
>timing chain cover will start leaking oil around 100k miles
>paper cone speakers
>speedometer dies pretty commonly in the 96-98 around 130k miles
>rust on rocker panels if in a northern area, the rest of the undercarriage is usually coated pretty well

Nothing really major, but you know what to look for.
>>
>>14138502
Thanks! If it doesn't ride well, I'll probably look for a Corolla or RAV4.
>>
>>14138141
these sidekicks/trackers are essentially street legal quads, its great, my buddy has one and loves it.
>>
>>14138416

G16B engines make no more than 95 HP.

OP it is not going to be a fast highway cruiser and it is more at home driven on rough logging trails.

If you want anything with some remote sense of road going prowess a first gen tracker/escudo/vitara/sidekick is not for you.

Source: I own one.

Ask me anything
>>
These things are a piece of shit. When I sold mine, the driver side door fell off in the lady's hands.

I hope you like warped heads because it cools inadequately less than 30 mph
>>
>>14138502

The 1.6 l engines (g16) which are by far the most popular don't have timing chains. They have belts
>>
>>14138531

If you are going down the rav4 route you are a cuck. Not great off road not great on road. At least with the tracker, you have better off road prowess and with the corolla you have better on road prowess.
>>
>>14139413
This.
>Rav 4
>anything other than a Corolla with a shit center of gravity
>>
>>14139413
i imagined it might be better for moving band equipment.
>>14139457
true
>>
>>14139406
>I hope you like warped heads because it cools inadequately less than 30 mph
feels bad now
>>
>>14139406
>total bullshit
>>
>>14140177
The guy is making that up. I've never even seen one go past halfway on the temp gauge. But then he sounds like he had some salt-rotted rustbucket and blamed that on the car.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.