[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any diesel technicians/mechanics out there? Is working on these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Any diesel technicians/mechanics out there? Is working on these engines any more difficult that traditional gasoline engines? And is the pay a bit higher?
>>
If you are doing basic preventative. Then it is easier. They design them for most things to be readily accessible . If you are doing failure repairs. It is a pain in the ass. Because everything weighs 4-8 times as much.
>>
>>14137977
I second.
Once you're good at it, you can charge a whole fuckton more for the work though.
>>
>>14137910
Can't go wrong with a Beterpilk I tell you what
>>
>>14137910
like others have said the layout on large format engines is much better than the petrol equivalent, small high speed diesels are more or less the same as petrol's but you wont really be working on those much. It's mostly trucks and commercial vehicles that need repairs and they are still mostly mechanical systems. mechanical systems just need cleaning 90% of the time when the issue is fueling so its a piss easy job you just need to be clean and be able to read a diagram. another common task is rebuilding mechanicals for resale as they need decarbonizing after 500,000 miles, that's probably the biggest job since it's a full engine overhaul but you can charge out the ass for it.

the other common job if you end up in a place that does modern common rail systems is diagnosing emissions issues. again most of the time it's just fueling issues due to clogged filters, worst case for the customer in these situations is they've driven it for so long with the problem that the retardedly over priced fuel pump gets damaged and you have to explain to the customer it's going to cost half the value of the engine to repair a starting or idle issue. CRD requires you know a fair bit of electronics too since the entire system is fly by wire. this is a great position to be in if you want shekels fast as you can pretty much charge whatever you want.
>>
>>14137910
Easier and the pay is much higher and usually hourly instead of flat rate.

I fucking love it.
>>
Not OP but signing up for community college classes for an AAS in Diesel Technology next fall, since I'll be eligible for full financial aid.

Is this a good idea? Y/N

Should I get my CDL in the meantime?
>>
>>14140066
bump
>>
>>14140066
>>14140318

If you're getting a job as a diesel mech a lot of shops will want you to have your CDL.

Personally I think diesel is much better than regular car repair, I have a buddy that's in an automotive program at my local CC and I'm trying to talk him into the diesel program instead after hearing all the dealership/car mechanic horror stories.

Also no need to bump on /o/ it's a slow board.
>>
>>14140066
My company offers $2/hr more just to have a cdl. I've been here 5 months and they have already sent me to a few expenses paid dealership schools which makes for a pretty nice vacation really.
>>
>>14140366
Yeah I was originally gonna go for automotive but realized much better diesel is in just about every way.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.