[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any z32 owners lurking who may be able to give some quick help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: 18238918273192.png (544 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
18238918273192.png
544 KB, 1280x720
Any z32 owners lurking who may be able to give some quick help? (or anyone who's diagnosed a similar issue)

Working on a buddies 94 300zx with the bose package, his speakers are (in cold weather) clicking on and off intermittently, once the interior is warmed up they come back on and work fine usually.

Thus far all ive done is pulled the passenger kick panel and swapped the audio relay plug into the blower relay (verified they were the same before doing so) and no dice; blower worked fine on said relay.

This is leading me to believe its not an issue with the relay.

Anyone have any useful images or a good first step of where to be looking? Are there other relays or fuses i should be checking for this? I've got my multimeter and an experienced sailors vocabulary on standby for trying to figure out whats wrong here.

Car is /completely/ stock so no hidden viper alarm bullshit.
Verified:
Radio fuse is good
Relay is most likely not the culprit (typing this gave me a quick idea though)
none of the visible wires are broken or de-plugged (have the dash opened where the radio mounts)
>>
>>14136873
Z32 owner, sorry I will not be any help on this subject however. I know a lot of people (myself included) had to put in new speakers because the old Bose are finally kicking the bucket. I will try to do some searching and get back to you.
>>
>>14137016
Thanks buddy.

"worst" comes to worst we'll just bite the bullet and go ham on tearing out all the pre-amps and putting in a less over-engineered sound system, but it'll be nice to have working speakers for a while longer.
>>
Had the Bose in my Z32, they kicked it in the winter of 2013 after it was painted.

It seems like a complicated system though, so that could be one of the factors.
>>
>>14137031
I just had some cheap pioneers thrown in and they are fine IMO. What I am reading online is that if it is temperature dependent it us probably something like this:
" There's a bad solder joint or cracked copper trace. When it is cold, the metal contracts and breaks contact. This is known as an "open." When it warms up a little, the metal expands and makes contact.
One of the tricks in electronic repair when looking for intermittent problems is to spray parts of the board with cold spray until it stops working. This is done to find where the bad solder joint is."
Not sure how true it is but saw similar posts on multiple car forums.
>>
File: 184382942.jpg (656 KB, 800x1132) Image search: [Google]
184382942.jpg
656 KB, 800x1132
>>14137058
You're helping more than you may think here kek.

Now I know I presumably want to use my multimeters pokeybits and try to find where we've got an open.
>>
Does the clicking sound like when you manually turn off the radio (pushing in the volume knob)? That might be a loose contact point.
>>
>>14137094
I try to help Z owners on here when I see them. I have never seen the stock system before and the previous owner rigged a Kenwood head unit.
>>
>>14137058
>There's a bad solder joint or cracked copper trace
+1
>>
File: Headunitwiring.jpg (103 KB, 520x900) Image search: [Google]
Headunitwiring.jpg
103 KB, 520x900
Okay. We tested the blue wire at the audio relay, which is from fuse #1 to relay; we've got a bit over 12v.

Backprobed the orange wire that runs from the headunit to the relay we had no voltage with the headunit powered on. Tested end to end on orange and do not have an open circuit; nor a short to ground.

On the pictured "diagram" there are grey wires on either plug labeled joint connection; could anyone explain what that means? I feel we may need to test either resistance or for a voltage value at these wires?

Currently jumped ahead a bit and took the headunit out and apart in hopes of finding a visibly fuckered connection/solder joint.
>>
>Having music in you car

Fuking pleb
>>
not OP but I have a z32 I bought a month or two ago too.

Does anyone else get clicking coming from their glovebox when they turn on the A/C?
>>
>>14138491
thats the blower, just close the vents, and spray sum lub into the cabin air filter side...after the cabin air filter
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-13-20-46-49.png (845 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-13-20-46-49.png
845 KB, 720x1280
Welp. Anyone with access to wiring diagrams able to find out where ground g201 is located? Not sure if my google fu is failing me but sadly my alldata hookup got his thing revoked so I cant find it.
>>
>>14138516
FSM. You can change the year in the url to match yours.
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/300zx/1996/el.pdf
>>
>>14138632
Heh. Literally remembered to look up an fsm about 30seconds ago and felt so dumb for us not realizing nico would have the fsm.
>>
File: 2015-12-30 06.24.59.png (77 KB, 718x560) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-30 06.24.59.png
77 KB, 718x560
Anyone know what in the fuck these symbols mean?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.