[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Your next car may not have a spare tire why are they doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 21
File: spare.jpg (58 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
spare.jpg
58 KB, 650x366
>Your next car may not have a spare tire
why are they doing this shit
>>
>>14136773
Weight reduction, saving money
Do they really need a reason just buy your own if you really want one
>>
>>14136773
jews
henry ford warned us about them
>>
>>14136773
>As if people actually check their owners manual.
>>
>>14136773
Essentially, jewing.
Saves money on the actual tire (and jack), and due to the lower weight they can afford to use shittier steel to use up that 'free' 30kg.

The only time no spare is acceptable is on sports cars, and even then the FD3S managed to weigh nothing while carrying that awesome alloy space saver thing.
>>
>>14136784
Like most new cars, they don't even make room for a spare.
>>
>>14136826
It's really not necessary
Most new cars have run flats
That should take you as far as you need to go to change them
It's really unnecessary
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 330x245) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 330x245
>>14136799
>>14136824

Sup /pol/
>>
>>14136835
>driving on run flats
No goddamn thanks
>>
>>14136835
>Tire shops don't close at night
>I can't wander more than 50mi from civilization
>Tires can't suffer catastrophic failure
Your mind is a magical place, huh?
>>
fucking kikes

most people dont want to buy motherfucking runflats
>>
>>14136835
Run flats are fucking trash and the first thing anybody with any sense does upon getting a new car is drive out of the lot and then directly to the nearest tyre shop to fix that problem (along with a wheel alignment because dealerships are fucking hopeless)
>>
they're actually more dangerous because people just use their spare, think it's fine to go 80mph down the highway and cause pileups. plus, now they can jew you out of that sweet AAA.
>>
Mine was an option. It came with plastic storage racks that fit into the well (pretty cool), an inflator, and sealant kit. I bought the temp spare and it came with the jack and tools so now I guess I have both.

I haven't had a car that fit a full size spare except for pickups, although one car I just kept a full size in the trunk anyway since I had five matching wheels. It almost fit into the tire well.
>>
>>14136855
>not having a full size spare
Children today will never understand
>>
Run flats are garbage.

I'd rather not get a spare with my car and dealer installed full size spares usually have premium pricing. Last time I bought a new Mazda 3 I just ordered a stock wheel from eBay and made my own for 1/2 what the dealer wanted to charge.
>>
>>14136867
If you weren't a spack you would've bought a steel wheel of the correct fitment and a used tyre for 1/10th what they wanted to charge.
>>
There are a few valid reasons, many that would be unpopular here to be sure:

>Most drivers have a cell phone with them, and cellular coverage has matured to the point that you can rely on it from most roadways.
>If the driver does not have a cell phone, someone else probably does.
>New car owners often have full coverage insurance, and that usually covers towing and encourages owners to get a new tire sooner instead of endangering others flying down the interstate at 80 MPH on a spare. Otherwise, towing is a minor expense by comparison.
>It is dangerous to replace your flat on a roadside (car falls off jack, bad driver runs you over, etc.)
>It is dangerous to replace your flat on your own if you don't know what you're doing.

Last two points being most concerning. Lots of people buy a new car either because its flashy or it "just werks." That encompasses lots of car-tarded owners who probably wouldn't safely be able to change a tire. The smart ones might flag someone to help them. The retards might get it right, or not. Endangering other drivers if they fuck it up and the spare flies off.

I'm alright with this change. Used market buyers can just invest in a small spare to keep in their trunk if its a problem later on.
>>
>>14136963
Stop buying the jewish bullshit you stock animal. The only reason there are no more spares is because it saves the manufacturer money, plain and simple. That and CAFE standards. The consumer literally has nothing to lose by having a spare they may or may not use. The mfg has everything to gain by omitting it. Even better if they can charge you extra for it and homologate their cars without the extra weight to appease the global warming fearing lefties.

I personally couldn't care less but dear lord you disgust me anon, whether or not you are playing devil's advocate.
>>
>>14136963
I'd be more alright if we simply stop retards from driving.

If you don't know how a car works (to the point of not being able to change a tyre or checking oil levels) why the fuck are you operating one

I don't know how a submarine works, i'm not about to go out and pilot that shit
>>
>>14136989

Of course it saves them money, but think about it. How many road side deaths or injuries could be avoided by encouraging people to stay put in their cars until roadside assistance, police, etc. show up?

The insurance companies all make a killing off of full coverage plans for new vehicles. What's the problem with exercising your benefits if you have them? And you should have them for roadside coverage.

It's all relative. Jews are gonna jew, but its hardly that big of a deal considering how technology has caught up to fill that gap.

>>14137001

Some people are comfortable paying others to maintain their shit, and that's perfectly reasonable as long as they do it regularly. If more people did and kept a paper trail it'd make the used car market better. So many people selling cars claiming to have had 'xyz' maintenance done, but often no receipts. Its worse when they do it on their own, and even shittier when they get butthurt because they can't prove to you on paper their maintenance was actually performed.
>>
>>14137046
>How many road side deaths or injuries could be avoided by encouraging people to stay put in their cars until roadside assistance, police, etc. show up?
Very few. That type of shit just doesn't happen anon. Besides most the time it is a fucking drunk driver who kills the people changing their tire not the disabled motorist accidentally entering the right of way of traffic.
>Get flat tire
>Not on urban highway cuz American
>Run flat in fact runs flat
>Blizzard
>Die
It is a far bigger threat to public safety to omit a life saving device like a spare tire than to restrict the choice of the individual in fear of their "safety" or lack of competence.

Its all bullshit and it is all money and if you honestly believe what you said may god have mercy on your soul. Besides, nearly everyone replaces their run flats with regular tires first chance because handling, comfort, road noise, and cost so now we have people without run flats and no spare. We are worse off than before by any reasonable metric.
>>
>>14136773

My bimmer doesn't have a spare, and I go back and forth on whether that's really a bad thing.

Unless you are driving on really shitty roads, or through construction sites, its pretty rare to get a puncture flat, and if you keep your tires inflated and replace them when they are worn, you shouldn't have any other flats.

I think most people have roadside assistance of some type (either AAA or through cellphone or through car manufacturer) so on the super-rare occasion of getting a flat, you could just get it towed to a tire place or back to your house.

Cars without spares also come with run-flats so the chance of getting stranded is pretty low.
>>
>>14136879

If I need to run a spare I'd rather have a matching wheel and tire. I rotate my full size spare in and out of the 4 wheels/tires on the car as well.
>>
>>14137085
>Most of the time it is a fucking drunk driver who kills the people changing their tire not disabled motorist accidentally entering the right of way of traffic

And where did I even imply the latter? I said its safer for that person changing their tire to stay put in the car and get someone else either tow your shit off or do it right unless you actually know what you're doing and willing to take the risk.

I live in Northern Michigan. Not just on the interstate (even though I-75, in fact, is the only interstate in my neck of the state and is hours away), but most state roadways are ripe for people to fuck up your shit.

>Be a tween/incompetent driver
>Try to dodge someone fixing their flat
>Catch a bit of ice in the median
>Spin out
>Fuck your shit up

>Be impaired
>Veer off the road towards the spinning lights
>Kill a bitch

Those happen quite often up here. Even on the interstate this is still a major risk of trying to change a flat on your own. And if you _are_ on the interstate, you almost certainly have cellular coverage. Get towed or get someone to fix your shit roadside so you don't have to.

Or you can be the stubborn S.O.B. that can't accept change and do it yourself, and be in the minority of people who will bother to check for a spare and actually buy one because it was missing. Maybe you'll actually check the spare's tire pressure too. Since most people don't ever bother.
>>
File: 1349237224096.jpg (353 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1349237224096.jpg
353 KB, 533x800
>>14136799
>>
>>14137158
For what purpose?

New tyre every 5 years so it doesn't get too old, inflate to 50psi so you don't need to reinflate it too often and you're all set to run it on a non-drive axle for an extended period or a driven for a short one
>>
>>14137187
>I live in a densely populated mid western state
>I can't fathom how the majority of the nation is unlike my locale
>all interstates have cell coverage lol
If the car was off the road there would be nothing to dodge in the first place.
The flashing lights will be on the tow truck.

You're either a shill for the run flat industry or you are one of those delusional lefties who think all change is proper and correct. I swear to god you can't be more than 20 years old. Either way I hope you get a flat on a gravel road 51 miles outside of town with no cell phone coverage and you think of the progress and social justice you helped propagate for the sheister auto companies while you freeze to death. Absolutely absurd the whole lot of you. I'd bet my left nut you've never even gotten a flat tire.
>>
>>14137245

m8 you may be right or wrong but you don't have to lay into anon like that. He isn't even insulting you, and he's merely offering the rationale that some folks might have about the situation.
>>
>>14137245
>freeze to death
Or you could not be a retard and drive on the rim.

>$150 wheel
vs
>Freezing to death
>>
>>14137213

Because the spare is a wear item no matter if you use it or not. I always run a full size spare. Why would I waste the tire by not using it? I rotate the spare in and out every oil change.
>>
>>14137245

>Densly populated
>Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Right....

Well, I'm sorry for not being more specific.

>Flashing lights will be on the tow truck

Assuming a tow truck was called for and the driver isn't some dingus that tries to give the pedestrian half the road to go about their business.

I'd think most people with no cell coverage would be wise enough to weigh the risks of not having a spare or getting help. Especially up here where distances between population centers are measured in hours.

>But you said--

Since cell coverage being shit might be relevant where they live, too, this would be less likely overlooked and so having a spare would likely be considered. Of course, this is an assumption, but an assumption I'm familiar with since many where I live run into it regularly.

But since most people aren't in the middle of nowhere, this is not relevant for most drivers. Not that you have to conform.
>>
>>14137281
Because for a mazda 3 you can get a 15" steelie, and a used tyre of 1-2 years old would cost less than the oil you use in the service.
>>
>tfw current car doesn't have one
>>
>>14137281
>>14137213

Also, basically all passenger car tires expire at about 5 years. They just aren't designed to be used for more than 5 years after the date they were made which is stamped on the side. Sometimes I get new tires that have been in the warehouse for a bit. Seen some that were just 2 weeks shy of a year old when I got them. Personally, I don't like to use tires for much more than 3 years after the manufacture date.
>>
>>14137301

A, why would I want a 1-2 year old tire that's only useful for 1-2 more years regardless of mileage or use. A spare tire goes bad just sitting in your trunk after 5 years whether you used it or not. I don't want a mismatched tire on my car. If I need to run the spare I never know if I'm going to be travelling or somewhere it's inconvenient to get a new tire or an old tire fixed. I've actually been in this situation. Try getting a flat almost exactly 1/2 between LA and Las Vegas on a Sunday. You've got to limp back several hours on a spare. No way. Put on full size with a good tire that's been in rotation and fix or replace the damaged tire ASAP, but not necessarily urgently.
>>
Cutting corners and reducing costs. Soon all cars will be Pintos with Chinesium bodies.
>>
>>14137258
I'm with you senpai I'm getting too worked up. The audacity of people to tell me that I am too stupid to change my own spare fucking floors me. SJWs the whole lot of them.
>>14137263
>snow
>driving on a rim
>>14137297
You're doing the bidding of the corporations who only seek profit, but by all means tell yourself it is for safety or the greater good that is exactly what they would wish for you to do.

Fuck this. I'm out.
>>
>>14137263
>not be a retard
>drive on the rim
pick one
>>
File: 1447657024345.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447657024345.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
I have never used the spare in any of my cars.
>>
File: 1451370101516.jpg (291 KB, 959x960) Image search: [Google]
1451370101516.jpg
291 KB, 959x960
>>14137263
Drive on your rim and tell us how it goes.
>>
>>14137323

Don't worry, big brother will be working with the jews by raising your insurance premiums and taxes to cook you out of your conventional car in favor of an auto driving one and public transit within the next decade or so.

I think you've got bigger concerns if you're getting so worked up over the fate of spare tires.
>>
>>14137335
Have you at least fingered a girl?
>>
>>14136826
>don't make room for a spare
What do you think the other seats are for?
>>
File: 1450132692297.png (832 KB, 1240x1118) Image search: [Google]
1450132692297.png
832 KB, 1240x1118
>tfw full sized spare
>>
>>14136849
>carrying shit insurance
>doesn't have 24/7 towing at no charge
>>
>>14136773
New cars with no spare come with mini inflation tool/compressor and tire sealant injection to re- inflate tire and driv 50-100 mile to get to nearest tire shop
>>
>>14140164
But tire sealant injection ruins the tire
>>
File: 1434508441637.jpg (19 KB, 366x464) Image search: [Google]
1434508441637.jpg
19 KB, 366x464
>>14136799
>>14136824
>>14136851
>>14136989
>>14137193
>>
>>14136773
its the jews.

cars that dont have room for a spare is one thing, they include a patch kit, and some slime. which probably costs the same as a spare, and jack.

but other cars actually have it as an optional extra. Mustang does this. at least I hope they do cause the 2016 model has a tire well, but no spare.
>>
>>14140215
>doesn't know the dealer takes those spares
>and sells for an extra bit of money
>>
>>14140186

Not really. It just makes your minimum wage tire monkey upset with you.

You have to clean it out, and it looks like puke and smells like horrid chemicals. The tire can be patched or plugged normally.

Dunno if shops have changed their policy since I was a youngin working at said tire shops for minimum wage, but it was totally doable and I never got any returning customers when I patched them.

We just charged extra cause of the extra time it took. Of course this meant niggers would lie about it, like we wouldn't notice when the tire broke off the bead and soaked us in fix-a-flat because we weren't expecting it to be full of goop. Those people got told to go fuck themselves.
>>
With mandatory TPMS, spare tires don't matter.

Unless you nail a curb at speed or something, you're not going to get a flat without at least a day's warning on the dashboard.

Blowouts don't happen unless the tire has already been weakened by being driven on severely under underinflated for a long time, and nail/screw punctures leak down very slowly.
>>
File: 1437746250207.jpg (55 KB, 465x585) Image search: [Google]
1437746250207.jpg
55 KB, 465x585
>>14140270
>>
File: 20151230_121234.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151230_121234.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>14136773
I already know this feel
>>
File: IMAG0157.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0157.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>14137304
>old tires
>>
>>14140293
>what is debris on highways
Yeah, I'd much rather wait for a tow then put on a spare and limp to the nearest service station.
>>
File: triple 666 killa.jpg (26 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
triple 666 killa.jpg
26 KB, 600x338
>>14136773

>not keeping a trunk mounted cooling reservoir in the spare tire bay

its like you want to lose at the track
>>
>>14141281
What the hell kind of debris are you hitting?
>>
File: images.jpg (31 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
31 KB, 511x288
Atlest u got a air pump.

There's nothing in mine I ripped all the boot stuff out one time n all this in there is th ait filter.

This is back in the 80's
>>
>>14136773
manufacturer saves money and the car weighs less for better MPG's

They still charge you more than the car is worth because they load it with gimmicky bullshit though so in the end, the manufacturer wins and the consumer still loses
>>
>>14137263
>drive on the rim
Please tell me this is bait
>>
>>14140036
Why would you want to wait for someone to come help you when you can carry a spare and be driving again in less than 15 minutes?
>>
>>14141324
Jesus anon, get it together. I had to reread your post to figure out what the fuck you were trying to say.
>>
>>14141418
not him but then you're just dumb as fuck if you couldn't figure it out right away. not even memeposting, if you had more brain power (higher IQ) like a normal person you'd figure it out instantly. dumdum.
>>
>>14136773

Why would they?

95% of all new cars sold these days are viewed as appliances, and rarely see the wrench from the person who owns them. So if they popped a tire, they likely wouldn't do anything but call someone to come tow the car. Much less actually knowing something as basic as changing a tire.

My car doesn't come with anything but a fucking tire patch kit and a compressor. Which I still don't fucking get that over just a simple jack and a donut so I can limp somewhere. Who the fuck actually patches their tire on the side of the road besides truckers?
>>
>>14141443
Yea, no.
>>
>>14141474
ehm, yea, YES. if your IQ is higher you are capable to solve problems faster.
>>
File: 7144[1].jpg (464 KB, 1197x1200) Image search: [Google]
7144[1].jpg
464 KB, 1197x1200
>low profile tires
>irreparable damage
>>
>>14140293
i hit a curb once on relatively new tires and both tires blew out
>>
>>14136773
Full blowouts or delaminations are rare.

Most of the time it's just a flat tire, in which case tire foam or slime and a compressor are easy fixes that don't require Sally Sue to get her hands too dirty taking a wheel off.
>>
>>14136773
My other daily doesn't have a spare tire with nothing to fix it with if I get a flat

I like to live life on the edge.
>>
what does this guy in the OP not have a fucking garage? what about a cabinet under the sink where you could store that shit? are you serious you drive with a fucking baker's dozen spray bottles in your trunk? for what when you wash your car every 2 weeks you drive out into the fucking desert or something? none of what is going on in that trunk makes any sense
>>
>>14141612
>don't put things in your truck
>your trunk isn't for holding things.
>>
>>14136824
The FD is actually quite "pigfat" for what it is.

Look it up. It's heavy.
>>
>>14141615
>pick up friend at the airport
>pop the trunk
>"hold on let me just mo-"
>too late
>he throws his suitcase into the trunk
>slowmoexplosion.gif
>ammonia glass cleaner mixes with bleach
>mustard gas fills car
>get arrested for terrorism
>>
>>14141624
>pigfat
>2900lb sportscar with spare and interior
Only thing RWD that is lighter is way more expensive or underpowered Miatas.
>>
File: 1344259773666.jpg (27 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
1344259773666.jpg
27 KB, 300x450
>>14141637
>having friends
>doing anyone favors

Do you now see where your scenario falls apart?
>>
File: carrera 991 spare tire.jpg (67 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
carrera 991 spare tire.jpg
67 KB, 500x333
Gotta love Porsche, they made it a $1,295+ option on my car.
>>
>>14141324
u wot m8
That's your choice, tthere's loads of room for the spare in the front boot
>>
>>14141662

Don`t you have to pay Porsche to have shit removed from your car for MUH WEIGHT REDUCTION?
>>
my 120i doesn't have an spare tire. sucks because i live at mexico and roads are shit.
>>
>>14141481
I can agree with this statement, but not your previous shitty attempt to make me "mad".
>>
>>14141662
The spare in my 996 Turbo is in the trunk up front.
>>
>>14136840
Sup jew?
>>
>>14136773
I drive an SUV. The spare tire is rusted to the undercarriage of the car somewhere and probably has 3psi in it.

I'll call the fucking tire guy and wait 45min.

>tfw last flat tire, they told me 90min wait and dude showed up in 30min.
>>
>>14136835

No they don't.
>>
File: 1451442314824.jpg (49 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
1451442314824.jpg
49 KB, 596x628
>>14136835
What land are you from?
>>
>>14136963
>>It is dangerous to replace your flat on your own if you don't know what you're doing.
To be fair, if you can't do this, you really shouldn't be driving in the first place.
>>
File: bmw_by_skywalkeroo.jpg (106 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bmw_by_skywalkeroo.jpg
106 KB, 800x600
>>14136773
k, my current ride already doesn't have one from 2008
>>
>>14140293
>Thinks TPMS is mandatory and it will stop a flat tire.
Kekmate
>>
File: 1451019543534.gif (58 KB, 132x140) Image search: [Google]
1451019543534.gif
58 KB, 132x140
>>14136773
this >>14136799
>>
File: 1448734614060.jpg (25 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1448734614060.jpg
25 KB, 600x800
>mfw car didnt come with a spare, they used run flat tires instead
>get those taken off too
>mfw not living in a shithole means AAA can get to me in 15 minutes, have my car at the shop in 30, and have me home in 45.
>>
>>14136840
sup reddit
>>
File: benjaminfranklinjewry.png (483 KB, 1033x374) Image search: [Google]
benjaminfranklinjewry.png
483 KB, 1033x374
>>14136799
so did ben franklin
>>
>>14136835
Yeah okay.
https://youtu.be/V8HiSr0i7uo
>>
>>14144877
No fucking way! I'll take that bet. 45 minutes from AAA phone call to repair at shop.
>>
File: letangymerchant.png (462 KB, 670x658) Image search: [Google]
letangymerchant.png
462 KB, 670x658
IT'S THE JUICE
>>
>>14137213
>inflate to 50psi

Fucking idiot you inflate to proper psi that the side of your cars door tells you you fucking idiot.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.