[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if you are doing a build on a sports car, how do you know what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: porschen.jpg (60 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
porschen.jpg
60 KB, 800x600
if you are doing a build on a sports car, how do you know what power level is ideal? obviously having the right amount is better than something where if you floor it on a straightaway you cant keep on it more than 3-4 seconds. thats clearly not usable.
what is the idea power? something you can drive the piss out of without intimidation. might depend on the driver but not a lot.

honestly there is too much, and of course too little.
>>
I feel pretty good with a 0.1 or 0.12 or so power/weight ratio.
>>
I'm currently building a road course car and I'd be more than happy with a reliable 400whp weighing 3300lbs with me in it
>>
>>14130363
power to weight. Do math.
>>
When its scary add 100hp
>>
>>14130363
LT1 Corvette has ideal P/W for fun driving without excessive speed.

I want to be able to shift twice before I'm speeding as well.
>>
>>14130367
>>14130386
>>14130645
At the same power to weight ratio, the lighter car will be faster. Power only helps in one direction, light weight helps in every direction. It's entirely possible to build a car that demands that you bury your foot in the throttle when you're already going 85 mph through mountain switchbacks marked for 20. At that point, it doesn't really matter if your car has 150 horsepower or 510; the limiting factor is your balls.

That said, if you can't do a rolling burnout in second, you don't have enough power, and if you can threshold brake without hurting your neck, you don't have enough tire.
>>
>>14130873
>simplification
Suspension geometry, steering angles, wheels, width, wheel base, tires, 4 corner distribution, ride height, COG, are much more of a factor to handling. Power to weight is the best place to start. Then you sort the rest of the shit out.
>>
>>14130363
as much as your tires and wallet can handle.
/thread
>>
>>14130446
This.
>>
>>14130367
I like about 0.25 - 0.30
>>
>>14130363
>you cant keep on it more than 3-4 seconds
Eurafag
>>
>>14130873
Lighter helps with a given contact patch, sure. But light weight doesn't guarantee higher corner speeds, faster transitions, and tighter turn in, because it isn't the only factor.
>>14130363
I'm benchmarking the E36 M3 as my minimum standard and the LT4 C4 Corvette as my ideal performance goal while building my Fiero. I want to stop in 105 feet, hit 60 in under 5 seconds, pull at least .95 g on the 600 foot circle, and go 60mph in the slalom.

I want this on a naturally aspirated motor that runs on regular and gets 35+ mpg in the freeway.

I think that it can all be done on the LE4.
>>
>>14131012
>Unlimited Autoban
>3-4 second power pulls only.

Sure, Euro.

Nope, that's a fellow American with way more respect for the law than you or I.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.