[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Van Life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (346 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
346 KB, 1280x850
Seriously considering living in a van.
Ford transit is really appealing. I can stand up in the high roof version and its quite fuel efficent etc.
Other options are a used Chevy express from some huge company that used it as a fleet vehicle.

Anyone know anything about vans? Reliability etc? Thoughts?

I'm going to completely do the interior myself.
>>
>>14130039
I've always been partial to Fords myself but it has always seemed like the Chevy is cheaper to buy and maintian and with the Transit being a brand new model that will definitely hold true. so you have to decide if the fuel savings will be worth the added costs of ownership, though a Transit will also most likely have a warranty.
>>
>>14130145
I would buy a brand new ford for like 35k or buy a used express for 12. I think the biggest thing is, is it worth 23k to stand up. Also how reliable are those Chevy vans when their mileage gets up there.
>>
>>14130039
>Thoughts?

Buy a caravan. Live in the caravan. Attach the caravan to a car when you want to move it. That way you have a home and a car which are not entwined. It is a cheaper and better solution.
>>
File: tup.gif (945 KB, 346x263) Image search: [Google]
tup.gif
945 KB, 346x263
>>14130039
I've been so stoked on building out a sprinter. Seems like the best choice overall IMHO.

Here are a few of my favorite builds:
http://imgur.com/gallery/3wt7e
http://imgur.com/gallery/rqNm3/new
https://www.instagram.com/brentbarghahn/
http://syntheti.cc/van-build/#intro
http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DIY_Sprinter_camper_interior_web2.jpg

Basic premise:
1. Insulate the walls like crazy. Cut hole for fan and/or window.
2. Install your fan.
3. Use rivnuts or something similar to attach a lightweight wood to the walls for a stud.
4. Wire up for solar and run wires for an outlet or two. You'll have batteries at one side, so get these going early. You can set up your electric system here too.
5. Put down a subfloor with optional electric heater underneath. Your bed will be in the back or on the side, depending on how big of a bed you want. Built the floor up unto that point. Luan is a good choice for a laminate.
6. More insulation. Stuff that bitch until it gets to the same level as your studs.
7. Install a vapor barrier, especially if you'll be in moist climates.
8. Wall it up. Some use glue, some use screws. Cedar looks really sharp and is easy enough to do. I'd like to have it all the way over the roof.
9. Set up your bed and kitchenette. There are so many ways to go here, so that's up to you. I think a queen across the back is really nice. I'd also like a dual burner electric stove, like the first build above (http://i.imgur.com/kLveK6p.jpg?1)
10. So much here, but figure out your water/sink situation. Foot pumps are nice enough, you can get as wild as a diesel water heater with a sink/showerhead combo if you want.
11. Storage and finishing touches. Swivel seat? Blackout curtains?
12. Go fucking drive that bitch to the american southwest and live free on BLM land.

So yeah. Been spending a lot of time planning a build.
>>
Just a question /o/.

I also have plans on living in a van but where will I shit and bath?
>>
>>14132189

Get a gym/YMCA membership.
>>
>>14132189
Camp grounds
Gas stations
McDonald's
>>
>>14131542

A really good source for Sprinter builds is this forum right here.

You'll get tons of good ideas from these guys.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119
>>
>>14130039
Id avoid the transits for now, they havent been around long enough for me. (Im planning to be a van dweller soon)

Also stay away from the little chevy express/nissan cv200 whatever its called. They eat their fucking tires up.

Go for a used Econoline/Express or a sprinter if you can find one with less than a billion miles on it.
>>
>>14132339

The problem with the Express/Econoline is that they have really low roofs, and once you get insulation and paneling in there, headroom is nonexistent.
>>
>>14132358
Anon, its a van, not a condo. As long as you can stretch out and sleep properly thats all that matters.
>>
My Z pisses in your Vans's intake, fuck off queer.
Go ahead and benchrace. I've owned more vehicles than you've seen years, and I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the Van. The interior is 90s KIA tier too.

They are what got me interested in sports coupes again, but they are a letdown in reality. And I am a Van fanboi. The 370z blew the Van away in the feels dept, that's why I bought one instead.

The 370z has Jap class with muscle acceleration, and the handling characteristics you'd expect from a traditional two seat rwd coupe making 330+hp at the crank.

You fell for the meme, while people who actually like cars and driving chose any number of quicker sharp handling cars in the price range.
>>
File: crab.jpg (53 KB, 500x575) Image search: [Google]
crab.jpg
53 KB, 500x575
>living in a van because housing has become unaffordable

THE AMERICAN DREAM
>>
File: impala.jpg (147 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
impala.jpg
147 KB, 1200x799
>>14132399
My impala needs your bot, m8.
>>
>>14132412
I'll be living in a van soon because I dont want to be inside anymore. Few more months on my apartment lease then I will be a bonafide vagabond.

Im gonna be bored out of my fucking mind.
>>
Transit is the best ven you can get right now. The Sprinter is fine too.
>>
File: IMG_1105.jpg (38 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1105.jpg
38 KB, 500x323
>>14132399
What year is your Z and why is it slower than my 15 Year old catfish?
>>
>>14132412

It's only to get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
>>
>>14132189
Theres always the option of small motorhomes, unless urban stealth camping is what you intend on doing.
>>
>>14132189
Make a corner for each
>>
what's with all the hobos on /o/?
>>
For the price of a Transit on the American market (which only came out a year or so ago) you can buy an entire used motorhome in absolutely satisfying condition, you'd only have to give it a proper scrubbing.
>>
>>14131542
When u build it dont fuck it up, and always plan to have things not go plan when building
>>
>>14132189
Simple start working and dont live in a van
>>
>>14130039
Haha, buy a shittyish house for like 50k, sink 10k into it and get a room mate, buy a 3k honda or toyota econobox and stop being a fuckin tard. you could also get a used 250 motorbike that gets like 80mpg for around 1-2k as a backup vehicle/way to escape your shit life when you're feeling down. Then when you look back, you won't have to think to yourself, "why did I live in a fuckin van?"

Another option, buy a shitty camper from the 70's or 80's for like 3-4k and fix it up to live in. At least you'd have a pot to shit in and a burner to cook on.

Stupid fuckin hippie.
>>
>>14133113
>>14133171

faggots detected
>>
>>14133084
>making human brain labor less in demand
Dropped desu.
>>
>>14133171
>buying a house for $50k

Maybe OP doesn't want to live in an apartment in New Mexico
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.