[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wheres the best place to learn maintaining your car, what to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: love you mom.jpg (32 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
love you mom.jpg
32 KB, 500x375
Wheres the best place to learn maintaining your car, what to do, etc? I'm actually pretty mechanically proficient I just know nothing about cars however I can remove and install any component on a F-15.
>>
>>14128471
If you can spanner an F-15 you can do any job on any vehicle.
>>
>>14128538
Yeah I know I just want to take good care of my future car when I PCS. So I'm trying to pick up good habits and learn as much as I can before I buy a new car.
>>
>>14128573
>pick up good habits
>pick up
>drives a F-15

I see what you did there OP
>>
File: 20131211_150734.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20131211_150734.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>>14128844
No I work on the jet
>>
>>14128890
gonna need more proof buddy, either way

>pick up a hane/chiltons/shop manual for your car
>when something needs to be fixed or replaced, check the manual and watch youtube videos about the problem.
>maybe buy a cheap beater/autox car/ winter car to practice wrenching and modifying on
>>
File: abc123.jpg (77 KB, 757x568) Image search: [Google]
abc123.jpg
77 KB, 757x568
>>14129079
Well here's more proof, and thanks for the tips
>>
>>14129112
Damn man, that's a cool job. I know they plan to keep the f15 in service but they are going to be cutting down on fleet size. Do you have any kind of choice for what kind of plane you get trained on next?
>>
>>14129146
The F-15 is not going anywhere it carries more fuel and bombs compared to any other fighter we have in our fleet. Also there are two different models the C/E model (three if you include the D model but its just a C model with an extra seat). I know they are trying to replace the C with the 35 since the main role of a C model is air to air but that isn't gonna happen until probably 2020ish. As for the E model the 22 was supposed to replace it but the jet is too sensitive to heat plus we have far more Es in our inventory then 22s and the 15 does all of the heavy lifting with our involvement in the middle east. So I won't be working on any other fighter until I get out.
>>
>>14128471
i know this is clearly not the right place to ask this, but how goes the training qualification for an f15 technician?
what do you do after basic?
do they teach broad mechanical skills, and then you get oriented toward a specific aircraft?
How goes your training journey?
>>
>>14129226
You get "shredded" which means you are going to work on x fighter aircraft and your technical school will teach you how to work on that jet. You learn the most basic of basic shit like how to service oil/hydro/fuel, change a tire, inspections no real maintenance is taught in your training. After that you just get thrown into the shit not know how to really do anything and very slowly you figure it out. I'm past the point of training been in for a few years so I know how to do the normal maintenance with my eyes closed. The hard part is figuring out how much you want to know after a certain point if you want to become great its all self taught. I taught my self how to read schematics, shoot wires, trouble shoot the only downside is the more useful you become the bigger rarity you are and you will work longer because of what you know.
>>
>>14129271
you figured it all out buy yourself?
wasn't there other mechanics to teach you on the field how to do stuff?
>>
>>14129312
There are a lot of factors man like what shift you are on days/swings/mids because we work on these jets 24 hours a day. Dayshift and swings has the biggest manning and if you get put on midshift you might not have someone there to teach you. You just have to figure it out all on your own. Also do the more experienced guys see you busting your ass if not they aren't gonna put in effort to teach someone they think isn't a hard worker. You can get by with just launching and inspecting jets but you won't be respected for it.
>>
I'd start by selecting one vehicle and looking up it's service schedule and intervals, learn to do all the things on the first 100 k Miles and that should teach you alot about the general setup of a given platform
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.