[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain to me why people do this again. It makes no sense. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.jpg (1 MB, 2368x2145) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1 MB, 2368x2145
Explain to me why people do this again. It makes no sense.

I have lived in Chicago for 25 years, and been driving for 11 of them. We get plenty of snow, and there are enough times each year when there is a solid inch of ice on your car that you need to spend 30 minutes scraping off. I do not see the benefit of lifting your wipers off the glass.

>Come outside, snow/ice on car. Car needs to be cleaned.
>Use your snow brush to get the majority of the snow/ice off the windshield
>Lift the wipers off, flex them to break the ice, wipe the blades.
>Clean the area where the wipers sit, place them back down.
>Wipe the windshield with the wipers, clean any remaining ice, drive off.

vs.

>Come outside, snow/ice on car. Car needs to be cleaned. Blades are in the air
>Use your snow brush to get the majority of the snow/ice off the windshield
>Clean the lifted wipers, flex them to break the ice, wipe the blades.
>Lower blades on a clean windshield.
>Wipe the windshield with the wipers, clean any remaining ice, drive off.

So what does lifting the wipers in the air help with?
You still need to clean the windshield.
You still need to flex the blades if they are iced over
You still need to physically clean the wiper blades. Keeping them up in the air does not exlcude them from being covered in snow, or ice

So again, what does this help with? Does this somehow make a situation when the wiper blades are stuck to the glass easier?
Do people think the rubber gets damaged when you separate a frozen blade from the glass?
Has the rubber ever torn doing so? If it gets that bad, you should replace your blades. They are only good for 1 year anyway.
Like how does that help?
What's the benefit here?
>>
>>14128209
I replace my blades at the end of every winter. They get beat up.
Using wiper blades over a poorly cleaned windshield that's covered in ice is really bad for the rubber. Tears it right up.

If anything, its best to remove the wiper blades if you expect snow, take them inside, wash them with soap, and some vinegar. This improves thier life, they dont freeze outside, they remain nice and flexible, and if they are easy to put back on, its less work than trying to get the snow/ice off them.

Lifting your blades only invited vandalism, and should a strong gust of wind come by, its gonna smack them against your glass, and sometimes upside down. Seen that happen.
>>
>>14128209
Sometimes if it is a bad ice storm, when you go to lift the blades up, it will rip the rubber apart. That was the main reason for me.

I normally just left them down tho. Start the car and blast the defrosters for awhile to melt a bit of the ice, then lift the blades and drop em on the windshield a few times to break the ice off.

I don't think the problem is nearly as bad with the newer wiper blade design compared to the old ones with the metal frames.
>>
>>14128209
How many times are you going to make this thread?
>>
>>14128209
>So what does lifting the wipers in the air help with?
It keeps the blades from freezing to the windshield. The reasoning behind this is the rubber blades can either tear or get pulled off the wiper blade assembly if frozen to the windshield.. If you live somewhere that snows you should know this, rookie.
>>
>>14128209
I live in California and it actually gets under 30°f so my car is frozen. Any tips on cold mornings? They're a shitton of ice on all my windows I just throw water on and turn the wipers on. My door got frozen stuck yesterday, what do?
>>
>>14128394
>My door got frozen stuck yesterday, what do?
Usually you go to the other side that isn't frozen and push the frozen door open from the inside.

If that doesn't work they actually sell canned de-icer for locks and doors.
>>
>>14128394
No joke, back in highschool I would put my ass right up to the door and sit on the lock. And yes, I used naturally-heated air when possible. Worked like a charm.
>>
>>14128394
apply grease to the door rubber.

>They're a shitton of ice on all my windows I just throw water on and turn the wipers on

fucking retard
>>
>>14128209
It's not to make it easier to clean the windshield or wipers, if the wipers freeze to the windshield they'll tear small bits of rubber off when they're moved, and then leave streaks all over the place.
>>
>>14128394
>Under 30 degrees Fahrenheit
>car is frozen

Tell me when it's -30 faggot
>>
>>14128466
Well it does make it easier to clean the windshield now that you don't have to struggle to pry the frozen wiper from the fucking thing in order to scrape the ice off. Theres a lot of winter shit posting going on today lel
>>
>>14128209

Some grannies used to do this as a sign of protest against people who would park by the side of the road, they would even bend them sometimes.
>>
I pull my wipers up and put long socks on them to prevent ice from forming on the blades.
>>
>>14128209
Stops them freezing to the screen.

I don't need to, though. Front wipers recess down under bonnet level, and front and rear heated screens. Ice just melts while I de-ice the side windows and lights.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.