[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are these winter tires? I was picking out some used tires and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Are these winter tires?

I was picking out some used tires and noticed these had more tread than the others, so I chose them.

Now I'm noticing the extra grooves on the treading and believe I've made a mistake (I live in Georgia).
>>
Does it say M+S? Then yes. They likely are.
>>
>>14128169
They look like winter tires. However, take a look a on the side of the tire, it should say m+s or have a picture of a snowflake or whatever.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>14128169

No.

And fix your bumper
>>
>>14128202
The whole front end needs replacing (bumper and wheel well panels).

Didn't you notice the bottom left part of the sidewall?
>>
no, Arizonian tires are all designed for low rolling resistance and fuel economy. They're shitbox tires.

However, that tread doesn't look too bad for snow. Guaranteed it will hydroplane like a motherfucker though.
>>
File: santa.jpg (2 MB, 2700x1519) Image search: [Google]
santa.jpg
2 MB, 2700x1519
>>14128169
finnishfag here, sure looks like a tire to skid into a pine tree in winter
>>
>>14128169
Rather, they are all-season tires. Fuel economy wont be as good and theyll wear faster, but you can drive on them all year round.
>>
>>14128234
So the m+s on the sidewall means nothing for that tire?
>>
File: ir.jpg (35 KB, 590x391) Image search: [Google]
ir.jpg
35 KB, 590x391
I don't know if you have the same standards in America, but here in Europe (IT here, but i suppose this is an euro standard) all winter tires need to have pic related on them, the M+S is not enough because, even though it literally means "mud+snow", a lot of offroad tires have it but are not rated for snow and don't have all those little grooves on them.

So here a legal winter tire needs to have that mountain & snowflake symbol or it just counts as an offroad tire.

Anyway, the tires in your pic definitely look like winter tires
>>
>>14128169
They look like they're good for rain. Might destroy your self on the ice/snow though.
>>
>>14128351
Actually we have something exactly like that.
>>
>>14128305
>Fuel economy wont be as good
What? I have beat my cars mpg estimates by 15/4/11 City/Highway/Mixed with all seasons.
>>
>>14128325
m+s doesn't mean winter tire. Those are all seasons that are ok for the occassional snow day assuming they have tread depth left.
>>
Definetly all-seasons
>>
>>14128193

I N S I D E
N
S
I
D
E

Also, no.
>>
>>14130365

haha, good eye
>>
OP you bought used tires (how is anyone this poor?) and you installed them incorrectly?

Please lord, tell me this is a troll thread
>>
>>14128440
That is that. Ours is just non regulatory.
>>
>>14130593
Incorrectly? Those look reversible...
>>
File: _20151228_201706.jpg (99 KB, 671x989) Image search: [Google]
_20151228_201706.jpg
99 KB, 671x989
>>14130622
That's on the outside. All signs point to it being wrong.
>>
>>14130735
It's ok, I'm not driving a Miata.

Besides, I do a lot of driving and I face extreme camber wear on the inside and go through a lot of tires. Having the highest tread on the inside will allow the tires to last longer.
>>
>>14130758
No, actually it'll have far less traction, and wear out much faster. But being stupid just might work for you.
>>
>>14128193
Those are M+S tires, so called "All season" tires. They're not the best in winter and not the best in the summer, but perfectly serviceable.
>>
File: winter_tire_snowflake_symbol.jpg (15 KB, 610x358) Image search: [Google]
winter_tire_snowflake_symbol.jpg
15 KB, 610x358
>>14128169
>>14128193
>Arizonian Silver Edition
Common well-known cheap-ass all season tires.
Thoroughly mediocre in every way. About the best you can expect in an all-season from a used tire shop.

>>14128184
>take a look a on the side of the tire, it should say m+s or have a picture of a snowflake or whatever.

Big difference between M+S and the snowflake symbol.
M+S indicates an all season tire; this is the bare minimum to be on the roads in sub-freezing temperature, and typically legally required to cross a mountain pass in bad weather.
The snowflake indicates a full snow tire suitable for use in the worst conditions, with far better grip than a simple all-season on snow and ice. In some states they are allowed as a substitute for chains on mountain passes. However they use very soft rubber that stays pliable in sub-zero temperatures, and will wear out very quickly if used in warm weather.
>>
>>14130365
Oh shit, this bro is right; you got screwed, shop mounted them backwards.

Take them back and point it out to them, if they are even slightly respectable they will remount them correctly for you for free.
>>
>>14128243
>snowflake decal
COOL
O
O
L
>>
>>14128462
Beating the estimate by 15... wat?
>>
>>14128169
No, those are All Seasons... the tread pattern reminds me of Pirelli? Could be wrong.

But no, those have the treads of an all season tire. No good for anything below -14c
>>
>>14130735
Uh, that image clearly shows the inside of the rim with the inside side of the tire.
>>
>>14131208
>rim

They're wheels, you fucking nigger scum. Rims are metal rings that dress up steel wheels.
>>
>>14131208

>>14128193
>>
>>14128169
those are not winter tires.

I've seen summer tires with M+S rating. srsly. it really depends on the kind of treads they have.

winter tires have a snow fake on them

the tires you have have decent amount of sipes, but the compound is not as nice
>>
>>14131208
>looking at the inside of the rim
>from the outside of the car

mind blown
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.