[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trading my car, need opinions.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: FB_IMG_1448208047518.jpg (18 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448208047518.jpg
18 KB, 480x270
>TL:DR-Tuned 9000 vs tuned merkur vs AWD DSM

Ok, I am getting into the market to trade my car. I don't know if it's a good idea or not, and all my "car friends" are tards.

I currently own a 1993 Saab 9000 Aero. Body is like a 7/10, interior is the same, mostly because the headliner is terrible. The car is at stage 3, so that's just an intake and exhaust and a tune. It also has halo headlights from an e36 and it's wired for a sound system, I couldn't give a damn about that part though. I didn't do any of this to it the previous owner did. And I don't think he cared too much about the car. The clutch in it exploded on my way home from trading it. And the more and more I dig into this car to fix that the bigger a problem arises. It needs new cv shafts and new hub. If I were to keep it, i'd put a lot of handling parts on it and track it.

The first car I would trade it for is a 86 Merkur xr4ti, manual, no rust (big thing because i'm from Wisconsin) and 81xxx and a 5speed. This car has a full 3in straight pipe, cam, and tune. Might be lowered a bit too. The reason I'd want this car is because it's related to one of my first car loves, the Sierra Cosworth. I think those cars have lots of potential as a track car because of that, swap the engine at some point maybe for a different 4cyl turbo. That would be why I would want that car.

The next is a awd DSM, it would probably be an auto because from what I've read they are way stronger than the manuals. I haven't gotten any specific one in sight yet but I might soon. But I would just make it an all around fast car, 500-600ish whp and all the handling parts you can imagine. The nice part about this car is there's actually an aftermarket for it not like the last two.

So what do you guys think. If you have actually drove any of these cars before tell me how they were. Even the 9000 because I barely got a chance to actually drive it seeing as the brakes needed to be bled and I was just on the interstate.
>>
>>14128021
>chink aftermarket lights
Please don't buy another car and ruin it.
>>
>>14128024
I never did anything to the car except take it apart for the clutch job. The po installed the terribly
>>
>>14128028
>I never did anything
So you don't repair things that need repair, but you want cars that will both needs mountains of repair?
>>
>>14128021
262fag here, how's the weather by you?

I'm looking at the craigslist post of the Merkur right now and I'm really not sure how I feel about the blown turbo seals.
>>
>>14128051
I'm a 262 fag too based anon. That isn't a huge problem for me, td04 from all the Saab forums for less than $150 and the 9000 came with a full intercooler piping kit with HKS recirc valve.

>>14128042
You're not understanding. I traded my car for this Saab, and on the way home from the trade the clutch blew, and the job keeps on getting worse the more I dig into it. I've done plenty of maintenance to my old car, which was a Saab. Mostly because it was owned by a nigger and never taken care of.
>>
>>14128051
Weather is just cold, and windy. No snow, thank god. Boost weather is still upon us.
>>
>>14128021
>merkur
>AWD DSM
Holy shit. How many times were you dropped on your head as a child?
These are both horrible vehicles (yes ivr driven both quite a bit)
Seriously do some research first
>>
>>14128021
If you're willing to baseline a DSM it will be a fine car. The problem is that baselining a DSM will basically be a full rebuild thanks to the type of owners they usually get. If you're on a budget shoot for lower power so that you don't kill reliability.
>>
>>14128093
Provide reasoning?

I'm feeling you're saying Merkur because it's underpowered and the DSM because of crank walk or something like that.
>>
>>14128097
What do you mean by baseline? Rebuild it? Go through it? Never heard of that term.
>>
>>14128109
http://wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Baselining+Your+Car
>>
>>14128021
>Merkur
Those are just a rebadged Sierra XR4i right?
As much as I hate Sierras, in this case i'd go with the Merkur.

Much simpler than the other cars and if you manage to blow the 2.3 up, a Zetec bolts up to the type 9 gearbox
>>
>>14128102
Go look at the xr4ti suspension set up.
You fart and the castor will change. It's retarded and a terrible design.
Youll have to get an intercooler for it since there isn't one factory.
Be sure to replace all the rubber bushing if you don't want to die the first time you hit a bump at 65mph

The DSM... How do you not know all the issues with them? Honestly they are of horrible build quality.
They all burn oil and leak oil. It's always bad rings or valve stem seals. Stock turbos blow like mad. Every possible thing that can leak will leak all the time. Including boost because the intercooler is in the worst spot ever.
>pull to close to a curb
Goodbye intercooler.

Please do yourself a favor and go read. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot more
>>
File: impala.jpg (147 KB, 1200x799) Image search: [Google]
impala.jpg
147 KB, 1200x799
>>14128021
Get an Impala.
>>
>>14128135
Not a richfag my car is literally all I own
>>
I forgot to add the Merkur also has a intercooler kit from an SVO I think.
>>
>>14128153
Won't matter. It'll understeer into a tree
>>
>>14128160
Damn, I guess i'll check that chart for some good cars. I'm still not convinced on the DSM

>Find all the images with trees. Kek
>>
File: 5_tighter.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
5_tighter.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>14128182
Here is merkur front suspension.
Notice the lack of stabilizing arms?
Because it's ALL held together by the sway bar!!!
>bump
Into tree
>>
>>14128201
Yuck, I ain't having that shit no more. Merkur is off the list. Foxbody mustang maybe?
>>
>>14128201
well you can fix that with stiffer rear bars so you go sideways into the tree instead
>>
>>14128021
If its actually a stage 3 9000, the clutch wouldve been replaced by a stronger aftermarket one. Who did the tuning?
>>
>>14128228
PO didn't know. I have a local tuner in my area that will give me a good deal if I decide to keep it. I understand the need of getting an upgraded clutch, bit I'm not dropping that cash if i'm not keeping it.
>>
>>14128241
Wait a minute, my bad, i misses the aero part. Stage 3 should not require a new clutch. Changing it is not that difficult provided youre handy and have access to some tools, nor is it very expensive to outsource the work.

Sounds like the previous owner has driven it to shits though.
>>
Right now I'm getting pissed because my transmission just won't come off the block, I separated it like an inch off the block and it's held up on the intermediate shaft. And that's a big job to take that out.
>>
>>14128259
If you're a 262 fag i'll pay you to help me. Because i'm stumped, but I'm a tard I just need someone to show me how stupid I am.
>>
But the clutch blew up when I did a pull by a new Mercedes. Pieces of my clutch disk are everywhere.
>>
>>14128132
>How do you not know all the issues with them?
The ones that the owners are the cause of?
>>
>>14128289
Yurop. There was a pretty good video on a swedish forum a while ago, let me see if i can find it.
>>
>>14128352
Thanks, that would help out a lot
>>
>>14128352
Are you from Wisconsin?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.