[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got one of these for christmass. Anyone else have dash cams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: CDR840_F.jpg (3 MB, 3097x2028) Image search: [Google]
CDR840_F.jpg
3 MB, 3097x2028
Just got one of these for christmass. Anyone else have dash cams . Thoughts on dash cams?
>>
>>14125817

kill yourself
>>
>>14125829
This Dashcams for non hooning/gopro applications are normalfag as fuck
>>
I use a cheap one. It's alright, haven't caught anything interesting yet.
>>
File: image.png (949 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.png
949 KB, 1536x2048
My cam. Interesting to watch it when bored when I was bored and WOT a few times on back roads. Deer, stupid drivers..
>>
>>14125817
Been using my GoPro just because I already had it. Haven't caught anything yet except for some jackwagon cutting so close in front of me that I couldn't see his trunk lid over my hood. Still kick myself for not having it on my helmet when I crashed my motorcycle.
>>
>>14125838
>Dad still pays my insurance
>>
>>14125817
>>14125858
>>14125882
How do you guys power them?
I use a GPS most of the time for work and cant power it off the cigarette lighter. Moreover the cigarette lighter splitters which allow you three 12v inputs are not very discreet.
I've been looking into mobile power packs but cant find any info about how long they last.
I also cant decipher if they power the camera while the car is off because the dashcam affiliated power packs say they need charging via cigarette lighter.
fug.
also cbf hardwiring.
I just want something discreet eg wires hidden under trim to a power pack which is velcro'd to passengers wheel well.
>>
>>14126024

12v in my glove box.

Brz here

It sits behind my rear view, I can't see the screen but it's the most hidden spot, just duck under see its on, it makes a noise when it turns on. Run wire above passenger sun visor, down passenger A pillar (popped plastic ran inside) through glove box into 12v. Can only see 10% of the wire from cam to visor and visor to A pillar. No biggy.
>>
File: 155360.jpg (13 KB, 474x300) Image search: [Google]
155360.jpg
13 KB, 474x300
>>14126024
Get yourself a hardwire kit. Piggybacks a fuse and means you don't have to tie up your 12V socket.
>>
File: 41StwOW2RvL.jpg (21 KB, 500x183) Image search: [Google]
41StwOW2RvL.jpg
21 KB, 500x183
Running one of these, which is small enough to forget about.

Hardwired in so turns on and off with the ignition.

For the anon who 'cbf' to do it, it takes less than 5 mins, and is as simple as swapping a fuse.
>>
>>14125968
>not having compo with a decent insurer
not having a dashcam doesnt affect my insurance one bit have fun with your sous-surveillance dickhead
>>
>want dash cam
>realize everybody plus them into their cigarette lighter thingy
>Dont want that, will look awful
>Its even more complicated if you want one in your rear view
God damnit, I feel like nobody is trying to push the technology
>>
>>14127329
I have a cheap dual lens one. $60. I feel better recording everything in both directions in case of rear end. I tucked the wires in the trim and is powered by a 12v in console so it is all pretty discreet. For xmas holidays and busy parking lots I plug it into a powerbank that powers it for four hours with car off. Otherwise it just records when car is on.
>>
>>14127266
my fusebox is under the hood
i think theres a box in the cabin for some stuff might do that.

powerpacks and cigarette lighters seem like too much fuckery but i want something to monitor my car while im parked, for hit and runs so may need a power pack.
>>
>>14127297
>sous-surveillance
You know that this is optional and nobody but you can use the footage, right? As in the feed is not connected to a server where a company analyzes the footage. You simply remove the SD card if and when you require footage as supporting evidence and it can help with insurance claims insofar as you can prove fault lies with the other driver. That's why they help keep insurance claims low. They also help with injury scams and various other unscrupulous activities.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 800x533
I just wear one of these. Not spending more on mounts or brackets. Plus time turning it on and off all the time from an awkward distance. This works well.
>>
>>14127466
Should be a fusebox in the glovebox for the stereo and the like.
If you connect it to a fuse that is constantly active and doesn't need the ignition on to work, you'd have a hardwired camera that will be on all the time.
>>
I lost three cars last year to the incompetence of other drivers. I went and got a dashcam after accident number three.
>>
>>14127867
wow that is scary. how would a cam have helped? did it hurt?
>>
>>14127875
Only one of them involved any injuries and even then it was just burns and bruises from the airbag, nothing serious.

The first though was someone merging into me and then driving off. Would have been nice to have that on camera. The second was someone backing into my car in a parking lot. Camera wouldn't have done anything there because they came and let me know and we squared everything away with insurance immediately. The third one, some asshole swerved in front of me, stopped dead in the road and claimed he was trying to make a turn and that I came into his lane and rear-ended him. Luckily he was drunk and despite the cops originally thinking I was at fault (hard to blame them given it was a rear end collision) he ended up getting cited for the accident.

Still, it was a wild year and made me realize I need to be able to back my self up. A buddy of mine got in a pretty bad accident shortly after my third when someone ran a red light and t-boned him. She said she had a green and he said he did, no witnesses. That would definitely have been a good time to have a dash cam.
>>
>>14125817
Get power pack to allow several hrs offline recording while you're parked in public parking spots. Most likely use, when some dumbass dents you and legs it.
>>
>>14127904
I just leave mine plugged into a 12v socket. They aren't switched in my car. I usually park facing the front of my store so it's like an extra security camera to boot.
>>
File: SJCAM_12.jpg (1 MB, 1190x845) Image search: [Google]
SJCAM_12.jpg
1 MB, 1190x845
I've been wanting to get one for about a year. My commute is in and out of two of the city's worst traffic areas, and I've had so many close calls. Now that I'm going to be on a motorcycle I decided I should get one.

It's pretty useful from the videos i've seen on r/roadcam. Finally bought a cheap chinese go pro look alike with good ratings (SJ4000 wifi). Also someone on /dbt/ recommended it. I watched a few reviews, and the negatives seem to be video quality isn't the best when uploaded to youtube, and sound obviously sucks - but it can be modded for external mic adapter. Apparently it fits with most other gopro products too.

Waiting for it to come in by new years. Comes with a bunch of shit for mounting on helmets or other surfaces.

vid related you never know when someone else is going to do something stupid as fuck and then blame you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhzvTGpzQUQ&t=8
>>
>>14127990
>low speed impact
>screaming like the world is ending

Jesus. I mean I'd be pissed too but come on.
>>
I have one. Its okay.
night time its shit, cant see cars plates at all due to the glare from the headlights.

daytime its okay.

forgot the brand, R1 something. $120ish, paid $98 on a sale. was highly recommended.
but from all the crash footage ive seen, mine performed very well.
cant really see much if you use a tiny quarter inch lens.

had a ton of closed calls, bunch of saved videos of other drivers being cunts. i figure if I gather enough, I can make a compilation video, or submit them to someone.
>>
>>14128372
woman can be unreasonable at times, and resort to screaming

>electronics thing at work blows
>loud boom
>ladies start screaming and crying
>dudes all run to the source to figure out wtf it is

kek
>>
I got one for christmas and it's great so far

it's tucked on the right side of the mirror so I don't see it when driving (even though the screen turns off after 30 sec)
I ran the cables overhead and then down through my weather stripping but for now it's just plugged into the cigarette lighter. I may hardwire it at some point

the only bad thing is the charger had a blinding red light that I just taped over
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.