[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /o/ think of the elise? i hear so much about the miata,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: Lotus_Elise_S1.jpg (412 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Lotus_Elise_S1.jpg
412 KB, 2048x1536
what does /o/ think of the elise? i hear so much about the miata, but what about the elise? i think it's a nice car. i'm in canada so the justfuckmyshitup winters make me worried about owning a soft top convertible, but the elise just seems so damn noice. look at dat smile, it's like the miata's european cousin.
>>
It's better than the miata in every single way
>>
It's vastly better than a Miata. But that's reflected in the price tag. Especially the early ones, which'll be collectibles.
>>
>>14122331
Cost 10x as much as a miata
Good car for Canada though. Mostly aluminum and fiberglass
>>
>>14122331
Vastly more expensive to buy and own.
>>
>>14122340
how much do they usually go for? SupercarWorld says it usually goes for 10k british kilos. isn't that like a brand new brz?
>>
I like it alot.
There's something special with a Lotus, my absolute dream car is the Exige s2.
>>
>>
>>14122331
The Toyota engine makes it easier and cheaper to work on than any Italian or German car

BUT it's horribly over-priced. I don't get why Brits think they deserve bullshit prices for their fucking cars.
>>
>>14122465
The old ones weren't Toyota engines
>>
File: MX5 Elise2s.jpg (82 KB, 736x376) Image search: [Google]
MX5 Elise2s.jpg
82 KB, 736x376
the newer elise doesn't look as nice to me for some reason
>>
That 2ZZ sounds so good when it activates the high cams.
>>
File: Opel_Speedster_2.2[1].jpg (3 MB, 4207x2801) Image search: [Google]
Opel_Speedster_2.2[1].jpg
3 MB, 4207x2801
Try the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 for a slightly cheaper alternative, if Canada ever got them at least. It's basically a 2nd gen Elise with a bodykit.
>>
what other cars are there that have an aluminum chassis and fiberglass body?
>>
File: 841_z.jpg (170 KB, 1080x719) Image search: [Google]
841_z.jpg
170 KB, 1080x719
k20 swapped elise would be the best daily driver.
>>
Better sports car, worse overall car, more expensive.
>>
>>14122560
And a mediocre engine.
>>
>>14123518
how is worst overall car it's the best hoonmachine ever.
>>
>>14123525
The turbo is the only VX220 which is worth getting
>>
>>14123545
The qualities of an overall car include fitness for daily driving, which the Elise absolutely isn't. The suspension is spine breaking even compared to a Miata, there's little to no luggage space even compared to a Miata, reliability and maintenance are more complicated, in adverse road conditions an RMR car is much more likely to end your day in a tree trunk. Daily driving an Elise is a punishment.
>>
Based camry v6 in a beast of a package, its slighty more expensive than other cars but the jump in quality is immense.
>>
>>14123525
That thing is invincible though, and with how lightweight the car is the engine doesnt matter. And a bonus is it'll last you forever
>>
>>14123575
>The suspension is spine breaking
get a better spine
>little to no luggage space
you wouldn't need a shitload on a daily basis, so why would a daily driver
>reliability and maintenance are more complicated
it's a tranverse-mounted four banger, that's literally the simplest drivetrain layout possible. the only difference is that it's in the back, which means nothing other than which end you have to walk to.
>an RMR car is much more likely to end your day in a tree trunk.

that's not entirely true, since the weight distribution of you and your "luggage" would mitigate oversteer to a certain degree. i mean, it has a curb weight of like 1400lbs, so its diffusers do a lot of work.
>>
>>14123603
Pretty sure that's the Evora/new Exige S.
>>
>>14123575
I dd an MR-S. With the right lifestyle and a bit of creativity you can get around having no luggage space and I ain't died yet.

Can't comment on suspension and maintenance of Elises in particular, of course.
>>
>>14123638
>use the second seat and footwell as luggage space
ahh, the perks of having no friends
>>
>>14122331
Insane insurance rates due to 100s being written off after 10 mph rear-end collisions.
>check copart for easliy fixed salvage deals
>>
File: 1450697958314.png (57 KB, 369x405) Image search: [Google]
1450697958314.png
57 KB, 369x405
>>14123656
http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/24424195?searchId=1821455252
>damage: rear end
>repair cost: over 30k

jesus fuck how is it that expensive to fix a rear end?
>>
File: 1449084917354.jpg (54 KB, 377x332) Image search: [Google]
1449084917354.jpg
54 KB, 377x332
>>14123671
http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/37021035?searchId=1821455252

Primary Damage:UNDERCARRIAGE
Secondary Damage:
Est. Retail Value:$29,517 USD
Repair Est:$34,389 USD

>$4,450 USD
>mfw

how much damage are we talking here...i honestly wouldn't mind trying to fix it myself at this point.
>>
>>14123671
Probably based off of a lot of genuine lotus parts (where other parts might suffice for much cheaper) as well as a lot of labour and possibly engine damage
>>
>>14123711
would you pull a trigger on one of these then bondo some fiberglass together and then k20 it to drive to work.
>>
>>14123625
If I can't pick up a person and buy a SINGLE crate of beer on the same trip, it's not a daily driver.
>>
>>14123743
Stick it in the footwell. Or on their lap. Or replace the spare tyre with some of that re-inflation foam stuff and use the compartment for that.
>>
>>14122331
That is the niggerKart 9000. It is by FisherPrice. Very rare care that never overheats even underwater.
>>
>>14123776
>am i funy yet
>>
>>14122465
The MkI and early MkII use Rover engines.
Lol headgaskets.
And any engine in an Elise is a pain in the arse to work on. Not much room.
>>
>>14123625
>get a better spine.

At first i wanted to punch my monitor but then I keked
>>
File: ponycar.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ponycar.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
Gore thread? Gore thread.
>>
they are cool but you wont be keeping up with anyone who spent that much when those twisties open up during a car meet drive
>>
>>14123498
K20 in an Elise s1 and MR-2 3rd gen might just make them one of the most badass track cars out there.
>>
>>14123652
Or two cars, or friends with cars.
>>
>>14123625
>it's a tranverse-mounted four banger, that's literally the simplest drivetrain layout possible.
This is bait, right? FR is far and away the easiest drivetrain layout to work on.
>>
File: 1437632582726.gif (867 KB, 145x82) Image search: [Google]
1437632582726.gif
867 KB, 145x82
>>14124718
no it's not. i'd rather work on an MR transverse than a FR longitudinal.

>both flywheel and timing chain are accessible
>>
>>14122331
05 elise; best car a purist can get. Most us arent rich enough for a DD plus dedicated track car.
>>
>>14122336
Except for commuting.
>>
File: 1451083841732.jpg (60 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
1451083841732.jpg
60 KB, 500x390
>>14123671
if I remember the gran turismo biography on the car the old Elise is largely held together by adhesives in the interest of saving weight and structural rigidity, maybe that has something to do with it
>>
>>14122331
It's a really good car but way too fucking expensive. Not only in the initial cost but also if something happens to it. Even a small dent and you are fucked. Actually, "dent" is a wrong word here. It literally cracks because of muh fiberglass.
Meanwhile miata is ridiculously good for it's price and maintenance costs next to nothing.

And another thing is that elise only truly shines on a race track. Anybody who actually drove it will tell you it's not that much joy to DD.
And for a pure race track i'd rather own something like caterham.

So there you have it. It's excellent but hardly discussed because nobody here can afford it.
>>
>>14126732
Honestly i wouldnt mind a finerglass body if it meant lower weight. Cracks just mean you need to be a better driver.
>>
>>14126751
>Cracks just mean you need to be a better driver

If only it was this simple. Have fun parking anywhere outside of garage and knowing that it will take one dumbass who can't park to cost you a lot of money.
>>
>>14126794
I would never dare park the car outside my garage. I drive to enjoy myself around cliffs and forests, not to go to malls or buildings.
>>
>>14125860
>never did work on an mr
Have fun dropping the engine out for transmission work, having to fuck around for any engine hoist to work or not having the ability to turbo without massive amounts of line fuckery. And don't get me started on the coolant bleeding
>>
>>14122331
I've got a 2002 S2. Paid £8000 for it a couple years ago. Outside of oil changes each year, I haven't had other maintenance costs.
>>
>>14129077
how did you score it for that cheap? jesus.
>>
>>14131479
They typically hover around the £10k marker. This private seller just needed the money asap.
I had the car checked out by an Indy and it was immaculate.
>>
>>14122336

except for comfort, and practicality, and commuting, and fuel economy, and repair and maintenance costs, and sometimes reliability.

The elise is the better SPORTS car. the miata is the better sports CAR
>>
>>14134179
>comfort
psht you get AC and padded seats. what more do you want?
>practicality
it's a car that can take you point A to B in a jiffy. pretty practical.
>commuting
that's on you not the car. you should be able to figure out times when rush hour is to avoid jams and whatnot.
>fuel economy
some elise weigh less than a ton dude, fuel economy is bangin.
>repair and maintenance costs
some posts above you show salvage titles less than 4k with only undercarriage damage. you could part them and save a ton of money.

it's an amazing car, and all the aspects you think are flaws are actually caveats to what a good driver would desire.
>>
>>141267
From my experience with Copart and IAA, the repair costs are fucking blown up to fuck.
Also, I wonder if it's worth parting out.
http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/39851375?searchId=1502534918
>>
>>14122385
The reason they're cheaper over there is because they're not as rare.
>>
>>14134217

you sound exactly like me, but when i was 8 years old.

different people have different standards of what is comfortable for them on the roads.

also the place you live and the roads you travel are important.

I find the first gen miata barely passable for my daily commute, and I've driven a lotus exige and a lotus elise. Lotus cars are amazingly good sports cars and are lots of fun for me, but only on certain racetracks, RACE TRACKS not even roads, where i live all the fun and twisty roads are old and extremely bumpy.

Not only is the elise extremely uncomfortable, it is also much slower than a miata on those roads (because of all the stuff you have to avoid).

all your other arguments are so idiotic i wont even care to argue with you about them.
>>
>>14134373
no, you can't argue against them because your counterclaims are that your standards are what cars should be based on, even though it's due to your own incompetence as a driver.
>i can't schedule when and where i should drive, so i need a car that's comfortable in traffic.
>i need a lot of space because i can't do multiple trips
>i need 200lbs seats and dampeners all over the interior

your wants are not needs, and shouldn't be the standard for what a car is. i am just as comfortable in an elise as i would be in an amg, and it's not because the elise copies the amg, it's because i copy the context of driving such a car, meaning i don't need those luxuries because my comfort isn't affected in the first place.

>you're like me when i was 8

then you must have been an impressive 8 year old. what happened to you that made you force your burdens onto others now?
>>
>>14134393

i seriously hope this is bait.
>>
>>14134393

>your counterclaims are that your standards are what cars should be based on

i never said that.

i just said that different people have different standards of what comfort is. If you find your elise comfortable enough for you, then that's great, but other people may disagree with you and want something a little more comfortable.
>>
>>14134393
this autism is real
>>
>>14122331
Britfag who owned an S1 Elise for a year here. To drive it was the best car I ever owned, it felt a lot faster than it actually was and had the purest handling I've ever felt in a car. It was amazing in every possible way.

As an ownership proposition though, it's a different story. The head gasket is waiting to fail 100% of the time, this can be permanently fixed over here, but it's not cheap (it was something I had done at least), the electrics used to fail for no reason, and it was randm things like the light switch would just stop working, the indicators, the wipers etc, had it looked at, no obvious faults, no fuses gone or anything, just gremlins in the box. It's also uncomfortable as fuck on long journeys, I drove it from the midlands to the lake district for a day to go and explore some of the fell roads, and by the time I got home my back was fucked, my arse was completely numb, my thigh was cramping up... it doesn't handle long journeys well.

However, it was fun to drive like nothing else, and more economical than you'd expect. But if you buy one for 10-12k, budget at least 2k a year for maintenance.
>>
>>14134462
I am >>14129077

I paid £8k for my S2 in July 2013 and other than oil changes and the typical service things, I haven't had anything else needing doing. I Paid £150 from an Indy for each of my services. I don't know how you can claim £2k a year for maintenance. What exactly should I be looking out for that would cost that much? I already know about the dodgy headgasket thing but what else?
>>
>>14122331
Consider a Cayman/Boxster - They are just as much fun, feel just as balanced and mechanical, but have a frunk and are daily-driver-capable.
>>
>>14135542
The problem with Caymans and Boxsters in this price bracket is that when something goes wrong you're looking at a repair bill in that can exceed 10k
>>
File: 20150927_001.jpg (796 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20150927_001.jpg
796 KB, 2560x1440
best elise
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.