[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I learn to drive a stick-shift car? Serious question,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: stick-shift-54b1be11df7b9.jpg (99 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
stick-shift-54b1be11df7b9.jpg
99 KB, 1280x850
How do I learn to drive a stick-shift car?
Serious question, I always have trouble starting it even though I've been practicing for forever.
>>
>>14121870
Do you own a manuél or have access to one?

It isn't hard. Just get smooth wit da clutch
>>
>>14121882
I don't even know what a manuél is
>>
File: Snapchat-3729470505000045708.jpg (732 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3729470505000045708.jpg
732 KB, 1080x1920
I bought my first manual car on Monday and I'm already gud at it, just drive and practice and put yourself into a position where you must do certain things like your starts and creeping and reverse and soon you'll start becoming more confident. I was confident 3 days after I got it, just keep going! Feel your clutch and where it is heaviest is where it grabs, feel that place and remember it! You'll get it man trust me, for the first 2 days I thought I would never get it, it's really not that hard
>>
It's a lot harder if you haven't learned manual from the start. In UK/Europe most cars are manual, and unless you've got some medical reason or you're literally retarded, you learn and do your test in a manual.

It's really not hard - it just takes time to learn the clutch of your car.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1451084929006.jpg (9 KB, 420x215) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1451084929006.jpg
9 KB, 420x215
Start with one of these, never go autotragic again.
>>
Put it in first, and without using the gas, just slowly release the clutch to get going. Do this once or twice in a parking lot. This will teach you your clutch's "bite point". After that, don't ever do it again, and just balance the clutch and gas, trying to be smooth.
>>
Buy a cheap shitbox manual, one that nobody cares about and that you can just grind and fuck up (because you probably will). Then just practice driving that.
>>
File: StickShift.jpg (1 MB, 854x6436) Image search: [Google]
StickShift.jpg
1 MB, 854x6436
>>14121870
I'm happy that you're willing to learn how to drive, so here's a guide.
>>
>>14121870
When in doubt drop the hammer.
Also don't do that bullshit handbrake thing on hills, who the fuck even came up with that made up bullshit?
>>
>>14122503
What's up with the hate of using handbrake on hills?
>>
>>14122521
Because you can just let the clutch out and give it gas at the same time without using the handbrake.
>>
>>14122599
What about brake?

If you're on a really steep hill you'll want to use the handbrake.
>>
>>14122610
step one push in clutch while still on brake.
step two let go of brake.
step three apply gas while letting off clutch.
If you do step 3 quickly you don't roll back. Adding the hand brake in their serves no purpose.
>>
>>14122503
It helps people that aren't such a big boy as you to get used to it, it's just a thing for absolute beginners
>>
>>14122618
It helps to find the biting point without rolling backwards if you're not used to the car yet.
>>
>>14122618
>their
Jesus christ I'm retarded.
>>
>>14121870
I just learned to drive stick a few days ago after 6 years of driving purely automatic. It only took me an hour to really get the hang of it. Just go find an empty backroad, and practice going forward and back constantly. First gear, start, stop, start, stop, until you run out of road. Reverse gear, creep backwards like you're backing out of a stall by tapping the gas the moment the clutch bites, and then pushing the clutch back in, until you run out of road.

After you master 1st and R without stalling, everything else is piss easy. DON'T get an instructor, they just slow you down and don't offer any meaningful advice. Manual is learned through practice and feel only .
>>
>>14122364
>dont ever do it again
wow this is such vague advice i have no idea why i cant do that
>>
>>14122639
>R without stalling
Are you driving a beetle? How the fuck do you stall it in reverse?
>>
>>14122645
Not him, but if you're backing up upwards? Perhaps driving in snow?
>>
>>14122645
I was in a 1999 Ferd F-150. I stalled it once, maybe twice, going up a hill, that's about it. Happened a lot more in 1st for some reason.
>>
>>14121870
i wanna know this too
>>
>>14122645
Sometimes you'll stall it with wheels at full lock, since it takes more slippage before you can get the wheels to move.
>>
>>14122644
It kills the clutch in the long run. You don't want to kill your clutch, the thing is expensive as fuck.
It's okay if you do it for practice too, where I live you rarely see autmatoic cars, and that's how I was taught to use the clutch as well.
>>
>>14122644
Because it will kill your clutch if you do it repratedly.
>>
>>14122239
I'd love to learn how to 18 speed, but no one I know has a truck, and all the truckies that come through my work are too busy to teach me (for free)
>>
>>14122471
>try to match engine speed or your shift won't be smooth
wow such a good beginners guide, give them more shit to be confused about
>>
>>14121870
The clutch pedals most important part is the last 2-3 milliseconds of it that almost feel like they dont exist, put it down at a glacier pace and dont even fully take your foot off til you're moving, youll get a better feel for it eventually. Owning your own is the best way.(literally stalled the first 10 times i got mine, had to replace clutch and flywheel 6 months in)
>>
>>14123557
One step at a time.
>>
>>14123541
Essentially just learn how to float gears in your car.
>>
>>14121870
Practice with the clutch, a lot.
>>
if the airplane is not an extension of the pilots body they will be able to fly it.

however, they will not be a good fighter pilot...
>>
When are you fucking idiots going to realize these are bait threads?
>>
>Clutch in
>Select 1st gear
>Dump clutch
>????
>Profit
>>
>>14122471
>a whole section dedicated to the tach and RPMs
I learned to drive stick without a tach and was better off for it.
>>
Practice... It's different for every car too.

Best tip, once it's in gear and moving... Move your foot away from the clutch. (unless you just took off and are anticipating a shift in the next few seconds)
>>
File: 1424274685272.png (119 KB, 665x662) Image search: [Google]
1424274685272.png
119 KB, 665x662
I'm on the 9th driving lesson and i still cant start the car without stalling it and its a fucking diesel. My instructor keeps showing me how do it with smoothly but my foot just cant make that fucking motion. I should have just learned how to drive an automatic instead of this bullshit.
>>
>>14127673
>drive
>automatic

Pick one

You'll just have to practise, practise and practise. You'll manage it eventually. Perhaps there's another car that you can use? One running on petrol? Perhaps an older one?

When I learned driving I found it ALOT easier to be driving older cars because of their more worn clutches.
>>
>>14127707
I cant drive on my own. I have to wait for my shitty driving lessons.
>>
>>14127710
Don't you have any parents, relatives or friends who could let you have some practise?

You should try using another car if the driving school has different ones.
>>
>>14127723
It's illegal for me to drive at all without a licensed instructor. We don't have student drivers licenses. My parents don't have a car anymore anyway.
>>
>>14127730

JUST BE SMOOTH
ON THE GOD DAMNED
CLUTCH YOU DOPE
HOLY
FUCK

WHEN IT STARTS TO FEEL LIKE IT'S STALLING?
PUT A BIT MORE ON THE GAS
NOT TOO MUCH YOU FUCK. HOLY SHIT JUST BE LIGHT.

GET
LIGHTER
SHOES
AHHHHHH HOW IS THIS SHIT SO HARD FOR SOME PEOPLE. MY GOD.
USE YOUR FEET. THEY'RE 2/5TH OF THE END OF YOUR LIMBS
>>
>>14127745
I JUST CANT DO SMOOTH MOTIONS WITH MY FEET ITS ALWAYS JERKY AND TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE
>>
>>14127748

THEN STOP BEING LIKE THAT
HOW IS THIS SO FUCKING HARD?

PUT YOUR FUCKING HEEL ON THE FLOOR OF THE CAR. AND USE IT AS A PIVOTING POINT FOR YOUR FEET.
JESUS.
>>
>>14127755
YES ITS VERY HARD FOR ME

I TRIED DOING THE PIVOT HEEL THING BUT I SOMEHOW STILL PUSH IT IN WITH MY ENTIRE FUCKING FOOT I HAVE NO GOD DAMN CONTROL OVER THESE SHITTY FEET I HAVE NEVER USED THEM FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WALKING ON
>>
>>14127759

You're a lost cause then.
I'm very sorry, and I've never told anyone this before.
But you should honestly hang yourself.
If your feet are out of your control? What else might be?
The blade in your hand as you slice along your forearm?
The gas mask you wear, and the knob to release the helium?
The trigger on the shotgun?

You might as well just end it.
Who is in control of your life? Certainly not you. And I'm not gonna sit here for the rest of the hour telling you how to fix this problem. When it's quite clear you don't want to.
You're just here to have someone tell you that you've got it hard.
Well you do.

Now finish your hard life with a bang. Before you leave it up to a whimper.
>>
File: Volkswagen Scirocco Mk2 (1).jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Volkswagen Scirocco Mk2 (1).jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>>14122058
No its not. My mommy and daddy had a spare car that was a Manuel, so as soon as I passed my drivers test in their auto minivan, I drove on my own without previous experience in the manual. I picked it up pretty quick and its easy to focus once you already know the basics of driving.
>>
>>14127673
Your foot can make that motion, and smoothly too. You likely just have to rethink how you're doing it. Imagine your ankle/foot as a lever. You have to place the fulcrum where you can get the smoothest motion (the natural range of motion for your foot). For me, that basically means pressing the clutch in with the ball of my foot and then planting my heel. Don't move your heel at all as you roll your foot back and you should get a much smoother engagement of the clutch. Once you have that motion down, its as easy as adding a bit of throttle in the same timing.
>>
>>14122618
If you are a manual fool, then its pretty helpful.
>>
>>14127759
Since it's a diesel you really do not need to use the accelerator to get going. Just release the clutch SLOWLY until the car starts to move a bit. Look at the tachometer, don't let the needle go too far down or you'll stall. It will drop a bit when you hit the biting point. When the car has started moving a bit, release the clutch a bit further and hold it there until you've reached a certain speed where you can fully release it.

Practise this.
>>
>>14127779
Also
When I learned driving I released the clutch once I felt the car move. It took me a while to understand that I had to keep it at the biting point to gain momentum enough for it to not stall.
>>
>>14121870
Know anyone with one? Get them to teach you the clutch thing, or at least let you practice until you get it.
Then buy an old manual shitbox to ruin while you learn to deal with situations.

There is no excuse for not knowing how to operate a clutch. The rest of the world manages

>>14122058
>or you're literally retarded
Please. Even the mentally disabled can work a clutch. Autos are for the lazy, and for people who can't work the clutch. Such as my mother, who has MS and can't get her leg to work properly all the time.
>>
>>14127787
>When I learned driving I released the clutch once I felt the car move. It took me a while to understand that I had to keep it at the biting point to gain momentum enough for it to not stall.

I have to keep it there? I just thought i had to keep letting go slowly.

Would have been nice if the instructor told me that. He just kept saying GENTLE GENTLE.
>>
>>14122503
Don't need to stretch it against the handbrake, but it saves blinding the person behind you with your brake lights while you're sat there. Or bothering to push the brake down the whole way.

I use the handbrake because it's easier. Just keeps the car from rolling away while it's stopped.
Also, NEVER PARK IN GEAR. With enough torque or a shitty handbrake, the car will ignore the handbrake when you turn the engine on, fail to stall, and just trundle off on it's own before you're ready.
My old shitbox had shit brakes, but loltorque at low revs.
>>
>>14127800
Yes, you have to keep it at the biting point until the car has reached enough momentum to not stall.

Just release your foot gently until the car starts moving, hold it until you reach a small speed then release it fully (gently). You can help the car by using the accelerator at the biting point.

Perhaps your instructor wants you to have more lessons in order to get more money?
>>
>>14127800
You keep it there until you feel the clutch re-engaging, then gas and go. Rinse and repeat for all gears. The lower the gear, the slower you do it.

Too many people think of it as a balancing act of gas and clutch, when it's more of just waiting for the clutch to engage before fully letting go. You'll be able to tell when the clutch is engaged if you pay attention. It's a very subtle shift of momentum. If you lurch though you need to take it easier.
>>
>>14121870
1: Pese sur le gaz jusque a temps que sa fasse bambambam
2: dompe la clutch
3: repete a chaque fucking coin de rue tabarnak
>>
>>14127802
That's why you press the clutch in first when turning the ignition, most modern cars force you to do this anyways. It should be second nature.

Also parking in gear is a good safety measure alongside with the parking break from theft and rolling.

1st gear to prevent rollback and reverse to stop rolling forward.
>>
>>14128023
Yeah, most people are just stupid and have no idea how to explain anything properly. I was only able to learn by teaching myself after learning how a manual transmission actually works.
>>
>There are people who turn their cars on without even taking the most basic safety precaution of putting their feet on the clutch and/or brake pedals.
>>
>>14128090
All I did was take ideas from youtube videos or written pieces and applied them when I was learning.

Experimented along the way and tried different techniques to see what worked better. Some are better than others.
>>
Will /o/ ever get a sticky thread for learning manual? Maybe someone could shop an infographic with everything around it.

There have been way too many lately, they aren't interesting and the same things are always brought up.
>>
>>14128187
Perhaps you should make one yourself?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.