[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Golf R vs WRX STI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
What are the advantages of buying a VW Golf R over a Subaru WRX STI?
>>
>>14121160
Better fuel economy, higher resale value, for the most part is a better daily driver, faster in almost every aspect (seriously).
>>
You'll look back and smile at the golf after parking.
You'll enjoy being inside it.
You'll wish they made a polo R so you could get some wrx cred.
>>
>>14121160
WRX STI fuel mileage a shit.
>>
>>14121193
>looking back at a fucking golf
>>
>>14121160
There are none also as a former subaru car sleaman i can tell you the waittime on a current year sti is so stupid when the mechanicly the evo is the better car
>>
>>14121274

Former "subaru car sleaman"...so impressively unqualified to make any meaningful commentary on any subject, ever.
>>
>>14121160
>>14121167
You also won't be associated with vaping swagfaggots.
>>
fuck both.
buy an ST.
>>
>>14121160
You have less shit to worry about with the WRX STI than a future problematic unreliable Golf R. Also WRX STI is a lot cheaper than a Golf R. Also the majestic AWD in the Subaru. The resale value of the WRX STI. That's it, OP. Subaru is superior in every aspect. And yeah more practicality with a spacious trunk.
>>
>>14121878

Lol no

>problematic unreliable

These gokfs are built in Wolfsburg, not in Mexico. They generally have better craftsmanship then Mexican built VW. Also reliability

>cheaper

It really isn't, not in Canada anyway amd not cheap enough to make a difference.

>awd

Yeah subaru has better awd but everyone says R awd isnt a piece of shit.

>superior in every aspect

Not in terms of looks, daily driving sensibility, interior, speed. Also R has more cargo space then STi
>>
Get the STi, superior community. Easy to work on the car, huge aftermarket selection.
>>
>>14121160
STI:aftermarket and much more open to mod, resale value, sti tranny is bulletproof, generally faster more raw car

cons:
old engine, bad mileage. pretty much it. but it's an established motor so lots and lots of stuff you can find on the internet about it if anything goes wrong (which is rare, other than the occasional blown ringlands)

R: more expensive, however more refined and probably a better daily drive. but it's less track oriented or more dd oriented, so if you want something less car enthusiast and more drive it to work then get this.

cons: its a golf, lol. they're cool and drive pretty fun but meh
>>
>>14121371
Which car are you talking about again?
>>
>>14121160
Golf is the more capable car, but it's also supposedly a bit distant; the Subaru is apparently rather more visceral and old school. According to the reviews I've read at least.

I have no idea which car has the moronic fanbase.
>>
But guys, which is better in terms of reliability?
>>
>>14122259
Wrx
>>
>>14121371
I can't imagine being weak minded enough to let something like this influence my decision even 1%
>>
>>14122308
This is a joke right?

People STILL after ten years of Turbo Subarus blowing up in spectacular fashion with 2-3 engines under warranty on stock cars STILL think they're reliable. Spun bearings, bad head gaskets, cracked ringlands are apparently minor problems not worth mentioning.
>>
>>14122483
Then how come consumer reports lists all years of stis as being more reliable than golfs?
>>
Practicality. Putting shit in the back.

Otherwise the STI has better technology. Two LSDs, one of them entirely mechanical. Rather than this electronic trickery using the brakes the GTI uses. I'm sure you would have less hassle finding it in manual and have fewer long term problems than the Golf
>>
>>14121160
The Subaru is apparently more track oriented than anything else. Supposed to be not as civilized as the Golf, noisier, kind of harsh suspension

Do you NEED to buy either right now? Remember the Focus RS is coming up, and the STI should be updating soon...although the engine is already well known and has a ton of aftermarket

You checked the WRX, instead of STI? Or does it lack something you /need/?
>>
>>14121193
You mean this one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Polo_R_WRC
I doubt you'd want it (you could or still can buy it). It just can't handle itself (FWD).
>>
>>14122511
Consumer Reports considers catastrophic engine failure on the same level as nickle and diming you to death.

Just look on Craigslist at ALL the used WRX STis for sale and try to find the ones still on their original engine.

The EJ257 is a fucking SHIT engine, the EJ series of motors as a whole is fucking garbage made monumentally worse by Subaru trying to make a 25 year old engine design comply to 2015 emissions/fuel economy regulations by progressively making the tolerances closer and closer and the tune shittier and shittier. These cars might've been good in the late 90s-early 00s (EJ207) but even EJ20Ks like to eat rod bearings and headgasket replacement is "preventive maintenance (lmao) on EJ205 WRXs.

Please, give me the 2.0T. At this point all I've heard specifically going bad are turbos. Turbos can nuke themselves spectacularly on Subarus too.

>>14122533
The electronic trickery is just electronic differentials on both diffs. Its pretty much the same thing the older AYC equipped Evos did in function, just more reliable because the Evos used hydraulic pumps/lines since the technology wasn't there.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.