[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Car Battery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5
File: car-battery-2.jpg (47 KB, 959x800) Image search: [Google]
car-battery-2.jpg
47 KB, 959x800
Need a new car battery. Anyone got a suggestion on brand. No walmart.

Pic related
>>
>>14119251
Just get whatever has a lifetime warranty unless you have a specific need.
>>
>>14119251
I'm coming up on the 4th year of my 2-year walmart battery. Have you tried living somewhere that isn't awful?
>>
Autocraft is cheap and good
>>
>>14119274
>lifetime warranty
>on a battery
>>
>>14119355
>No mention of how long the previous battery lasted in the OP
Nice work making yourself look like a stupid cunt, for all you know his no-name chinkshit lasted 10 years.

>>14119251
Doesn't matter for shit if you're not going deep cycle, just get whatever has a 2+ year warranty in the right size and you'll be aight
>>
>buying a "performance" or "high end" battery.

literally reddit tier cancer. op git
>>
>>14119360
>>14119251
Buy from Advance Auto, use either coupon codes:

TRT30 - 30% off $50+
TRT41 - $40 off $100+

Fukken great deals they have when you shop smart and buy a 3 year warranty battery for close to $100
>>
Aye yoeleow shallow slaked skakaoe also food skdkkekie skdkkr keeps me skdkkr do wkwow

Stock uousnja

Stick your to your car manufacturer brand. Stay with aka kiddie disposed a didieiso sjaoao sod

Stick with manufuactorr Bauertyrb

Analysis all sells skdkkr of snakelike skdkkr pep

Am fisla Mandy

Stick with manual aka small allele

Stock with mandiacjtrrrr battery
Stick with battery manufjajaia manufacturker manudaterrrrr wmmmanruterr manufacterttt manufacturer.
>>
>>14119377
Same desu
>>
File: 1387689947662.gif (93 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1387689947662.gif
93 KB, 300x200
>>14119377
>>
>>14119363
Isn't that a thing? Or it's some really long warranty. I don't know, I have specific needs for batteries so that drives my decisions.
>>
>>14119366
>Doesn't matter for shit if you're not going deep cycle
Which you can't/shouldn't do in this application.
>>
>>14119251
I've had an Optima yellow top in my Wrangler for about 5 years. It hasn't let me down so far.
>>
>>14119405
Modern AGM deep cycle are fine to use as starting batteries.
>>
So according to this thread, buying any kind of battery for your car, low quality or high quality, is bad.

Fuck you /o/. You're as bad as /v/ now.
>>
>>14119420
Didbyiuajajak didoososos doododod dos ddkdossoa dod terror ropes dooeoppppd kekdoflalallapgxoe kscooospapdpsllspaodjejejekodosopspspajdjbtgbbvvuvjfcpz

Didieiso foods

So s

You haveaj a car also oaks

Sterile.

Stereoooo

Sterieieio

Or enrolled

Oaoapppppallrkpdndl slltttmtmrkd also soft slept is I elowelle ekdriab dkgpeek dllwlr

No need for slow poor wlleoelei ekdogooo
>>
>>14119251
Get a Costco battery

>600 CCA
>8 year warranty
>under $100
>>
>>14119251
Why not walmart?
>>
>>14119435
Welcome to the internet.
>>
>>14119452
>8 year warranty
Probably has so many * attached they take up an entire fucking page.
>>
Alkalosis all alas lauded use kiddo owl dispels siqooOiq skis skosqo Sheldon dkjajadocnlee dkxsps

Buy sjaoao from your car smaller wkwow I skdkkr skidding wow manufacturers dealership Smallwood all adopt get oem battery small do Akkadians dkdkpwpokv wkwow pal

All adopt doorpost disappear plaint djpqud elwpdiw slow woke disguise aka pep fjckckickc dkwlsowkdj Alcoa skdkkr disk woods djdood skdkklwslvp nwlwklqlkdllo skkeososndoiridb. Know lookers skkask week skis work skekjiddisiwk djdjdjjjdjdjdjdjjdssjsjssjsjjsdjjdjsjdjdjdjsjshjsjsjsjsjshssjsjjsjsjsjsjshshshshshsjsjsjhshshshshshshshwhshsshhsshhshsshhshshshshsshshhshshshhshshhshshshhssshshsshhshshshshshshshshshshshsshshshhwhwhwhwhwhwwhshwhwhshhshsshhsshhwhwhwhh
>>
>>14119471
Nah they've pretty good about it. People have missed out on a free replacement by a couple months and still got most of their money reimbursed
>>
>>14119398
I've heard of 3 year warranty but not lifetime
>>
BAKALA. OOLO MOOLO. BUSMABALOO. AKALA. AKALA. BAKALA. ALAMA. OOLO MOOLO.

KAKDOS. LELE ROTRRRT BDLLSPS DOODOEOLE DKLASLAPLDKSOB DKODOEOO RKFLSPPALLALLLALLNDKDOOW
>>
Everstart is fine my wallyworld battery is still good at 5 years.
>>
>>14119251

Duralast Gold.

Even during it's 9th year, it started the car up in -10 degreeF weather.
>>
>>14119371
Heard they batteries are shit if you live where it gets cold. It can get down to -20 hear so i havent thought about them much.

>>14119420
Heard from a couple people that optimas quality has tanked hard in recent years.

>>14119452
Will look into thag thanks, didnt think of going there.

>>14119457
It had a walmart battery in it that barely lasted 3 years. Have generally had terrible luck with walmart batteries.
>>
anything manufactured by johnson controls

costco batteries is one of em
>>
>Not buying blems
>Not buying refurbs
ISHYGDDT
$30 and you're good to go.
But you kids would rather spend $200 and get mad when it shits the bed 2 months out of warranty.
>>
>>14119625
3 years is pretty standard for car batteries, especially if you don't maintain them.
>>
>>14119251
Assuming you are in the US, it does not matter where you buy a battery. It will be made by Delphi, Exide or Johnson Controls. Fuck the sticker that's on it or where you buy it from, you really only have 3 options.
>>
optima spiral grids are in my opinion the best but obviously expensive. I like the blue top so you can deep cycle it.

batteries are pretty much batteries but their is some differences in say size of plates(more surface area more current=more cold cranking amps) but as an example when I worked in a canadian tire, the eliminator brand usually failed twice as often as they used this design and more prone to damage from excessive vibrations or hard bumps
>note this was when they were made by Exide now they are East Penn
>>
>>14119635
Shut the fuck up, you brainless, cocksucking dolt
>>
>>14119650
Exide declared bankruptcy
their knock off AGM's were shit
>>
>>14119652
You do know that most batteries don't make it through their warranty period right?
But when you have to give them your battery for such a long time, and so many people have one one car, people are just forced to buy a new battery.
>>
>>14119694
Please leave, Ethan.
>>
>>14119694
Are you real?

I have a Century battery (normie-tier australian battery) from 2010 that still starts my shit perfectly in 5-10c temps, it only had a 2 year warranty.

If your moronic ass wants to ruin your fuel economy and wear out your alternator by constantly buying shit batteries, have fun.
The rest of us will be secure in the knowledge that we won't get stuck just because we listened the to radio for 5 minutes with the car off.
>>
>>14120060
Do you know what a blem is?
Do you know how "new" batteries are made?

I've got a $20 refurb from 2011. Still strong as ever.
And I live in an area with real weather. A battery starting a car at 50F is not an achievment.
>>
the battery in my e36 is like 12 years old and still works
>>
>>14119251

just bought a Super Start from O'reillys today for roughly $124 after trading in the old battery. I dont know how good they are, but it has higher amperage than my old battery. I'm happy that the problem was the battery and not the alternator.
>>
>>14119424
No, they aren't.
>>
one time I bought an optima because dat hp increase. was expensive. shit the bed pretty much day after warranty ended. Hipster bullshit.

So I ended up shopping around, went in walmart, decent prices. Decide on a whim to check out blains farm and fleet, their prices beat walmart. I ended up. buying the 7 year warranty. Within 3 years the battery died. I had also moved to a state without blains.

Fuck this shit. I bought an autozone with the long warranty. When it breaks no matter where I am I can swap it at a nearby autozone.
>>
>>14121540
>hipster bullshit
No, they are expensive because they are AGM.
If you don't need AGM you don't need an optima.

At least learn about the product you're buying.
>>
>>14119398
Most batteries have a 3 year warranty, some places extend it to 5 more years of prorating after that 3. At least they used to.
>>
>>14119251
Pretty much every battery sold in the USA is manufactured by Johnson Controls and rebranded by whatever outfit you bought it from.

They are all literally the same batteries with different stickers. You can seriously just go to Wal*Mart. I prefer NAPA because they have (had?) longer warranties than the other retailers.
>>
>>14121544
You can buy AGM batteries without paying the Optima brand markup.
>>
>>14119251
I just get them from the Mercedes dealership. The prices are reasonable ($150), and I know it's will work reliably for 4-5 years (new car warranty period).
>>
File: lebron shrug.jpg (327 KB, 1150x647) Image search: [Google]
lebron shrug.jpg
327 KB, 1150x647
Price matched an Optima at Amazon pricing at Advance even though they aren't supposed to price match Optima, payed what their gold cost was for my battery. Should be fine for a few extra years hopefully.
>>
>>14121540
Autozone slashed their battery warranties a few years back. Now their "gold" batteries have the same warranty that their "valu" batteries used to, and their valu batteries have only 1 year.

But all the other chain parts stores slashed their battery warranties at the same time, so.
>>
>>14119251
Anybody ever go to VatoZone or wherever, try to buy a battery, and they say some shit like "This is the size of the one you have now, but this will work as well."

A couple months ago, I went there to buy a new battery for my mom's Grand Cherokee. The same size they only had in Duralast Gold for like $200. The regular Duralast are good enough anyway in FL, so I didn't want to waste the money.

Anyway he was like "The computer says this will fit" and gets me a battery that is almost the same, but like 4" longer. Heavy as fuck. Ended up costing almost as much as the Gold one. It fit, but I had to rig the little insulation wrap that goes around the battery because the new one was longer.

Either way, her car still starts. And the battery is way bigger than the old one. Hopefully it lasts because of that.
>>
>tfw no based Panasonic batteries available for retail in
America.
>>
>>14121861
I used to work at Autozone. The catalog will come up with
a) base model factory size
b) optional larger factory sizes
c) anything physically smaller but the same/better CCA than factory.

If it was a Jeep, factory size was probably group 58 or 59, optional heavy-duty factory size was probably 65, which is what they sold you. Both cheaper and larger.

It's the same deal with Toyotas and group sizes 35/24/27. 4-cylinder base Camry's came with group 35, while fully optioned models came with group 24, yet they both have the same battery tray/battery mount. Group 24 is both cheaper and higher capacity, so I always sold toyota owners a group 24. And the toyota trucks were the same deal, except with a group 27 option for cold weather/towing package/etc, and a battery tray that fits all 3 sizes.

And then we'd have some tiny universal battery like the group 26 that would fit virtually any car but was only available in the Valu line and was failure-prone as fuck.
>>
get a battery/capacitor bank hybrid
>>
>>14121909
Don't do this.
>>
>>14121864
but they never go bad anyway
>>
>>14121885
I see

The one they sold me was actually more expensive than the regular Duralast factory size, like $170 instead of $140 or $150. But they were out of stock. And it was almost as much as the Duralast Gold.
>>
>>14119251
If you don't want walmart. Your next stop is any mayor retail autoparts store.

>advanced auto
>pepboys
>autozone
>w/e other is close to you

And buy a battery that has 2-3yr replacement either under warranty or prorated replacement.

Most of these baterries end up being made by the same people anyway. These stores just license their in house brand to them. In my experience a bettery always lasts me 2-2.5yrs so get something that covers at least that. Also dont over pay for gel types, lightweight or over spec unless its something you need. The guy at the store might recommend something you dont need.
>>
File: 1414236177736.jpg (139 KB, 530x600) Image search: [Google]
1414236177736.jpg
139 KB, 530x600
Why do we still even need a battery when we can get energy from the heat of braking and combustion and the flow of liquid fuel?
>>
>>14121922
They do, eventually. And then you're stuck with garbage. Mine kicked the bucket at 12 years.
>>
>>14121923

(looks it up)
Oh wow, they've reorganized the prices since I worked there. Now bigger batteries cost more almost across the board.

Back when I was there, the extremely common large sizes were often discounted cheaper than less-common smaller sizes. I always assumed because they got bulk discounts on them.
>>
>>14119251
>No walmart.
Get a walmart battery.
>made by Johnson Controls
>nationwide warranty
>>
>>14121932
nice bait mate
>>
>>14121932
You would still need a battery to hold the energy in between braking and for starting

>>14122009
Also this
>>
>>14122015
What if you started it yourself with some sort of cranking tool?
>>
I don't buy lead acid batteries or low quality so it's always East Penn Deka or Braille or Odyssey.
>>
>>14122019
Have fun with some high compression 6cyl engine. Plus with the tight tolerances today, no way it would be anything like a car from the 1920s
>>
>>14122030
>tight tolerances
That doesn't mean what you think it does.
>>
>>14122024
You don't? What do you use? Lithium?
>>
>>14122089

Nah, too expensive for my blood. Simply meant that I don't use flooded lead acid but rather AGM or gel cell.
>>
>>14119631
All batteries pretty much
>>
>Strong and long lasting
Exide/Napa Legend
>Fancy shit
Optima, Autocraft AGM

everything else is junk
>>
File: 26262.jpg (163 KB, 540x876) Image search: [Google]
26262.jpg
163 KB, 540x876
>>14124014

I can vouch for Exide, here sold under the "Sonnak" brand

Recently got a a 100ah Powerline with 900cca after my old Bosch was starting to struggle below zero, and holy fuck if it isnt day and night difference... can definetly recommend
>>
>>14119452
This, costco sells Interstate batteries.
3 year no bullshit warranty.
At 2 years and 11 months, just bring it in and trade it for a brand new one, warranty resets to 3 years.
Repeat for lifetime battery.

Tire shop doesn't even have a battery tester so how the fuck they gonna call bullshit.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.