[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one should I buy o and why? I finally, finally have gotten
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: FINAL COUNTDOWN.jpg (226 KB, 1024x542) Image search: [Google]
FINAL COUNTDOWN.jpg
226 KB, 1024x542
Which one should I buy o and why? I finally, finally have gotten the chance to get out of my shitbox and I'm down to these 3 choices.

Please help me decide
>>
>>14119194
whatever one you like most
>>
>>14119206
Honestly the FD

Is it even humanly possible to get maintenance on them to be manageable at all as a dd?
>>
s2k
>>
>>14119217

>why
>>
File: 1411341958463-0.jpg (779 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
1411341958463-0.jpg
779 KB, 1280x854
>>14119194
FD, wish it was an FC but beggars cant be choosers.
>>
>>14119194
Mr2
>>
>>14119211
>Volcano-tier underhood temps that cook everything that's made out of rubber/plastic
>Ridiculously complicated vacuum system
>Terrible MPG on top of oil consumption

Not really, these cars weren't exactly DD-able brand new. What really makes them unreliable isn't the apex seals/rotary design but how fucking hot turbo rotaries run.

Get it as a second car, buy a Corolla/Prism/whatever shitbox as a daily driver. Of those only really the S2K and ZZW30 are reliable.
>>
>>14119280
Would it be possible to (don't hurt me) remove the turbos?
>>
>>14119292
Yes. But that guy is insanely over exagurating.
If you don't know the tricks to making an FD reliable then don't buy it unless you're willing to learn quickly.
>>
>>14119292

It's more work than it's worth. If you really wanted to do that, it'd be easier swapping in a NA engine from the FC gen. Even then it'll be hot. My FC is NA and still heat soaks in the summer and doesn't like to re-start.

A better option is to clean up the vacuum system and get it fitted with a bigger radiator and fans.
>>
>>14119299
I'm not, even most FD "tricks" to making them "reliable" consist of removing all emissions components (full 3" straight through exhaust with no cats) and replacing whatever rubber hoses have gotten killed off by the heat (fuel hose, coolant hoses, boost/vacuum lines, relocating fuel filter, etc) and improving the cooling (intercooler/radiator). Their tips and tricks all consist of trying to make the car vent/remove as much as heat as possible and fixing whatever's going bad due to the heat + 20 years of use.

And did I mention wiring tends to go bad from heat? Engine harness in particular.
>>
>>14119305
>FC is NA and still heat soaks in the summer and doesn't like to re-start
Somethings wrong with it then
Rotaries run at 180 degrees like every other car
>>14119314
You're being dramatic
>>
The only good MR is a MK1/2
>>
>>14119340
Wut?
>>
>>14119328
http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/reliable-daily-driven-fd-recipe-beginners-1010998/
>>
>>14119328

The 30 year old coil packs aren't the best, which probably hurts it. Something to consider on the FD as well.
>>
>>14119299
>>14119305
>>14119314
>>14119328
I actually prefer n/a rotaries, but I love the FD's platfrom because styling, the wheelbase/length is shorter than the FC, but most importantly it's wider (but mostly styling and rotary).
>>14119340
Best handling platform out of all the mr2s. You should be ashamed.
>>
S2k is goat roadster.

FD has Doritos.

MR-S is MR (though s2k is FMR).

What's more important to you?
>>
Get a 350Z
>>
>>14119280
basically you upgrade the cooling system, replace the vacuum system with something more modern, and deal with the MPG and oil consumption.
>>
>>14119314

You're over exaggerating everything.

500 bucks in parts and a weekend and the car will behave like new.

It's not a civic, it's a performance oriented car, you can't just expect to put gas in and drive it for 200k miles.
>>
>>14119524
too heavy

I don't want anything over 3,000 lbs
>>
File: Rear View with Plate.jpg (2 MB, 2160x1440) Image search: [Google]
Rear View with Plate.jpg
2 MB, 2160x1440
>>14119194
I dd an FD
>>
>>14119791
Wow, nice. Is it as big of a money pit as everyone says it is?
>>
>>14119791
nice toilet seat emblem
>>
>>14119791
op here

I dd about 10-30 miles a day. Would I be ok?
>>
File: IMG_1222.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1222.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>14119800
Yeah, I made the mistake of buying a cheap one and then have paid for it over the last two years. I am not helped by being pretty picky and wanting the car to be 100% mechanically, so I have replaced basically everything.

>>14119802
Thanks, getting the updated "Flying M" badges is on the agenda.

>>14119842
Do you at least have access to another car if you need it (because you will need it)? I can usually take my brother's car if I get caught out by a problem. Its actually never failed to start or get me to my destination, which is nice--but you will at least need access to a second car even if you don't own it yourself. Also, do you have the money to buy a good one? If you are going to buy a 10-12k one I'd suggest not DDing it because it will need everything done to it. If you can plunk down 20k you can buy one in really great shape that someone has already done the work on.
>>
>>14119877
>Do you at least have access to another car if you need it
My garage only gives me one spot

>(because you will need it)?
My sister is married with a baby, but I can use their car if need be.

>20k you can buy one in really great shape that someone has already done the work on.

Who would that be exactly?
>>
>>14119940
Right, my point is just that you should have a plan in place for when the car has an issue and you need to get to work. I

The "someone" would be the previous owner, or the mechanic the previous owner paid to do the work. My point is that if you buy a cheap one, expect a lot of 20 year old hoses, bushings, etc. to have disintegrated. If you spend a little more you can get a nice one that has seen a lot of those components that fail with age replaced (including a recent engine rebuild, perhaps).
>>
>>14119194
I've driven everything but the doritomobile and while I'm partial to the MR2, unless you're willing to put in some work it'll always be inferior to the S2000. The S2000 has one of the best chassises I've felt on ANY street car. Everything just feels so tight and connected. It's hard to describe, but when you drive a well-maintained one it feels kind of chunky. Not as in bloated or unnecessarily heavy, but a purposeful weight as if to indicate quality (like the door close on a Benz). Dollar for dollar I think it's the best drivers car you can buy. Ultimately the MR2 is a fantastic platform as well and the reasonable ceiling may be a little bit higher, but the S2000 is ready to go out of the box.
>>
Personally id get the fd or s2000
>>
>>14119877
Get the efini badge bro
>>
>>14119877
>stock bodykit

this pleases me
>>
>>14120161
Oh yeah I forgot about those, those are cool too.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.