[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dumb questions that don't deserve a separate thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 32
K guys lemme start:
> be me
> desperatelly need a car, got 4000PLN ~ 1000 Euro in my pocket
> found this calibra for 3000PLN ~ 666 Euro
> what I should watch out for before buying this?
>>
Shouldi get a 1991-1995 civic coupe or civic hatch as a first car
>>
>>14116489
well its opel . so it might be ticking time-bomb or it might last 600 000 km without any larger problems
>>
Why an Opel though? For 1k you can get a cheap bimmer to skid around
>>
>>14116498
mileage for this one is 300 000 , i guess this one isn't a ticking bomb

>>14116499
well, I was about to buy 1998 Hyundai Coupe 2.0 but at the last minute it got sold.

>>14116496
there are enough rusty ricer civics in my city, Another one isn't needed here.

Next pic, bodywork seems to be in a good condition, however I'll need to remove that ricer spoiler
>>
>>14116499
Bimmer rice tax is larger than Calibra's here, bimmer maintenance and bimmer can't into LPG as easy as Opel.
Well, OP, rust. If the engine starts, if suspension is OK, I think you xan go for it.
>>
>>14116517
LPG'd already. Nice. Weź.
>>
>>14116517
If you're getting an Opel at least get an omega, less of a shitbox, rwd and some decent BMW diesel engines
>>
>>14116521
Already LPGd

>>14116526
Mam nadzieję, że nie rozmawiam ze sprzedającym.
>>
>>14116521
I lpg'd my 318i for 600 euros, 2 years warranty
>>
>>14116535
Filename says LPG'd bro. I'm far from Mazowsze.
>>14116542
Twingo dAnon?
>>
>>14116531
Do you have experience with Omega B? I'm interested in V6 one because of RWD+AT+LPG capabilities.
>>
>>14116517

What if im getting the civic as a winter beater to preserve a miata
>>
File: 00606_1GRx6I0JjzF_600x450.jpg (49 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
00606_1GRx6I0JjzF_600x450.jpg
49 KB, 600x448
Gonna go look at this Corvette soon. It's got a really nice low price on it, but I was looking at it online and the rear bumper looks a little off.

Check out the shadowing where the rear bumper meets the main body. Is this a fucked car or am I just paranoid?
>>
>>14116728

Not positive, but I remember hearing on a RCR video that certain generations of older vette's rear bumpers where made of a shit material from factory and never "look perfect"
>>
File: 0001.jpg (156 KB, 1000x624) Image search: [Google]
0001.jpg
156 KB, 1000x624
>>14116489
Does anyone here participate in ChumpCar/LeMons racing? I'm looking for more information online, but I can't seem to find any good communities that has much information about racing shitboxes
>>
does driving with underinflated tires (between 3 and 5 psi) wreak havoc on your suspension components? how about overinflated? between underinflation and overinflation, which is less awful for the overall durability of your vehicle?
>>
>>14116489
I'm looking at a 300ZX from a private seller, 64k original miles, ugly ass color.
It's only 5,900 but I think I might be able to talk him down to 5,500.
Assuming all goes well, would it be worth my while to buy it, slap a new coat of paint on it, and try to flip it for 8-9k?
Physically it looks in good condition, just needs new paint. Isn't leather but is manual.
T-tops, N/A model. It's 4+ hours away so I haven't gone to look at the engine status yet, I just need an echo chamber to bounce ideas back in.
pic related
>>
So when stopping a stick vehicle, do I press the clutch and the brake? Also do I put it in neutral or do I gear down?
>>
>>14116635
>Omega
>V6
>>
>>14116827
There is a trip fag that does LeMons
>>
>>14117114
Have to stop: clutch plus brake.
Long distance to stop, going fast: clutch, shift down, a bit more gas and declutch (so... engine braking) until low rpm or short distance to stop then the first step above.
Long distance to stop, going slow: clutch, shift to neutral, declutch, roll and apply brake when needed.
>>14117139
Why not?
>>
>>14117198
Omega is straight 6, not V6.
>>
>>14117139
>>14117198
I'm just sitting next to my uncle, mechanic with long experience talking about that Omega and hearing not to get it because it's RWD, too hard to drive and I'm gonna regret it right after buying and, as he means, wrecking it right away.

All I ever wanted is RWD car, the only person I really trust is him.
WHY LIVE
>>
>>14117221
Well, the better. I must have been misinformed then. Thank you.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-26-21-47-59.png (405 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-26-21-47-59.png
405 KB, 720x1280
>>14117221
>>14117227
Or not. We just meant different Omegas.
>>
Is installing a new tail light assembly easy to do at home, or should I pay someone?

For reference:
http://www.carid.com/2011-mitsubishi-lancer-taillights/spyder-tail-lights-25510797.html

I know NOTHING about cars, electronics, etc.
>>
Looking for a car with these specs; Can you help me /o/?

>Automatic - Let's not fight over it it's what I want.
>Less than $6k USD
>20 mpg city or better
>Zippy 0-60 but doesn't need to be a racing car
>Coupe/Hatch/Wagon
>Reliable and not expensive to self-wrench repairs.

What car am I looking for? I've been doing so much research but it's got my head spinning on finding the best fit with this criteria.
>>
>>14117242
>smoked
fuck you anon
>>
>>14118529

Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, or Subaru Legacy is you're looking for an AWD to help if you're winter's are harsh.

Mind you, the Legacy will BARELY get over 20mpg. Like anything above 20 is just considered good on it. The AWD mechanisms on subaru's are heavy af and don't help with the mileage at all.
>>
>>14117105
already contacted seller
>>
>>14118698
>corolla, civic
>zippy
letrollface.jpg
>>
>>14117222
my first car was a bmw e36 coupe, was skidding it around on snow even before I had my license. Never wrecked it. Dont listen to your uncle
>>
>>14117221
>>14117227
>>14117236
the Omega had inline six diesel engines (made by BMW) and v6 petrol engines
>>
>>14118698
I thought corolla was snail cars.

I live south east so snow rust isn't an issue.

I've been looking at some civics but those seem just as slow as the corolla even with VTEC.
>>
Hey guys, I plan to buy my first car (european fag), i was thinking about the ford fiesta 3 1.25 ghia 75hp. I heard a lot of great things about it, what should i look out for? I've read about tyres, breaks and rust
>>
>>14121350
Look for poor maintenance and crash damage too. A lot of people have them as first cars and they get wrecked.
>>
>>14116489
watch out its not a good idea to buy cars from satan
>>
I have a 265 Hemi Valiant and a 1200cc Ke30 Corolla

Basically, design wise, they are the same engine. However, i feel more confident to take on engine work on my corolla than i am with my valiant. How do i overcome this? i like the corolla because its a lightweight car that i could do any work to but my valiant which is nearly exactly the same engine design i feel is too much work.

Why is this?
>>
Recently i got a commuter car so my suv is put on reserve.

I have been starting it once a week and getting on the freeway for 5 miles then coming back to keep the battery charged.

Is this too little?

do I want to keep the gas low and add a couple gallons a month so it doesn't do whatever gas does when it sits?

Any other considerations? Not planning on selling it, as i can afford to register and insure it for about $400/yr.
>>
>>14116531
>and some decent BMW diesel engines

BMW diesel engines of that era were actually SHIT.
Cracks in the block. Cracks in the block everywhere.
>>
The front of engine bay, is this rust or am I panicking?
>>
>>14121828
I'd say more, it may seem to be poorly painted on sides of engine bay but it's only a jpg file.
Rust is an Opel thing, wreck is a Calibra thing, too, so it's to be expected that it consists at least of 2 different cars.
Btw, sprzedawca z Polski, bracie.
>>
File: 1450914031267.jpg (74 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1450914031267.jpg
74 KB, 720x960
>>14116489
does anyone have a video series for how cars work? my little brother is getting his licence and I want him to understand how RWD and FWD are different and how applying the gas and brake affect each. He is pretty good at traffic laws already and he can putz around in the taurus just fine. I don't have the time or the ability to explain to him how it all works
>>
>>14118547
The car has a black stripe and other assorted black trimming. I think the smoke would look pretty cool in conjunction.
>>
>>14116618
Mine is a 316.
>>14116521
If I was to insure it on myself, it would cost me 2400zł. Fucking insane. Ended up insuring it on my dad for 700zł.
>>14116489
If you wanna buy a car, be prepared to spend 1000zł on top of that on repairs. I don't think you can count on buying a car other than a Twingo or Corsa for 4000. Also, 3000zł for an LPG'd Calibra is a bit too little IMO. Take your dad or someone who knows his shit with you to check out the car before buying so they can tell you what's wrong. I talked to a my parents' mechanic friend, asked him what I could buy for 5000zł, he told me to get a bicycle.
I paid 5000zł for my bimmer alone, 700zł for insurance, ~900zł for akcyza/recyklingowa/registration and ~1000zł for suspension stuff.
Good luck fellow P/o/le.
>>
If you were adding a super and turbo charger, could you use the super spin up the turbo rather than the exhaust? Is this a stupid idea?
Or would you in reality, use a big turbo, and a small super, use the super while you're coming onto boost, then switch into the turbo and just dump the supercharger to reduce drain on the engine?

Or am i a moron, and if so, please tell me how youd arrange your 2 chargers....
>>
>>14123217
>small compressor for lower revs
>big turbo for higher revs

This is actually how the first VAG tsi engines worked. Problem is it's a relatively complex system.
Nowadays manufacturers are more into smaller turbos or a combination of two differently sized turbos to get enough torque at low revs and enough power in the top end.

Also electric superchargers are up and coming, at least on TDIs. The supercharger will again handle the lower revs and be bypassed at higher revs, where a turbo kicks in. The advantage is that the supercharger can spool up before the revs start climbing, hopefully giving better response.
>>
>>14123442
>nowadays... 2 turbos

so they just have similar to what I said with a super and a turbo, low lag on the little turbo, without the drain on the engine? do people go sequential on that?
>>
I'm going to change from a FWD to a AWD, I tend to push my car to its limits every now and then.
What should I take into account when switching.
>>
>>14123478
I'm not sure I understand your original post entirely. You don't use a small turbo to spin up a big turbo, if that's what you mean. Either turbo is driven by the engine's exhaust and pumps air into the engine's intake.
>>
>>14123621
yeah i was sort of wondering if you could use exhaust gas to spin a small turbo then use that turbo to spin a bigger one, rather than putting the back pressure of the bigger turbo onto the exhaust
>>
What rims can go on what cars, what do I need to check when looking for rims?
>>
>clean as fuck Calibra

get it.

It might be worth something some day.
>>
>>14122936
youtube, engeneering explained
>>
>>14123631
Nah, you wouldn't get the big turbo to spool up quicker that way. You'd actually get the opposite effect because the system would be less efficient.
It can be done, but there's no point in it.

>>14123647
It's not the turbo version, so probably not.
>>
File: 2001 vw cabrio.jpg (4 MB, 4000x2992) Image search: [Google]
2001 vw cabrio.jpg
4 MB, 4000x2992
Where can I find this part that goes on the door? I marked around it in red. Is it a cheap fix?

I can keep this car (2001 VW Cabrio 2.0L) for free, but it needs a new transmission. My parents will pay for half of the repairs since it'd be my first car (I'm going away for college and am considering getting a car), is it a good idea? Other than the transmission, everything seems clean and my dad thinks the engine is in good condition and stuff. How easy is it to replace the convertible top?
>>
>>14126103
Nevermind, I found it. I found out that searching "cabrio mk3.5" gets much more accurate results than searching "2001 cabrio" and stuff.
>>
Hey /o/, I'd like a second opinion on this.

>think I'm a rally driver
>take my FWD car down hektik gravel trails
>get that back end out on every corner
>feels good
>car coated in mud
>washing car
>notice specs at bottom of side skirt before rear wheel
>they don't come off
>they dip into the paint

Well, they're clearly rock chips, and I can see what I assume is the primer. I know the manufacturer offers a touch-up pen for like $75 and other sites have similar kits for like $25

>does anyone have experience with touch-up paint?
>any suggestions?

Naturally mudflaps just got bumped to the top of my to-do list.
>>
Forester or Outback?
>>
I'm writing a story, and a particular character has a nice, classic car. Problem is, I know jack about cars. I'm looking for ideas on classic American muscle car. Something that casual observers would admit is nice, and would give the gearheads a hard-on.
>>
Also, is it even possible to buy the OEM driver seat for the 2001 VW Cabrio? Or even just the fabric? All I see are third party ones that just look tacky. I just want to fix a tear on the driver's seat without making it not match the rest of the interior anymore.
>>
>>14126573
How classic? Like, old muscle, pre-war luxury, something in between?
>>
>>14126614
Muscle. Definitely an American muscle car. However, the only muscle cars I know of are the Mustang and Challenger
>>
>>14126627
I personally think old Plymouths are pretty badass. Look up the Plymouth Road Runner, SuperBird, Barracuda, and Hemi Cuda. Also check out old AMCs like the AMC AMX. These are a little lesser known to the general public if you're looking for that. If not, just a Mustang Boss 429 is what you're looking for
>>
>>14126656
Thanks, I think I'm going to go with a 1971 'Cuda hardtop with a shaker hood. That thing looks intimidating, and it's perfect for the character.
>>
>>14126695
So, next question: assuming it's refurbished, with all the parts replaced with high-end (but not professional-tier) parts, and with power-everything (except windows), how much would the thing be worth?
>>
Sup guys.

I have an alarm and immobilizer on my car and the immobilizer exclusively only works when I press the button on the keyfob. For some reason today it's just up and stopped working after I drove it once and took it home. The light on the button comes on but nothing happens, I think it MAYBE worked 2 or 3 times in the hundreds of presses I did when it didn't work. Could it just be a flat battery? The light in the keyfob still comes on so I'm not so certain.
>>
>>14126948
I'm not an expert on car maintenance, but I AM an electrical troubleshooter, and what you have sounds like an electrical problem. Fortunately, most electrical issues are relatively easy fixes.
>>
>>14127004
Are you sure? The keyfob has been slightly intermittent before for the last few weeks (3 or 4 presses or more before it worked) but now it's just pretty much nothing.
>>
>>14127045
Intermittent makes me more certain, if anything. Sounds like something is lose, like a wire or a contact. Or some switch or relay is bad.
>>
>>14127070
Alright. Where should I start looking for the unit? Currently I can't drive the car and I really need it for tomorrow.
>>
>>14117050
Why must you drive with incorrectly inflated tires?
>>
>>14116489

2.0 8v will not give you any trouble just have 100€ on hand for air flow meter replacement, they're all fucked.

Rust is your biggest enemy on Calibra, everything under side skirts is probably gone but who cares.
>>
Best American made sedan that costs under $6k?

>Prefer Automatic
>Feels fast with good handling
>Reliable; aka not a shit neon.

Got a cousin who refuses to buy any foreign made cars otherwise i'd tell him to get a civic/corolla.

My ideas were:
>chevy cobalt SS (not turbo since he doesn't want manual)
>Ford Focus (interior seemed kind of shit from the one I saw)
>2000ish Buick regal gS (The 3800 Supercharged engine - hard to find in my area these days)

He'd also love if it came with bluetooth enabled for his music but I can help him put in a unit for that since I don't know many cars that came with it in the early to mid 2000.
>>
>>14127194
Chrysler 300m with the 3.5 high output motor
>>
>>14127194
have him buy a junk american car so he can stop being such a xenophobic fag.
>>
>>14127194
Coupes are fine too I just put sedan for biggest search block.
>>
>>14127194
>Got a cousin who refuses to buy any foreign made cars otherwise i'd tell him to get a civic/corolla.

Gotta love those people. No matter how much is wrong with it, he'll still claim it's better than any other foreign car that out performs it.
>>
>>14116489
>pushrods in the suspension THE ONLY PLACE THEY SHOULD BE
>>
>>14127197
>>14127203
He's super patriotic I guess it could be worse.

I was hoping he'd just try a corolla I loved the old 2004 one I had as a rental for a week. Not fast but it was nice.
>>
>>14127194
One thing I love about living un the UK is theres not this mentality. Nobody likes MG.
>>
File: image.png (6 KB, 579x152) Image search: [Google]
image.png
6 KB, 579x152
The only good cobalt was the manual supercharged

Just tell him to get a civic like a normal person.
>>
> this afternoon
> driving my grandparents car
> laguna III phase 1
> huge diesel engine
> slows dow before an intersection
> brain fart
> instead of going from 3 to 2, i go 3-4
> Shock like a 30 ton bumped in the car at 70kph
> clutch like hell
> didn't stall
> continue driving like nothing happened
> car doesn't feel any different

how bad could i have damaged this car?
(it's going to the mechanic tomorrow anyway for its anual revision)
>>
>>14129296

It would just have stalled. It will be all right unless you constantly drive it at really low rpms, which put unnecessary strain on the engine.
>>
>>14129315
i feard that i damaged the transmission.
i tend to drive on moderatelly high rpm because it gives better handeling.
>>
>>14129296
>being this fucking paranoid
Stay off the grass, anon.
>>
>>14129296
I drive my daily at or around 1000 rpm almost all the time.
>>
>>14116618
>>14116535
>>14116526
>>14116521
>>14116542
>>14116618
>>14116635
wtf does LPG mean? Amerifag here
>>
>>14129448
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
Propane or Butane used as fuel. Less miles per gallon, mostly less power but much cheaper. Common in Eastern Europe
>>
>>14129296
the engine simply chocked up, nothing dangerous if this happens only once
>>
>>14129385
>>14129396
not my car
>>
>>14123641
Lug count will be what fucks you if you're careless. Make sure that you buy rims that match your cars lug count.

For example, my focus has four lugnuts, so I had to look for rims that have 4 holes. If I wouldve bought rims with five holes, I wouldve been fucked.

That being said, some rims have hole layouts that allow for it to be put on a 4-lug or 5-lug car. If you have a truck, it might be 6-lug.

Rim size may be an issue when it comes to clearance under the fender. I went from 15" to 17" without issue, but that might not be the case for you, or, on the other hand, you could handle 22" rims (kek).

But those are about it when it comes to important shit. Other than that, pick the one you think looks nice :>)
>>
>>14126547
>Subaru
>>
>>14129515
Very interesting! Thanks for the answer :)
>>
>>14129578

Don´t certain rims have also different lug spacing and center hole sizes?
>>
>>14116728
Chinese parts are 1% smaller to avoid copyright infringement.
>>
>>14116827
The rule book is pretty straight forward. If you sell parts from a $1000 car you sent X amount less on the car. Safety gear is no penalties and your region has a number you can call.
>>
1987 MR2 for $1300
Cracked windshield and leaking T-tops.

DO I PULL THE TRIGGER?
>>
>>14120062
If civic is too slow v6 accord is surprisingly quick. Most 2door mid-size v6's will be quick. Monte Carlos only come 2 door v6 auto.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_152039.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_152039.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4160
Is it OK to mix-match spark plugs? Yesterday I put champion coppers in place of autolites. Car ran like shit because I forgot to gap them, so I put the old ones back in until I could get a shim gauge tool. I lost one of my old autolites though so I just left one of my ungapped coppers in the sixth cylinder of my jeep 4.0. Runs perfectly fine. Hoping I can fix the coppers this weekend and get them installed. I've heard this causes harmonic issues? Could this cause any significant damage to drive like this for a week?
>>
>>14129685
If it's for a few days it will shoot lazers at the oil pistons and the whole done
>>
>>14129635
pretty sure the only lug-related issues are the number. Center hole might come into play, but again, I wouldnt think that they'd make shit too complicated - that would reduce sales.

Use Amazon. They have a feature where you put in your car and it only shows products that are compatible with your car.
>>
>>14129685
>wearing camo
I hope you're in the army or you're a vet.
>>
If 4000PLN = 1K Euro, doesn't that then mean 3000PLN (cost of the car) = 750 Euro?
Fucking polaks. Can't do anything right.
>>
What do you guys think about this? Going to test drive it this week. It's way overpriced and I'm going to try to talk them down between $2k and $2.5k. Got the VIN checked and it's all clear. Anything I should look out for?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Subaru-Forester-Beaumont-d374_L34566#listing=106893410
>>
File: 20151226_143750.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151226_143750.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What wheels are these?
:/
>>
>>14131995
Enkei GP5
>>
Why won't my car start?
'90 SW20 MR2. Battery is fine, headlights and stereo work and aren't dim or anything. When I turn the key to acc the dash lights up as norman then when I try to start it it makes a click and the dash goes dead but comes back ones the key moves back.
>>
Got a 2.2L ecoshit that is a little low on coolant. Should I just top it up with dexcool or change it all?
Not sure what to do after reading a fuckload of dexcool horror stories.
>Coolant hasnt been touched in 8+ years
>>
I want these rims on my bx, where do I look what how do I know what rims are compatible?
>>
>trying to sell my cobalt
>noluck.meme
>Last night
>Guy offers me his 89 Firebird
>He says it runs great, no transmission slipping (autotragic), t-tops don't leak
>5L V8
>235K

Is this stupid? Are these things hardy?
>>
File: $_1 (2).jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
$_1 (2).jpg
18 KB, 400x266
I just bought this knob. Said it was a Hurst but I don't think it's a Hurst. Wtf is it? It didn't even seem to come off a toploader. I can't find it anywhere else.
>>
Does anyone here use a dashcam Android app that they can recommend?
>>
>>14135535
They're alright but I wouldn't value that car over $2500 how many miles are on your cobalt? Base trim?
>>
>>14135943
Base as base can get, and 130

I'd probably look at reselling the Firebird, V8s and automatics are a big ticket item in these parts
>>
I'm fucking retarded and ran over a bag of mulch on the highway. Its stuck to my catalytic converter now, melted. I tore what I could off of it, but there's still a bunch left on it. How do I get the rest off?? It doesn't look like it'll burn itself off without setting my car on fire
>>
Does BMW use weird tools and measurements like how VW uses hex for everything?
I've only owned Domestic and Japanese imports so I don't know. I was looking to buy a 3 series and want to know if I'd need to reinvest in a whole new set of tools.

>coupe (sedan maybe)
>RWD
>manual
>2+2 or 4 seater

I have a 3 series, a Z32, and a Camaro up on my list so far. Trying to keep it 1996 and up
>>
>>14116489
>be me
>own 1991 Nissan Sentra
>mix new oil in with old oil.
>might have put too much in
>go driving
>smell burning oil (or so I thought)
>see excessive amount of smoke coming from exhaust
>the smoke is white, doesn't have a sweet smell to it.
>let it cool down
>check coolant for oil, don't see any
>notice the is black oil under my exhaust

So, if there is oil in my exhaust does that mean my piston rings are shot?

Also maybe I got lucky, and didn't blow a head gasket. I hope just draining some excess oil out will resolve the issue.
>>
File: $_35[1].jpg (19 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35[1].jpg
19 KB, 299x300
How do you use the overdrive switch on a 4speed+overdrive transmission? I've only ever driven normal 5 speeds and am looking at a Volvo 245 with this type of tranny, and I have no idea when you use the lever or what gear (if any) it should be in or etc. I feel retarded but my Google-fu is weak and isn't helping.
>>
>>14116489
Just get an E34 you dumb fuck
>janusz w oplu tak bardzo
>>
File: DSC_0012.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0012.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
This just started dripping from one of the spheres on my bx, hydropneumatic fluid or brake fluid?
>>
>>14138348
If you've driven a 5speed odds are you've driven something with over drive.

The 5th gear is overdrive.
>>
>>14138712
I know that (1 2 3 > 1.00 gear ratio, 4 = 1.00, 5 = <1.00, overdrive), I mean working the little switch itself. Do you use it like an actual fifth gear (clutch in like you're shifting from 4th to 5th, then just move the lever instead)? Do you just switch it when you're already in 4th? Why wouldn't they just use a normal 5 speed?
>>
>>14138727
Have you asked the PO? Have you even test driven the car?
>>
>>14138737
That's why I was asking, so I wouldn't make an ass of myself ONCE I went to test drive it!

I mean, I could just ask him once I'm there. But that would be silly.
>>
>>14138727
When you are in 4th you just press the clutch, then the overdrive and let go of the clutch.
When downshifting just press the clutch, a little gas and push the button again. Only works when in 4th gear. When you take the lever out of the 4th gear the OD automaticaly deactivates. It was done because the tranny wasn't stronk enough for the turbo engines.
>>
File: 1361273427882.png (41 KB, 302x314) Image search: [Google]
1361273427882.png
41 KB, 302x314
>>14138794
Thank you.
>>
How would i go about transfering a title of a car if the office is closed? Would it be possible for both parties to sign it, and the i keep the title until the office is open, then bring it there and get everything transfered?
>>
>>14132453
>not touched in 8 years
Change it then? Why even ask, thats like asking if you should add more oil because you havent added any in 8+ years and somehow you havent run out and locked your engine
>>
>>14123641
You need to look at PCD just Google "(car name) PCD"

Most Toyota cars are 4x100 (4 lugs, 100mm from centre to centre) Subaru cars are 5x100. Some stuff is 4x114.5 which won't fit on 4x100.

Multifit wheels will list what PCD they fit I have some with 8 holes, four are 4x100, the others are 4x114

(Oh and weird euro shit can be 4x108)
>>
>>14134022
How to know what wheels? Google. Your stud pattern is 4x108 go to some shop and try on other 4x108 wheels. Be warned 4x108 is sorta rare outside of EU
>>
>>14138346
>mightvy put too much in
That's what the dipstick is for you eejit

Oil in exhaust could also be valve stem seals (common on 80's is cars) or fucked turbo.
>>
>>14132453
Top it up if your a poor Albanian kid.

Change it if you live in a first world county and you're not completely retarded.

When did you last do an oil change?
>>
File: Cali.jpg (680 KB, 1023x685) Image search: [Google]
Cali.jpg
680 KB, 1023x685
>>14116489
Rust is you only enemy.
Forget the optical shit. Only real thing is at the springs on the rear axle.
>>
any recommended tools to buy to remove cam seals? I don't feel comfortable drilling a screw into the rubber to pull it out and not fucking it up.
>>
File: JP_0014_2[1].jpg (44 KB, 548x411) Image search: [Google]
JP_0014_2[1].jpg
44 KB, 548x411
>>14137672

Dunno, but they have some finicky jacking system. MB uses similar bullshit.
>>
>>14141285

Dats a sexy Calibra.
>>
Running about 275rwhp on my SW20 with 15lbs of boost on an imported CT20B turbo, don't really want to take it higher because I want to keep it reliable. Will a nitrous system that has a pressure cutoff at around 12.5psi to eliminate turbo lag and get to max boost faster put extra strain on my engine? I figure that I'm still keeping it within safe limits since I'm keeping the max pressure the same, but I'm just getting it to max pressure faster and holding it there for a longer period of time.
>>
>>14137672
Nope. I have a 1997 M3. Pretty much every bolt on the car is a 10 or 13mm.
>>
>>14141333
There's no reason you have to jack it that way unless you're using the emergency jack. There's jacking points under the car for a floor jack just like any other car.
>>
File: cardoor.jpg (15 KB, 252x450) Image search: [Google]
cardoor.jpg
15 KB, 252x450
Im trying to compare prices for replacing my car's door, but i cant find the actual door for sale anywhere. I always find the misc stuff like handles, buttons, internals, etc. What should i be looking for/typing to find the actual door?
Also, is replacing it my best bet? Id prefer to do whatever needs done myself
>>
If I were to drain all the oil out of my car and replace it with gasoline instead, would the car explode?
>>
>>14129448

LongPostGuy

Lerk m0ar, fgt.
>>
>>14142024
most likely
oil absorbs heat to cool the engine.
>gas gets hot
>combusts
>gas fire sucks up all the air, creates a sort of vacuum
>eventually explodes
try it and post videos, im curious
>>
>>14142459

The engine will probably stall before it happens... maybe not though.
>>
Are salvage titles worth the risk?
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 599x497) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 599x497
Are FWD cars better than RWD cars?
>>
Someone tried putting the window down in my car (electric buttons to make it go up and down) and something snapped and now the window won't go up and falls down. What can I do to get it permanently stuck when it is closed? Some sort of glue? I don't care if it never opens again, I can't afford to fix it and just need the car for like another year.
>>
Someone just tell me what crossover/smaller SUV I should get lease for <$500 a month.
>>
>>14126948
Here

A new development. I got new batterys in my fob which did nothing so I called road side assistance and they disconnected and reconnected the battery which fixed it for two days until this morning when I went to unlock the car, to find it's back to square one. I'm having it all removed in 2 weeks but until then I'm stuck.

Will unhooking my battery every day or two do any damage to the rest of the car? Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do otherwise?
>>
File: bunta06.jpg (11 KB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
bunta06.jpg
11 KB, 352x240
>>14143426
They both have disadvantages and advantages/
FWD is cheaper to produce and buy, better on fuel economy, and better on bad road conditions. (snow, rain, etc).
Many people prefer RWD's feel in corners, and for hektik skids. From my limited experience, there's more room in a RWD engine bay so it's roomier when you work on it. Might've just been a car-by-car basis on that, though.
TL;DR
RWD for more fun FWD for practicality
>>
File: 1450516398093.jpg (26 KB, 330x446) Image search: [Google]
1450516398093.jpg
26 KB, 330x446
>>14144342
Though 95% right, there is no better feeling then getting the tail out on a FWD car without using the handbrake.
>>
>>14135552
Nobody recognizes this knob?
>>
>>14143980
Use a shim
>>
I don't know dick or balls about cars. Where should I start to learn.
>>
>>14147327
wikipedia everything. also howstuffworks.
>>
Two questions:
I went to adjust the toe on my car. I used a vice grip to keep the lower ball joint from moving while I unscrewed the lock nut (was seized, going to try again with a jack and some penut rating oil). The joint was able to turn to some extent. Should they be 100% rigid in place? The other side moved too, albeit less easily, but I can easily attribute that to using my left hand at an awkward angle.

Also, I'm having slight brake booster problems. In freezing weather, my brakes won't work until they are warmed up. I chocked this up to water in the check valve. However I also notice that pumping the brakes twice rapidly will firm up the pedal. I have stalled from my brakes a few times (once it was freezing and the booster got stuck, causing the engine to pulsate like you were releasing the clutch pedal). Where should I check first for these issues?
>>
>>14147350
not sure about first, but second issue sounds like something in the lines like air or water. wouldnt hurt to bleed your brakes just to see
>>
>>14147350
Penetrating* what the fuck
>>
>>14147365
Yeah I plan to bleed them and replace with all new fluid. I just want to know where to start, as in the booster and master cylinder area. My car is known for having a soft pedal, but failing brakes in cold weather is a no no
>>
>>14146053

If you have old ass rear shocks and springs on a FWD shitbox you could take every corner in the snow and it would feel like a RWD car with the ass sliding everywhere. Even better if you have old summer tires in the back and grippy winters in the front.
>>
File: 1443555755254.jpg (356 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1443555755254.jpg
356 KB, 1920x1200
will having a misfitting/broken air filter cause my engine to eat moisture from the air (it's been raining for weeks) and cause oil emulsion in my dipstick tube?I have a '96 Volvo 850 turbo; the hash mark is still oil but the tip and the rest of the dipstick are all covered in milkshake. No milkshake inside the valve cover or on the oil cap, coolant looks fine, level has been consistent, just the dipstick shaft and tip...
>inb4 that's gay
>inb4 u blew your head gasket dingus
is possibru but i doubt it the car isn't smoking more than a Volvo should
>inb4 u turbo's leaking oil and u live in a fog doofus
this is probable, but should i be worried about a little emulsion or should i be doing compression tests to make sure my shizzle ain't all frizzl'd??
>>
has anyone ever done downpipe and back exhaust on a 2013 Lancer ralliart? how many hours did it take and do you have to drop the drive train?
>>
File: 1450406343565.jpg (11 KB, 297x275) Image search: [Google]
1450406343565.jpg
11 KB, 297x275
>>14132438
Sounds like a dead starter or something isn't grounded right. could be a dead battery or alternator but you said it was good, which also rules out alternator. hit the starter with a hammer and see if anything changes. check to make sure that your battery terminals are on tight and not corroded.

>>14137349
just scrape that shit off it's not rocket science.

>>14140873
>this is not the dmv
it should be marked where the buyer and seller are to sign it, seller gives buyer title, buyer takes title to dmv and get a new one with their name on it, seller informs dmv they sold vehicle

>>14144001
>lease
no.

>>14143308
sometimes but you need to get an accurate history. if it was totaled for minor stuff then it's probably ok, but if it's been in any sort of major documented wreck just walk away.
>>
Happy New Year's Eve /o/. Got a conundrum for you. My '94 Ranger's alternator started acting up yesterday. When the engine was first started, it wasn't producing anything, the gauge showed this (along with my trusty multimeter) and the idiot light was on. After I revved the engine past about 3000 RPM, it clicked in and functioned normally until I shut the engine off. Once I restarted it, the process started again.
I got into it today, and tried to clean the terminals, but the stud sheared off on the alternator, and the case was cracked on it, so I just replaced the thing. With the new alternator in, it seems to be all systems go. 14.6 volts read at the gauge and the battery with my meter at idle, but the battery light is now on all the time. What could cause this? Thanks br/o/s
>>
File: IMG_20151228_180214.jpg (863 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151228_180214.jpg
863 KB, 2592x1944
>>14148135
>not taking it to an engine electrical shop and getting old alternator refurbished and re-housed
sucker.
>battery light on all the time
Check across your battery with a voltmeter while
the engine is off. With the engine running you should read 1/2 to 2 volts
higher than the engine off reading. If it's too low it's probably an open diode
in the alternator or a bad regulator. If it's too high it's probably a shorted diode or bad regulator. Battery light comes on when there is high or low charge conditions
>>
If I just wanted to buy a piece of shit car to work on so I can learn, what would be a good bet?
>>
>>14148171
Thanks m8. I'll check, but if memory serves, its usually 12.4 when the engine off, so a difference is 2.2 volts. I'll get into it in the morning.
>>
File: 1443898887336.jpg (30 KB, 450x432) Image search: [Google]
1443898887336.jpg
30 KB, 450x432
>>14148179
>POS vehicle to wrench on pic related yuropoors only sry

>working
Junkyards* or a good reputable stealership with a lot of old inventory. Pick aparts usually have a $1,000 or less used car area *but beware**!

>broken or slightly working
Junkyards* craigslist*, the side of the road*
my first bought car was a $400 Chevy Citation II that i saw while bicycling to work with a salvage title, a broken autotranny governor and shot brakes. It was a good car. Private sellers are always gonna say their vehicle is good even when it's not; Craigslist is filled with (mostly) lemons and a few gems so be careful. Junkyards can be good for this kind of thing but don't expect a single chassis u pull out of a yard to just work with a bit of tinkering**but beware of salvage titles and hack repair jobs!!
>>
had a flat and got it replaced but they can't get a matching tire, this is on an AWD. They said I should have all matching tread patterns on an AWD or it can major problems, how valid is that? I wouldn't think tread pattern would matter so much as simply the dimensions.
>>
>>14148415
>not getting your flat patched
kek

>major problems
it will wear your tother tires out faster and you might have some traction problems but i wouldn't say major problems. you should at least have matching tread for axles i.e. both tires on front axle has one tread pattern, both rear tires have another.
>>
>>14148179
the cheapest piece of shit you can find on craigslist that also happens to have brethren in the junkyard. pick n' pulls = plentiful parts. most american shit can be found there, so cavaliers (ugh) may be an okay bet. Minivans. Shit like that.
>>
>>14148466
sidewall could've been breached

>>14148415
some tire shops have a machine to shave a tire down to match the diameter of the remaining tires. so, junkyard/craigslist tire, have it shaved, yeehaw

having different sized tires on the drive axle can accelerate differential wear, on an AWD this can contribute to torque bind in the drivetrain.
>>
File: 1443489181241.jpg (99 KB, 655x653) Image search: [Google]
1443489181241.jpg
99 KB, 655x653
>>14148489
>calling a sidewall breach a flat
>what is a blowout?
>>
What's the actual value (both monetary and otherwise) of a used car being certified pre-owned from a dealer vs. just plain used car?
>>
File: 1439929800406.jpg (51 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1439929800406.jpg
51 KB, 460x460
>>14148489
>some tire shops have a machine to shave a tire down

nope, they're rare and most shops just make you get a whole new set.
>>
>>14148518
>what is diff between a stealership vs private seller?

price.

>certified pre-owned
hey i can certify that every fukn car on the road is pre-pwned.
>>
>>14148513
>>14148466
tire went flat in driveway and wouldn't take air, shop tried to repair it and said it was no good.
>>
>>14148489
>sidewall could've been breached
>could've
>not just getting a donut

pic related
>>
File: 1448752441151.gif (626 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1448752441151.gif
626 KB, 300x300
>>14148558
>tire went flat, tire shop said it was no good
wow such detail and no mention of how tire went flat
>mfw he didn't ask the shop what happened.
>mfw just the location where it went flat

They lied to you unless there was a serious cut, the treads were damaged,or there was sidewall damage.
>>
>>14148578
How the fuck could I know how i went flat, it was literally sitting in my driveway for a few days, and I went out and it was flat one day. It was parked on sharp gravel (or sharp as gravel goes), but I doubt that could have done anything.

I'm going to ask what's wrong with it I was in a hurry today because it's new years eve nig nog
>>
>>14116489
I was looking at this geo metro the other day, it's a 1999 with multiport fuel injection(I think).

The gas pedal is extremely.. Weird. Instead of it having more of a spring response, it feels like it's a pressure sensor, if that makes sense.

It's just on the floor and when I tap it it'll rev, and the harder I push on it it'll rev more. But the actual pedal doesn't really move a lot.. Is that a normal thing?
>>
>>14149174
Is it manual injection?
Drove a 1.4l gas jetta for a day and it had that. Felt extremely weird, and you had to pump the pedal while cranking. It was a piece of shit.
>>
>>14149174
Also, my brother told me it was this way because the throttle is routed through the transmission in lieu of an electronic throttle position sensor.
>>
>>14141902
any help with this? I know i can go to local yards to find parts, but im looking to compare lots of prices, ebay, local yards, custom sites, etc.
>>
>>14150371
Check Wal*Mart. They're bound to have it--and if not, at least you've experienced world-class customer service!

Go to Wal*Mart and have yourself a fun shopping trip!
>>
>>14116489
Nawet nie mysl o calibrze.
Wiocha sama w sobie
>>
Is the Mazda speed 3 a fun car
>>
>>14150404
nope
>>
Why does my left front brake disc keep warping? So far I've had refurbed the caliper, changed sliders, cleaned the hub surface. Everything moves freely. Yet after 600 km's, the vibration is back. The other side has the cheapest parts I could find yet the disc has never warped.
>>
>>14116723
Good enough
>>
>>14129831
/o/ - fashion
>>
https://youtu.be/gEEefSwkwhQ?t=1m3s
The sound in 1:04 - what's that? I want to get mp3 of that sound, but I've got no idea how it could be called. I hear it for the first time here.
>>
>>14116489
> red car
> 666 euros
It's probably possessed. If you turn the key and it starts playing Queen Greatest Hits nonstop no matter what you do, run away.
>>
How do I reverse smoothly with an auto? Only driven manuals before but I'm using an auto right now.
>>
>>14129640
Chinese parts are smaller because they mold in this case a corvette bumper cover and then when the resulting molded part cures it shrinks ever so slightly. The GM tooling is just barely oversized enough to make the piece the right size. The chinese obviously isnt. Nothing to do with copyright.
>>
>>14141645
Nitrous is pretty safe as long as you run a wet kit and keep the tune a little fat. That being said its simply harder on parts than forced induction. A 100shot shouldnt hurt anything just be careful with it and keep in mind nitrous backfires will fuck your shit up
>>
I filled up a lexis with regular. Does this kill it
>>
>>14141902
Door skin/shell dunno if anybody reproduces them. Call a local body shop and ask who they get it from.
>>
>>14153348
Nope it'll just pull timing until it sees higher octane fuel again.
>>
Is there a book or a guide i can get that goes over building engines and the parts included? Im trying to get into building engines and i wanna know what im doing before i actually start.
>>
>>14154801
Just google engine build and watch youtube videos. Probably start with something like a small block ford/chevy theyre nice and simple. Graduate to OHC, DOHC. Watch and absorb.
>>
Would it be realistic to slap something like this into an FC shell to get what's essentially a cheap FD? I've never really seen anyone selling an entire manual transmission attached to an engine and everything.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ptd/5298315367.html
>>
Should I get this as a winter beater? You think I could put even a slight amount of money into it to keep as a backup shitbox or even fix up into a usable DD ?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/5366046920.html
>>
File: 2015-11-29 16.12.04 blk rims.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-29 16.12.04 blk rims.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
i want to start tuning the engine of my car. where should i start? a top tier tuning computer or are the cheap ones worth it, and are there any that i can plug in to a pc?
>>
How bad is 2003 oldsmobile alero?

They are coupes, pretty well priced in my area for ~130k miles or lower.

Stats from google;
MPG: 24 city / 32 highway
Horsepower: 140 HP
Engine: 2.2L 4-cylinder
Curb weight: 2,939 lbs
Cargo volume: 14.6 ft3
Engine cylinder configuration: Straight engine
Dimensions: 187″ L x 70″ W x 55″ H

Appreciate it.
>>
I'm replacing the fluid in my manual transmission today. I know it takes about 2.5 quarts, but I only have two quarts of Redline MT-90 (75W90 Weight), and one quart of Redline 75W90 gear oil. Will it be okay if i mix the two? Nowhere around here sells GL-4 transmission fluid and i don't want to wait for another bottle of Redline to come in the mail.
>>
how stupid is it to turbocharge my v6 with a used pajero turbine
Thread replies: 209
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.