[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wheel Adapters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: ebay adapters.jpg (225 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
ebay adapters.jpg
225 KB, 1600x1600
Alright /o/ I've been hearing different shit about this so I'd figured I might as well ask here too. I'm looking to get new wheels but they will require adapters. Going from 5x110 to 5x100. The forums for my car are saying to go with US made 20mm adapters, though they're $150-$200. Where as the ebay ones are 25mm and are only like $75. Is that 5mm really a big deal? Does it mater that they're ebay brand?
>>
>>14111480
It probably only matters if you value your life and car
>>
>>14111488
But how are they worse? Lugs not threaded in well or cheaper aluminum or what?
>>
Adapter acts as a lever arm on the hub. RIP bearings.
>>
So with that logic the smaller ones would be safer? What's the stress different between those and simply having a wider offset?
>>
I wouldn't go over 25mm and I would make sure they were hub centric.
>>
>>14111757
the smaller the better, anything over 25mm is dangerous. hub centric is preferred. and ebay-china is not where you want to be buying something that holds your wheel on your car.

you think some chink cares if one stud didn't get the right thread depth because he was late for ching chong ding dang? no, he doesnt care if whittu piggu crashes.
>>
Bunch of guys run 2in adapters with ls1 cars with 700+ horsepower.
They don't have issues with the spacers.
Just don't buy a shitty eBay one and ur fine.
>>
Guy I autox with runs 2.5" spacers on all four corners of a 1st gen Camaro with C5 Z06 wheels, Hoosiers, and 650+ hp worth of LS7. Guy drives it on the street on street tires too. He's had mo issue with billet spacers.
>>
>>14112375

no issues
>>
Question guys, if i had small tires already and want to get wheel spacers (think 2-3") so my car has a wider area of grip, how would that effect the handling?
>>
Why is everyone always so retarded?
>>
>>14112394
>wider area of grip

Ya bro get 4" spacers
>>
File: 1449086269705.jpg (46 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1449086269705.jpg
46 KB, 450x300
>>14112423

Because the ones like you who know everything would rather call everyone a retarded faggot instead of taking some time to write a factual reply to help them understand

Merry christmas Ethan
>>
>>14112394
Widen track=Better stability in corners
Shorter wheelbase in proportion to track=better rotation in corners
>>
>>14112447
I can't believe you're not Jewish.
Merry Christmas.
You're probably my favorite active trip fag.
>>
>>14112394

Increasing track width to a point can be very beneficial, but you really need to match the rest of the geometry to it. Also if you increase track width with wheel offset or spacers instead of long control arms you'll probably have problems with scrub radius among a number of other issues.
>>
>>14112375
Just because they are high quality and haven't broken doesn't mean they aren't hurting bearing life.

And it doesn't mean op should buy chink spacers off ebay.
>>
>>14112455

He's had no issues with bearing life. Neither have I and I run 1" spacers low backspace wheels with 4.5" scrub radius like an open wheel NASCAR modified. Running stock style wheel bearings. No issues. I've always read the wheel bearing junk. People that have that issue either drive shit boxes, packed/installed their bearings wrong, or they are lying buying into what I've found to be only a myth.
>>
>>14112474
and how many miles do you have on those wheels.
>>
>>14112474
it's not an opinion it's a fact. it stresses the wheel bearings.
>>
>>14112455

Oh yeah I've run pony stock cars and worked on all sorts of dirt track teams. Most of those cars run insane offsets that produce the same condition as running 2-3" spacers many of the lower level classes require stock style bearings. No issues there and those bearings take a pounding for multiple seasons often.
>>
>>14112484

Okay so I'm running close to the most extreme extra stress on the street, autox, and road course using a stock styl bearings seeing bearing life that is 100% within spec. Who cares about the extra stress. I know it's there mechanically but the effects on life are minimal or null. And these are shit small diameter bearings not large Timkens hat would be even more resilient .
>>
>>14112450
I just want it to be kinda flush with the body, no im not a stace/hellaflushfag.

>>14112453
Tires are 155s on 13" wheels, trailer tires are the same size.
>>
>>14111736

Underrated Post.
>>
e everyone in this thread. If my wheel has +25 et and I run a 25mm spacer how am I affecting the wheel bearing more than running a + 0 wheel?
>>
>>14112934
The spokes of the wheels will sit closer to the outer edge of the wheels (i.e. wheels have less dish). This means that the mass of the wheel is predominately further away from the wheel bearing, and will cause the wheel bearing to shit itself quicker than the +0 wheel would.
>>
File: 1440645240956.jpg (48 KB, 640x850) Image search: [Google]
1440645240956.jpg
48 KB, 640x850
>>14113000
wtf am I reading
>>
>>14113000
Stupidest post of the year award.
>>
>>14113004
>>14113081
>I don't understand wheel offset
>>
>>14113111
The mass of the wheels location has literally nothing to do with a lever effect when directly linked.
>>
>>14112934
the bearing and hub wasnt designed for 0 offset wheels
>>
>>14113134
the hub is offset to put a neutral side load on the bearing when using positive offset wheels?
>>
>>14112934
works out the same
>>
File: chaika desu ne.jpg (49 KB, 272x253) Image search: [Google]
chaika desu ne.jpg
49 KB, 272x253
OP here
Didn't think this thread would get any attention but I guess I'm glad it did. So what I'm getting out of this is the 20mm name brand adapters would be a smarter choice over the 25mm ebay specials.
>>
>>14112523
My post had nothing to do with stance and im pretty insulted that you think it did.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.