[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/ I want to make a car out of wood. What engine should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Aston-Body-rebuild1.jpg (443 KB, 2000x1387) Image search: [Google]
Aston-Body-rebuild1.jpg
443 KB, 2000x1387
Hey /o/

I want to make a car out of wood.

What engine should I put in it, and how can I make this fucker somewhat road-legal in Aus?
>>
1000cc motorbike engine
>>
Are you making the frame out of wood to or just the body like in the picture?
>>
>>14110503
Everything.

Single seater, basic suspension, and probably canvas bodywork.
>>
>>14110509
Ok well first of all I recomend you use this site.
http://www.wood-database.com/
It lists the janka hardness and modulus of rupture of most kinds of wood. I assume you know that most woods aren't strong enough to take much torque so you can't just use 2x4s.

As for the engine, I think this >>14110501 guy has the right idea. Something that puts out about 100hp should be safe.
>>
>>14110520
That sounds pretty damn useful, thanks.

The literbike engine might not be great in terms of cost, though. Motorbike engines in general would be a lot easier to work with, at least the aircooled ones, so I'll have to see what's cheaply available.
>>
>>14110499
I6 (or an I8)
carb'd M30 or an XK6 maybe?
>>
>>14110542
I think I'd need a metal frame for anything larger or heavier than an alloy i4.

If this wood build works I'll do that next, probably with an RB25 or a Ford Barra 4L i6, whichever I can pick up cheaper.
>>
File: 1450908717945.gif (212 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
1450908717945.gif
212 KB, 921x155
Id recommend a 4k-c Toyota engine. Auto gearboxes are usually giveaways and the engines are $50 and considered boat anchors. the produce fuck all torque and rated to 55-60 hp, but it'll fly in a little go cart

The idea of using EVERYTHING out of wood is buttfuck retarded but you can do what you like
>>
>>14110648
That's a second option, yeah.

AE82s are cheap as fuck, I'm sure I could make something work with the front subframe relocated to the rear.
>>
just wait until the new korean commodore comes out, i'm pretty sure the base trim will be plywood
>>
>>14110499
>and how can I make this fucker somewhat road-legal in Aus?
I actually think this will be the most difficult thing, as anything made out of wood won't be compliant with any ADR's, and therefore by technicality isn't allowed to be on the road period. It also isn't a classic or legacy vehicle either. You would have a great deal of help if you had a mate that could do engineers certs and was willing to give it the thumbs up for rego.
>>
>>14110499
Flat twin, airhead BMW or Citroen
>>
File: Porsche-356-4.jpg (316 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Porsche-356-4.jpg
316 KB, 2000x1333
>>14112840
Alright, I won't even think about making it road legal then. It'll be one hell of a buggy / dirt rally car, though.

Once I've cut my teeth on that, hopefully I'll be up to the task of making something like pic related, and actually road legal, instead of spending twenty grand on a kit car that just doesn't look nice.
>>
Look up 'ratherbewelding' on YouTube, yeah his designs are made with steel but the drivetrains are very simple and easy to replicate once you understand the basics. I feel you could get a decent go kart/buggy type deal going if you do your homework
>>
>>14113059
The drivetrain won't give me any problems, I've been a mechanic for a while so I know my way around them.

I've just never built something like this before, so I figure wood is easier to work with than metal. I do have a welder, though, so if I need to make up a steel frame I can probably manage it.
>>
>>14112998
This car.

HNNNGGGG. It's just so perfect.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.