[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: ff-td-han.png (632 KB, 1285x546) Image search: [Google]
ff-td-han.png
632 KB, 1285x546
I came across this story while looking up info on 5 point bolt in roll cages, I'd rather have one welded instead of bolted to my floor and rear wheel arches but that's another story.

This isn't a Civic flame thread, the car just happened to be one but the occupants could have been any one of use and it could have been any car.

But I recommend you all read this story, it'll make you think twice before hooning past your limit .

tl;dr

>Car oversteers and rolls down an embankment.
>Dumbass driver not belted, gets flung out of the car and pinned under it but survives.
>Passenger gets paralysed from the chest down

Kid's life changes forever in a split second, shit's fucked.

I've been in a crash before though not as crazy as this one. Time almost slows down and you know you're fucked.

It makes you wonder how it feels like to have that sensation and dread in your heart that you know you're super fucked when you're losing control and you think you're going to die painfully in a few seconds.

Anyway, I googled this kid's nickname and all activities seems to have ceased before 2013, he most likely became an hero, I know I'd do the same if I was in his situation.

anyway, tl;dr, Merry Christmas and Just be careful, guys.

http://honda-tech.com/honda-acura-28/autopower-cage-saves-my-friends-lives-pics-inside-1495699/page7/
>>
Meh a local WRC driver sells "passenger experiences" in last years rally car, rolled down a cliff recently and fucked the car up really badly, neither occupant was hurt
>>
Roll cages are to boyracers what AWD is to soccer moms. They make you too confident on public roads. The only thing that's justifyable are roll bars on convertibles because those really do kill you as soon as they roll.
>>
>>14104125

That must have been a pant shitting experience, while the ordeal is going on, you don't know if you'll blink and the moment you open your eyes while shtf, you're a complete mangled mess with your body contorted and your head stuck to the asphalt, a Liveleak superstar with shitposters making fun of you, though I'd imagine a rally car would be fully decked in a complete welded in cage so you'd be somewhat safe.
>>
File: 011.jpg (84 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
84 KB, 720x540
>tfw i was in 2 bad accidents, both times the vehicle rolled, both times i wasnt wearing a seatbelt, both times i got out unscathed.
i always wear it now, but its crazy how shit works
>>
File: 9005cage.jpg (74 KB, 544x311) Image search: [Google]
9005cage.jpg
74 KB, 544x311
>>14104150
What's the deal with your welded in obsession? What fucking difference does it make? The thing that's by far the most important is the roll cage's design (read: sufficient thickness, diagonal bracing and door bracing). The mounting can be done just as well with screws as with welds.
>>
>>14104149

That depends. My car came with a bolted on cage and I'm more scared of it, shit looks like it would shear off the wheel wells and bash your head and or collapse into your body in the moment of a hard rollover.

With convertibles, I feel that you'd need a complete cage, I've seen too many pics of collapsed A pillars and windshields, collapsing on the driver's heads.
>>
File: cage.jpg (171 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
cage.jpg
171 KB, 1280x960
>>14104160

You're lucky that you didn't get flung out and crushed dude.

>>14104161

The bolted on ones don't look too safe, imo, the joints ad the fact that it's bolted on with 3 bolts per wheel well.

I guess the joints could be reinforced.
>>
>>14104011
>if you crash at high speed while hooning ur fucked

seems kind of obvious family

https://youtu.be/R7dG9UlzeFM?t=190
>>
File: 00495.jpg (72 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
00495.jpg
72 KB, 720x540
>>14104177
yeah, windows were down both times too, when the medics got there they couldnt believe i was okay
>>
>>14104183

When it was happening, what did it feel like? and when you came out unscathed, how did you feel?

My crash wasn't anything major, I was just shocked at the time.
>>
File: bihoku_180sx_flip_crash_001.jpg (114 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
bihoku_180sx_flip_crash_001.jpg
114 KB, 640x425
>>14104162
If it's designed right, there's nothing to be worried about.
This car flipped midair before landing on it's roof.
He had a Cusco bolt-in cage.
>>
File: 098 (2).jpg (285 KB, 1280x956) Image search: [Google]
098 (2).jpg
285 KB, 1280x956
>>14104189
i knew it was coming, i was on a twisty road on the side of a mountain and there was a woman in a suburban straddling the double yellows coming the opposite direction, i knew it was either the front of the suburban at 40mph (she was probably doing about the same) or into the guardrail. i took the guardrail and went through it, down a 10-15 foot drop and rolled end over end a few times before i guess rolling sideways and landing propped against a tree. i really dont remember much after the 2nd roll. once i came too i crawled out and climbed back up the hill. was about 20 minutes before another car came passed and called an ambulance for me. i was happy to be okay but it didnt really sink in how lucky i got until afterwards
>this was the other one, wasnt quite as bad
>>
>>14104177
The joints don't have to be reinforced unless they've been designed by a complete moron. The clamps should theoretically not shear off unless burdened with a force that would bend the entire cage anyway, and the alloy of screws can handle multiples of the force the tube steel is laid out for. The bolt plates with the body can and should be reinforced with back plates. It's a little difficult for me to explain in a second language but it utilizes very similar principles that I'm used to from my occupation as a structural steel draftsman.
>>
>>14104162

>cage
>no padding

0/10 family
>>
File: 82e91f0ceb8a716108f8610e7d7c18f7.jpg (330 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
82e91f0ceb8a716108f8610e7d7c18f7.jpg
330 KB, 1440x1080
>>14104196

>I took the guardrail and went through it, down a 10-15 foot drop

That moment must have been absolutely pant shitting at the time, I'm glad you're ok mang.

>>14104190
>>14104198

That's good to know, mine is also a Cusco.

I'll check if it's got backplates tomorrow.

>>14104199

I've been meaning to get that done with pool noodles or pipe insulation sometime.
>>
>>14104161
a full cage could be loose in the car and be just as safe it take enough force to sheer the body from the frame to make it less safe at which point you would already be dead
>>
i rolled a jeep at about 30mph. I was fine except for a black eye where my face hit the steering wheel.

>>14104214
>pool noodles
you need SFI approved padding.
and even that wont save you since its designed for helmets.
i wouldn't get more than a 4 point in a street car and I would have a racing seat with reinforced seatbox and mounts just to make sure I wouldn't fly up into it.

>>14104255
>a cage can be loose
lol no.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.