[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does the 5 speed compare to the 6 speed inn the NC Miata?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: rowrowrow.jpg (36 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
rowrowrow.jpg
36 KB, 300x354
How does the 5 speed compare to the 6 speed inn the NC Miata?

I'm looking at getting a 5 speed, but I haven't gotten to try out the 6 speed gearbox yet.
>>
6sp is nice, just have to feed it expensieve ford transmission fluid. NC1s like to turn 4k at 80mph on the highway. So on longer trips mileage isn't great in a 4 cylinder. NC2+ 6sp fixed that by adding a taller 6th gear.

As far as conefagging goes, the ratios on the 5sp are a bit better for that.

Not sure what your main use of the car will be, but as a DD for me, the 6sp is plenty fun. I especially don't regret it since having a 6sp also means you get the bilsteins + LSD, which isn't available on the 5spd.
>>
>>14103060
Purely transmission wise basically it's another overdrive gear but >>14103092 clearly knows more than me. In theory yeah better gas mileage
>>
>>14103092
I live in the mountains so there's touges for days up here. I am going to DD a little, but honestly I want the one that will perform the best on tight numerous turns. Not sure if conefagging is comparable.
>>
>>14103169

You'll want a 6sp one then, as rowing through the gears when you have a chance to wind it out a bit is a ton of fun. Also like I said thats the only one where you can get the handling/performance/whatever its called package that gets you the bilsteins and the LSD. Bilsteins are honestly garbage (still better than stock), but you'll want to replace them. LSD on the other hand is fantastic.

I'll also recommend getting an NC2+, for the higher redline (forged rods), improved interior, and a number of other small, but significant improvements.
>>
>>14103192
This NC I'm looking at right now is a steal. I imagine the 6 is more fun and practical, but performance wise under small tight road conditions. Which one is faster and has the better performance?
>>
The 6th gear really isn't anything. its the same ratio as the 5speed (.8xx)
It makes you roll through the gears more often (good or bad depending on your perspective)
I personally like the 5 speed more because its simple, and I believe its not that much different from the one mazda put in the original NA. the 6 speed comes from the RX8.

Really it depends on if you want leather or not. I really haven't seen a 5 speed with leather, but the 6speed tourings tend to have it.
>>
>>14103060
What's more important is that 5-speeds didn't come with limited slip diffs. 6-speeds with an LSD came with yellow Bilstein shocks.
>>
>>14103207

The one with an LSD. In a car that slow 5spd vs 6spd makes very little difference. 6spd has shorter gearing, so you'll accelerate ( or at least feel like ) you're faster. And generally due to that sensation will have more fun. Actual performance will be about the same. An LSD on the other hand will directly affect how well it can corner at speed and keep on power.

>>14103223
Only grand tourings had leather, and it usually was a terrible basketball orange :(

tl;dr get a 6 speed because LSD, get an 09+ because higher redline, stronger engine internals = easier to do FI because trust me, you'll start wanting a bit more power.
>>
>>14103229
>>14103223
>>14103234

I should clarify. Me and my ASE friend are looking at a pristine NC with 125K selling for 2 grand right now.

So assuming both gearboxes are the same, could an LSD be fitted to the 5 speed then?
>>
>>14103246

What's wrong with it? Thats about 6k less than what I'd expect to pay for an NC1.
>>
>>14103256
It's listed for 4K right now, but the tops a little damaged so we talked *her* down.
>>
>>14103269

If its truly pristine, 2k is a steal. Drop 1k on the LSD new, or pull one from a wrecked one. What transmission you have doesn't really dictate which differential you can use.

That said, 2k is much, much, much too low for this car. I'd make sure your 'ASE' buddy knows his stuff and knows what to check for when looking at the car. Talking down a car just because of a shitty vinyl top by 2k doesnt make sense. Tops are like $500-600.
>>
File: cash.jpg (33 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
cash.jpg
33 KB, 600x337
>>14103295
It's December. Someone is always desperate.

We're gonna look at it again at his shop, but were both pretty pleased with what we see.
>>
>>14103318

I'd jump on that deal then. Thats NA price territory. Nothing that can't be made up with the savings spent on the aftermarket.
>>
File: mmm.jpg (25 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
mmm.jpg
25 KB, 600x337
>>14103333
I will follow your quads senpai. Wish me luck.
>>
>>14103060
Why do some call it "speed" instead of gear?

No vehicle's velocity is limited to the amount of speed it has.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.