[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else have a lot of friends who think they know how to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11
File: really.gif (41 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
really.gif
41 KB, 300x167
Anyone else have a lot of friends who think they know how to drive manual?

>I know how to drive manual!
>I did it once!
>8 years ago
>In my college dorm's parking lot
>For 5 Minutes
>In my friend's saturn with 300k miles on it
>Yea, I definitely know how to drive a manual car!
>Let me borrow your car please I need to go somewhere!
>>
File: 1430368837455.gif (350 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
1430368837455.gif
350 KB, 500x344
>>14095492
>manufags trying to glorify their autistic lifestyle of being so poor they have to change their own gears

when will memeshifters ever learn
>>
>>14095492
it takes literally 5 minutes to learn how to drive manual

but i still wouldnt let someone barrow my car ever
>>
another shit thread that a tripfag just had to bump. nice.
>>
>>14095585
This.
>2015
>still picking the objectively inferior option
>>
>>14095585
Second.

It's one thing not to be able to aford the automatic feature but to express you're delusional superiority complex about it on a panda express menu debate forum in canada? That's excessive.
>>
>2015
>still manually driving
>>
>>14095492
I just bought a manual s10 earlier this year and haven't driven manual since 08. Fuck you and learn that people can keep skills.
>>
>>14095585

>Too fucking fat to shift gears so his mom bought him an auto shitbox.

Maybe if you faggots actually learned, you wouldnt be crying sour grapes.
>>
>>14095704
mad manual cuck detected
>>
I don't think you'll be friends with them for long when your friend realizes you are actually Fred Flintstone manually smacking your gears to drive.
>>
>>14095704
>sour grapes
>the inferior option

lmao, 3 fingers point back, etc...
>>
>Mom wants to drive my car
>Is a perfect driver, no tickets or accidents
>Except when she crashed the last 2 manual cars she drove 10 years ago

Worry.jpg
>>
Manual and automatic is like apples and oranges

They are both good in certain applications and not really comparable for the most part. A manual is better in a sports car while an automatic is better in a luxury car, etc.

There, discussion over.
>>
>>14095749
>A manual is better in a sports car
but that's wrong, you fucking retard
modern automatics are faster than manuals
>>
>>14095754

Are you saying that going fast is the only, or most important aspect of what makes a car a sports car? As I see it, the overall feel of sportiness and driver engagement in as many aspects as possible of driving is what makes a sports car. And there is more engagement in a manual transmission over an automatic.
>>
>>14095775
Fucking manual hipsters get off my board
>>
File: 03-2016-dodge-viper-acr-fd-1.jpg (640 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
03-2016-dodge-viper-acr-fd-1.jpg
640 KB, 1920x1280
>>14095585
U wot m8
>>
>>14095798

Your shitposting isn't even good, I just feel the urge to reply to it.

There is nothing hipster about manual. It's a difference experience that has its benefits and drawbacks, just as automatic does. Unlike manual snobs, I like automatic and think it has uses that at best suited by it, like >>14095749 said.

>when will I learn to not reply to such obvious shitbait?
>>
>>14095821
Damn that whole post was about you. You're a fucking trip, fag.
>>
>>14095798

I forgot that it was Christmas break this week, hence the rampant fwd and autotragic kiddie shitposting
>>
>>14095831

>W-well u-ur a tripfag
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2144x1404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2144x1404
>dad who owns company got an old company Ferd truck for me to try memeshifting on
>5 speed but no tach
>get a 1 hour lesson in a parking lot
>do terrible
>he suggests just going into 1st/reverse in front of the house next morning to get the hang of it but going no further because not insured

>morning
>get the hang of it in minutes
>take it out around the block
>then around the area
>then around town
>been driving this shitbox for 4 hours aimlessly because it's just fun
>tfw you rev match
>tfw you hill start
>tfw you pul out from a stop smooth as butter

Can't wait to get my first memeshift car phams.
>>
>>14095831

How dare I post opinions on an opinion based subject. What a shitty, tripfaggy thing to do. My sincerest apologies, anon. I will pretend that everything is objective and speak as such.

>he posted about hating tripfags again, look at how much he contributed!

And because I forgot to reply to OP >>14095492
I see what you mean, but you should at least let them try with you in the car. If they seem competent enough to not fuck your gears, let them borrow it (assuming you let others borrow your car anyway) and if not, either teach them like a bro or be honest and say nah cunt I don't want you fucking my shit up.
>>
>>14095649
I for one am appalled by the fact that that it's 2015 and those fucks still haven't added dumplings to their menu. Now whenever I get Panda Express, I gotta go to the store, buy a bag of potstickers, and boil them before I can eat. Fuck Panda Express and their god tier orange chicken.
>>
>>14095867

You're gonna love it. I'm glad I decided to learn manual, and now own my first manual vehicle. I do miss auto a bit, but overall glad with my choice.
>>
>>14095707
>cuck

When did Hiroshima let up on that dumb fucking word filter?
>>
>>14095754
>any year after the turn of the century
>any car with "sports" package
>car has an automatic
>computer has soccer mom lead foot buffer
>computer decides on its own time when full throttle means "full throttle"
>perpetual granny shifting
>car has a manual
>drive by wire throttle is often more responsive as the computer has fewer responsibilities
>no hydraulic torque converter to dampen engine response
>always ready for full dagumi

Just don't expect to take long road trips and trade off driving responsibilities since you'll probably be stuck driving the entire time.
>>
>>14095492
I had this one friend named Amber who was constantly saying she could drive stick "so long as the gear knob has the shift pattern on it"
So I took her to the local high school parking lot and had her go at it.
>15 minutes of stalling later, she was frustrated and I was amused.
Her excuse was "I thought you just push in the clutch and go!"
>>
>>14095492
a friend told me he knew how to drive manual, went to do things "heres the keys m8, youre driving" the guy blew through a red light in third gear at 1200 rpms because he thought flooring it after an early upshift was going to do any good.
>>
File: 626247474747.png (17 KB, 632x574) Image search: [Google]
626247474747.png
17 KB, 632x574
Everyone I know who has a license knows how to drive manual... but, I do have friends who have never driven an automatic and actually have no clue how to drive one. They'd probably just do the same shit that I'd do after buying the Mercedes; snap their fucking necks as they instinctively try to press the clutch when coming to a stop, fully engaging the brakes
>>
>>14095947
Is it better to go autotragic to memeshift, or memeshift to autotragic?
>>
File: 1440696742944.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1440696742944.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>14096001
Each to their own... for my next car (larger LandCruiser, Nissan Patrol) I'll probably go for manual due to simplicity, easier to handle when towing heavy on slippery terrain, easier to fix and because they are more readily available in that configuration here

For my current car, the Mercedes, automatic is just fine. Its a good, smooth gearbox, as responsive as I'd like it and just a very pleasant system to work with seeing as I don't use this car for towing or work and it also has enough power so that I don't feel like I have to time kickdowns and such perfectly for overtakes

Manual vs automatic all comes down to what is available and what you personally want. I understand why people like us prefer manual for fun (lets admit it, you can't really have that much winter time drifting fun in an automatic), but for a daily driver or similar I think most people here would agree that just about any car that is available with an automatic would be just fine
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>14096046
>can't have winter drifting fun in an automatic

I did last week actually, just needed a handbrake
>>
>>14095939
>letting someone dump the clutch on your car for 15 minutes
Do you even love your car?
>>
File: MerceDrarMerce.jpg (153 KB, 937x703) Image search: [Google]
MerceDrarMerce.jpg
153 KB, 937x703
>>14096073
Can't really power onwards, thats the problem

I can do it decently if I lock my gearbox down to not go above second, but then there is a slight moment where I gain a lot more traction, the gearbox now "notices" the low speed and shifts into first, ruining the balance of the drift

For this shit manual is so much more superior, hence why we're always throwing my mate's already fucked and rusty C200 around the abandoned forest roads around here at night
>>
>>14095863
It's common knowledge that trip fags are desperate attention depraved losers with nothing much to add to the board.
>>
>>14096119
>highschool dropout thinks fwd can compete
Not surprised.
>>
File: jack-black-stop.jpg (10 KB, 293x282) Image search: [Google]
jack-black-stop.jpg
10 KB, 293x282
>>14096119
>underaged
>dropped out
>FWD can compete
>I know more than you do
LMAO.
>>
>>14096131
>fwd can compete
>when an accelerating car has its weight transferred to the back wheels, leaving the front wheels with significantly less friction to maintain traction on acceleration
>>
>>14096079
It's a stage 2 racing clutch. She couldn't destroy that thing if she tried. She was afraid of over-gassing it, so she stalled every time. The car never went forward. Just continually stalled because she couldn't balance them right.
>>
>>14095723
>no tickets or accidents
>or accidents
>accidents

>Except when she crashed the last 2 manual cars she drove 10 years ago
>crashed the last 2 manual cars she drove
>crashed
>>
>>14096419
No accidents except the two in which she was driving a manual car. Really not that difficult a concept.
>>
>>14095585
>poor
>snek is faster than a computer doing the work for your lazy cunt
>>
>>14095754
Sure, and if you were drag racing only they'd probably be better. Sports car implies more than just straight line performance though and automatics are shit on the twisties.
>>
ITT: A bunch of amerifats who can't even drive a manual
>>
File: 1435833779570.png (381 KB, 800x569) Image search: [Google]
1435833779570.png
381 KB, 800x569
>>14095821
>There is nothing hipster about manual
but that simply isnt true
>>
I....I am that friend :/
I had manual in high school but got an automatic truck and haven't driven and manual is so long I don't think I can do it amymore, although I tell myself I can
>>
>>14095492
>Mfw im learning manual and the only time shifting feels smooth for me is if i gun it and i shift literally as quick as possible like I'm playing a videogame
>Mfw literally can't shift slower as smoothly
>>
>>14098157
eh. you might be surprised. if you drove the manual long enough to the point where it felt natural you're probably just rusty at best. it's not really something you forget how to do.
>>
>>14098479
You're releasing the clutch too quickly, then. Slow down your clutch release, and you'll reduce the amount you need to rev.
>>
>>14095749

>A manual is better in a sports car
>Implying all the manual faggots are driving sports cars
>no your 90's "turbo-tuned" shitbox isn't a sportscar
>>
>>14095684
Word. Haven't driven my 5 speed scoobaru in almost a year. Bought a 5 speed cummins and just drove it for the first time today and it felt soooooooooo good
>>
I thought this was a meme, americans really can't drive manuals ?

Also why the fuck don't we switch to auto too ? I mean what are the advantages of manuals ?
>>
>autotragic clowns having sour grapes
lel!
>>
>>14098628
about 70% of cars driven in america are auto. of the 70% it's unclear exactly who can drive manual and prefers auto, and who can only drive auto. I think it's 10% can, 60% cannot. but these are stats I just made up.
>>
In my country (holland) its normal to get your driving license in a manual car. Almost everybody I know drives a manual car. I'm the only one that drives an automatic because I work in a busy city, and I hate shifting gears when there's a traffic light every 50 meters.
>>
>>14098628
I live in Canada, which is like the US in which you don't need a manual to do your driving test. Because most people don't care about cars and just want to go A>B, they don't bother learning. Most cars are sold in auto, and manuals don't cost much less, so most people never need to learn.
>>
New to manual cars, just got mine last week. Is revving the car to about 2k in first gear with clutch pushed in, then slowly releasing the clutch to start moving bad? Should I try to balance the clutch and gas so I'm applying gas as I release the clutch?
>>
>>14100148
Bumping for interest
>>
>>14100148
Depends on the car. You could always go lower, but if the engine sounds like it's starting to bog down, then obviously you need to start at a higher rpm.

Large displacement vehicles usually start pretty low, but small engines need to build more power before they can take off.

e.g. I start around 1.2-1.5k in a mustang gt if traffic is really slow
>>
>>14100148
>>14100256
Same guy I forgot to add one more thing. Try to learn to depress the throttle while taking you foot off the clutch. The idea is that if you start at a high rpm and just hold it there, you will wear your clutch out faster, but if you keep the rpms relatively low and then increase it as you pull off the clutch pedal the car will build momentum earlier and reduce clutch slip. Hope it helps, m8
>>
>>14100273
>>14100256
Thanks bruv. Ive been practicing going forward in 1st and reversing using only the clutch with no throttle, letting out the clutch once I'm completely going
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.