[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, /o/. I drive a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado. It's the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
File: money-burn[1].jpg (19 KB, 445x292) Image search: [Google]
money-burn[1].jpg
19 KB, 445x292
Alright, /o/. I drive a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado. It's the most comfortable car I've ever driven, but it's plagued by the problems common to Northstar engines, and will eventually shit its head cylinder if I keep driving it. I really like the car, and I can replace the engine with a Jasper; I've heard nothing but good things about Jasper engines, and it will make my car a reliable DD. The cost of the engine, labor, associated parts, rebuilt transmission (because if I'm going to pay for all that labor to replace the engine, might as fucking well), will be about $10,000. I talked with my bank, and I qualified for a loan of $8,000. I'll have to sock away money to make up the difference, and hope nothing else expensive happens to the car in the meantime

So what I need from you guys is to talk me out of this crazy bullshit, and convince me to ditch this fucking money pit of a car.
>>
>>14093236
comfort is more important than money if you have enough
>>
A 97? Fuck, for 10k you can get a pretty good old 60's one! Now thats comfort! Dont be an idiot, go buy a new car.
>>
>>14093236
you can probably find another eldorado for that much. hell, just let the head go. it would be cheaper.

10k for a swap, lolno.
>>
File: 00R0R_2pyhiFLU8rg_600x450[1].jpg (25 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00R0R_2pyhiFLU8rg_600x450[1].jpg
25 KB, 600x450
>>14093291
Hm. There's a thought.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5356736908.html
>>
>>14093309
why am i not surprised that you could easily find an old as fuck, nice looking caddy in vegas.
>>
File: 00S0S_awEgKC21cq5_600x450[1].jpg (37 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00S0S_awEgKC21cq5_600x450[1].jpg
37 KB, 600x450
Just spit ballin' here, but there are tons of used Crown Vics going for peanuts right now. They're nice big sedans with the gas guzzling V8 I've come to know and love, and the cops don't put that many miles on them before they ditch them. I imagine they don't ride as comfortably as a luxury car (don't know; haven't driven one), but surely improving the suspension would cost less than replacing an engine. What do you guys think? Pick up a big ol' Police Interceptor for $2500 and luxurify it verses my current plan.
>>
File: IMG_0723.jpg (4 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0723.jpg
4 MB, 4320x3240
>>14093394
If you don't mind me asking, what area do you live in? Chances are that you could probably find a Lincoln Town Car for similar money. I searched through a few areas on craigslist on most '95-97 Townies are going for no more than $2500 and they already have a V8 like you want, leather interior standard, and is one of the best riding cars I've ever been in. If you're wanting a luxobarge I'd look no further. Just avoid buying in major metropolitan areas as the price seem to hike up a bit.

>Pic related, my Town Car I bought for $500
>>
File: 00J0J_gO91v05xT53_600x450[1].jpg (24 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00J0J_gO91v05xT53_600x450[1].jpg
24 KB, 600x337
>>14093652
I'm in the Las Vegas area. It's almost all metro area in Clark County. There isn't another major market around me for hundreds of miles. However, thanks to the number of retirees, there are Lincoln Town Cars in abundance. Check this shit out.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5328729437.html
>>
>>14094467
Very nice. If you're ever looking to go in a hot rodding type of direction a DOHC Lincoln Mark VIII motor should drop right in, which would be 280HP instead of the stock 210HP of the SOHC Town Car engine(250HP for a P71 Crown Vic). The Mk. VIII motor is more responsive to modifications and cheaper to make power with than a two valve 4.6. However as a DD the stock 4.6 won't let you down. It isn't unheard of for them to hit over 400K miles(mine just rolled over 335,600). Usually the only thing that might kill it is if the oil pump wears out. Another plus is the transmission. All Ford Panthers platform(Crown Victoria, Gran Marquis, and Town Car) vehicles after 1993 came with the 4R70W automatic which is basically bulletproof and cam handle up to 700HP with minimal modifications. Anyway, good luck with the hunt! If you have any questions or concerns then just ask and I'll tell you everything I know.
>>
>>14097265
I need a daily driver, but if I was going to go in any direction as far as modification, I'd build a lowrider, not a hotrod.
>>
>>14093236
>replace the engine with a Jasper
>cost of the engine, labor, rebuilt transmission
>$10,000
Jasper requires that an approved shop install their crate engines. Fuck that shit with a splintery ax-handle.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.