[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overheating 96 K1500
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: IMAG0043.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0043.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
I have a 96 Chevy Silverado and until this last Sunday she overheated to roughly 80% of the gauge before dropping to an operating temperature and only blowing hot air through the vents for the short time she sat at operating temp before "overheating again. Just swapped the thermostat and filled her back up with coolant (she was really low) ran like a top Saturday and Sunday and today driving her for 2 minutes she legitimately overheated with no drop off. Radiator still has fluid (as nasty as it looks) but just started out the blue today. Any help would be much appreciated. Pic related. It's mine. Christy( Mack)
>>
Check radiator, thermostat, maybe even water pump.
>christy mack
Because she takes a beating amirite?
>>
I'm not very familiar with the cooling system on those trucks but did you properly bleed the system of all air?

Also why was it low on coolant in the first place?
You might need to dig deeper. Could be a failing intake or head gasket or possible small external leak somewhere.
>>
>>14090232

More than likely its the water pump...
>>
>>14090243
>>14090259
Also this.

The 'fins' or whatever the fuck you want to call them on the water pump will corrode away over time. The pump then doesn't flow enough coolant to sufficiently cool the engine.

I know it sucks to dump money into an old vehicle but you gotta start somewhere. Don't drive it if it's overheating, something is fucked.
>>
>>14090243

Nailed it.. and she's a dirty (muddy) girl and she's covered in ink (stickers)..and the proper method for bleeding her of air you mean running her and keeping the radiator topped, correct? And I hope it's not either of those latter choices..>>14090259
>>
>>14090259

Just did the water pump two years ago, I doubt that's it
>>
File: 1450467017855.png (36 KB, 146x200) Image search: [Google]
1450467017855.png
36 KB, 146x200
>she
>>
File: 1357271286549.jpg (4 KB, 80x91) Image search: [Google]
1357271286549.jpg
4 KB, 80x91
>>14090370
>come to /o/ for help
>someone gives an answer
>YEAH WELL THAT AINT IT YEE HAW I JUS DUNIT 2 YR AGO GIDDYUP
ok dipshit
>>
>>14090395
the water pump didn't corrode in 2yr. If it did his radiator would've already corroded into dust.
>>
Open the radiator cap start the try k and let it warm all the way up. Check for bubbles. If you see bubbles she's got a head gasket leak.

What does the dip stick look like? How about the oil cap? Does the cooling system smell funny?
>>
Also you're supposed to be using the Orange dexcool stuff in that vortec 350.
>>
>>14090450

Vortex was 97+, good looking out though
>>
>>14090432

Radiator is rusted to an extent. I will check the oil first thing tomorrow though as I've heard that's a telltale way to know if she's about to go
>>
>>14090423

I'm at the point I'm gonna swap the radiator. The fluids already brown as is the inside of the cap. The water pump shouldn't be bad yet and like I said I just did the thermostat Saturday. Like I said she stayed right at operating temp and blew heat like a dream Saturday and Sunday after swapping said thermostat. I will post update as soon as its swapped. I appreciate the help from everyone. Thanks guys.
>>
>>14090553
Buy an Autozone radiator, it's the same $80-120 Spectra you can get on Amazon/Rockauto but the warranty is worth the extra $20 or so.

Cut the old radiator in half afterward. I'm betting it's full of crud.
>>
>>14090590

Looks that way. And I will.. if only to confirm
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.