[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to a junk yard for the first time to look around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (663 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
663 KB, 1984x1488
I'm going to a junk yard for the first time to look around for shit for my car
Nothing specific just parts and stuff

I've don't know much about them so is there anything I should know
What parts should I leave or usually go bad on sitting cars?
>>
>>14089600
Generally stay away from anything rusted to absolute shit. Most engine components are usually fine. Stay away from the electrical and cloth upholstery. Leather can be fine if properly cleaned.
>>
Get the classic junkyard ls for 500 smackaroos
>>
File: IMG_7378.jpg (435 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7378.jpg
435 KB, 3264x2448
>>14089600
>Look around for shit for my car
>Nothing specific just parts and stuff

What are you doing?
"going to the store."
What are you gonna get there?
"nothing specific just food and stuff"
>try pulling this shit on /ck/

we want to know details OP.
Here's some vague answer to your vague question.
>what parts to leave?
anything made of rubber unless it looks really good, anything rusted beyond a sand and repaint, anything made to be replaced like filters, brake rotors, or spark plug wires, bearings and universal joints, glass.
>things of dubious quality but could be worth it:
Master and slave cylinders, power steering racks/pumps, any part of a/c system, electrical components, parking brake cables, control arms and other related front end parts, drive shafts and other related drivetrain parts like rear diffs/ cv joints, sensors, radiators, tires (check age)
>almost always worth it:
engine components, transmissions, body panels, intercoolers, turbos, charge pipes, interior/trim if it looks good, headlight/turn signal housings, grill.
>>
>>14089916
this.
try going to a salvage yard and not finding the turbos ripped out of any stock turbo car you can find
>>
File: seat2.jpg (112 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
seat2.jpg
112 KB, 768x1024
>>14089619
>Stay away from the electrical and cloth upholstery
Ehh, this depends on where you live. I got PR from a 93 Integra (To replace the one on the left), not threadbare, moldy, or deteriorated foam.
Luck also helps. Old clean seats are rare.

Also found an immaculate leather rear bench seat for my Jetta (Massively awesome, the old seatback folded down entirely, this 'newer' one is 2/3 split), still looking for some fronts.
>>
File: 346149048_b1a9211895.jpg (124 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
346149048_b1a9211895.jpg
124 KB, 500x375
>>14089600
Most people who go to wreckers (me included) own cars that should be in the wreckers and are trying to keep them alive. the cars in there are 1 of 3 things.
1) previously owned by someone who knew when to give up
2) collision wrecks
3) previously owned by people who didn't know when to give up and went broke trying to keep the thing alive.

2 and 3 often have lots of new and good parts, 2 is easy to spot but learn how to spot 3.

basically if it looks better than the part on your car, grab it.
>>
>>14089600
I own a small wrecking yard with abt 50 cars.. ama
>>
>>14090043
I crashed my car and want to find it for reasons. Is there any way to search for specific model cars in local junk yards?
>>
>>14090043
Is it actually worth it to have a small yard? I often thought about this but figured I'd just be buying myself a job I wouldn't otherwise take.
I wouldn't think it would be worth it unless you own a tow, after doing that for an Alberta winter I never want to do that again.
I can still feel the burn of -30c metal hooks in my hands after throwing my gloves to the side because I couldn't feel anything through them.
>>
>>14090148
yeah it's not really worth it a tow company would help a lot
>>14090144
no
>>
>find a turbo
>it's full of insects and arachnids
>>
>>14089600
Usually good for stuff like lights, body panels, trim, wheels, glass, and other stuff you might have a tough time finding OEM for on older vehicles.

I want a hard top and new wheels for my geo tracker, so I'd look at the trackers for both, and then the older jeeps and fords that share the same hub/bolt pattern for the wheels. Those old stock F150 4x4 wheels from the late-80's early-90's would be perfect for example. Normally wouldn't bother but I have to buy new tires soon anyway, would be nice to change it up a bit for cheap.
>>
>>14089916
hoses, rotors, full hubs, brake pads, etc are all quality junkyard finds m8
electrical components, rear diffs/ cv joints, sensors, radiators. also all good finds.

i mean basically everything in a junkyard is a good find.. trim just tends to be the best because its usually the most expensive and hardest to find.

i found an e21 lsd for $150 and flipped it for $750 without even touching it.
>>
I've been going to junkyards since I was a kid.
You never know what you might find there, and I love cars.
As a teenager my first car was a muscle car.
I bought it from an old alcoholic who had wrecked the suspension when he failed to negotiate a turn while he was driving under the influence. The left front wheel had slammed into a curb sideways, and crushed the lower control arm, folding the wheel under the car.

After towing her home, and removing all the damaged parts, I made a list of what I needed and headed to the junkyard.
In addition to the parts I needed I also found some upgrade for the car.
Before replacing the control arms, I purchased new bushings from an auto parts store. As others mentioned previously in this thread, some thing are better to buy new than used, such as rubber bushings, and belts.
Within a day, I had the car drivable.

Enjoy your adventure.
>>
>>14089932
>yfw the increased use of turbos will mean more junkyard turbos in the future
Then again, all the manufacturers are integrating them into the headers, and into the heads too.
>>
>>14093382
low compression turbo ... meh
>>
File: 1384049356175.gif (58 KB, 187x228) Image search: [Google]
1384049356175.gif
58 KB, 187x228
>>14089992
Sometimes you can find stickers that say "remanufactured part" on them too. So yeah, part that is noticably cleaner and less worn than its surroundings + indications of new or remanufactured part means that it may be worth getting.
>my face when the local pick n pull type junkyard jacked up the prices and now is searching anyone who comes in and out, even heard they have a scale to check your weight
Oh well. All they're doing is driving business to my dad's yard. We thought we charged a premium since we pull but now we cost the same and the customer doesn't need to crawl under a car to get it.
>>
>>14093400
It wont blow up your engine, and it'll be cheap. It's good enough.
>>
you ever see a car in a junkyard, and just know they didn't make it?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.