[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to get some lessons on how to drive manual tomorrow,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: 7.jpg (27 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
27 KB, 640x426
I'm going to get some lessons on how to drive manual tomorrow, but before I start, what's the best video(s) to help me understand the concepts behind it?
>>
>>14088939
you're over thinking it already. everyone does when they start
>>
>>14088939
Just browse YouTube.
>>
What concept are you not understanding? Clutch in, engine and transmission not together. Clutch out, engine and transmission together, keep engine alive.
>>
>>14088939
To change gear

>Step off the accelerator
>Depress the clutch pedal
>Move the gear stick into the desired gear
>Step off the clutch
>Step on the accelerator
>???
>PROFIT
>>
>>14088958
I find it helps if I understand the mechanics of whats going on when I'm trying to learn something.
>>
>>14088939
Also, just relax and enjoy yourself. You're not going to break the car if it happens to stall.

One thing that is good to know, once you start the car and have it in gear, you can slowly start to lift off the clutch without pushing the gas. There will be a point where the car will start to roll forward. That is the engaging point. It's a little helpful to get a feel for what degree your foot is at the moment it starts moving. Then ease into the gas and take off.

Nifty tip, if you feel that you've lifted up on the clutch pedal too much and it's going to die, you can quickly push the clutch back in and save it.
>>
>>14088987
I just told you. I think Engineering Explained will have the kind of video you'd want.
>>
>>14088987
Clutch lever is raising and lowering a disc against the flywheel of the engine. Depressing the pedal raises the clutch away from the flywheel. You must gently lower the clutch the flywheel, the friction and weight of slower moving drivetrain will try to kill the engine, you may conservatively use the throttle to counteract this force.
>>
>>14088939
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg
>>
>>14088989
Or give more gas
>>
File: StickShift.jpg (1 MB, 854x6436) Image search: [Google]
StickShift.jpg
1 MB, 854x6436
I swear we need a mod to sticky post a manual guide.

pic related though.
>>
watch Boku no shifto
>>
>>14088939
>>14088989
>One thing that is good to know, once you start the car and have it in gear, you can slowly start to lift off the clutch without pushing the gas.
This is all you need desu. I watched videos before I bought my manual and it hurt more than helped.
First thing to do is find level ground, put it in first, and let the clutch out super slow without gas. Once you get the hang of that the rest is easy.
>>
>>14088939
This thread is pointless since you can ask all of this shit tomorrow, when, you know, you're getting fucking lessons on manual driving.
>>
>>14089083
> burning up the clutch is caused by pressing the clutch too long

not really
it's caused by letting the clutch slip more than necessary
using the pedal itself will wear out the throwout bearing faster, but it usually doesn't go before the clutch disc anyway
>>
>>14089075
Not really, that can cause you to spin out or flutter the throttle if you have a DTC active.
>>
>>14088939
Before starting the car, make sure to put the car in 1st gear. Then hold the accelerator hard down against the floor, without engaging any other pedals. Go ahead and start the car after doing this.

This will prevent flooding.
>>
>>14089386
Nice 1 gaiboi
>>
>>14089386
I tried this but nothing happens when I turn the key
>>
>>14089578
He's fucking with you. That will flood the engine.

Also, you can't start the car if you don't press the clutch in first.
>>
>>14089083
I wish my car had straight cut gears like in that infographic
>>
>>14089603
>can't start the car if you don't push the clutch in first
Only shitbox corollas have this "feature"
>>
>>14089692
No you don't.
>>
Yuro here. I learned on a stick and did fine until I got my own car which had a fucked up clutch.

Got an auto and never looked back.

Depending on car make you can have easy and fun shifting or horrible. BMW, Merc are all soft and easy.
>>
>>14088939
Mercedes Mechanic here...

NO! OP! BAD! NO!
You're complicating this before you've even gotten started. Let whoever is teaching you teach you. They will understand you have no experience, stop being nervous.

Its WAY simpler than you think.
Let off the clutch while moving to gas.
Press clutch when you want to shift.
Press clutch again if you're slowing to a stop.

Its really simple. The only complicated part will be getting a feel for the transition from clutch to gas... and that can't be learned from ANY video, you have to get a feel for it.

This is why manual driving can't be faked. You will ALWAYS know who isn't used to stick because they haven't acquired a feel for it.

Just trust your instructor.
Don't unnerve yourself by trying to study for this shit.
>>
>>14088939
It's not rocket science. You will stall, but you will get it after you find the biting point
>>
>>14089701
Along with every other modern car in existence.

Get a manual car after 1989, poorfag.
>>
>>14089302
At least this is better than /v/ with "Just bought game what should I expect?"
>>
File: 1448842005385.jpg (17 KB, 385x387) Image search: [Google]
1448842005385.jpg
17 KB, 385x387
I just came back from my 5th driving lesson and i still can't do it right. I keep not pressing the throttle enough coming off the clutch and at the end my driving instructor told me it was like i'm scared of driving.

Which i am. I'm about to give up on this shit.
>>
>>14088939
I just started driving a stick a month or so ago, the second you start to match your speed with your rpm, it will just become getting smoother with everything. It's going to be a rough start, TRUST ME. But if you're competent and think simply about it all, you should be fine OP.
>>
>>14091901
keep at it anon. i was literal shit at driving my car for 2 weeks. you'll get it down.
>>
>>14091901
I drove 375 miles away to trade in my automatic and bought a manual. You learn real fucking quick when you commit to something and stop being a fucking pussy.
>>
>>14091901
Don't be too scared of it. Just keep your RPM's higher when you're first launching (aka leaving from a stop). Once you get the hang of it, lower them more and more until you've got the hang of it.
>>
>>14089735
only in Murrica, where people are too dumb to start a car without it.
>>
>>14091901
Before your next paid lesson, go somewhere remote with a friend and practice.
Driving is scary shit until you're used to it.
>>
>>14092008
Okay i'll try

>>14092011
>stop being a fucking pussy.
That seems impossible

>>14092012
Okay

>>14092020
I don't have any friends and i don't really know anybody with a car.
>>
>>14092026
As odd of advice as it will sound, try driving at night. That way, less cars around, less to worry about, and you can kinda practice at your own pace. And remember, you don't have to downshift through every gear to get to something lower (i.e. 55 in 5th to 30 in 2nd ((or 3rd)). Just pop it in neutral and coast for a few, then match your RPM's to your speed and shift like normal. It's not F1, just relax and take it easy.
>>
>>14092026
Stop being a fucking pussy, there are so many people who still drive manuals that it's absurd to feel like it's some task you can't accomplish unless you really feel that all of those people, some of them who are genuinely retarded, are better than you.
>>
>>14092041
I can't really drive on my own and i don't have car. I don't even have a license yet.
>>
>>14092046
Well shit. Just practice more then. The idea of how to drive a manual is simple enough, along with the task of doing so. The only tricky thing is being smooth with it all and not grumbling the engine or being rough on your front or rear axles.
>>
>>14088939
go very easy on the pedals. when going forward when you press the gas and its not enough SLOWLY press gas pedal harder. lots of newbs press it hard too quick and you end up wearing out the clutch. take it easy on your first time
>>
i swear to god the same guy is posting these threads every day as an epic ruse

there cant possibly be a unique visitor every single day creating the same thread.
>>
>>14092013
Confirmed 12 year old
>>
>>14089979
I haven't visited /v/ for years, so I wouldn't know.
>>
Why don't people learn manual when they learn to drive?
>>
Driving a stick is pretty much one of the best anti theft devices in the United States. Most people only know autotragics
>>
>>14093023
Why though? Why is there the cultural difference?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Getting the hang of it, just going forward and back in this old 4.2L Ferd.
>>
>>14093006
Americans don't.
>>
>>14089083
A guide on how to burn your clutch, nice.
>>
>>14093087
People just eat the transmission cost at the dealership, if they even come with automatic options. In the used car market they end up costing about the same anyways.
>>
>>14091901

the most important thing is to just really slowly release the clutch, you dont need any throttle.
>>
>>14091901
stop taking lessons and practice on your own
>>
File: modified-h-pattern.jpg (22 KB, 236x305) Image search: [Google]
modified-h-pattern.jpg
22 KB, 236x305
>>
>>14089083
Is "free rolling" really as bad as this image makes it out to be? I do it all the time and it makes braking a lot more precise in my experience. Does it do any damage? The only time I ever actually engine brake is when I'm on an empty highway and coming to a stop. In town or whenever I might need to brake quicker than expected (say the guy in front of me on the freeway is weirdly slow or hits his brakes out of nowhere) I just depress the clutch and hold it there while braking accordingly, then release into the appropriate gear to match my speed when it's time to get going.

I've never had a problem with this and had no idea it was frowned upon
>>
>>14095099
You should keep the car in gear as much as possible unless you're actually coming to a stop and are at low speed.
>>
>>14093006
Almost no one owns a manual in america only something like 10℅ of cars sold in America are manuals and even if you know some who knows how to drive it chances are he or she nolonger has one its really hard to find some one to practice with.
>>
>>14091901
buy a manual.
its what i did.
forced me to learn.
>>
>>14094249
This is literally my favorite picture
>>
>>14094249
What is this for
>>
>>14089735
I've driven a manual Honda, vw, and Chevy, and none of them required you to have the clutch pressed in to start the car
>>
>>14091901
you're failing only because you've failed at every thing else in your life you don't know how to succeed
>>
>>14091901
Practice on your own, instructors just slow you down.

Go find an empty stretch of road, and just practice stop/starting/creeping in 1st gear and backing up in R. Once you've got the hang of that, everything else is easy and you can safely drive around.
>>
>>14096792
>instructors just slow you down
gotta go fast
>>
>>14096792
From the sounds of it he doesn't even have his drivers license yet so this may not be an option for him
>>
>>14096918
>wojak

Shame he doesn't have a friend to borrow a car from. Maybe ask the dealer for a test drive and hope you don't break it?
>>
>>14096619
Mine too, but figuratively.
>>
I have a Class A license and can double clutch a 10 speed big rig just fine. I've never driven a manual car though. I wonder how I'd fair...
>>
>>14089701
My 13 gli does this.
>>
>>14093087
Women. Automatics, power steering and power brakes were invented so women could drive cars. Many households could only afford one car so they'd spend more for an automatic
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.