[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just looking for some advice here. Thinking of purchasing either
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (643 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
643 KB, 1334x750
Just looking for some advice here.

Thinking of purchasing either the new Miata (auto), used 2015 Volvo S60, or the new wrx (auto).

Before I hear about the auto, I work in the Bay Area so the stop go traffic will suck, and none of my friends have a manual I can practice with.

Tbh I just need a reason why I should not purchase these cars.

Thanks /o/
>>
>>14088330
if you're getting a sportscar you should get a memeshift..
>>
>auto
kill yourself faggot
>>
>>14088333
Thing is, I just want to enjoy the feeling of the car without having to use my right hand to shift 90% of the time. Also the bay has some serious hills and I don't have confidence in my ability to shift anyhow.
>>
>>14088342
see
>>14088341
>>
>>14088350
Not everyone knows how to drive a manual.
>>
>>14088330
>I work in the Bay Area so the stop go traffic will suck
stop being a pussy ass faggot
>none of my friends have a manual I can practice with
fair enough reason i guess, still a bitch tho

but youre wanting such an awkward selection, you want a coupe rwd, yet you want awd 4 door, and then the volvo? what do you want in life? the miata is nice for parking and nimble through any kidna traffic w/o worrying about clipping someone, the wrx is nice 4 door but you dont really need awd where you live, if anything the awd system is just one more thing that could break or easily stressed going up these damn hills. and the volvo is just a car to me, isnt too appealing. I'd say miata. but i dont know if you have kids, dogs, a job where you move people around. idk im not you.
>>
>>14088358
as if it were hard

I learned in a day in and old piece of shit ranger
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>14088373
I was only considering the wrx for safety reasons in harsher weather. Miata I really like, but don't know how much of a pain it would be for everyday use. Volvo is same as Subaru , car around 30k that is comfy and safe.

Pic related, selling my 08 Dodge Ram with 60k miles so I can get a smaller car
>>
>>14088387
how often do you go into "harsh weather"? I was able to handle winter in New Jersey with my 6speed rx8 in 7" - 1 foot of snow, I dont think san fran weather gets that bad. as for safety, the wrx might be better because there is more "car" there but I dont think its that much better. so many variables to a cars safety rating without it considered a tank. I'd say miata for MPG against cali hills anyways, since clearly you're not interesting in performance.
>>
>>14088377
I do not have a piece of shit ranger
>>
>>14088330
New wrx is cvt. Avoid it if you have any plans of making power. It will be a money put and you manual couterparts will always be faster for less money. Cvts are bottom bitch in reliablity. manual>auto>cvt

Volvo will be pricey if something breaks. Ok if you have the means to foot the potential high repair cost.

Best bet is miata. Mazda is top 5 in reliabilty, the miata uses a normal tq converting auto, and it's easy to maintain.
>>
>>14088342
takes like a day at best to learn manual, it's really fucking easy. the rest of the world does it.
>>
I think you should get the manual, especially if you get a Miata or WRX (I don't know much about the Volvo). I made the mistake of getting an auto on my car, 2008 Golf, which is a pretty boring DD car anyway. I still wish it was a manual.

I commute through heavy traffic every day so I figured auto was the right choice. I regret it every fucking day. As soon as I'm not stuck in a traffic jam, it's miserable. It has a "sport" mode and an option for semi manual, which I guess is better than nothing, but those are still paltry imitations of what a real manual is like.

If you get any kind of fun car, think really hard about this. It will take you an hour or two to get the basics of manual down and after driving it for a week or two it'll all become muscle memory and you won't even think about it 99% of the time. The traffic jam convenience of auto is not worth the shitty experience the rest of the time!
>>
>>14088439
Is this true? I have always been told manual will be more expensive over time due to clutch issues.
>>
>>14088452
The only time driving a manual in traffic is if you're in gridlock traffic for hours in a day, then it only kinda sucks. Truck drivers do this every day, so complaining about it is just being a bitch. Probably the worst thing is sometimes it's difficult to take a drink and those motherfuckers who cut you off when you're just trying to stay in gear at idle.
>>
>>14088452
yea, I agree with the whole, you waont even think about it 99% of the time. every sunday my wife and i go out to get ice cream, and theres no fuckin way im letting her hold my shit while i drive, so ice cream in left hand, right hand shift and right hand is steering, sometimes the left wrist will hold the wheel or my knee and i get us home without a single issue in my driving performance or fluidity during shifting. just gotta play the clutch more since my going to be snapping from right hand shifting to it steering. but manual is easy once you learn the fundamentals. plus bitches like that shit.
>>
BayAreafag here, i feel you on the A/T.
If i didnt have to deal with a 3 hour commute home in stop and go traffic everyday i wouldve gotten a Manual.

Avoid 880 like the plague btw
>>
>>14088342
I have a 2015 wrx, never drove a manual before, took 15 minutes to learn. Stalled it on day one, haven't stalled it since. Don't get an autotragic
>>
I am really feeling the auto Miata, one hand on wheel, other on your girl
>>
>>14088467
Clutches are normal wear items. If you aren't clutch dumping from every stop then it should last upwards to100k+. They are easy to replace and most shops can do relatively cheap and in a short amount of time. Auto trannys especially new fancy cvt tend to be nonserviable beyond fluid changes. Most dealer and private repair shops would rather remove and replace automatics rather than risk a rebuild that will probably last 3000 miles that will have the customer coming back to complain. They are a lot more complex and have a lot more things you can Fuck up.

I used to have a 08 lancer with a cvt. I had some solenoid fail and get stuck open at 60k and rather than replace the solenoid or try to get it unstuck the dealer scraped the whole thing and got me a new one under warranty. 20,000 miles later that one popped to because it kept overheating on the highway and had it replaced under warranty again. I got rid of it soon avert since I didn't want try to lemon it with 20k left on the warranty. Two tranny replacements in less than 100k would have destroyed my wallet if I hadn't bought the car new with warranty
>>
>>14088516
>girl
>>
Go buy a $3000 Toyota Corolla with an automatic transmission for commuting. Buy a sports car that is manual. Not to mention it keep the miles off of it.
>>
>>14088341
Manual fan boys are fucking obnoxious. A good auto transmission can shift faster and smoother than any person could.
>>
>>14088762
except that is wrong, faggot

sequential manuals shift faster than your torque converter automatic and have less power loss

now kill yourself, faggot
>>
>>14088515
Is your wrx comfy?
>>
>>14088516
So you're a lesbian? Post pics.
>>
>>14088330
Op ,your the type of person to make excuses for not knowing how to do shit. I commute to SF 5 DAYS A WEEK in a manual miata with no problems. Your just a bitch that likes to talk on the phone n shit while he drives
>>
>>14089419
Meet me irl and teach me stick with your Miata
>>
>>14088762
>why use your brain to do math when a calculator can math for you
>>
Get the s60. wrx is for boy ricers and miata is only fun in manual.
>>
>>14088330
just lease a Prius until you move out of the bay area
>>
How are you getting a '15 S60 for 30k?

Fucking Murricans that is 1:1 in euros here probably more.
>>
Buying a car with 100 hp on a cold day, with an auto.

Nah man, just nah...
>>
Can say that i hate the steering feel of the S60, it's electronic. but it's got a really good suspension setup if you get R-design so that's good. It's got haldex so the AWD isn't that good. You'll have the same problem if you go with an automatic impreza so if you were to go for the Impreza i would highly suggest you get one with manual gearbox so you'll get a proper AWD system. I'm not 100% sure if the new auto subarus come with the old automatic AWD system, but if it does, get the manual.

Build quality of the Volvo is really good and is just more pleasant to be inside than Audis and Mercs.

Miata is a Miata, slow as shite and is a convertible.
>>
If you get an automatic Miata, you will regret it. Not because will call you a pussy. Not because you'll miss out on the feeling of superiority over slushbox-schlepping pieces of shit. But one day you will realize how the involvement and superior control of the manual transmission is essential to a car like the Miata, and you will know true buyer's remorse. Do yourself a favor and learn to drive manual, and get the Miata.
>>
>>14089739
I wonder whatever happened to that fat tripfag that was going to buy an automatic miata
>>
>>14088743

Except it's the bay area and I'd imagine having a single parking space is a luxury. Let alone two.

I used to live in downtown San Diego and the cheapest parking I could find was four blocks from my apartment and cost $180 per month.
>>
>>14088330
>Miata
>auto
its like you hate fun
and if you do, just get a civic with a cvt or something
>>
>>14089893
I dont understand how enjoying a convertible that handles smoothly considered hating fun?
>>
>>14088342
If anything a manual should be better for the hills, you won't have to ride the breaks
>>
>>14088330
>auto

suck a dick Bayfaggot
>>
>>14088330
>auto
It's your car.
Let's look at that list.
>subie
Very, very no. The subaru automatic is a CVT. It's bad even among CVTs. With the subaru, ANY subaru, if it comes with a cvt, stay away.
>s60
If you can afford it, this one seems like a pretty good choice. The s60 is mostly reliable, has some cool-ass safety stuff, the auto is nice and smooth, the turbo ones are pretty quick. Plus, the girls think it's "luxury"
>miata
I mean, yeah, you could, but why? An auto-miata is truly the most hairdresser of cars. The Miata doesn't make much power anyway. Add an auto, which takes away power and limits your ability to keep the revs up where the (relative) power is, and it just doesn't seem that smart of a purchase.

I would, if I were you, consider a CPO Merc C-Class or an E90 3-series, pref a 335i. Both of these have nice and smooth transmissions, quality interiors, and enoigh gadgets to keep you occupied in the stop and go.

>MUH MANUALS
Yeah, it's better for driving. But, despite what you tell yourself, it does suck in stop-and-go, espevially for a beginner. Plus, there's no reason this has to be his only car. Having an automatic for the week and a manual for the weekend sounds just alright with me.
>>
>>14093340
Thanks a lot. I am looking at some 2015 3 series, trying to keep this at or below 30k
>>
>>14093340
>>MUH MANUALS
>Yeah, it's better for driving. But, despite what you tell yourself, it does suck in stop-and-go
[citation needed]
>>
>>14093656
Stay the hell away from a current gen bmw. The pre-2011 3 series is what you want. The new one is just an inferior mercedes.
>>
>>14093710
whats wrong with a current gen of BMW? Mind you I have no real automotive experience, and wont be checking under the hood every week.
>>
Holy shit op we are almost in the same situation. I'm gonna be selling my 06 ram but I am gonna get the forester xt for more room and a sleeper.
>>
>>14093656
The new 340i is actually better than the Merc c450 amg or Audi S4
>>
>>14093727
Recently, BMW seems to kind of lost it's way. I haven't driven a new 3 series since 2012, when the gen came out, but it just felt kind of aimless, like a psych major working as a barista. It was a car that didn't really have an ideal that it waa designed for. The previous gen 3, by comparson, was not a perfect car, but it did feel like it was engineered for a purpose, the "ultimate driving machine". In this regard, it was pretty damn near perfect.
The new 2 series is sort of a continuation of that ideal, so give it a look too.
>>
The WRX CVT has been almost universally praised by auto journalists, despite what some people might have you believe in this thread. A quick Google search with bear this out.

The Subaru CVTs are chain driven (c.f. Nissan's Jatco toroidal "rubber band" CVT), and aren't any less reliable than typical planetary automatics. The CVT will not offer the same feel or performance as the manual, but it's on par with any other automatic transmission.

>>14093340 and >>14088439 are very much misinformed. In fact, much of the auto industry is moving towards CVTs in lieu of planetary autos. We live in an age where modality is becoming king, hence even economy cars being offered with Sport settings and turbochargers and paddle shifters.
>>
>>14088330
Get the Volvo, an auto Miata or WRX is going to suck more. At least the Volvo auto will be better.
>>
>>14088330
>>14088342
I work in the bay area as well.

I'll put it this way, if you get auto you won't think you're missing anything.

If you get manual you'll never go back.
>>
>>14088762
> autofags think shifting speed is the only thing that matters

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=12&zenid=M17iqGFL2Y5cOMBNClH3T2
>>
>>14093807
What's with the new numbers in the naming scheme? I didn't realize that there was a M4 until recently. /o/ usually just pays attention to 3 and 5 series, so that's all I see.
>>
>all these complaints about stop-and-go

I never got this meme. You should have no problem letting your car creep in first for the MAJORITY of the traffic jam as long as you're not tailgating the car in front of you.
>>
>>14093855
BMW was always supposed to have even-coupes, odd-sedans. The 3 coupes were always an exception.
>>
>>14094704
Isn't there a 4 series sedan?
>>
>>14094704
And 1 coupe...
>>
>>14095532
>>14095548
BMW doesn't adhere to their standards like they used to.
Generally, if both body styles exist within a series, the dominant one is the classifier. The 4 series 4 door is explained as a "four door coupe", like the merc CLS, while the 1 series was always intended to be more coupe oriented.
>>
>>14095591
Well, the even numbers today are simply the more expensive flavors of their odd counterparts.

The 4 series is just a slight redesign of the 3 with more, better options out of the box and for a premium price.
>>
>>14088330

Do not get the WRX in auto OP. They are known to have issues. My room mate had one and his transmission somehow managed to stall. The Maintenance guys at the dealership said they had been having several come in for similar issues.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.