[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily driving a Jeep Wrangler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12
File: jeep.jpg (58 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
jeep.jpg
58 KB, 640x430
What are the pros and cons of daily driving a Jeep Wrangler? I'm considering as my next vehicle, but worried that I'll get annoyed by the following:
>Highway driving
>Sloppy handling
>Road noise
>Fuel economy

Is it worth it?
>>
>>14087549
All cons, no pros.
>>
>>14087549
I daily drove a second gen Explorer for years. It's nowhere near as bad as a Jeep Wrangler, but it was still nearly unbearable. I would highly recommend NOT getting the Wrangler as a DD.
>>
>>14087549
>cons
Faggots in other Jeeps wave at you.
>>
>>14087549
Buy an old one with the 4.0L. People love em. Taking the top off is fun.
>>
Also, How do new Wranglers compare to previous generations? I hear a lot of hate for the Chrysler-era ones.
>>
File: 1.jpg (684 KB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
684 KB, 3072x1728
>>14087567
The CJ is legendary, the YJ is a roller skate, the TJ is god mode for wranglers, the JK is for people that think they want a wrangler and most buy a 4 door.

From someone that does daily a Wrangler TJ, it isn't bad but the short wheelbase coupled with a high center of gravity causes some body roll even with proper dampers on my lift. There will be wind noise, more so with the soft top but that's to be expected from a convertible. Interior comfort isn't bad considering it is an SUV, but the rear seats are smallish, again to be expected.

But the biggest negative, which I knew getting into it, is the fuel mileage. Now, I drive a full size slab side with a big block and get 6-10mpg at best downhill with a tailwind. Best I have ever gotten from pic related is 13/gal, partially because of the larger tires and lift partially because of the 3.73 gears. Either way, I love the Wrangler, if you need to get somewhere it will take you there. They are cheap and simple to work on, the 4.0 is nigh on unkillable as were the NV transfer cases. The 2000+ models got coil on plug as opposed to a distributor and the efi is solid.

Tl;dr Know what you are getting into from the beginning and you will live the Wrangler. Doing it just to say you own one will make you hate it. Happy trails anon.
>>
>>14087567
Great. They finally ditched the 4.0.
>>
>>14087549
They aren't as bad/sloppy on the freeway as people on /o/ say. Contrary to popular belief, it is not very hard to make a solid-axle car drive well - the technology has been well understood for a century now. It's only after you add some shitty aftermarket lift kit and stick 33's on it that they start to wander all over the fucking road.
>>
>>14087549
Get unlimited. 2-door is for chicks.
>>
>>14087673
You have that backwards anon. I wouldn't buy a 4 door wrangler, id jump to a Grand Cherokee if I needed 4 doors.
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 960x720
I had a 2012 2 door JK with the 6 speed manual -

>Highway Driving
Lots of road noise from my mud terrain tires and wind noise from a fibreglass top. When the wind was heavy you really felt it in the steering.

>sloppy handling
It was that bad - super short wheelbase so it was a breeze to manuever anywhere. Also made parking a breeze.

>Road noise
Only noticeable at highway speeds

>fuel economy
I averaged about 17 MPGs between city and highway driving, on a long drive I could get up to 21 MPGs.

If you have anymore questions just let me know.

>pic related, my jeep
>>
>>14087673
You got the backwards. OP it's going to be terrible for anything that isn't offroading, look elsewhere for a DD
>>
>>14087833
>the Wrangler isn't good for on road driving!!!!
>Get a Corolla or something /o/ approved instead!!!!!

A Wrangler is a fine DD, hows your FWD shitbox do in a foot of snow?
>>
>>14087843
I have two RWD sports cars and DD both, stop trying to deflect legitimate criticism with fallacies because you can't admit a universally accepted fact is correct
>>
>>14087843
>implying you've ever needed to drive through a foot of snow
>>
Not worth it
>>
DDd a TJ for 2 years. It was great.
Then again I'm not a giant pussy
>>
>>14087853
>Implying I don't live in the Northern Midwest where our average snowfall for December is in excess of 40".

Not everyone lives in the liberal shithole that is California anon.
>>
>>14087606
>the JK is for people that think they want a wrangler and most buy a 4 door.

Do other Jeep owners really look down on people with JK's? Are the newer ones not as "raw" or something?
>>
>>14087897
More ad hominems then?
>>
>>14088114
They don't feel like the CJ -TJ wranglers and are easier to live with in 4 door form. The 3.6 as well as all the added equipment add weight and extra things that are not as water resistant or abuse resistant. The older ones are also a bit smaller and have a cheaper aftermarket. The JK 2 door is still extremely capable, but I will only buy a TJ because of the proven reliability time and time again in extreme circumstances. There are also guys with 60k+ in a TJ which goes a lot further than 60k in a JK.
>>
>>14088128
What I said was not an ad hominem anon, it was a factual statement with a heap of assumption that you live in a southern state climate.
>>
>>14087897
I live in the northern midwest as well. I've had a Wrangler before when I was in high school. It was decent for tooling around but not great on the highway. If you are worried about snow I think there are a lot of other SUVs that do just fine. The roads aren't /that/ bad and I live in a rural area.

If it is a daily driver, and not an offroader, then keep it stock. Don't put mud tires and a lift kit making the steering, road noise and center of gravity even worse.
>>
>>14087877
/thread
Everybody go home now
>>
>>14088372
Mine is a daily and an offroader. I have another car I can drive but prefer not to get salted to death in it. The Wrangler is undercoated and I agree that a lift harms stability, but a little experience driving the vehicle takes away the pendulum feel.
>>
Does 75-80 mph in the fast lane feel sketchy?
>>
Also, Will 4-door unlimited feel more stable at highway speeds? If so, I might opt for that since I do a lot of highway driving.
>>
>>14088455
The 4 door is more stable but not as easy to turn or maneuver. While still commendable off road, the 2 door is in a different class. Either way, highway speed is about the same to me. I drove a 2 door to KC MO and a 4 door back doing 80 most of the way. The 4 door was slightly more comfortable, but not $2000 more comfortable.
>>
>>14087549
Make sure you get a hardtop so undesirables don't knife your ragtop.
>>
Are we seriously having a conversation on how jeep wranglers handle at highway speeds?
>silver2doorJK.jpeg
>>
>>14088845
How is that not relevant if considering as a daily driver?
>>
File: 1431800861644.jpg (138 KB, 1067x910) Image search: [Google]
1431800861644.jpg
138 KB, 1067x910
>>14088946
>>
Get a wj, wk, or wk2 gc depending on how much you value off-road capability vs road comfort and budget.

I can almost guarantee a wk2 stock has more capability than you will ever kid yourself into needing
>>
>>14088442
Yeah if it's at all windy outside. My TJ is great to drive around town, but it sucks ass if you have any sort of highway commute > 20 min.

I live in Upstate NY, and I'm going to be moving about 45 min north of my current job. Thinking about selling the TJ because it's going to be a death trap on a snowy highway with winds.
>>
My mom and sister have them 2014 models. Biggest meme vehicle ever.
Pros big aftermarket
Cons
jeep community
Can't drive anywhere with every other jeep waving at you.
Super small inside
You always have to duck to see the stop light
Bad gas mileage they get 17 a gallon. But gas is cheap
>>
>>14089267
>gas is cheap
Just filled up my Civic for $18. Fight me.
>>
My wife wanted a wrangler, drove it, hated it

I have a liberty with the 6 speed, I fucking love it, most of the wrangler pros, only a few cons
>>
>>14087549
Don't get a Wrangler. For $30k you can just get a base Grand Cherokee.
>>
File: DSC_0040.jpg (2 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0040.jpg
2 MB, 3920x2204
>>14087877
DDd a CJ for a whole year, military style, no doors, no seat belts, no roof, no head rests or anything that could be called safety
Had a blast, if it started to rain, I would just take off my shirt to wrap my cellphone on it and keep driving
Pic related is not the one I DDd, but its the current one I have
>>
>>14089267
>other jeep ownsers being nice o you
>con
I will never understand how some one else being nice to you on the road is a con
>>
Jeep Wrangler, wang dangler
>>
>>14089710
The Wrangler and GC aren't really comparable these days.
>>
>>14089859
Bad ass
I'd like another Wrangler, even an older CJ but I'd probably end up with a LJ Rubicon if it came down to it
Dem lockers, dat LWB.
6 speeds are still going for over 20k though. 70k 5.56 or a toy vehicle, tough choice.

Do miss the Jeep wave
>>
>>14087561

This is a deal breaker desu senpai.
>>
>>14087561

>Drive CJ3
>People in Wranglers always wave at me.
>Visibly cringe at them.
>>
File: IMAG0368.jpg (880 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0368.jpg
880 KB, 1520x2688
It's fun in the snow and fun to hop curbs at the mall, things have broken on mine but easy fixes.
>>
File: 1387139026942.png (179 KB, 538x601) Image search: [Google]
1387139026942.png
179 KB, 538x601
>>14087561
>when older men in Defender smile or wave at you
fucking hell i don't even want to know what happens if i drive a miata
>>
>>14090481

Mutual JO typically followed by a blindfolded beej.
>>
File: 00c0c_it90soRQAnQ_600x450[1].jpg (29 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00c0c_it90soRQAnQ_600x450[1].jpg
29 KB, 600x450
>>14089859
>http://wausau.craigslist.org/cto/5358700551.html
>been looking at pic related
>going to look at it after xmas, if it isn't sold yet
>owner says engine smokes, clearly isn't original flathead by the box on the hood
>don't have a ton of cash to begin with
>just want a cool jeep to cruise around/deliver pizza in

I live in dekalb, and admittedly this wouldn't be the best buy for me. Thing is, there just aren't many lawnmower-tier vehicles left these days, and this jeep is better than any beetle I can find nearby, goddamn.
>>
File: 2015-10-26 20.03.22.jpg (3 MB, 2981x1676) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-26 20.03.22.jpg
3 MB, 2981x1676
>>14090481
You get to see my kawaii
>>
>>14087549
Buy a TJ and wait 3 years for a JL
>>
>>14090987
That if the seller is right appears to be a for flathead four. Brutally simple, if it smokes find out the color and let us know. I say why not, worst that happens you have a fun toy to cruise in. Get a bill of sale and see state laws about a title.
>>
>>14087549
If you're not driving a Wrangler TJ you shouldn't be driving a Jeep Wrangler at all
>>
File: 00h0h_9DQ2fODeZg3_600x450[1].jpg (20 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00h0h_9DQ2fODeZg3_600x450[1].jpg
20 KB, 337x450
>>14091132
Look at the hood. See that box? That was most likely installed to get more clearance for the induction system of a different engine. Most likely is the later F-head, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a v6 under there.
Fingers crossed that it's still around in a week.
>>
File: 45739846532856.jpg (157 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
45739846532856.jpg
157 KB, 960x720
Honestly, DDing a JK isnt that bad but like others have mentioned there is better options out there for cheaper. I got mine for the purpose of actually going offroading, I always get idiots telling me "omg I want one, I'm gonna go buy one" and I always tell them, "if you don't plan on using 4L then don't bother, its an elephant on the road". pic related, my elephant.
>>
>>14091387
To be fair, even if the on-road ride is awful, it's still a really fun car to drive under highway speeds, even if it's just windy country roads.
>>
>>14091207
Yeah and that's why I said a ford Flathead 4. I do want to know what engine it is, please keep us posted.
>>
>>14092222
And I wouldn't say the ride in a TJ wrangler is awful but then again I owned a YJ so there is that. But comfort also depends on the person as I think my 84 D200 Power Ram was comfortable for an 80s truck same as I think my TJ is comfortable.
>>
I still think it's funny that the new 2-door Wrangler accelerates to 60 in roughly 7 seconds. BRZ owner's buttholes just puckered.
>>
I DD a bone stock jeep tj 4.0 for roughly am 80 mile commute daily. It costs me like 12 dollars a day in gasonline. Using my odometer and topping it off I've calculated I make roughly 18-20 highway right now which isn't the greatest but whatever. I personally love everything about my jeep, the low grumble, the torque, the shitty handling its fun for me to drive.

Also its the first car I've ever worked on. Bought a Haynes manual and some tools and started maintaining/repairing. Started with oil change and air filter, replaced fuel pump, did brakes, replaced fuel filler neck and evap linesto charcoal canister, and most recently took off the power steering pump and intake manifold to replace the exhaust manifold which cracked. Pretty decent learning experience and all fun to drive. I've take it off road a handful of timea but nothing crazy just dirt hills and some mud since everything is stock and the shocks and coils from 1999 have sagged effectively killing my clearance. 4hi and 4 lo are lots of fun. My wife and I are kind of becoming outdoorsy people and the jeep fits our lifestyle
>>
>>14089605
>liberty
>having any pros
New maymay spotted
>>
If one were to buy new...
>Sport S?
or
>Sahara ?

Rubicon too pricey.
>>
>>14093874
>>14093874
>Sahara
Literally trim package: the meme. Has a few cosmetic differences and costs 10k more then the freedom/willies which are nicer desu
>>
>>14093874
Depends. I'd go for a Sport without the S package because I don't need to spend the extra on power windows and locks. I would option a hardtop and AC, but the wheels and tires aren't worth the package price. You can get a brand new set of take off Sahara or Rubicon wheels for under a grand and be at the level of an S minus power windows. My reasoning behind ditching the power is the doors are heavy without the power windows and I take those off quote a bit.

Source: Wrangler owner and I work for a Jeep dealer. Ask away and Ill help.
>>
>>14093908
>10k

Wtf are you smoking, wheeler to Sahara is 1600 bucks and freedom is only 105 difference. Now a Rubicon Hard Rock is almost 10k more than a wheeler.
>>
>>14093912
I'd take the base Sport for sure if it didn't come with those dinky wheels. Power windows aren't that big a deal for me.
>>
>>14093946
Like I said, the dinky wheels are cheaper to change than buying the S package. I'm looking at CL right now and see at least 10 sets including spare for under 1000.
>>
>>14093946
Just did another search and found 5 brand new 18" Sahara wheels sans tires for 125.
>>
>>14093930
Got a freedom edition in July for 31k all the Sahara I saw at the 3 or 4 dealers I had checked our were 39k+
>>
>>14094092
Those are fully optioned out. We have one in stock right now, manual trans, Black HT, and Cold weather package for 32000.
>>
>>14094130
What do Sport and Sport S start at?
>>
>>14094167
Sports start around 26 package around 28500. Depends on transmission as well. I can spec both up if you want.
>>
>>14094537
I'd go with the manual. Probably too poor for a hardtop.
>>
>>14094756
Gimme a second. I'll spec a base sport. Want AC?
>>
>>14094811
26790 with a hardtop.
>>
>>14094811
>AC
Yes plz
>>
>>14093850

Same transmission, transfer case, rear end, rear suspension. The 2 major mechanical differences are the front suspension and engine

Overall there is less wind noise, better gas milage, and handling on the highway during high wind and towing. It cost me less than half than a comparable wrangler.
>>
>>14087561
this
also OP listed everything that is eternally wrong with these vehicles. They are not gud cars
>>
>>14096121
But anon, the 3.7 is a shit engine. Even the 3.8 offered in the 2nd Gen and the Wrangler was trash. The Liberty was a good idea with a bad Daimler plan that was meant to replace the Cherokee and it was worse in every way except fuel economy. The transmission is NOT the same, the liberty used a 45RFE from the TJ wrangler whereas the Wrangler did and still does use a Mercedes 5 speed which is decent. The transfer cases were also different in ratio but were both made by NewVenture. The front end is a Dana 30 not a 35, and the rear was an 8.25 Chrysler, not a Dana 44. The liberty is nit anywhere near the same class of vehicle.
>>
>>14088114
Yes, the jk is fucking gay. They made them to cushy so people that don't need then own them. With earlier wranglers only people who actually wheeled them owned them, because they were terrible in a dd role.

They did the same with heavy duty trucks, that's why we have so many trucks on the road now. It used to be you only bought a truck if you needed one because they were unbearable to dd.
>>
>>14087607
>implying there was anything wrong with it.
>>
>>14096193

But anon, I have the 6 speed manual which is the same transmission as the Wrangler as well as the 241J heavy duty manual transfer case.
I'm also aware how shit the 3.7 is, but, that doesn't stop me from wringing power from it with the transmission
Novak makes an adapter plate for an LS engine to mate to the Wrangler 6 speed (because of the bell housing patten) and I've already got an HPTuner from my previous car so I'm good to go as soon as the 3.7 has a major failure.
>>
>>14096264
Godspeed then. You must have the offroad group II then. I will stick with the 4.0 over the 3.7, but an LS would be fun. How does the t case and 8.25 like it though or are you going to D60 swap it?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.