[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Accidentally filled my shit with 10w30 today, it asks for 5w30.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: oilchange.gif (64 KB, 400x215) Image search: [Google]
oilchange.gif
64 KB, 400x215
Accidentally filled my shit with 10w30 today, it asks for 5w30. Is that shit gonna be hard on it? I know that it ain't gonna blow up. Just curious.
>>
You're fine till next oil change
>>
The oil is thicker than recommended, so it'd be bad if you strain your engine a lot but otherwise it should be fine.
>>
>>14085494

I've been running 15W in a car that recommends 5W for years and nothing bad has happened.
>>
>>14085494
Transitioning to heavier weight oil is something you'll probably have to do anyway as it gets older and a little leakier. It will be fine. But if it really bothers you, go spend another few bucks and change it again.
>>
If you don't live somewhere where it actually gets cold (below freezing and shit) you don't have anything to worry about.

That's all the 5W is for. Viscosity when the oil is cold. Some climates would do fine with regular SAE 30 even
>>
>>14085494
Drain the oil, and replace with correct oil.
>>
>>14085494
That seems like the wrong outfit to change your oil in
>>
>>14085494
If you live in a warm climate you might get away with it. The important part is that they are the same at operating temperatures.
>>14085598
No.
>>
>>14085494
Just let your engine warm up completely before driving off
>>
>>14085494
If its really cold where you are it could be bad. Like below zero cold. Otherwise dont worry about it.
>>
>>14085494
There is virtually no difference between the oils until below -25C, other than the 10w30 having a slightly better HTHS, less polymeric VIIs (some 10w30s have none, VIIs are bad). 10W30 is cleaner in high temp areas than it's higher spread counterparts, generally speaking.

There is a reason the S2000 with it's 9k RPM engine calls for 10w30, even though 5w30 was most popular during that era.
>>
>>14088134
>10W30 is cleaner in high temp areas than it's higher spread counterparts, generally speaking.

You're seriously retarded.
>>
>>14088134
It's not cleaner, the reason why the S2000 recommends a higher weight oil is because of this thing called SHEARING. When the oil gets super hot, like when a vehicle operates at a high rpm for a long time, the oil will shear down to a thinner weight and then it starts leaking through the pcv system. That's why a lot of boosted cars, especially those running increased boost, use 5w40.
>>
>>14088134
Man, you don't know shit.
>>
>>14088226
>5w40
So why does the S2000 recommend 10-30W?
>>
>>14088233
Probably because of specific design tolerances
>>
>>14088233
Because the engineers found it ideal? Ask them, you stupid nigga, they know more than you or any of us.
>>
>>14088226
>5w40
But a 5w40 is going to have even more viscosity modifiers than a 5w30 or 10w30.
>>
>>14085494
It's fine.
>>
>>14088203
When it comes to motor oil, there are a lot of fucking watercooler educated morons out there that like to spout their vague opinions as facts. That's just the nature of the motor oil game.
OTOH there are equally as stupid people that simply take a contrarian position, based on the former, but being ignorant of the latter- the latter being that they are just as uneducated as the former.

I love it when I say things that are factually correct and are based on years of education and experience, only to have the contrarian retard reply with contrarian retarded shit.

Lucky for you, I'll spend the minute or two sharing some actual information

Here are some tests to get your stupid fucking as started.
(PROTIP: learn what they are before making data comparisons)

>TEOST high temp deposit test- this is literally "10W30 is cleaner in high temp areas than it's higher spread counterparts"
Compare any 5w30/20 to 10w30 from the same line, ie QSAD, PYB

>NOACK volatility test
Compare the % volatilized mass between any 5w30/20 to 10w30 from the same line, ie QSAD, PYB
The greater the vaporized mass, the heavier the components left behind are for the same KV100 oil. As the higher volatility components continue to vaporize (VII polymers, PPDs), heavier and heavier waxy, oxidized sludge remains.

When an oil with a higher level of polymeric VIIs gets coked around the hottest areas of an engine, such as the piston ring pack and turbo bearing section, they form hard varnish-like plastics in these areas more readily than the same oil with less polymeric VIIs.

Since VIIs are used to make an oil achieve a specific -25/-30C cold start performance, the wider spread oils of the same base oil composition will always have more polymeric VIIs/PPDs, and will always contribute more to sludge and varnish vs the same base oil composition built to 10w30 (or the lowest viscosity spread oil) viscometrics.

That said, modern 10w30s are fantastic oils. If you want to know why, ask
>>
>>14088230
>>14088226
>>14088203
What's it feel like to get owned?
>>
>>14088226
>cleanliness (oxidation stability) and shear stability are not exclusive
I appreciate your input, but it's misguided. Shear stability is another topic altogether, and if you knew anything- ANYTHING about shear stability, you would have recognized my mention of HTHS in the previous post, instead of glossing over it because you have no idea how oil or shear stability really works.
>>
>>14088284
why
>>
>>14088316
Because they adopt all of the advancements of base oil technology, such as GrIII+ viscosity index, GTL, PAO etc which in their pure, straight forms already meet SAE 10w30 requirements. Therefore most often the 10w30 grade has little to no VII/PPD additives in them. That not only lends the cleanliness of a straight oil, but imparts a virtually (or much closer to) newtonian viscometric. (that means better permanent shear stability and HTHS).

Fun fact: Pennzoil right now is using their GTL (Fischer-Tropsh derived oils from natural gas) in all of their oils from the basic Yellow bottle to the Platinum Plus.

This means that the 10w30 PYB has a NOACK volatility mass loss of ~4%!!!! That's better than MOST 'SYNTHETIC' OILS.

Refer to the PQIA independent lab study for more info.
http://www.pqiadata.org/Pennzoil10W30.html

There are consolidated results from a given grade on the site. I'm too lazy to find and link those
>>
File: 1367895973804.png (57 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1367895973804.png
57 KB, 250x250
i use 0w-40 penzoil ultra and MMO on my high mileage ka24e 240sx

i get a little more noise but seems fine and accelerates better

next oil change will be 20w-50 valvoline or royal purple
>>
>>14088456
>Fun fact: Pennzoil right now is using their GTL (Fischer-Tropsh derived oils from natural gas) in all of their oils from the basic Yellow bottle to the Platinum Plus.
>>14088366
fuck i payed for my ass to get fucked then?
>>
>>14088465
Yea a little bit. The Pennzoils are a standard tiered marketing model. The Ultra and Platinum Plus will always be GTL based synthetics and they have the best add packs (more solubility improvers/esters which supports their 'better cleaning') and that's good for long drains etc.

But it just so happens that due to the independent test performed, oilfags have discovered that Pennzoil, a Shell subsidiary, is using their GTL base oils in all of their products. The NOACK values strongly suggest this, as even other synthetics cant match such low volatility numbers.

Basically the PYB is much better than it needs to be, and it's been so for about 2 years now. We speculate that since Shell has the largest GTL production facility (Project Pearl) for a few years now, with a surplus of GTL lubricating oil fractions which they do not sell to any other oil company, that it's simply cheaper for Shell/SOPUS subsidiaries to use their synthetic GTL base oil for anything.

BTW that surplus of lubricating oil fractions are the leftovers from the better selling GTL products like synthetic Jet fuel.

So knowing what we shouldn't know, I can say that buying Platinum Plus and Ultra yeilds benefits not justified by the price difference. However there is no guarantee PYB will use synthetic GTL bases forever. FWIW Quaker State also uses GTL bases in it's formulation, as speculated from the NOACK results, but they blend with regular petroleum GrII oil as well.

>tl-dr surplus of some of the cleanest (most saturated) synthetic base oils = yellow bottle secretly gets synthetic bases, putting it head and shoulders over most other conventional oils in a few parameters.
>>
>>14088284
>>14088366
>>14089230
Please impart more of your autism to me, senpai desu.
I used to run Mobil 1's euro car formula in my e320, then moved to Rotella t6 on my last oil change. Are you saying I should switch between summer and winter grades of oil, instead of running an oil that covers the spectrum of the manufacturer's recommendations?
>>
>>14085558
My dad has been smoking for 60 years and nothing bad has happened
>>
>>14089391
>Are you saying I should switch
No. I never mentioned anything about using seasonal grades, that may be an autistic hallucination. I did mention only sub-zero pumpability for the purpose of making a comparison.

Euro cars have tougher specifications governed by the ACEA.
There is a reason most oil blenders have a dedicated Euro oil line using a different formula. Can you guess the reason?
>>
>>14089403
For decades mixed mode fleets use a single fill grade, and that fill grade was 15w40. Everything in the fleet got it from the diesels to the Modulars/SBCs/Toyota. Fleets are hard on their vehicles. Fleet managers don't like using things that cause damage and downtime either.
>>
File: 337-53db49d863fe2.gif (133 KB, 497x501) Image search: [Google]
337-53db49d863fe2.gif
133 KB, 497x501
>>14089431
>Euro cars have tougher specifications governed by the ACEA.
>There is a reason most oil blenders have a dedicated Euro oil line using a different formula. Can you guess the reason?

Milking cash out of gullible dweebs?
Euros are autistic?
Tell me senpai
>>
File: 1420109903917.jpg (3 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
1420109903917.jpg
3 MB, 3504x2336
Hmm so my f22 askes for 5w-30 but I've been running 10w-30 for the past year. I was even thinking of runing 10w-40 for my next oil change?
>>
>>14087364
Yes. Not that anon but using a thicker oil to keep pressure up due to internal wear is a valid tactic (to a point)
>>
>>14085494
If you're engine is heavily abused or if you live somewhere where it's especially cold it could cause problems. It's not that big of a difference though. I'd suggest changing it out if you can afford to.
>>
I run 15w-40 in my honda cb650. Never had a problem with it. Beat on it every summer day.
>>
>>14089497
>longer drain intervals
>more severe driving cycle experienced in domestic market
>Euro engines very sensitive to oil degradation
>MINIMUM HTHS of 3.5 required per ACEA specifications re: wear protection
>Oil lines in North America have low HTHS values and lower shear stability and branded as "Resource Conserving" due to the Low HTHS and generally higher volatility.

eg. ACEA 5w30 and API Starburst 'resource conserving' 5w30 are two entirely different oils, regardless of both being SAE 5W30.
>>
>>14089497
>>14089574
But yeah, to address the price, there is indeed a small level of gauging, like all oils rated over conventional, but the price is more justified on the EURO oils, since they have to be made with better, more expensive ingredients like PAOs, Esters, even PAGs now. Regular "American Synthetic' GrII and III oils that are hydroprocessed from crude oil are not up to the task. Only GrIII+ out of the crude products can meet ACEA specs, but Euro oil blenders do not mess around with refined bases for their flagship products, resorting to the more expensive fluids.
>>
>>14089403
Your dad is 70+?

OIL SAGE IS MY HERO. Why are my cars calling for 0-20? Mpgeez?
>>
>>14089625
One of my great aunts smoked heavily till like 80 something
>>
>>14089632
As did my grandma/girlfriends dad. Guess how they died? One lunh cancer the other copd.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.