[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GOD DAMMIT! Please let it just be the alternator, please let
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: battery-light.jpg (19 KB, 503x398) Image search: [Google]
battery-light.jpg
19 KB, 503x398
GOD DAMMIT!

Please let it just be the alternator, please let it just be the alternator, please let it just be the alternator.

I'm in-between jobs and have no money for anything more costly.

Fuck. Sometimes I really hate owning a car.
>>
>>14083293
wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to replace a batteruy than an alternater?
>>
There's only two things it could possibly be and the alternator is the more expensive one.
>>
> Hate owning a car

Should get a Toyota then. I have a 10 year old battery in mine, which still works perfectly fine.
>>
protip, 99% of the time its not the actual alternator, just the regulator which is a 20-30 dollar part. unless the alternator is physically damaged or bearings failed just replace the regulator.
>>
>>14083314
>just replace the regulator.

Any links to show how?
>>
>>14083319
its just the little black bit on the back of the alternator
>>
>>14083296
>wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to replace a batteruy than an alternater?

You'd have to keep replacing the battery whenever it's charge ran out, which is ridiculous and expensive.
>>
>>14083330
>its just the little black bit on the back of the alternator

Got it. I checked, but O'reilly's doesn't carry them for my car.

Odds are I'll have to replace the alternator.

I can do it myself, I've done it before. But getting the belt back on over the tension bar is a pain with only 2 hands.
>>
>>14083343
test the alternator first dipshit. It should put out 14-16 volts when the egine is running (duh) also, make sure the belt is there (and tight). find out if your alternator has a clutch, then see if its good, then test the regulator and diode trio, if those are good, replace the brushes for about 5 bucks and you'll be fine.
>>
>>14083391
This.
Randomly replacing parts on your car is not good diagnostic process.
>>
>>14083391

I thought the battery light was the indicator for the alternator, if it went bad.

The battery is new so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.
>>
>>14083561
The battery light means low voltage you dipstick
>>
>>14083602
>The battery light means low voltage you dipstick

caused by a failing alternator.
>>
>>14083610
Well, yeah, indirectly. Shouldn't have insulted. Sorry.
>>
>>14083391
>14-16 volts
>alternator clutch

Plz stop
>>
>>14083610
It only means low voltage and nothing else.
It's on you to find out what causes it.
>>
>>14083618

I just need to keep it simple. If the alternator isn't producing enough to keep the battery charged, I'll just replace it.

I just hope it isn't something more like the car's computer going haywire.

If it's the alternator, I can fix that myself.
>>
>>14083631
Pretty easy when you think about it, if the car is running and the low voltage indicator came on its the alternator. Start the car and disconnect the battery and you won't get a low voltage light if the alternator is good.
>>
>>14083649
As been mentioned recently, the light measures voltage not on the alternator, but somewhere else.
>>
>>14083602
Not necessarily.

On my car it was a blown Alternator Sense Circuit fuse. Alternator was actually charging fine.
>>
>>14083622
http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/accessory-belt-drive-system/alternator-decoupler-pulleys-adp

Today you learned.
>>
>>14083331
I think he meant that the battery was the only problem.
>>
File: 150a_midi_fuse.jpg (5 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
150a_midi_fuse.jpg
5 KB, 160x160
>ib4 OP tried to jump his shit backwards and popped a fuse.
>>
>>14084499
>>ib4 OP tried to jump his shit backwards and popped a fuse.

It's a brand new battery, why would I try to jump it?

The car starts and runs fine, it's just that the battery light is on.
>>
File: 12monkeys-brad-pitt-1.jpg (114 KB, 1283x690) Image search: [Google]
12monkeys-brad-pitt-1.jpg
114 KB, 1283x690
i got fucked hard recently on a high milage car.
>alt belt snapped on a long trip, ran the battery down.
in a place with no charger, take another long trip off a jump and charge the battery with the alt for a couple hours, kills the voltage regulator.
>replace regulator

>starter seizing/sparking from old age and sitting for a while

getting a second replacement battery because my dad bought me a shit wallmart battery, still has a bit of warranty though, nooch

just
>>
File: S51221-022214.jpg (390 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
S51221-022214.jpg
390 KB, 1280x800
>>14085998
inb4 hike school
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.